Hitachi Plasma 50" 1080

He says it is an ASIS interlaced panel..But he also explained that there is NO differenc between the two systems because the Hitachi UPSCALES everything and looks as good as a real 1080P. What a confusion.!!!

That's actually 'ALIS'.

What you may have been looking at was the 1280x1080i Hitachi. This is not the same as their 1920x1080p panel, which, if the posts earlier in the thread are correct is not on display yet.

Edit. Just realised - if it is actually the P50X01, then it's not an ALIS panel, but is a true progressive 1920x1080p panel, and the salesman was wrong (as is often the case). Are you sure about the model number? If it was P50H01, then it's the 1280x1080 ALIS model.

Edited by jakes

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's actually 'ALIS'.

What you may have been looking at was the 1280x1080i Hitachi. This is not the same as their 1920x1080p panel, which, if the posts earlier in the thread are correct is not on display yet.

Edit. Just realised - if it is actually the P50X01, then it's not an ALIS panel, but is a true progressive 1920x1080p panel, and the salesman was wrong (as is often the case). Are you sure about the model number?

Yep ALIS thanks for correcting. Just like my brilliant 42" Hitachi 7000MA. I believe I was looking at the 1920 1080P P50XO1AU. The marked price was $5559.. I think the sale guy was describing it wrong..However If I'm mistaken and i was looking at the 1280 xx1080i then the pic was very good... If you or anybody is near that set maybe you could check the model number properly. Actually I'll call HN now and have them check the model number.. I'll be back

Yep ALIS thanks for correcting. Just like my brilliant 42" Hitachi 7000MA. I believe I was looking at the 1920 1080P P50XO1AU. The marked price was $5559.. I think the sale guy was describing it wrong..However If I'm mistaken and i was looking at the 1280 xx1080i then the pic was very good... If you or anybody is near that set maybe you could check the model number properly. Actually I'll call HN now and have them check the model number.. I'll be back

So here's the latest. The Hitachi set at HN Balgowlah IS def the P50X01AU..But the sales guy spoke with other sales guy and he also tells me it is NOT 1080P but 1080 interlaced. I've asked him to call Hitachi and he will call back..perhaps.

I was very tempted to buy this one today at Harvey Norman in the Supacentre Moore Park.

Here is the spec sheet from Hitachi AU - P50X01AU Spec Sheet

Picture looked very nice with the demo video but dim compared to the LCDs all around. The dimness was extremely obvious when playing the same video loop as the other sets in the store.

Price was awesome, cash getting to around 4600.

Even still I am close to buying, I'd just like to get some feedback on testing it with content similar to what I would be viewing at home, which is digital FTA and Fox digital, not Blu-Ray yet :)

Also, guys in Harvey Norman Bondi Junction barely knew how to operate the thing and the best they could get on it was a crappy image from an internal antenna. Not sure how those guys manage to sell tv's because they have been next to useless every time I've been there.

wow, this looks like a beauty on paper, hope its as good in terms of PQ...

1080p, 24fps, HDMI v1.3, swivel stand etc, looks like its got the lot!

hmm, might be time to trade-up

no doubt that will come down as competition heats up with the new pana's and pioneers.

this is the first plasma i have seen that ticks ALL the boxes for me

when i have some more time i will get them to hook up a ps3 and hd-dvd player to it so i can put it through its paces

it does 1080p 24/50/50 on component and hdmi inputs

wow, this looks like a beauty on paper, hope its as good in terms of PQ...

1080p, 24fps, HDMI v1.3, swivel stand etc, looks like its got the lot!

hmm, might be time to trade-up

Okay so the HN sales guy spoke with Hitachi rep and he says yep def 1080P..They don't mark their specs sheets with P or i so there is a bit of doubt out there as to the exact spec..and of course for us 'fussy experts' it is important.. So we're 99% certain that the set on display ay HN Balgowlah IS the new Hitachi P50XO1AU 1080 P progressive scan unit.....the best. Now all we have to do is wait until they get time to swing an arial across to it with an STB and we can see it as it should look at home.. careful , though they swing the contrast up to MAX..

this is the first plasma i have seen that ticks ALL the boxes for me

when i have some more time i will get them to hook up a ps3 and hd-dvd player to it so i can put it through its paces

it does 1080p 24/50/50 on component and hdmi inputs

same here, so will be interested to hear your thoughts re the PS3 and HD-DVD.

the only box without a tick at this stage seems to be if its 100hz or not.

Im buyinbg a 50" plasma/lcd next month and am too interested in this unit.

Just to add to this mystery I had noticed that at HN Moore Park Sydney yesterday that indeed it was the P50X01AU witch is supposed to be the 1920X1080P(and I double checked the model No' there) non Alis panel and that it had an ALIS logo on the left hand bottom of the panel.Now to totally confuse all, the Pixel Magic HD player playing the Hitachi loop tops out at 1280X1080.(I know because I was looking at one couple of months back!)Now can someone at Hitachi please sort this out because as happy owner of a 42" PD7800TA who has been waiting for 1080P plasma and totally unimpressed by the crappy previous model 50"(50PD960DTA) and yes it was crappy compared to previous models.Or someone at HN...but that might be asking for a bit much!

Hey Guys,

Aren't you getting a bit confused by 1080P signal and ALiS technology? You can render a progressive signal on an ALiS panel. ALiS just means the alternating lines are "lit" sequentially by the same electrodes and hence saves space and gives supposedly better brightness. It marries well with interlaced signals but can still render progressive ones as well.

Philip

Edited by pjc

Hey Guys,

Aren't you getting a bit confused by 1080P signal and ALiS technology?

Possibly. Possibly not. The Hitachi P50H01 is a 1280x1080 ALiS panel. Hitachi explicitly specify that it is ALiS. The P50X01 is a 1920x1080 panel. However, Hitachi do not indicate that this panel employs ALiS, so my assumption is that it does not. Both panels will accept a 1080p input.

Edited by jakes

You can render a progressive signal on an ALiS panel. ALiS just means the alternating lines are "lit" sequentially by the same electrodes and hence saves space and gives supposedly better brightness. It marries well with interlaced signals but can still render progressive ones as well.

Philip

Are you saying that when you give a progressive signal to an ALiS that it will go into some other mode where it will start lighting up all 1024x1024 (or 1280x1080) pixels at once?

Okay so the HN sales guy spoke with Hitachi rep and he says yep def 1080P..They don't mark their specs sheets with P or i so there is a bit of doubt out there as to the exact spec..and of course for us 'fussy experts' it is important.. So we're 99% certain that the set on display ay HN Balgowlah IS the new Hitachi P50XO1AU 1080 P progressive scan unit.....the best. Now all we have to do is wait until they get time to swing an arial across to it with an STB and we can see it as it should look at home.. careful , though they swing the contrast up to MAX..

the problem is the p50x01au is true 1920*1080p panel yes it is a alis panel , all hitachi are alis panels, the salesman at harveys wouldnt know if his head was screwed on.... the key difference is 24 frames per sec , the panasonics are not bad but to future proof yourself , you want 24p , the panasonic panels are not as bright as the hitachi full 1080p 50 there 1080p are not as bright as there current 70a range..... ... and there 42 insnt as bright as there 50..... thats the 1080p panel........ harvey norman cant get the 1280 *1080 panel... for a few weeks......

the problem is the p50x01au is true 1920*1080p panel yes it is a alis panel , all hitachi are alis panels, the salesman at harveys wouldnt know if his head was screwed on.... the key difference is 24 frames per sec , the panasonics are not bad but to future proof yourself , you want 24p , the panasonic panels are not as bright as the hitachi full 1080p 50 there 1080p are not as bright as there current 70a range..... ... and there 42 insnt as bright as there 50..... thats the 1080p panel........ harvey norman cant get the 1280 *1080 panel... for a few weeks......

Aha! Not only clarity on the screen but clear information about the product. We know it is not fully understand by the HN sales staff..I wish they wouldn't throws tech specs around as if they were bible. Your brightness factor on the Hitachi over the new panasonic is kinda important..So an ALIS panel with a 1080P setup from Hitachi with their 24fps frame rate conversion should be the best of all possible worlds. Right? ...and all of this is available in the Hitachi P50X01AU.

Are you saying that when you give a progressive signal to an ALiS that it will go into some other mode where it will start lighting up all 1024x1024 (or 1280x1080) pixels at once?

No, not different mode but it just displays each line sequentially (at 60Hz I beleive). If you don't look directly at the panel, you can see the flicker in your peripheral vision. Remember the 1024x1080 panell still have 1105920 pixels - they are just activated in a different way to other technology. Likewise the 1920 x 1080 panels still have 2073600 pixels .. one for every peice of information in the 1080p signal (forgetting processing for the moment) .. but the panel just activated the pixels in a different and more efficient manner (or so Hitachi/Fujitsu believe).

Philip

PS, I'm happy to be corrected in that the p50x01au is not an ALiS panel but what I am saying is you can have a full HD 1080 ALiS panel displaying a 1080p signal.

Edited by pjc

the Hitachi Aus website/specs dont mention ALiS specifically, but have a look at hitachi.com and it talks about the new 1080p "Full HD" panel being an ALiS panel, so I'm sure the local model is as well.

as pjc and hddvduser have mentioned, it is still a proper 1080p panel, its just that it uses a different technology to activate the pixels. personally, i couldnt care less if its ALiS or not, i just want a 1080p display with all the key features 24fps, HDMI 1.3 etc that looks good to my eyes.

At what frequency will this unit display 24p?

I imagine it needs to be a multiple of 24 to avoid the processing that causes issues like judder.

US models refresh 5 times at 120hz which matches up with 30fps content as well.

Will we still incur the 4% speedup with 100hz in Aus? or will this model do 72hz?

Ok I'm confused. Is this panel ALiS - that is, does it only display an interlaced signal? Or does it DISPLAY in true 1080p?

I've tried to Google the answer and some places say one thing, some say the other. Does anyone actually KNOW?

I note the official Hitachi site describes the P50X01 Full HD TV as

'' 127cm 1920 x 1080 Full HD Plasma panel ''

but it describes the P50H01 HD TV as

'' 127cm 1280 x 1080 HD ALiS Plasma panel ''

That suggests to me the P50X01 is NOT ALiS - but I'm not sure.

ideas?

hey guys just got the latest jb hi fi catalog and they have the pana 1080 p 50 for $4993 released mid sep does anyone know will it do 24htz like the hitachi. i am going to wait to see these 2 side by side before i buy.like i said the every sales guy(4) different hn stores have been unimpresed with hitachi pq just have to wait what the pana comes up with. cheers <_<

Ok I'm confused. Is this panel ALiS - that is, does it only display an interlaced signal? Or does it DISPLAY in true 1080p?

I've tried to Google the answer and some places say one thing, some say the other. Does anyone actually KNOW?

I note the official Hitachi site describes the P50X01 Full HD TV as

'' 127cm 1920 x 1080 Full HD Plasma panel ''

but it describes the P50H01 HD TV as

'' 127cm 1280 x 1080 HD ALiS Plasma panel ''

That suggests to me the P50X01 is NOT ALiS - but I'm not sure.

ideas?

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/08/29/hitac...-1080p-plasmas/

this show it is alia technology

No, not different mode but it just displays each line sequentially (at 60Hz I beleive). If you don't look directly at the panel, you can see the flicker in your peripheral vision. Remember the 1024x1080 panell still have 1105920 pixels - they are just activated in a different way to other technology. Likewise the 1920 x 1080 panels still have 2073600 pixels .. one for every peice of information in the 1080p signal (forgetting processing for the moment) .. but the panel just activated the pixels in a different and more efficient manner (or so Hitachi/Fujitsu believe).

So let me get this right, instead of changing the entire image at once, it lights up the pixels one row after another from top to bottom like a progressive scan CRT does? If so then that is quite a revelation as I always thought the ALiS plasmas were interlaced (lighting up lines 1,3,5 etc. then 2,4,6 etc).

This would mean ALiS has been pretty much 1080p all along then?

Edited by Ikari