Austar Technicians Group

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pardon my cynicism but how do we know if this group isn't some sneaky tactic by an already untrustworthy Austar/Foxtel/ATS management to punish installers who openly gripe about them? Providing a copy of a subcontractor ID is almost certainly in breach of the contract , and is a bit sus' as is asking for the management dispatch area. Easy enough to establish whether a subby is genuine enough by providing a questionnaire to establish bona fides without requiring identity

eg:

Who earns more? (a) An austar installer (B) Someone who is not an austar installer

True or False: Installers opinions are always respected

Wait times for the ATS Dispatch IVR are (a) 1 hour (B) 2 hours c) ZZZZ

And so on and so forth

For all the Austar Techs out there.

New discussion group just for Austar/Foxtel Techs.

You will have to provide evidence or be invited to join.

http://groups.google.com/group/ausfox?hl=en

Thats where it is.

Edited by Eddy Current

• 4 weeks later...
Guest paulwho

Hi there Forum > I know I might be in the wrong area but I can't seem to do a new post.

My question is that I'm thinking about buying a 'Arion AF3330 Digital Satelite Reciever' & will I be able to run my TV antana through this box as well as Satellite Pay TV ?

Regards Paul

Guest dasher1503561734
For all the Austar Techs out there.

New discussion group just for Austar/Foxtel Techs.

You will have to provide evidence or be invited to join.

http://groups.google.com/group/ausfox?hl=en

Thats where it is.

Seems a bit cynical and clansdine to me as well. Half the installers in my area are devious, dishonest mongerals who make it hard for us honest ones. Plus ATS and BSA are known to plant spies on web sites to monitor.

Are you one?

Seems a bit cynical and clansdine to me as well. Half the installers in my area are devious, dishonest mongerals who make it hard for us honest ones. Plus ATS and BSA are known to plant spies on web sites to monitor.

Are you one?

Hmmm, you sound like the bloke who goes into his workplace with a gun to kill everyone because they told you to %$^ off.

Are you a loner?

What a claim to make. I wonder why you would come into contact with half the installers in the first instance, even if you worked for ATS/BSA????

PS. This is an old post, catch up.

Edited by whispa1970

Hi there Forum > I know I might be in the wrong area but I can't seem to do a new post.

My question is that I'm thinking about buying a 'Arion AF3330 Digital Satelite Reciever' & will I be able to run my TV antana through this box as well as Satellite Pay TV ?

Regards Paul

Paul,

You need a minimum of 5 posts before you can start a new topic.

Yes, you can loop your terrestrial antenna through this box.

It also has a UHF RF modulator.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dasher1503561734
Hmmm, you sound like the bloke who goes into his workplace with a gun to kill everyone because they told you to %$^ off.

Are you a loner?

What a claim to make. I wonder why you would come into contact with half the installers in the first instance, even if you worked for ATS/BSA????

PS. This is an old post, catch up.

I have been installing for over 18 years. I remember when BSA was originally Acesat and the directors, now, had SRS which Comet Sat and Cable bought. I know/knew all owners.

ATS/UCG started in Wollongong and I knew Ralph Lumu and all all his top men.

I make it my business to know who is installing in my region as do trades people, sparkies/plumbers etc.

I can tell by looking closely at an installation who has done it in my region. If there is one different I make time to find out who done it.

If you have a difference of understanding with the above companies they cut off work and give it to another tech.

I have contracts with other companies, too, and so ride this out.

No one tells me to F off but seeing some of the work done and the luck of avoiding the quality investigator makes me shake my head.

We all have a patch to install in and so why not protect it. Most customers know me and call me first if there is a problem instead of being stuffed around by ATS etc. My advice is free.

I take/have pride in my work. A lot don't.

Edited by dasher1503561734

I have been installing for over 18 years. I remember when BSA was originally Acesat and the directors, now, had SRS which Comet Sat and Cable bought. I know/knew all owners.

I make it my business to know who is installing in my region as do trades people, sparkies/plumbers etc.

I can tell by looking closely at an installation who has done it in my region. If there is one different I make time to find out who done it.

If you have a difference of understanding with the above companies they cut off work and give it to another tech.

No one tells me to F off but seeing some of the work done and the luck of avoiding the quality investigator makes me shake my head.

We all have a patch to install in and so why not protect it. Most customers know me and call me first if there is a problem instead of being stuffed around by ATS etc. My advice is free.

Quality is the key. I've seen so many dodgy installs. Sure, customer just wants it to work but when I see people put electrical tape on the cable connection to the LNB (or no tape at all) - no matter how water proof the compression connectors are, then thats just poor. The other is not leaving enough slack around the LNB incase you need to re-crimp the connection BECAUSE someone used the old crimp style connectors and the connector wasn't waterproof anymore and corroded the cable and LNB on the inside.

The best one to date that I've seen is a hills dish installed and fixed by one u bolt when two are provided. I suppose like in any other workplace, when time runs out to finish something properly, quality is compromised. I also understand that there are some things that usually would be done but are not essential, but a good installer should know which corners are the right corners to cut. Not having a customer's dish fixed to the mount properly is just ridiculous. That can blow off and hit someone. I also understand that there is a school of thought of 'there should be no such thing as cutting corners" but the winning counter argument is people have to make a living somehow too...

Anyway, thats just my two cents as a matter of opinion on this point.

Quality is the key. I've seen so many dodgy installs. Sure, customer just wants it to work but when I see people put electrical tape on the cable connection to the LNB (or no tape at all) - no matter how water proof the compression connectors are, then thats just poor. The other is not leaving enough slack around the LNB incase you need to re-crimp the connection BECAUSE someone used the old crimp style connectors and the connector wasn't waterproof anymore and corroded the cable and LNB on the inside.

The best one to date that I've seen is a hills dish installed and fixed by one u bolt when two are provided. I suppose like in any other workplace, when time runs out to finish something properly, quality is compromised. I also understand that there are some things that usually would be done but are not essential, but a good installer should know which corners are the right corners to cut. Not having a customer's dish fixed to the mount properly is just ridiculous. That can blow off and hit someone. I also understand that there is a school of thought of 'there should be no such thing as cutting corners" but the winning counter argument is people have to make a living somehow too...

Anyway, thats just my two cents as a matter of opinion on this point.

As you would know, the new compression connectors that are fitted can NOT have Amalgam tape or any other tape placed on them.

BUT, you would know that.

BUT, they do place plastic caps over them as the new connectors are required to breath, get wet and dry as a matter of course.

The installations I have seen from 4 years ago and earlier are very poor, this was because there was no quality control, unlike today where quality control is far better, BUT some installs will get through that do not comply with the requirements.

If an install does not meet the standards, the tech has to go back and rectify it at his own cost within a small time frame, around 4 days, if that doesn't happen, they send another tech and the tech at fault is billed for the re-work.

99.5% of techs do an excellent job. Good work boys and girls and thankyou.

Edited by whispa1970

• 3 weeks later...

Mate,

Just read you post and can't understand what you are trying o say ...

Why someone would f. bother investigating some else installation ? Are you getting paid for that ?

Unless you work full-time for BSA or other ripping-off company who takes bloody everything from installers these days, it explains everything ...

Guest dasher1503561734
Mate,

Just read you post and can't understand what you are trying o say ...

Why someone would f. bother investigating some else installation ? Are you getting paid for that ?

Unless you work full-time for BSA or other ripping-off company who takes bloody everything from installers these days, it explains everything ...

Well there are two things I look at in my travels; good looking sorts and sat dishes. Most are good in both but then one comes across a stunner in the women and a crap install on the dish side.

Ever seen a dish on a roof with where the mount is wonky or cabling is ****? I have and it makes me sad that that there are people out there that have no pride or morals in their work.

Well there are two things I look at in my travels; good looking sorts and sat dishes. Most are good in both but then one comes across a stunner in the women and a crap install on the dish side.

Ever seen a dish on a roof with where the mount is wonky or cabling is ****? I have and it makes me sad that that there are people out there that have no pride or morals in their work.

do not have any other question, mate ...

read how the thread is called - it is for technicians, it is NOT for bloody Fukstel/BSA/Austar's QAs/supervisors/auditors ...

you are paid by ****stel/Austar/BAS for f.cking us, but do not forget that technician are on other side - we have to work hard to make money you are getting for driving and f. us ...

and we have to work so that we are sure it is going to be job for us in the future, i.e. service calls to fix services ...

We are f. do not care about your moral or f. pride ...

Do not forget to pass all these to Fukstel/Austar/BSA/... that what you are getting paid for ...

Hey guys I just brought a new foxtel normal digital remote, the guys at JB told me that the foxtel remote would work on the Austar set top box, but for some reason it won't, can anyone please help me, tell me how to get it working. Thanks heaps.

as far as I know Foxtel remote won't work with Austar box ... need to get Austar remote control

Guest dasher1503561734

read how the thread is called - it is for technicians, it is NOT for bloody Fukstel/BSA/Austar's QAs/supervisors/auditors ...

you are paid by ****stel/Austar/BAS for f.cking us, but do not forget that technician are on other side - we have to work hard to make money you are getting for driving and f. us ...

and we have to work so that we are sure it is going to be job for us in the future, i.e. service calls to fix services ...

Do not forget to pass all these to Fukstel/Austar/BSA/... that what you are getting paid for ...

Actually I am an installer boy.

Have been for a long time and am proud of it as have seen it rise from big dishes, inclined orbit, to what is required now.

It is your type that give us all a bad name.

Bet the local dump is neater than your abode.

When was the last time you polished your work boots or changed your work clothes?

Your van would have been last washed when it rained wouldn't it?

Have complaints been received about you for shoddy work and swearing at customers? I think there would have been.

Get a life and take pride in what you do or get out of the industry.

Guest dasher1503561734

Have been for a long time and am proud of it as have seen it rise from big dishes, inclined orbit, to what is required now.

When was the last time you polished your work boots or changed your work clothes?

Have complaints been received about you for shoddy work and swearing at customers? I think there would have been.

Hardly an industry, and I wouldn't exactly give us the label of technician, it is offensive to those who actually are techs, done apprenticeships and obtained the qualifications.

Installing Austar or FTA has no qualifications and absolutly no regulation.

I too am an installer, and a tech by trade, and this doesnt qualify as a proffession, I am sorry.

But having said that, 99% of installers do an excellent job, dont can the rest for the minority you are trying to degrade.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Hardly an industry, and I wouldn't exactly give us the label of technician, it is offensive to those who actually are techs, done apprenticeships and obtained the qualifications.

Installing Austar or FTA has no qualifications and absolutly no regulation.

I too am an installer, and a tech by trade, and this doesnt qualify as a proffession, I am sorry.

But having said that, 99% of installers do an excellent job, dont can the rest for the minority you are trying to degrade.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

My main point is how we could be proud of what we are doing when Austar/Fakstel/Optus/BSA/Downer treat all technicians like sheet ?

How many times you have been told by BSA/Downer/Austar that you are free to do if you do not like something ?

How many unfair fine you received from them ?

If you have been given faulty STU and within 3 days they arranged service call and you dot $43 fine, is it fair ?

Can you do anything about this ?

Is it legal that they deduct fines from your invoice ? NO, they can't take anything from our invoice at all - they have to pay us and deal with fines later on - they can't change our invoice amounts !

CEPU www.cepu.asn.au and TCSA is the way to go so that all techs get united !

Do you remeber 2004 when Foxtel/Telstra wanted to pay $20 for phone line connecting while Telstra charge $150 for the same job ?

If CEPU did not support us back in 2004 and everyone went on strike we still would be running phone line for $20 as in N.Z. sometime spending up to 1 hour on phone line job.

And after that we have to be proud ?

I do not give a sheet about Foxtel/Austar/BSA/Downer - they all are the same - they want you do do more and more every year for less money !

Edited by Sidor

Guest dasher1503561734
My main point is how we could be proud of what we are doing when Austar/Fakstel/Optus/BSA/Downer treat all technicians like sheet ?

How many times you have been told by BSA/Downer/Austar that you are free to do if you do not like something ?

If you have been given faulty STU and within 3 days they arranged service call and you dot $43 fine, is it fair ?

Is it legal that they deduct fines from your invoice ? NO, they can't take anything from our invoice at all - they have to pay us and deal with fines later on - they can't change our invoice amounts !

Do you remeber 2004 when Foxtel/Telstra wanted to pay $20 for phone line connecting while Telstra charge $150 for the same job ?

If CEPU did not support us back in 2004 and everyone went on strike we still would be running phone line for $20 as in N.Z. sometime spending up to 1 hour on phone line job.

I do not give a sheet about Foxtel/Austar/BSA/Downer - they all are the same - they want you do do more and more every year for less money !

You are correct in what you say Sidor.

There is a way around fines as long as you know some one up high at Austar/Fakstel/Optus/BSA/Downer. I have never been fined and am sorry for people that have been.

I threaten and will to take them to the small claim court if they press it. It is also illegal to do what they are doing. Phone the ACCC, explain, and listen to what they say.

CEPU are not worth it. I had a blue with them and it took me a couple of years to get them to accept my resignation. I was their rep here once.

When Telstra started doing the remote Austar work it was me who negotiated with them for good prices and so now prices are 30% better than ATS etc but I can see a screw coming up now all is controlled by HillbillySA.

Telstra has a lot going with NextG and if you have a cabling cert it is worth contacting them or their head contractor. They seem to be looking after their workers.

You are right, contractors for Austar and foxtel are being paid 1/3rd of what other installers are being paid for the same work in the same industry, that is installing dishes for companies for various uses.

Also, the going rate should be a minimum of $60 and hour for labour, not the current $33 or there abouts.

Travel should be considered, 100 kilometers a day is fair and is paid aparently in the cost. Anything over 100 kilometers for the day is charged at .90 cents / kilometer.

When you are rostered for 8 hours work, you actually get about 8.5 to 9.5 and this does not include travel. Some jobs can cover 2 hours travel between areas and then travel between houses without extra payment.

No fine penalty. It's just a way of returning revenue. Also contractors MUST be consulted prior, there have been instances of faulty Hills provided items and the original techs being back charged.

They do want you to do more, but ATS are far better than BSA. I would not want to work for them, I have heard about the fine system and that is incredibly unfair.

Edited by whispa1970

• 3 weeks later...

This is unbelievable but BSA Ltd / Foxtel has recently started giving us so-called Hard Disconnection ( DS ) jobs which means just to come and pick-up box and card and they are paying for this job just $18 !

Can you believe this ?

This is the worst RIP-OFF in ALL times !

They usually pay $39 for pick-up the box/card from the customer but now they want us to do it nearly for free.

To make these $18 you have to travel to customer house, pick-up box/card, make a phone call where they will keep you on hold for 15-20min, take box/card home, keep them at home, deliver to their warehouse - and all these for $18

Question: How much will left you after all these expenses ?

anyone else from Downer/foxtel ?

Edited by Sidor

Question: How much will left you after all these expenses ?

How much left?..... it's worse than that... you not only have nothing left, but you are running at a loss!

Even $38 doesn't cover expenses.

In many regional areas, it may involve several hours travel, so it's not just time, it's fuel, wear & tear on the vehicle, loss of income from being unable to do other jobs in that time, etc etc.

And they wonder why subbies are quitting in droves... :lol:

I'm in Grafton, NSW and the guy that installed the new MyStar box this morning worked for ATS. He seemed pretty happy and reckoned he is getting paid fairly, 90-95% of jobs can be done within the expected time etc. Reading this thread he was either full of crap or has been in even crappier paying jobs his whole life lol.