Sign in to follow this  
whispa1970

Austar Technicians Group

Pardon my cynicism but how do we know if this group isn't some sneaky tactic by an already untrustworthy Austar/Foxtel/ATS management to punish installers who openly gripe about them? Providing a copy of a subcontractor ID is almost certainly in breach of the contract , and is a bit sus' as is asking for the management dispatch area. Easy enough to establish whether a subby is genuine enough by providing a questionnaire to establish bona fides without requiring identity

eg:

Who earns more? (a) An austar installer (B) Someone who is not an austar installer

True or False: Installers opinions are always respected

Wait times for the ATS Dispatch IVR are (a) 1 hour (B) 2 hours c) ZZZZ

And so on and so forth

For all the Austar Techs out there.

New discussion group just for Austar/Foxtel Techs.

You will have to provide evidence or be invited to join.

http://groups.google.com/group/ausfox?hl=en

Thats where it is.

Edited by Eddy Current

Hi there Forum > I know I might be in the wrong area but I can't seem to do a new post.

My question is that I'm thinking about buying a 'Arion AF3330 Digital Satelite Reciever' & will I be able to run my TV antana through this box as well as Satellite Pay TV ?

Regards Paul

For all the Austar Techs out there.

New discussion group just for Austar/Foxtel Techs.

You will have to provide evidence or be invited to join.

http://groups.google.com/group/ausfox?hl=en

Thats where it is.

Seems a bit cynical and clansdine to me as well. Half the installers in my area are devious, dishonest mongerals who make it hard for us honest ones. Plus ATS and BSA are known to plant spies on web sites to monitor.

Are you one?

Seems a bit cynical and clansdine to me as well. Half the installers in my area are devious, dishonest mongerals who make it hard for us honest ones. Plus ATS and BSA are known to plant spies on web sites to monitor.

Are you one?

Hmmm, you sound like the bloke who goes into his workplace with a gun to kill everyone because they told you to %$^ off.

Are you a loner?

What a claim to make. I wonder why you would come into contact with half the installers in the first instance, even if you worked for ATS/BSA????

PS. This is an old post, catch up.

Edited by whispa1970

Hi there Forum > I know I might be in the wrong area but I can't seem to do a new post.

My question is that I'm thinking about buying a 'Arion AF3330 Digital Satelite Reciever' & will I be able to run my TV antana through this box as well as Satellite Pay TV ?

Regards Paul

Paul,

You need a minimum of 5 posts before you can start a new topic.

Yes, you can loop your terrestrial antenna through this box.

It also has a UHF RF modulator.

Hmmm, you sound like the bloke who goes into his workplace with a gun to kill everyone because they told you to %$^ off.

Are you a loner?

What a claim to make. I wonder why you would come into contact with half the installers in the first instance, even if you worked for ATS/BSA????

PS. This is an old post, catch up.

I have been installing for over 18 years. I remember when BSA was originally Acesat and the directors, now, had SRS which Comet Sat and Cable bought. I know/knew all owners.

ATS/UCG started in Wollongong and I knew Ralph Lumu and all all his top men.

I make it my business to know who is installing in my region as do trades people, sparkies/plumbers etc.

I can tell by looking closely at an installation who has done it in my region. If there is one different I make time to find out who done it.

If you have a difference of understanding with the above companies they cut off work and give it to another tech.

I have contracts with other companies, too, and so ride this out.

No one tells me to F off but seeing some of the work done and the luck of avoiding the quality investigator makes me shake my head.

We all have a patch to install in and so why not protect it. Most customers know me and call me first if there is a problem instead of being stuffed around by ATS etc. My advice is free.

I take/have pride in my work. A lot don't.

Edited by dasher

I have been installing for over 18 years. I remember when BSA was originally Acesat and the directors, now, had SRS which Comet Sat and Cable bought. I know/knew all owners.

I make it my business to know who is installing in my region as do trades people, sparkies/plumbers etc.

I can tell by looking closely at an installation who has done it in my region. If there is one different I make time to find out who done it.

If you have a difference of understanding with the above companies they cut off work and give it to another tech.

No one tells me to F off but seeing some of the work done and the luck of avoiding the quality investigator makes me shake my head.

We all have a patch to install in and so why not protect it. Most customers know me and call me first if there is a problem instead of being stuffed around by ATS etc. My advice is free.

Quality is the key. I've seen so many dodgy installs. Sure, customer just wants it to work but when I see people put electrical tape on the cable connection to the LNB (or no tape at all) - no matter how water proof the compression connectors are, then thats just poor. The other is not leaving enough slack around the LNB incase you need to re-crimp the connection BECAUSE someone used the old crimp style connectors and the connector wasn't waterproof anymore and corroded the cable and LNB on the inside.

The best one to date that I've seen is a hills dish installed and fixed by one u bolt when two are provided. I suppose like in any other workplace, when time runs out to finish something properly, quality is compromised. I also understand that there are some things that usually would be done but are not essential, but a good installer should know which corners are the right corners to cut. Not having a customer's dish fixed to the mount properly is just ridiculous. That can blow off and hit someone. I also understand that there is a school of thought of 'there should be no such thing as cutting corners" but the winning counter argument is people have to make a living somehow too...

Anyway, thats just my two cents as a matter of opinion on this point.

Quality is the key. I've seen so many dodgy installs. Sure, customer just wants it to work but when I see people put electrical tape on the cable connection to the LNB (or no tape at all) - no matter how water proof the compression connectors are, then thats just poor. The other is not leaving enough slack around the LNB incase you need to re-crimp the connection BECAUSE someone used the old crimp style connectors and the connector wasn't waterproof anymore and corroded the cable and LNB on the inside.

The best one to date that I've seen is a hills dish installed and fixed by one u bolt when two are provided. I suppose like in any other workplace, when time runs out to finish something properly, quality is compromised. I also understand that there are some things that usually would be done but are not essential, but a good installer should know which corners are the right corners to cut. Not having a customer's dish fixed to the mount properly is just ridiculous. That can blow off and hit someone. I also understand that there is a school of thought of 'there should be no such thing as cutting corners" but the winning counter argument is people have to make a living somehow too...

Anyway, thats just my two cents as a matter of opinion on this point.

As you would know, the new compression connectors that are fitted can NOT have Amalgam tape or any other tape placed on them.

BUT, you would know that.

BUT, they do place plastic caps over them as the new connectors are required to breath, get wet and dry as a matter of course.

The installations I have seen from 4 years ago and earlier are very poor, this was because there was no quality control, unlike today where quality control is far better, BUT some installs will get through that do not comply with the requirements.

If an install does not meet the standards, the tech has to go back and rectify it at his own cost within a small time frame, around 4 days, if that doesn't happen, they send another tech and the tech at fault is billed for the re-work.

99.5% of techs do an excellent job. Good work boys and girls and thankyou.

Edited by whispa1970

Mate,

Just read you post and can't understand what you are trying o say ...

Why someone would f. bother investigating some else installation ? Are you getting paid for that ?

Unless you work full-time for BSA or other ripping-off company who takes bloody everything from installers these days, it explains everything ...

Mate,

Just read you post and can't understand what you are trying o say ...

Why someone would f. bother investigating some else installation ? Are you getting paid for that ?

Unless you work full-time for BSA or other ripping-off company who takes bloody everything from installers these days, it explains everything ...

Well there are two things I look at in my travels; good looking sorts and sat dishes. Most are good in both but then one comes across a stunner in the women and a crap install on the dish side.

Ever seen a dish on a roof with where the mount is wonky or cabling is ****? I have and it makes me sad that that there are people out there that have no pride or morals in their work.

Hey guys I just brought a new foxtel normal digital remote, the guys at JB told me that the foxtel remote would work on the Austar set top box, but for some reason it won't, can anyone please help me, tell me how to get it working. Thanks heaps.

Well there are two things I look at in my travels; good looking sorts and sat dishes. Most are good in both but then one comes across a stunner in the women and a crap install on the dish side.

Ever seen a dish on a roof with where the mount is wonky or cabling is ****? I have and it makes me sad that that there are people out there that have no pride or morals in their work.

do not have any other question, mate ...

read how the thread is called - it is for technicians, it is NOT for bloody Fukstel/BSA/Austar's QAs/supervisors/auditors ...

you are paid by ****stel/Austar/BAS for f.cking us, but do not forget that technician are on other side - we have to work hard to make money you are getting for driving and f. us ...

and we have to work so that we are sure it is going to be job for us in the future, i.e. service calls to fix services ...

We are f. do not care about your moral or f. pride ...

Do not forget to pass all these to Fukstel/Austar/BSA/... that what you are getting paid for ...

Hey guys I just brought a new foxtel normal digital remote, the guys at JB told me that the foxtel remote would work on the Austar set top box, but for some reason it won't, can anyone please help me, tell me how to get it working. Thanks heaps.

as far as I know Foxtel remote won't work with Austar box ... need to get Austar remote control

read how the thread is called - it is for technicians, it is NOT for bloody Fukstel/BSA/Austar's QAs/supervisors/auditors ...

you are paid by ****stel/Austar/BAS for f.cking us, but do not forget that technician are on other side - we have to work hard to make money you are getting for driving and f. us ...

and we have to work so that we are sure it is going to be job for us in the future, i.e. service calls to fix services ...

Do not forget to pass all these to Fukstel/Austar/BSA/... that what you are getting paid for ...

Actually I am an installer boy.

Have been for a long time and am proud of it as have seen it rise from big dishes, inclined orbit, to what is required now.

It is your type that give us all a bad name.

Bet the local dump is neater than your abode.

When was the last time you polished your work boots or changed your work clothes?

Your van would have been last washed when it rained wouldn't it?

Have complaints been received about you for shoddy work and swearing at customers? I think there would have been.

Get a life and take pride in what you do or get out of the industry.

Actually I am an installer boy.

Have been for a long time and am proud of it as have seen it rise from big dishes, inclined orbit, to what is required now.

It is your type that give us all a bad name.

Bet the local dump is neater than your abode.

When was the last time you polished your work boots or changed your work clothes?

Your van would have been last washed when it rained wouldn't it?

Have complaints been received about you for shoddy work and swearing at customers? I think there would have been.

Get a life and take pride in what you do or get out of the industry.