Sign in to follow this  
DFgunner

Everyone Been Waiting For.....new Sony Bravia Pricing

how does 24 frames per second fit nicely into a 100 times per second refresh rate

why not 120 Hz like in the US?

Very interesting to see the LED backlighting is finally making it's way onto TV's.

About time.... hopefully it's nicely implemented and we can see better blacks, wider colour gamut, and more uniform luminosity.

....now for the wait for it to go mainstream.

As far as I know and can tell, wider color gamut is the only improvement you will see. You won't see any major improvement in black level nor luminance uniformity on these 70" TV. I have confirm it with my very eyes, when I see these TV on dimly lit environment. I compare it with the newest Sony 52" XBR and 52" X series.

You can only start to see black level improvement on LCD once they properly implement LED backlighting, such as local dimming on the backlight. Luminance uniformity also largely dependent on the panel itself, and backlight are not a major factor that plays in the LCD panel uniformity.

how does 24 frames per second fit nicely into a 100 times per second refresh rate

why not 120 Hz like in the US?

It's because we operate in a 50hz pal environment (as per UK/Europe).

It's because we operate in a 50hz pal environment (as per UK/Europe).

Its an LCD display it should be able to run at both 100Hz and 120Hz. They haven't down this as it would cost more money.

It would be cool if Sony set up one of those 70" TV's in a dedicated room in their stores and hired the use of a room on an hourly basis.

As far as I know and can tell, wider color gamut is the only improvement you will see. You won't see any major improvement in black level nor luminance uniformity on these 70" TV. I have confirm it with my very eyes, when I see these TV on dimly lit environment. I compare it with the newest Sony 52" XBR and 52" X series.

You can only start to see black level improvement on LCD once they properly implement LED backlighting, such as local dimming on the backlight. Luminance uniformity also largely dependent on the panel itself, and backlight are not a major factor that plays in the LCD panel uniformity.

They didn't implement local dimming? sheesh For me I thought that was the whole point of it.

edit: what i mean, is then half the advantage of led is thrown out the window

Edited by Kage Bunshin No Jutsu

the way the aussie dollar has been sinking against the yen if it stays that way they might revise pricing

the way the aussie dollar has been sinking against the yen if it stays that way they might revise pricing

it probably wont, i read somewhere about prices of tv should fall because aussie dollar was so high 2 weeks ago before the market fall and that jb and electronic stores must be earning a lot from the currency exchange.

someone then defended that after 911 the aussie dollar dropped to 50cents against us dollar but prices of tvs still remained the same here. so i doubt prices will change.

it probably wont, i read somewhere about prices of tv should fall because aussie dollar was so high 2 weeks ago before the market fall and that jb and electronic stores must be earning a lot from the currency exchange.

someone then defended that after 911 the aussie dollar dropped to 50cents against us dollar but prices of tvs still remained the same here. so i doubt prices will change.

That would indecate to me that someone was creaming the market when the $$ was high..

That would indecate to me that someone was creaming the market when the $$ was high..

Not necessarily. Most major importers practice currency hedging ('put' and 'call' options) to smooth out the effects of currency fluctuations on their bottom line.

Not necessarily. Most major importers practice currency hedging ('put' and 'call' options) to smooth out the effects of currency fluctuations on their bottom line.

The same way Qantas hedges the price of Fuel.

X and XBR - made in Japan

XBR fixed black panel

X interchangeable panels

XBR - tri-luminous back light

X - improved back light

Apparently the XBR has 30% brighter display than the X

XBR - tri-luminous back light

Nope, only the 70" has the tri-luminous back light, the XBR 40", 46" and 52" has the same backlight as the X.

Apparently the XBR has 30% brighter display than the X

is that why you got rid of your CRT?? :)

fyi,

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/TVs_And_Large...ay/LCD/M3W5B6U4

Sony Bravia 46" LCD TV Now Made In Taiwan

By David Richards and DigiTimes | Sunday | 19/08/2007

Sony, manufacturer of the Bravia LCD TV brand which is facing serious LCD TV shortages in the run up to the pre Xmas TV-buying season and only weeks away from the Rugby World Cup, has moved to source supply from Taiwan in an effort to alleviate the problem.

AU Optronics (AUO), which also manufactures for Dell, Acer and BenQ, is set to ship 46-inch LCD TV panels to Sony Australia. Normally Sony's 46-inch LCD TV panels, which are very popular in Australia, used to only be supplied by S-LCD, a joint venture between Sony and Samsung Electronics, from its seventh-generation (7G) plant.

Earlier this year, AUO landed orders for 40-inch TV panels from Sony and is now set to roll out the 46-inch models which will incorporate the Sony colour engine.

AUO began to volume produce 46-inch LCD TVs at its 7.5G plant in February 2007, according to the company. The panel maker already ships 20-, 26-, 32-inch TV panels for Sony.

In addition to AUO, Sony also purchases TV panels from Taiwan's Chi Mei Optoelectronics (CMO) and Chunghwa Picture Tubes (CPT). Nearly 30% of Sony's TV panels are now sourced from Taiwan-based companies, noted industry sources.

Sony recently opened a logistics center in central Taiwan which will be used mainly for shipping TFT LCD panels from Taiwan to Bravia LCD TV assembly lines located elsewhere, according to the company.

The 46" Bravia LCD TV's being shipped to Australia are, according to Taiwan sources, fully assembled in Taiwan.

:(

just got the XBR aussie brochure from my delaer

Confirms 100 Hz motionflow and Bravia theatre sync (which is sort of broadcast calibration at the touch of a button if u can believe what u read)

My earlier question was

120Hz divided by 24 = 5 (america)

Europe and Australia get a 100 Hz refresh rate . I know its not important but I was just curious how Blu Ray 1080p24 at 24 frames persecond gets processed into a 100 Hz re-fresh rate. It will be interesting if someone ever compared 120Hz with 100Hz TV's for a 1080p24 source

40,46 and 52 inch XBR's are

500cd/m2 brightness

18000:1 dynamic , 2000:1 native

all have integrated HD tuners

Edited by williamtassone

just got the XBR aussie brochure from my delaer

Confirms 100 Hz motionflow and Bravia theatre sync (which is sort of broadcast calibration at the touch of a button if u can believe what u read)

My earlier question was

120Hz divided by 24 = 5 (america)

Europe and Australia get a 100 Hz refresh rate . I know its not important but I was just curious how Blu Ray 1080p24 at 24 frames persecond gets processed into a 100 Hz re-fresh rate. It will be interesting if someone ever compared 120Hz with 100Hz TV's for a 1080p24 source

40,46 and 52 inch XBR's are

500cd/m2 brightness

18000:1 dynamic , 2000:1 native

all have integrated HD tuners

willaim can you scan that brochure and upload it would like to see it

thanks

dont have a scanner, sorry

Hows this for funny - the 70 inch XBR with the Triluminous LED backlight has only an SD tuner on board

The XBR , X and W series are 1920 x1080panels

Guest operator
dont have a scanner, sorry

Hows this for funny - the 70 inch XBR with the Triluminous LED backlight has only an SD tuner on board

The XBR , X and W series are 1920 x1080panels

should look quite impressive blown up to 70"

lord almighty

$70k for 70"

I've no doubt it's better than my sxrd but at $5300 for my 70" sxrd I feel like I stole it in relation to $70k :lol::P