Sign in to follow this  
Ice_Magik

Panasonic Group Buy, Owners Showoff Thread.

Hi guys,

My snail mail with the warranty arrived this morning, and the 50PX700A arrived this arvo.

Only just set it up - so this is out of the box with no adjustments yet.

WOW - very impressed, colours are outstanding (maybe a little too saturated and will probably turn it down a bit).

Old 81cm CRT didn't have component, so DVD was attached only via S-video and quality was still awesome. So looking forward to connecting via component.

Have an MG-350HD media player, so might try some Hi Def materials via HDMI and really see how well this thing works.

VERY VERY happy so far :)

As others have mentioned, the box it comes in is HUGE !!

If you have guests coming over, you can set this up as a spare room ;)

Plasma box comparison

Sinbad DVD

Sinbad DVD#2

Sinbad DVD#3

Sinbad DVD#3 comparison with 81cm TV

Channel 10 HD

Channel 10 HD#2

Try turning your noise reduction up to high maybe ?

The noise comes from the actual screen, not the speakers. Adjusting MPEG Noise Reduction makes no difference. I am going to burn a DVD with this clip that I recorded that has the "noise" as well as Deal or No Deal ghost lines.

I have all this on my HDD recorder. Replaying the cartoon that generates the noise from the screen in PIP mode where the image is not full screen does NOT result in the crackling sound from the TV. I think it's the rapid flashing white/black/white image that must somehow generate "static" or some sort of electrical noise from the screen.

Once I have burnt the DVD I'll get someone else on this forum with a 700a to volunteer to test it as well (or I'll go to the store).

The noise comes from the actual screen, not the speakers. Adjusting MPEG Noise Reduction makes no difference. I am going to burn a DVD with this clip that I recorded that has the "noise" as well as Deal or No Deal ghost lines.

I have all this on my HDD recorder. Replaying the cartoon that generates the noise from the screen in PIP mode where the image is not full screen does NOT result in the crackling sound from the TV. I think it's the rapid flashing white/black/white image that must somehow generate "static" or some sort of electrical noise from the screen.

Once I have burnt the DVD I'll get someone else on this forum with a 700a to volunteer to test it as well (or I'll go to the store).

Maybe take it to a store mate, then you can hear hear which tv does it, and which does not!

Might be wise to get some floor staff in on it to confirm which tv's its comming from!

Edited by Ice_Magik

I'll get some pics up this weekend once i've put it all together again..

Got into abit of a dusting / cleaning frenzy pulling all cables out of received, 360, dvd.....

Then the tv arrived, needless to say, all the cables were left where they were...... :(

Hopefully hd-player and pvr arrive soon......why does Home Entertainment have to be soo addictive and expensive ?

hey Ice...what hd player and pvr did you get and why?.....I am purchasing a 700 soon and will probably get a fully integrated solution including the Panasonic dvd recorder dmrex87(250gb drive) and a home theatre wireless scpt 850 (1200w) which means I can use the Viera link feature to control all the devices thro a single remote...a big plus for me as I detest having multiple remotes !. I know that this is not the forum for home theatre but I would be interested to know if anyone else has put together such a panasonic home entertainment system and what their experiences are....

hey Ice...what hd player and pvr did you get and why?.....I am purchasing a 700 soon and will probably get a fully integrated solution including the Panasonic dvd recorder dmrex87(250gb drive) and a home theatre wireless scpt 850 (1200w) which means I can use the Viera link feature to control all the devices thro a single remote...a big plus for me as I detest having multiple remotes !. I know that this is not the forum for home theatre but I would be interested to know if anyone else has put together such a panasonic home entertainment system and what their experiences are....

If you go to the DVD thread there is a thread about Panasonic DMREX75's. Robert Tobin asked a question about this recorder and mentioned he had a SCPT 850. I asked him what he thought of the unit and his reply was very positive. I would be interested in hearing what you think if you get that set-up as I am looking at getting exactly those items in the next month or so.

I have a DMREX-75 (160 gig HDD) connected to my 700a via HDMI cable. The Viera link isn't anything special. I can press play on the HDD recorder, and the correct AV channel is selected on the TV automatically. Before I bought the HDMI cable, I was still able to control the TV via the HDD recorder's remote control and vice-versa. This is more useful than the Viera link feature.

I also have a Panasonic VCR and Panasonic surround sound receiver (both are non HDMI, and over 4 years old, so cannot utilise Viera link). Rather than buying a universal remote, I'm able to use any of the four remotes to control the TV (power, channel, volume, AV channel setting). I guess that's why I stuck to the one brand - it's made it easier. However I still have a 5th remote for Foxtel. (luckily I gave away my CD player, separate DVD player and other receiver - or I'd have 8 remotes in the living room).

The manuals for the Panasonic remotes also give the codes to control other brands of TVs, VCRs etc.

Hi,

I received my plasma just the other day, 50PX70a.

I have posted this issue about 5 times in the varying threads but its always overlooked and im yet to get any response.

So hopefully here I can get some response.

Is anyone noticing buzz from the rear of the plasma?

I can notice it from my seating position when the audio is silent or muted.

Im not sure if its poor room acoustics but the sound is noticable anywhere in the room when theres no other noise about.

The buzz is the kind of buzz you'd get from high power transformers and almost sounds like the hum/buzz you'd get from a fluoro light. Its a constant buzz and not only when the picture is white or contrast changes as other people have reported with previous generations.

Other than that all seems to run as expected.

Hi,

I received my plasma just the other day, 50PX70a.

I have posted this issue about 5 times in the varying threads but its always overlooked and im yet to get any response.

So hopefully here I can get some response.

Is anyone noticing buzz from the rear of the plasma?

I can notice it from my seating position when the audio is silent or muted.

Im not sure if its poor room acoustics but the sound is noticable anywhere in the room when theres no other noise about.

The buzz is the kind of buzz you'd get from high power transformers and almost sounds like the hum/buzz you'd get from a fluoro light. Its a constant buzz and not only when the picture is white or contrast changes as other people have reported with previous generations.

Other than that all seems to run as expected.

I'm getting the buzz too...noticed as soon as I went through the initial setup. Is this normal? Additionally, these plasmas pump out some heat. Maybe the buzz is the internal fans for cooling???

Can anyone help me out with this.

I've hooked up my new PX4270A to my PC from TV-Out on the video card to a Composite input on the TV. I really need some help with the resolution here.

If I set the TV resolution to anything over 640x480 then the sides of the image are cut off or it pans to the side. 640x480 is fine really because I only watch videos on the TV in full screen (no gaming etc) so it doesn't really matter. However, the video is stretched with big black lines at the top and bottom. I can fix this in Media Player Classic by Scaling to 16:9 TV or by setting the aspect ratio on the TV to Zoom 1.

I know the root of the problem is that the TV's native resolution is 4:3 and it has rectangular pixels, however, I am left to ponder: is there a better way?

Can anyone help me out with this.

I've hooked up my new PX4270A to my PC from TV-Out on the video card to a Composite input on the TV. I really need some help with the resolution here.

If I set the TV resolution to anything over 640x480 then the sides of the image are cut off or it pans to the side. 640x480 is fine really because I only watch videos on the TV in full screen (no gaming etc) so it doesn't really matter. However, the video is stretched with big black lines at the top and bottom. I can fix this in Media Player Classic by Scaling to 16:9 TV or by setting the aspect ratio on the TV to Zoom 1.

I know the root of the problem is that the TV's native resolution is 4:3 and it has rectangular pixels, however, I am left to ponder: is there a better way?

Have you tried connecting the computer to the tv via vga as the 70a has a vga input and you may be able to more precisely match the resolution of the pc to the tv.

Cheers,

Karen

Have you tried connecting the computer to the tv via vga as the 70a has a vga input and you may be able to more precisely match the resolution of the pc to the tv.

Cheers,

Karen

The TV and computer are in different rooms with a 10m composite cable between them and I'm not sure if 10m D-Sub cables exist. I could use D-Sub to Composite adaptors though I suppose.

The TV and computer are in different rooms with a 10m

Ahh ok I see. :blush:

Cheers,

Karen

I'm getting the buzz too...noticed as soon as I went through the initial setup. Is this normal? Additionally, these plasmas pump out some heat. Maybe the buzz is the internal fans for cooling???

I beleive having some buzz is normal but how much. I went to see someone else with a 700 plasma and they seem to have the same buzz so I guess its normal. There arent any cooling fans in plasmas these days.

As for the heat, I thought it wasnt so bad and alot less hot than screens used to get.

Yeah...I am getting it on my 700a. Seems to be coming out the back of the plasma and bouncing of the wall. During quiet scenes you can hear buzzing away from the seating position.....yuk...about the same noise level as the xbox fan. I cant see any fans through the air vents, just some heat sinks.

Edited by SA000584

Yeah...I am getting it on my 700a. Seems to be coming out the back of the plasma and bouncing of the wall. During quiet scenes you can hear buzzing away from the seating position.....yuk...about the same noise level as the xbox fan. I cant see any fans through the air vents, just some heat sinks.

Its releiving to know that Im not the only one but at the same time realise its just normal. Im going to try some acoustic dampaners perhaps. Ive also renovated my lounge and there arent any soft surfaces in it for now to absorb sound, so it probably exaggerates my issue.

I called Panasonic Customer Care and they said it shouldnt buzz but referred me to a service centre and the service centre and they said buzz is normal but not anything intense.

Maybe its true, all them years ago living at home as a teen sneaking in the bathroom late at night to umm well u know. Its a myth that it makes you blind but certainly heightens your hearing. :P

Edited by Zacspeed

Hey all

My 50px70a got delivered yesterday! YAYYYYY!

Just want to say a massive THANKYOU to Nathan for all his hard work for a bunch of strangers. Your a top bloke.

Speaking of top blokes, our salesman was also great, very professional, reliable and all round nice guy.

This GB was so well organised and super smooth due to the hard work of the above two gentlemen!

Also, I was pleasantly surprised to see MADE IN JAPAN on the side of the box when it got delivered. I was expecting a chinese one as per the rumours that all the new ones are made in china. Has everyone else got Japanese made or did I just get lucky?

Will post pix in a couple of days when its mounted on the wall.

Here's my setup.

Visible are:

• My new baby, the Panasonic 50PX70A
  • Onkyo 605 receiver (another group buy purchase)
  • An old Sony DVD player, still going strong
  • My prized Krix speakers
  • An entertainment unit that I am not fond of
  • Assorted DVDs and such
  • The back of a 4-year-old's head

Edited by alastair

long ago in one of these threads was a discussion about noise and it was minimised by placing acoustic tiles on the wall behind the plasma, it might be worth checking older postings in other plasma threads. possibly you could simulate by placing something soft and sound absorbing behind the plasma (thick towel, carpet off cut) on a temporary basis and see if noise is reduced, cheers alan

Is that the best 42" model available right now?

In this price range I would say it is.

long ago in one of these threads was a discussion about noise and it was minimised by placing acoustic tiles on the wall behind the plasma, it might be worth checking older postings in other plasma threads. possibly you could simulate by placing something soft and sound absorbing behind the plasma (thick towel, carpet off cut) on a temporary basis and see if noise is reduced, cheers alan

That would be this thread!

It's hiding at the top of the page in the pinned section..... :P