Panasonic Group Buy, Owners Showoff Thread.

There should be 63 increments if the 70/700 is like the 600. And the amount of increments you need to adjust is also mentioned. ie to get a contrast value of 78% you need to move to the 49th increment.

humm didnt actually count the increments one by one...couldnt be stuffed hehehe anyway here are some HDTV pics along with my setting . let me know what you think. i'll do some blueray pics next time. i didnt really play with the camera settings so its not that sharp.

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/6417/img1153vk3.jpg

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/9853/img1154ga6.jpg

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/8852/img1156sr0.jpg

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, it seems you've gone to the trouble of covering the pictures beside your TV, but your photobucket account is set to public.

Click on account options and go to edit my album settings. Switch it to private in there.

Haha, no biggie. I thought originally that i could just post the pics straight to this website, but then realised they had to be hosted elsewhere.

If i set it to private, will people still be able to see the TV pics. Not too fussed about the other pics on there, mostly scenery.

Thanks for the heads up though.

(Teacplasma....thanks mate!)

Haha, no biggie. I thought originally that i could just post the pics straight to this website, but then realised they had to be hosted elsewhere.

If i set it to private, will people still be able to see the TV pics. Not too fussed about the other pics on there, mostly scenery.

you could always place this thread in the attachments section..................you can then post the pictures straight to this website

People can still see the individual pics fine. Nobody can however now just browse through all the pics in your account.

What are people doing with their cardboard boxes? I thought I'd keep it, as I may be moving house in the next 12 months, and it could come in handy for transporting the TV.

However, the box is so bloody big, I'm unable to fit it into any cupboards, and it's around half the size of most rooms in my house. I did think of putting it in the backyard, and using it as a spare bedroom :)

I finally got all my cabling sorted out with the TV. Have worked out how to get my DVD player, HDD recorder, and Foxtel all hooked up. The picture quality of the AFL on Foxtel is pretty poor (even on my CRT). Foxtel really should do something to improve their picture. (Yes, I am using SCART plugs and have set the Foxtel to SVHS quality in the settings).

This being my first HD TV, are there any free to air broadcasts that actually help "show off" the picture quality? To be honest, a lot of what I watched last night looked the same on SD digital and HD digital.

What are people doing with their cardboard boxes? I thought I'd keep it, as I may be moving house in the next 12 months, and it could come in handy for transporting the TV.

However, the box is so bloody big, I'm unable to fit it into any cupboards, and it's around half the size of most rooms in my house. I did think of putting it in the backyard, and using it as a spare bedroom :)

I finally got all my cabling sorted out with the TV. Have worked out how to get my DVD player, HDD recorder, and Foxtel all hooked up. The picture quality of the AFL on Foxtel is pretty poor (even on my CRT). Foxtel really should do something to improve their picture. (Yes, I am using SCART plugs and have set the Foxtel to SVHS quality in the settings).

This being my first HD TV, are there any free to air broadcasts that actually help "show off" the picture quality? To be honest, a lot of what I watched last night looked the same on SD digital and HD digital.

The box was way too big for us to hang onto, and as we're in an apartment building with a garbage room and chute on each floor (that a box this size would need a shedload of slimfast to get into), we had to do the sneaky sneaky 'place'n'run' down near the garbage room in the basement. Hopefully people were able to get out of the building with it down there! :D

In terms of good FTA - I have only seen a few shows... David Letterman is quite good. CSI and NCIS seem to get a wrap on the various forums here as well.

Cheers,

Doc.

we don't get the channel 7 loop on channel 70? it just shows normal tv. is this because i'm in a big city and not in the country towns??!

saturday night football on channel 10 is amazing. flick between the std and high def channels, and you can really see the difference. csi/all saints/letterman etc are a lot harder to see the difference between sd and hd - the football is where it really stands out.

Thanks Doc and achw - I'll try out one of these shows, and see if I can tell the difference between SD and HD. The main thing I watch is AFL, so will have to check out Saturday night's broadcast.

here's a list of all programs shown in widescreen/high definition. it also lists programs in dolby 5.1 (which are very very few).

http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?sectionID=126

i also struggle to see the difference between sd and hd on most shows (other than the footy) but have set channels 70, 90 and 12 (being the hd channels for 7, 9 and 10) as my favourites and skip the rest.

the oddity is channel 2 - where channel 20 (being the hd channel) doesn't show the news!

sbs and channel 2 broadcast in 576/720 only. channel 7 broadcasts in 1080i (but i think only in melb and syd), while channels 9 and 10 broadcast in 1080i. i think...

Edited by achw

Hi guys, i'm looking to by either a 42 or 50 (depending on price) tomorrow night. Willing to pay cash for a good deal. I was wondering if anyone could give me heads up as to where to go in Melbourne.

Wish I had got in on the group buy!

Thanks

here's a list of all programs shown in widescreen/high definition. it also lists programs in dolby 5.1 (which are very very few).

http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?sectionID=126

i also struggle to see the difference between sd and hd on most shows (other than the footy) but have set channels 70, 90 and 12 (being the hd channels for 7, 9 and 10) as my favourites and skip the rest.

the oddity is channel 2 - where channel 20 (being the hd channel) doesn't show the news!

sbs and channel 2 broadcast in 576/720 only. channel 7 broadcasts in 1080i (but i think only in melb and syd), while channels 9 and 10 broadcast in 1080i. i think...

Thats great. Thank you. I've edited my favourite channel settings too - that's a good tip!

What sound settings are people using? MPEG or Dolby Digital? (under DVB Audio Preference)

Thats great. Thank you. I've edited my favourite channel settings too - that's a good tip!

What sound settings are people using? MPEG or Dolby Digital? (under DVB Audio Preference)

i'm using dolby digital - since i have the optical out going to my receiver. most shows seem to be broadcast in dolby 2.0 - which my receiver turns into prologic or whatever. very few are broadcast in dolby 5.1 - although saturday night football is (i wonder how they get manage to get 5.1 sound from a live football match?!).

again, like the difference between sd and hd, i struggle to tell the difference between the audio formats!

as for my favourite channels, i've got mine set as 2 (channel 2), 21 (abc2), 70 (7hd), 90 (9dh), 12 (10hd) and 30(?) (sbs hd). all the rest are skipped.

which begs another question - why has the govt disallowed multi-channels for commercial stations?? so much potential for digital tv in aust, and all of it is wasted...

Has anyone noticed that the analogue tuner doesnt work well?

The same antenna used to be connected to my CRT (analogue) and used to provide a perfect picture.

With the 700A, I get perfect digital reception, but analogue is poor. I want good analogue for PIP!

Is this my set only?

Has anyone noticed that the analogue tuner doesnt work well?

The same antenna used to be connected to my CRT (analogue) and used to provide a perfect picture.

With the 700A, I get perfect digital reception, but analogue is poor. I want good analogue for PIP!

Is this my set only?

As one of the many still in limbo on the GB :( , I'm still finding this thread interesting. If the PiP function on the 700A is compromised due to poor analogue reception, and if I don't need a third HDMI port (which I don't), and I'll be running the sound of everything except FTA TV (which I don't watch much of anyway) through the stereo, I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off with the 70A. Does the anti-glare coating on the 700A really make a big difference? - that's about the only other improvement it offers.

Comments anyone?

As one of the many still in limbo on the GB :( , I'm still finding this thread interesting. If the PiP function on the 700A is compromised due to poor analogue reception, and if I don't need a third HDMI port (which I don't), and I'll be running the sound of everything except FTA TV (which I don't watch much of anyway) through the stereo, I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off with the 70A. Does the anti-glare coating on the 700A really make a big difference? - that's about the only other improvement it offers.

Comments anyone?

brumby - i had the same considerations - ie all sound through the receiver, no need for extra hdmi. the 700a has that cats thing (which i don't think is useful unless you move the tv around the place so the contrast is automatically adjusted - like a blackberry's screen) and pip would be nice, but not necessary. i've had a look at the 700a anti-glare, and don't notice anything special about it at all, although others have said there's a big difference.

anyway, i bought the 70a - same picture quality, not such a good looking stand, but i think i actually prefer all-black as opposed to silver/black. have never noticed annoying reflections on the screen - and am watching in a brightly lit room with lots of natural light.

i'm happy i saved myself a few hundred $, but that's just me - others will think the 700a offers better value!

Aesthetics alone are worth going for the 700a imo

Ok, so we have as advantages for the 700A

1. Superior aesthetics - not a biggie for me but there's always SWMBO
  2. Made in Japan vs Made in China
  3. Better sound - might be worth it for watching sports
  4. Anti glare - probably not a biggie but it can't hurt

Is that worth the difference? Probably, it's not that big a difference.

Just hope I can get it. Don't know how much longer my present set (Loewe CRT) is gonna last.

Comments anyone?

You have to go and see the antiglare for yourself to work out if you think it is worth $400-500 extra. I think you are spot on - most of us are using our receivers for sound, and won't need extra HDMI ports. So it really comes down to whether you value having PiP and the antiglare. The CATS feature isn't anything to write about.

The PiP is ok - it does use the analog tuner if you are using the digital tuner at the same time, but my analog reception is ok. I've posted an image of the HD broadcast alongside the analog broadcast using PaP mode (picture and picture). If you use the PiP mode, the image is so small in the bottom right corner of the TV that I don't think it matters whether the signal is digital or analog.

PaP mode - digital image on left, analog on right

You can also show a DVD and a digital channel at the same time, which gives two pretty good images. Sorry for the blurry photos:

PaP Mode - DVD on left, digital tuner on right

PiP mode - full screen DVD, digital tuner within image

The TV has a few annoyances:

Example of Ghost line problem on TV:

Ghost line problem

There is a thread about the ghost line problem on this forum. It seems to occur in both the 70a and 700a, and is not dependant on the tuner source. When I watch Deal or No Deal via Foxtel, analog, digital SD or digital HD I still get the ghost lines in the middle box. Simple solution is NOT to watch the show!

The TV also crackles during some shows (not from the speakers, but the actual screen). It's a strange problem - I recorded something on my HDD recorder and played it back. Even with the sound muted on the TV, and the receiver off - the actual screen makes a crackling noise (a bit like static electricity discharging). This happened during one of the cartoons in the morning - where explosions with flashing black and white were on the screen. Everytime I play back the segment the TV crackles. I can burn it on a disc, or upload it if someone else with a 700a wants to see if this happens for them too.

Edited by pksw
The TV also crackles during some shows (not from the speakers, but the actual screen). It's a strange problem - I recorded something on my HDD recorder and played it back. Even with the sound muted on the TV, and the receiver off - the actual screen makes a crackling noise (a bit like static electricity discharging). This happened during one of the cartoons in the morning - where explosions with flashing black and white were on the screen. Everytime I play back the segment the TV crackles. I can burn it on a disc, or upload it if someone else with a 700a wants to see if this happens for them too.

Personally mate, i'd be getting onto Panasonic about this ASAP....pardon the pun, but it doesnt sound right!

Also, how do you find the Anti-glare screen in a dark room ?

seems you've got all the lights off there in the pics, still as bright as ever ?

Edited by Ice_Magik

Thanks very much for the great response and the pics, pksw.

I might go and have a sticky at both side by side. What about the Made in Japan for the 700A? I suppose that the extended warranty would partially ameliorate any differences.

Apologies for going OT a bit here, but I've been contemplating the Pioneer 507 too. I don't care at all about 1080P since I don't plan to go into Blu Ray/HD-DVD anytime soon (no selection unless you like recent action movies, which I don't). The prices are good with the new models coming in and INCLUDE 5 yr warranty and delivery/setup. Only problem is that they're a bit hard to find.

Edited by brumby
The TV has a few annoyances:

Example of Ghost line problem on TV:

Ghost line problem

There is a thread about the ghost line problem on this forum. It seems to occur in both the 70a and 700a, and is not dependant on the tuner source. When I watch Deal or No Deal via Foxtel, analog, digital SD or digital HD I still get the ghost lines in the middle box. Simple solution is NOT to watch the show!

dont forget the SD card reader :) makes life easier if you want to show photos from your camera.

yes the ghost line problem is a pain. imo its a major fault with the 70a 700a units. i never gotten any sound problems with the 700a...watched channel 10 for hrs and never heard any crackling or distortions.

Thanks very much for the great response and the pics, pksw.

I might go and have a sticky at both side by side. What about the Made in Japan for the 700A? I suppose that the extended warranty would partially ameliorate any differences.

Apologies for going OT a bit here, but I've been contemplating the Pioneer 507 too. I don't care at all about 1080P since I don't plan to go into Blu Ray/HD-DVD anytime soon (no selection unless you like recent action movies, which I don't). The prices are good with the new models coming in and INCLUDE 5 yr warranty and delivery/setup. Only problem is that they're a bit hard to find.

Yes, forgot that the newer stock of 70a are likely to be made in China. Is there any objective evidence that the Chinese TVs break down more often than the Japanese? I think when it comes to the cheap TVs that may be the case, but when it's a brand name product, I really don't think it makes a big difference.

As for going OT, - just ask as many questions as you like - that's what the forum is for!

I was orginally going to get a 42" 70a, but when our salesman showed me the 50" 700a I felt it was worth the extra money. I've always liked PiP (I'm a habitual channel changer), and the antiglare was very effective in the store.

At home, I tend to have all the lights off when I watch a movie, or just one small light on - so the antiglare probably doesn't do a thing! But I am likely to move in the next 12 months, and am hoping to put the TV in an open plan style lounge room, where there are plenty of windows, natural light, and reflections off the polished floorboards.

Ice - the antiglare in a dark room is fine - I don't find the TV too dark. I watched my first DVD movie last night on the TV - Star Wars Episode III, and the colours and detail were incredible (of course I'm comparing it to my 68cm CRT). Especially the opening scene where there are a lot of action shots, which probably simulates live sport. Can't wait to watch the footy on the TV.

I'm pretty sure Panasonic may just say the crackling noise is due to the broadcast. It was one of those epileptic inducing, flashing black and white cartoon images. I don't watch the cartoons - just had the TV on whilst I was having breakfast and noticed it. No other shows (so far) have had this problem.

• Moderators
How are the 42" 70a with xbox 360s or playstation 3s.

just a bit concerned how it looks with the rest of 1024x768

I have the 42" 70a and the Xbox 360, looks fantastic, the picture does not look stretched at all.

Cheers,

Karen.

Thanks Ice, the 50 Inch plasma is great.

The antiglare screen is well worth having. The PIP and sound works much better than the 600 series.

I am thinking about getting a notebook with a HDMI out port on it. Play movies from the notebook on the plasma.

I would be able to connect the notebook to the plasma using a HDMI cable, but does anyone know if I hook up the optical out with a toslink cable on the plasma to my receiver, would it pass through dolby digital sound track, so I can quality sound as well ??

Got the 70A from HN for $3300(with 5y Warranty). They didn't have the 700A & thought I it didn't matter with the Anti-glare etc. The Aesthetics of the 70A are Great.

Pics of the ever updating setup

Pix 70A / Setup

Guys do you know of some settings to get the best PQ.

Re getting settings for the best PQ. When it comes to the 70/700 series its like pulling teeth getting anyone to reveal them.

But some posts back I posted the settings that worked very well for the 500a (8th Gen), 60/600 (9th gen) so I cant see why they wont work with the latestet generation.

Let us know how you go, and hopefully people will reveal the settings that works best for them.

One issue perhaps, and I dont know why but Panasonic no longer use numbers on the settings. But the thread explains how you can overcome that also.

Here tis:-

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?s=&...st&p=747658

Edited by Zacspeed

A fair few people now have received their panels.

Whats the latest on them. Anyone had any issues at all? Ie defective, dead pixels?

Seems the going is going real good, which is very pleasing to hear (or not hear)

A fair few people now have received their panels.

Whats the latest on them. Anyone had any issues at all? Ie defective, dead pixels?

Seems the going is going real good, which is very pleasing to hear (or not hear)

Happy with my TV. Had it for a week now (700a). It's my first plasma, so there is still the novelty factor of having a big TV and digital reception. I've already posted about the "ghost line" problem in that thread and posted a photo too. It's not a major issue to me.

The other problem is the "sound" problem with a picture that rapidly flashes from black and white. The actual screen makes a crackling noise when that image is full screen. If I reduce the size of the image, or play it in a PiP window there is none of that "static" noise. I will burn it to DVD and try it on another TV in a store to see if the problem is still there.

Otherwise, everything else has been ok, and these are really quite minor issues to me.

Happy with my TV. Had it for a week now (700a). It's my first plasma, so there is still the novelty factor of having a big TV and digital reception. I've already posted about the "ghost line" problem in that thread and posted a photo too. It's not a major issue to me.

The other problem is the "sound" problem with a picture that rapidly flashes from black and white. The actual screen makes a crackling noise when that image is full screen. If I reduce the size of the image, or play it in a PiP window there is none of that "static" noise. I will burn it to DVD and try it on another TV in a store to see if the problem is still there.

Otherwise, everything else has been ok, and these are really quite minor issues to me.

Try turning your noise reduction up to high maybe ?

Edited by Neddles

I'll get some pics up this weekend once i've put it all together again..

Got into abit of a dusting / cleaning frenzy pulling all cables out of received, 360, dvd.....

Then the tv arrived, needless to say, all the cables were left where they were...... :(

Hopefully hd-player and pvr arrive soon......why does Home Entertainment have to be soo addictive and expensive ?

I'm getting my tv tomorrow. Can't wait!

How are you guys running it in? I heard the first 100 hours are important..

What about connecting a laptop to it and running a screensaver or windows media player with those spectrum effects? Would that do any good?

I'm getting my tv tomorrow. Can't wait!

How are you guys running it in? I heard the first 100 hours are important..

What about connecting a laptop to it and running a screensaver or windows media player with those spectrum effects? Would that do any good?

Apparently a good way to run the screen in is to display the HD loop channels on the screen. That way you wont get any static images etc.

Maybe some1 needs to call panasonic...

Too many mixed reports in regards to 'running in' the screens..

From what i've heard, the Glass has already been 'run in' before we even get it, with some sort of procedure they do.

Apparently the screen is exposed to the process which is much more hardcore than anything a consumer could throw at it!

This is all speculation though, i'll be calling pana later to clarify for peace of mind.

I'm not sure if this applicable to Pana's but for my Pio I was instructed by AVICAL to run it in as per normal for 100+ hours before getting it calibrated. He advised that if I turned down the setting I would need to wait 200+ hours for the calibration. This suggests to me that modern plasmas should not have a burn-in issue if normal care is given. ie, Don't do something stupid like leave the same static image on the screen for 30+ hours. Normal channel switching should prevent it as well. That being said I have read of a case (on this forum) where someone watched the same channel for an extended period of time and got burn-in of the logo (or was it image retention).

I think it is the older gen plasma's that have a problem, not the current crop.

I am willing to stand corrected tho!