Panasonic Group Buy, Owners Showoff Thread.

Has anyone found any issues with the resolution of TH42PX70A?

I'm certainly considering buying one, but that feature (or lack of) is a slight turn off. Does it look stretched? What can I expect with a resolution of 1024x768 as opposed to true 16:9.

Furthermore, does it mean a TH42PX70A is not future-proofed for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD?

I guess I'm using it primarily for DTV and DVD, but a xbox360 is on the way. As a side note, many people say LCD is better for gaming - but why? Because it's brighter? I would imagine the "fast moving" images in games would be suitable for plasma.

P.S. Excellent forum.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my 50" 70A last week. Its great!

Thanks for organising this Ice!

Now, I'm just noticing that even if I turn the brightness level down to 0, the pixels are still not completely switched off on a black screen. There is still a bit of light in them. Is this normal?

Edited by hdpat

Can anyone help me out with this.

I've hooked up my new PX4270A to my PC from TV-Out on the video card to a Composite input on the TV. I really need some help with the resolution here.

If I set the TV resolution to anything over 640x480 then the sides of the image are cut off or it pans to the side. 640x480 is fine really because I only watch videos on the TV in full screen (no gaming etc) so it doesn't really matter. However, the video is stretched with big black lines at the top and bottom. I can fix this in Media Player Classic by Scaling to 16:9 TV or by setting the aspect ratio on the TV to Zoom 1.

I know the root of the problem is that the TV's native resolution is 4:3 and it has rectangular pixels, however, I am left to ponder: is there a better way?

Composite video does not handle HD, so anything over 720x576i is not possible. Although still analog, the 15pin VGA (DSUB) is the best analog connection and will support (depending on the video card) wide screen modes.

I use a Compaq laptop though VGA on my PDP and it looks fine, slight overscan on top and bottom but fine.

Use the VGA, or get a HDMI-DVI adapter.

Got my 50" 70A last week. Its great!

Thanks for organising this Ice!

Now, I'm just noticing that even if I turn the brightness level down to 0, the pixels are still not completely switched off on a black screen. There is still a bit of light in them. Is this normal?

That's nice :) But I'm looking at a 42". They have different resolutions. Is this going to be a problem?

Composite video does not handle HD, so anything over 720x576i is not possible. Although still analog, the 15pin VGA (DSUB) is the best analog connection and will support (depending on the video card) wide screen modes.

I use a Compaq laptop though VGA on my PDP and it looks fine, slight overscan on top and bottom but fine.

Use the VGA, or get a HDMI-DVI adapter.

Ah thanks for that info. I'm not able to use VGA or DVI because the TV's in another room so I'll have to wait till I build my HTPC soon.

I got my 50px70a delivered last night and i couldn't be happier. I Love it. Its even bigger than i thought. Blu-Rays look amazing. I really need to move out so i can give this TV a proper home. This was a huge jump from the 23" Samsung LCD I was watching. I am also however getting the sound breakup problem as mentioned in the other topic. Thanks again to Ice_magic and our salesman.

t_Nightm_b3dd3ec.jpg

t_DSC02337m_1261034.jpg

I got my 50px70a delivered last night and i couldn't be happier. I Love it. Its even bigger than i thought. Blu-Rays look amazing. I really need to move out so i can give this TV a proper home. This was a huge jump from the 23" Samsung LCD I was watching. I am also however getting the sound breakup problem as mentioned in the other topic. Thanks again to Ice_magic and our salesman.

t_Nightm_b3dd3ec.jpg

t_DSC02337m_1261034.jpg

I get mine delivered today!! It's going to be such a long day at work. :P

Purcho the computer table doesn't seem to be handling the weight of the plasma too well! :)

I get mine delivered today!! It's going to be such a long day at work. :P

Purcho the computer table doesn't seem to be handling the weight of the plasma too well! :)

Unfortunatly the computer table was like that before i put the plasma on it. Dam 19" CRT monitors. The stand on the 70a is much better for me as it seems to put the load on the sides as a posed to the middle like the 700a. This desk is also a temporary home until i move out and get a dedicated unit.

I got mine delivered during the day yesterday and i didnt make it through the whole day i had to go home early and play. :lol:

Unfortunatly the computer table was like that before i put the plasma on it. Dam 19" CRT monitors. The stand on the 70a is much better for me as it seems to put the load on the sides as a posed to the middle like the 700a. This desk is also a temporary home until i move out and get a dedicated unit.

I got mine delivered during the day yesterday and i didnt make it through the whole day i had to go home early and play. :lol:

Purcho, I've got to get myself a PS3 :)

42PX70A arrived today and is great. Was surprised it was also Made in Japan, seems like the current suppliers Brisbane stock are at this stage.

Watched 300 DVD (not so great) but very happy with the screen, 42" size is perfect for this smaller room.

So thanks Ice for organing the group buy and Mr Salesman for making the process easy and painless.

Now I just need to finish making the ent unit and get some pics taken and posted.

cheers

Craig....

You should invest in a new ent. unit which has darker wood finish and is a bit lower to the ground. It would match your speakers and blend with the TV better and look much, MUCH sexier imo..

I hear ya, absolutely. Got any recommendations?

I was looking at the Blue Gum Joinery site, and thinking they might be able to help.

Going to get the 70A mounted on the wall too.

Still a bit puzzled by the different menus between your Australian and my NZ delivered item.

Looking at Shapes post and picture on page 7. Have a look at my set:

th50menuku6.th.jpg

Apologies for quality of photo but you can see a definite difference to the menu structure?

I know this plasma has a pc-input but,

NOOB Q ;

How do I connect it, and would I get sound through the Plasma speakers? My laptop has S-video,and PC.

How would It look on the 50"?

Cheers,

I am not sure what outputs your lappie has but for video connect the vga or alternatively DVI via the HDMI input using a DVI to HDMI connector(from Dicksmiths or similar shop).

And for audio you need to get a 35mm stereo to RCA lead from again Dicksmiths or somewhere similar.