Sign in to follow this  
peedon

The Bbc Iplayer Thread - Downunder You Can't

Can people confirm if this site (ukivpn.com) does indeed enable reasonable quality, easy access to bbc i player?

Are there security issues?

Cheers.

Can people confirm if this site (ukivpn.com) does indeed enable reasonable quality, easy access to bbc i player?

Cheers.

I'm still using it, and the quality is still very good. I plugged the PC into a 42" plasma and streamed via the iPlayer. It looks as good as a regular satellite signal. I had a couple of issues with the server I was connecting to, but they fixed me up with a new server straight away. I'm very impressed with it.

I don't have any security issues, in fact I use the PPTP connection - since I'm just pulling video content - and I disconnect from the VPN after I'm done. They allow you to make an L2TP connection (all part of the same deal) which provides strong encryption over WiFi, so you can be secure connecting to a hotspot or in a hotel etc.

Re "easy access" - it takes about 5 minutes to set up manually (following a step-by-step guide) or there's some scripts that will automatically run and set it up (for XP and Vista only). And they were pretty quick to answer e-mail and sort me out.

I'm still using it, and the quality is still very good. I plugged the PC into a 42" plasma and streamed via the iPlayer. It looks as good as a regular satellite signal. I had a couple of issues with the server I was connecting to, but they fixed me up with a new server straight away. I'm very impressed with it.

I don't have any security issues, in fact I use the PPTP connection - since I'm just pulling video content - and I disconnect from the VPN after I'm done. They allow you to make an L2TP connection (all part of the same deal) which provides strong encryption over WiFi, so you can be secure connecting to a hotspot or in a hotel etc.

Re "easy access" - it takes about 5 minutes to set up manually (following a step-by-step guide) or there's some scripts that will automatically run and set it up (for XP and Vista only). And they were pretty quick to answer e-mail and sort me out.

Just wondering if the quality is still good with this service? I've just got back from the UK and been blown away by how good the iplayer offering is, and also how good UK TV is in general. I'd forgotten after being away for nearly 4 years. Is it still worth using this VPN company or are there better offerings out there now?

Hi Guys

Just to let you know in regards to all your fav UK TV channels i can help you dont need a VPN or Proxy infact you dont need any special internet connection at all have you guys ever heard of a slingbox if not go to http://uk.slingmedia.com/go/slingbox if you have freinds or family in the uk just get them to purchase one of these boxes its easy to install it connects directly to your Sky Box or Freeview box then into a router.

you can watch all your live programs from your sky box or freeview box on your computer thats all BBC ITV CH4 CH5 etc etc all sky sports and movies if you have a sky + box just set up your recording just like in the uk and watch them when ever you want you have full control of the sky box or freeview box you get a proper looking remote come up on your computer just like the sky remote back in the UK if you want to change channels do so just like you were sitting in front of it in the uk with the remote. better still if you want to watch your live tv programs on your tv set just buy a sling catcher http://uk.slingmedia.com/go/slingcatcher it looks like a sling box but works like a cable box just plug it in to your tv set via hdmi of scart then plug it into you router it then talks back to the slingbox back in the uk it also comes with a remote (so its just like having cable) but all your channels come direct from the uk.

I have tried this system out in brisbane as my freind lives there even with a very poor internet connect he gets fantasic quality pictures and sound just like being in the uk.

If anyone would like to try this out on there pc email me and i will setup a demo password etc so you can access my setup before you buy anything.

email jason.terry@o2.co.uk

For People that already have a VPN setup they should try this out http://www.tvcatchup.com/channels.html its all free and 100% live

Nice to help you guys out.

UK TV its easy if you know how

Thank You

Jason Terry

http://www.wifi-netuk.co.uk

Hi everyone, watching the BBC iPlayer from Aus is easy and you can do it for free. In addition you can watch 5 and ITV, you just need to set up your PC with Firefox, Tor and Foxyproxy.

All the information you need is here, its not spam, just helpful information, I use the technique as I'm currently living in Hungary.

Good Luck

http://www.webtvunleashed.co.cc/2009/02/ge...ng-to-work.html

Tried that with Firefox on a Mac and it worked up to the point that it wanted to install Flash (with GetPlus) to watch the UK show which didn't install.

Cheers.

I have been using UKiVPN for a couple of days now. I just watched the full Hungarian F1 grand prix live with only 2 disruptions and no buffering, I am using the lower bandwidth option though. The set up was easy and it really isnt that expensive, I am paying AUD $12 month for US and UK servers.

Sorry for bringing an old thread top but thought ye might be interested in checking out what is surely the best streaming service on the net:

46 Sky channels including Sky Sports 1-3, all the movie channels, TV guide, on demand services & huge resource of radio channels FOR A TENNER!!!!! No messing about with proxys, perfect video quality, no buffering issues & everything accessed from the one location.

Click here for a free 10 minute preview:

UK TV Abroad

Dennis, who runs the site, is generally always online to answer any queries via the popup at the bottom right. Tell him Niall sent you!

HDMI cables on Amazon for less than £2 also for watching through the telly.

Perfect for those looking to save money or those living abroad looking to catch up on radio & tv from home. & you also get to stop giving Rupert Murdoch your hard earned.

Nice! :beerchug:

Edited by Blue_Arsed_Fly

Sorry for bringing an old thread top but thought ye might be interested in checking out what is surely the best streaming service on the net:

46 Sky channels including Sky Sports 1-3, all the movie channels, TV guide, on demand services & huge resource of radio channels FOR A TENNER!!!!! No messing about with proxys, perfect video quality, no buffering issues & everything accessed from the one location.

Click here for a free 10 minute preview:

UK TV Abroad

That's a topic for debate, likwise the audio - based on the free 10 min preview.

That's a topic for debate, likwise the audio - based on the free 10 min preview.

Yeah, it's not HD or digital quality but certainly on a par with aerial signal & does the job for me nicely.

They've just added iPhone & iPad compatibility also as part of their service & for no extra charge, which is a steal. Apparently the first & only service to show UK TV outside the UK on these platforms.

Found a review page for those looking for further details:

UK TV Abroad Review

Edited by Blue_Arsed_Fly

BritTV Update:

The quality seems to have deteriorated for BBC 1 & BBC 2 at the top of the channels column but if you scroll down to the Flash channels there's some good quality streams. Also, when you sign up you get access to all the VPN streams on the bottom. Still haven't found anything to put me off subscribing after 5 months.