hi guys

my inlaws just bought the 50" 50PB2DR, without consulting me first... :blink: it has the 250GB DVR built in.

went there to help them set it up and it turns out the tuner is only a single tuner.... :wacko:

OMG why would anyone put out a model with a single tuner, honestly who would buy this??

what's the point of having a built in PVR but when recording you have to watch the chanell you are recording? Am i missing something here but to me it redenders the unit completely useless. Imagine having people over and saying "Oh look at my new 50" plasma, it kicks ass. Has a built in recorder, check it out. Oh but I can't watch any other channel while it records"

Jeeez even a VCR can perform this task.

I have done a quick search and it seems to be the case with all built in DVR's. I don't understand why the stand alone PVR's can have multiple tuners but not the built in one. I have the LG 160PVR and it works a treat.

so am i right? this model only has single tuner?

i gave them two options - take it back and exchange for TV and built in tuner only + purchase separate PVR, or purchase additional settop box for viewing other channels whilest recording?

any other suggestions?

so am i right? this model only has single tuner?

i gave them two options - take it back and exchange for TV and built in tuner only + purchase separate PVR, or purchase additional settop box for viewing other channels whilest recording?

any other suggestions?

One tuner is digital and the other tuner is analogue. If you are recording using the digital tuner on the built-in 250GB, then you have to watch another free-to-air channel through analogue or watch another input coming into the plasma like Foxtel etc.

I am told the reason they don't use a twin digital built-in tuner is because not all regions in Australia can receive digital broadcasts and these are sold all over the country.

yeah that's what i figured with the analogue tuner

weird to also have PIP working this way. i don't understand it.

people buy plasmas to watch it through analogue???

If one tuner is digital and the other analogue then PIP has to be one digital and one analogue picture.

Just get them a cheap SD digital set top box under $100.00 that they can use as an input when they are recording in digital onto the built in DVR and want to watch another free-to-air channel. This will probably rarely happen anyway considering the gunk on free to air TV - what are the chances of two channels having something to watch at the same time?

true or a HD settop box, the analogue signal is rubish, very fuzzy, plus no widescreen etc.

it's mostly for the wife to record stuff at night while he watches other shows and then she will watch it during the day