Mystar, Will It Come Out In August Or Not?

Do some calculations, 550000 subscribers, thats a lot of cards to mail out assuming that the older boxes can be divorced over the air. If not, then its a box replacement which involves a tech visit = $$$$$ big time frame to get a tech out to every sub location, assuming they have replacement boxes.

I've been told, by someone that should know, that Austar's boxes can be divorced over the air, they just chose not to in most instances. A guess as to why may be that they don't want people who log messages all day every day to start to notice the commands and start chipping away at how to divorce the boxes themselves.

I believe that Austar is going to implement a policy whereby when a subscriber has a STB fail rather than put the subcribers card into a replacement STB, the subscriber will be issued with a replacement STB + a nice new ver 5.3 card. To date the subscribers existing card might or might not be put into the replacement box.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you can state clearly and unambiguously that Austar will not do a mass roll out of ver 5.3 or later cards (already Austar is issuing ver 5.3 cards, something I hinted at earlier and had independantly confirmed by another forum contributor) and will not enable features on those cards that allow Austar to prevent the use of 3rd party equipment then the statement remains.

Perhaps I'll take out some newspaper advertising as well. :unsure:

You are the one making the statement therefore you are the one to put up or shut up. You can be sued big time for making such a statement with out substantiated hard evidence.

New cards are 5.3 and YES, they work in the 3rd party box.

What is going to happen again?

Where does your info come from?

Oh yes, your guessing.

Actually, I expect my car to come with 5 wheels! BUT, The car has nothing to do with cards being upgraded, or am I missing something here!

I've been told, by someone that should know, that Austar's boxes can be divorced over the air, they just chose not to in most instances. A guess as to why may be that they don't want people who log messages all day every day to start to notice the commands and start chipping away at how to divorce the boxes themselves.

I believe that Austar is going to implement a policy whereby when a subscriber has a STB fail rather than put the subcribers card into a replacement STB, the subscriber will be issued with a replacement STB + a nice new ver 5.3 card. To date the subscribers existing card might or might not be put into the replacement box.

You are the one making the statement therefore you are the one to put up or shut up. You can be sued big time for making such a statement with out substantiated hard evidence.

Ah, the last resort of the damned. You really know that someone is on the losing side when they have to say crap like that. Go ahead, Refidim (or should we have you renamed to OPAC?). Just try it and see how far you get. :lol:

Trying to 2Clix your business really isn't a good business strategy, Refidim OPAC.

What is going to happen again?

Eventually Austar will probably enable features that prevent 3rd party equipment from being used, but you already know that. :lol:

Where does your info come from?

Oh yes, your guessing.

Congratulations, you actually read my signature text!

This bit in particular:

How long it takes for Austar to start a roll out is anyone's guess.

It only took a few weeks, but you actually did it. Will wonders never cease? Shall I send you a box of congratulatory chocs and a bouquet of flowers too? :lol:

Nothing you have said has given me any grounds to change my signature text.

If you are so convinced that Austar won't enable features to prevent the use of 3rd party equipment all you have to do is financially underwrite any puchaser of 3rd party equipment to cover them for the possibility of Austar doing exactly what I've been saying. Its a zero risk option for you, isn't it? :unsure:

Dr.P presents himself as some kind of a spokesman of authority. He must be person who has nothing else to do but to live on this forum 24/7. Wow 4,724 posts and counting Dr.p has not been able to produce a single piece of tangible and substantiated avoidance to back his claim.

... Is the world running out of crude oil any time soon ?

Draw your own conclusions.

Or you could listen to Refidim; a person that is actually associated with the sale of Mediastar boxes but has denied it; a person that would like to re-write forum history if he could.

For someone that has 'no association with Mediastar' and does not 'promote Mediastar products on any forum' he sure is getting his nose out of joint at the red text in my signature which doesn't even mention Mediastar.....

So anyway, back to the subject of this thread.

What's the latest story that anyone's gotten from Austar regarding the release of MyStar. Clearly it hasn't happened yet and won't happen in the near future, but have we got any new indicative timeframe? Q1 2008?

Thanks.

Was October, now November.

So anyway, back to the subject of this thread.

What's the latest story that anyone's gotten from Austar regarding the release of MyStar. Clearly it hasn't happened yet and won't happen in the near future, but have we got any new indicative timeframe? Q1 2008?

Thanks.

I was speaking to an Austar Rep today and his thoughts were that it might be available late October. Even the reps seem very much in the dark about when it will be available and how much it will cost. Thoughts today by my area rep was that it will cost about $15 per month extra on top of any package. Install costs were just as vague. Current cost to relocate an existing customer is $24.95 compared to $95 with Foxtel, so says my rep. My rep says it could cost as little as $24.95 but did not disclose how high to the cost could blow out to.

On the subject of people moving from Austar to foxtel, I'm currently a Foxtel subscriber and I've been contacted and visted by this rep fromAustar. It seems that I can get (now or otherwise) both services. I think there may have been some boundary changes recently. I am thinking of changing to Austar because they offer packages that suits me. Some programs within their packages are not with the Foxtel packages, thus it will be cheaper for me on a monthly basis.

Also, I'd like one of these MyStar boxes. Seems they might have plenty of video outputs and good ones at that. Anyone seen any specs on this yet? Any pictures?

cheers

dino

Ye gads, for once I actually agree with lizclinton.

I'll be on the news tonight people, look for the guy with the slit wrists hanging from the tree by his neck on the gold coast.

Hey yell@me things can't be that bad surely! You might be interested to hear that while on my travels to the US & UK I've seen high definition paytv channels in action. I wonder if you knew that Sky UK have now introduced a mark 111 sky+? Yep not the old trailblazer mk 1 with the bugs you like to deride - the one Foxtel modelled their IQ upon but one with HDMI (a sort of digital scart) which will convey digital video & audio to your monitor. Amazing how quickly technology moves in paytv land elsewhere.

BTW when I rang Austar to re-connect my subscription they advised to expect connection of the mystar christmas time. Unless of course you can get it to me sooner mr yell@me.

And it took an overseas trip to finally find out that things move faster in PAYTV elsewhere. You only needed to be online my friend.

Did you know that Australia is the second worst country for Broadband internet speeds and pricing. Oh we do beat Mexico.

Welcome to the land of third world services.

ha ha ha ha

Hey yell@me things can't be that bad surely! You might be interested to hear that while on my travels to the US & UK I've seen high definition paytv channels in action. I wonder if you knew that Sky UK have now introduced a mark 111 sky+? Yep not the old trailblazer mk 1 with the bugs you like to deride - the one Foxtel modelled their IQ upon but one with HDMI (a sort of digital scart) which will convey digital video & audio to your monitor. Amazing how quickly technology moves in paytv land elsewhere.

BTW when I rang Austar to re-connect my subscription they advised to expect connection of the mystar christmas time. Unless of course you can get it to me sooner mr yell@me.

Did you know that Australia is the second worst country for Broadband internet speeds and pricing.

At least most aussies have the option for bb at home. some countries dont, how about the fact that most west africans still use an internet cafe because the pricing of private isps is absurd for thier income, and the cafe might have 50 users on a 1meg two way sat link, if the cafe isnt on a dial up link!

I've been lurking on here for a while because I've been thinking of getting rid of Austar but even a dodgy PVR might change my mind.

Anyway I took a look at the Wikipedia entry on Austar yesterday and saw this:

The MyStar Personal Digital Recorder

Announced in November 2005, Thomson SA have been awarded the contract for the development of a 4 tuner PDR, two of which will be dedicated for Australia's Digital Terrestrial free-to-air (FTA) service. MyStar will also allow for recording of two shows at one time, while still being able to watch one pre-recorded

Mr. Porter had announced that the MyStar personal digital recorder has been delayed back to August 2007 rather than the May 2007 release date they had planned. [8] As of September 22, 2007, the Mystar will cost $49.95 to install and $14.95 extra per month. To find out more go to www.austar.com.au/mystar. It will be able to record 60 hours of Austar and FTA Digital Television. It is similar to Foxtel IQ. It is scheduled to be revealed on October 3, 2007. I got this information (price, capacity and date) from 132 432.

The first bit we know already, but does anyone else have any more info on it being revealed on October 3 (that's tomorrow!)?