Sign in to follow this  
Spero D.

New Pioneer 8th Gen Plasmas 508 Etc

Hi Twain,

I have been looking for a while and i am looking at the kuro 42 also and i have been tossing up between 42 and 50 and my distance is about 2.8m to 3.0m and i have stood at this distance at stores and i just see too many imperfections with a 50".

Not howling you down, but I sit 3m from my 50" and would not get anything smaller. A cardboard cutout can be useful stuck up on the wall to get an idea on how big the screen is, but not quite representative of the picture you will see.

Talk to a retailer and see if any of them will sell you are 50" and if you are not happy, allow you to downsize (for a small fee most likely). I am sure if you leave it for a week, you won't be taking it back.

What is the source in the displays at the shops that show all the imperfections - FTA analogue?

Not howling you down, but I sit 3m from my 50" and would not get anything smaller. A cardboard cutout can be useful stuck up on the wall to get an idea on how big the screen is, but not quite representative of the picture you will see.

Talk to a retailer and see if any of them will sell you are 50" and if you are not happy, allow you to downsize (for a small fee most likely). I am sure if you leave it for a week, you won't be taking it back.

What is the source in the displays at the shops that show all the imperfections - FTA analogue?

Hi diesel,yes it is FTA but all i watch is FTA,foxtel and i estimate i might hire about 6-8 DVD's a year and i don't have any intention on getting blu ray for a long time.

But i agree with you if your watching blu ray close up it looks great.

I was in Myers in the city yesterday and they had a samsung 1080p 63" plasma playing night at the museum and it was about 3m from the couch and it looked sensational but I don't have the time to watch movies 24hrs a day and I like watching sport when i can

Hi diesel,yes it is FTA but all i watch is FTA,foxtel and i estimate i might hire about 6-8 DVD's a year and i don't have any intention on getting blu ray for a long time.

Same here. I do watch a few more DVD's but mostly (90%) FTA via DVB and a 50" at 2.5-3.0m is good viewing IMO.

Hi Twain,

I have been looking for a while and i am looking at the kuro 42 also and i have been tossing up between 42 and 50 and my distance is about 2.8m to 3.0m and i have stood at this distance at stores and i just see too many imperfections with a 50".

But if you watch blue ray 24 hrs a day and no FTA a 50 would probably be ok.

It's funny how quite a few sales guys I have spoken to have said how many people have returned there panels to get a smaller one because when they get it home they think it does not work properly because it's not a sharp picture but it is because they are sitting too close to it.

That's just my opinion and I bet plenty of people will probably howl me down for it.

Hi Goldy,

Looks like we are going through similar thought processes in trying to choose between a 42" & 50" screen for everyday-type FTA TV viewing. And like you, I also don't do a huge amount of movie watching. (However my viewing distance of 2.2 metres is a little closer than yours).

I'm thinking that although the 42" 428XDA has less pixels in its horizintal resolution (1024), the actual "pixel density" per unit area on the screen is probably not all that different to that of the 508XDA -where the extra pixels (1366) have to be stretched over a larger distance.

Just wondering about what yourself, or any others may be thinking about this line of reasoning.

Cheers

Hi Goldy,

Looks like we are going through similar thought processes in trying to choose between a 42" & 50" screen for everyday-type FTA TV viewing. And like you, I also don't do a huge amount of movie watching. (However my viewing distance of 2.2 metres is a little closer than yours).

I'm thinking that although the 42" 428XDA has less pixels in its horizintal resolution (1024), the actual "pixel density" per unit area on the screen is probably not all that different to that of the 508XDA -where the extra pixels (1366) have to be stretched over a larger distance.

Just wondering about what yourself, or any others may be thinking about this line of reasoning.

Cheers

I have the 42 in a 10m by 9m huge room and its perfict... You will get used to what ever you buy but mine hides in the corner nicelly

Hi Goldy,

Cheers

Hi Twain,

Well I have 2 couches and one of the them is about 3.2 m from the wall (it sits parallel with the wall) and the other one is at 90 degrees to the wall and the viewing distance varies from 2.2 at one end of couch to 2.8m at the other end but to be honest when the wife watches tv she sits at the 2.8m end and we can probably move the couches away from the screen about 300mm if we had to.

The other day i was in a shop and they gave me a kuro brochure which folded out to the size of the 50 and the 42 so u can blu tak it to the wall.

It actually has the picture ot the panel on it in the exact size which could be of help to you.

Or when u go to a store take a tape measure with you and stand at that distance.

Next time i go to view i will go on a friday night when some of the HD shows are on so i can see what the PQ is like as whenever i go it is always during the day when the SD is on.

The 42 will look sharper as its smaller but alot of people have the bigger is better theory.

I am an electrician and work in alot of houses and i saw one last week where they had a 50" crammed in to a small lounge and it looked terrible as it just took over the whole room and on another job the other day a guy had a pio507 in his bedroom and he was wondering why the picture quality was average,doh!

I am leaning towards the 42 cos i like the sharper picture but i will probably change my mind tomorrow lol.

Hi all Kuro owners out there

Does anyone know if it's possible to find out what the resolution is during FTA transmissions on these panels?

You get the info up all the time for all other inputs, but there is never any info when watching DTV.

Cheers

Bob

Hi all Kuro owners out there

Does anyone know if it's possible to find out what the resolution is during FTA transmissions on these panels?

You get the info up all the time for all other inputs, but there is never any info when watching DTV.

Cheers

Bob

No, I don't think it is possible. The info button will tell you other details such as whether it is MPEG or dolby sound, but it doesn't say the broadcast resolution. I don't think it is that necessary because we all know what resolutions the TV stations use anyway.

No, I don't think it is possible. The info button will tell you other details such as whether it is MPEG or dolby sound, but it doesn't say the broadcast resolution. I don't think it is that necessary because we all know what resolutions the TV stations use anyway.

Cheers for the reply.

I have kinda found a way.

If you scroll through the available screen size options and Dot-by-Dot is available as an option (for the LX models only i guess), then you can say that is 1080i, if not, then it isn't.

I leave my FTA on Dot-by-Dot, as it changes itself automatically to full if it isn't 1080.

Bob

I got the PDP-508 XDA last week.

After setting the panel up with vista media center it looked pretty good...until I played black hawk down...

Holy moly!! I have never seen better colour rendition and shading in a display, I was a 'tad' concerned about buying the pio, the pano Z with 1080p was about $500 cheaper and the marketing types must have subliminally beaten into me that I need High Def..

When you have this amount of colour pallette, shading and absolute picture quality, this thing makes a mockery of 1080p displays.

Believe the hype...this display is ridicuously good..I am still giggling like a schoolgirl whenever I play DVDs on it....ooh boy I am going to need sedatives when I try blu ray..

Cheers

I got the PDP-508 XDA last week.

After setting the panel up with vista media center it looked pretty good...until I played black hawk down...

Holy moly!! I have never seen better colour rendition and shading in a display, I was a 'tad' concerned about buying the pio, the pano Z with 1080p was about $500 cheaper and the marketing types must have subliminally beaten into me that I need High Def..

When you have this amount of colour pallette, shading and absolute picture quality, this thing makes a mockery of 1080p displays.

Believe the hype...this display is ridicuously good..I am still giggling like a schoolgirl whenever I play DVDs on it....ooh boy I am going to need sedatives when I try blu ray..

Cheers

Hi,

I've also got the 508XDA and I'm also very happy with it. I would like to know what DVD player you are using? On Sunday night I watched "Black Hawk Down" on TenHD and the PQ was fantastic. As soon as it finished I put the DVD on and was very disappointed in comparison. Are you using an upscaling player? What settings on the 508?

Thanks

Pioneer 508XDA is awesome i agree, Even with my old pioneer progressive scan dvd player (no upscaling) only one grip and it is small . . . DTV tuner is a little on the slow side when channel surfing :( this compared to how gr8 the unit is very minute.

Good work Pioneer!

Edited by Cobra_bal