Sign in to follow this  
Spero D.

New Pioneer 8th Gen Plasmas 508 Etc

Sorry, I don't understand? :unsure:

How is the "designed and built in Japan" from the Pio website any different?

Hi

I'm hoping someone can help with an audio question on the LX508 I've just received.

When playing audio through the TV speakers, it seems a little out of sync. However, when I run a cable from the analogue out on the back of the TV into my normal hifi amp (not a surround receiver, just 2 channel), it seems to be fine.

I rang Pioneer who tell me I should try an optical out to my amplifier (which I don't have), but this seems to run contrary to what I've read here.

Anyone know what's going on here please?

Thanks

I sometimes get the same with my 508XDA, but i am starting to think mine has serious issues with everything else i am experiencing.

Nope, i have tried that a number of times (the button below the 9 is different on aussie version but i have tried this button and the 'i' button).

Thanks was worried about that. I would still call Pioneer as you cannot confirm time done and you do have other issues.

Guest EZYHD
I sometimes get the same with my 508XDA, but i am starting to think mine has serious issues with everything else i am experiencing.

It looks like you need a Pioneer service call.

OK I think I know more now....

The TV sound seems to be OK, it's using the analogue audio out that comes out BEFORE the picture. I had read that the analogue would be in sync, the optical not. Quite upset about it! I can't use my stereo (which is good) as speakers.

Anyone else tried this? I have an LX508

The TV sound seems to be OK, it's using the analogue audio out that comes out BEFORE the picture. I had read that the analogue would be in sync, the optical not. Quite upset about it! I can't use my stereo (which is good) as speakers.

All DTV have processing applications that take your image and duplicate the image also known as LAG..............you nee to use your optical output from you Plasma and it will be in sync with the image

optical output from your plasma can be connected to your amp therefore your speakers on your stereo arent wasted.

optical output from your plasma can be connected to your amp therefore your speakers on your stereo arent wasted.

Thanks

Hmmm, so are you saying the analogue out is NOT in sync and the optical one is? Unfortunately I don't have an optical input on my amp so I can't test this. Can anyone else verify this please?

This is contrary to what the manual says BTW

Thanks

Hmmm, so are you saying the analogue out is NOT in sync and the optical one is? Unfortunately I don't have an optical input on my amp so I can't test this. Can anyone else verify this please?

This is contrary to what the manual says BTW

I think I'm reading this right, are you asking if you have an optical out from Plasma to Amp optical in that the sound is in sync with the TV picture.

I can say that the sound is very close to being in sync but not 100%. If I have the amp sound as well as the Tv sound on you get an echo effect. The sound coming from the amp speakers are slightly later than the sound coming from the TV speakers. This isn't a problem to me as I just turn down the TV sound and leave the amp speakers going.

I think I'm reading this right, are you asking if you have an optical out from Plasma to Amp optical in that the sound is in sync with the TV picture.

I can say that the sound is very close to being in sync but not 100%. If I have the amp sound as well as the Tv sound on you get an echo effect. The sound coming from the amp speakers are slightly later than the sound coming from the TV speakers. This isn't a problem to me as I just turn down the TV sound and leave the amp speakers going.

Yes, that's what I'm asking.

The echo effect is what I get through the analogue outs as well, but I do notice it if I turn the TV speakers off - the delay from the picture is noticable to me.

I rang Pioneer who are sending a service guy out later in the week. He thought that the analogue outs should be totally in sync with the sound out of the speakers, as it comes out of the same processor (i.e. the speakers are analogue too of course). Mentioned that it might be a fault with the sound decoding board.

I'll be sure to let you know what the outcome is.

Yes, that's what I'm asking.

The echo effect is what I get through the analogue outs as well, but I do notice it if I turn the TV speakers off - the delay from the picture is noticable to me.

I rang Pioneer who are sending a service guy out later in the week. He thought that the analogue outs should be totally in sync with the sound out of the speakers, as it comes out of the same processor (i.e. the speakers are analogue too of course). Mentioned that it might be a fault with the sound decoding board.

I'll be sure to let you know what the outcome is.

By analogue out are you refering to the red and white cables?

Yep - "monitor out" I think it's called on the back of the TV

Just unhooked the otpical cable from the amp and hooked up the plasma to the amp using the red and white cables from the monitor out on the plasma to the amp.

At first i thought there was an echo but then realised it wasn't and it was just me standing to close to the TV and hearing sound coming from the TV speakers and surround system.

I adjusted the volume to make both sources similar and found they matched quite well with no echo.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

I have just got myself the pdp508xda and I am trying to work out the best settings.

I have connected an XBOX elite, HTPC (dvi-hdmi), DVD (component).

I did find the list at http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544315, but I would love to know which settings would be best suited to our australian FTA.

Any suggestions please?

Just unhooked the otpical cable from the amp and hooked up the plasma to the amp using the red and white cables from the monitor out on the plasma to the amp.

At first i thought there was an echo but then realised it wasn't and it was just me standing to close to the TV and hearing sound coming from the TV speakers and surround system.

I adjusted the volume to make both sources similar and found they matched quite well with no echo.

Hope this helps.

Chrissyoscar, you're a great help, thanks so much. I'll keep investigating and let you know what the outcome is.

Cheers :)

Hi,

I have just got myself the pdp508xda and I am trying to work out the best settings.

I have connected an XBOX elite, HTPC (dvi-hdmi), DVD (component).

I did find the list at http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544315, but I would love to know which settings would be best suited to our australian FTA.

Any suggestions please?

Good question. I use the D65 HDMI settings for my Xbox 360 and its HD DVD addon (also an Elite, connected to my 508xda via HDMI) and these settings look superb for that. But still looking for the best settings for standard DVD (Oppo 981 thru HDMI), Foxtel (Component) and the inbuilt FTA tuner.

Have tried the AVForum freeview for FTA and Sky SD Scart for Foxtel but not convinced these are optimal. The D65 HDMI settings look pretty good for the Oppo SD DVD though.

Good question. I use the D65 HDMI settings for my Xbox 360 and its HD DVD addon (also an Elite, connected to my 508xda via HDMI) and these settings look superb for that. But still looking for the best settings for standard DVD (Oppo 981 thru HDMI), Foxtel (Component) and the inbuilt FTA tuner.

Have tried the AVForum freeview for FTA and Sky SD Scart for Foxtel but not convinced these are optimal. The D65 HDMI settings look pretty good for the Oppo SD DVD though.

So far I have been using both the HTPC and the Xbox at the panel native resolution 1360x768.

Using the native resolution has a side effect that the Pro Adjust Menu along with other settings are missing.

So, would I be better off running the xbox at 1080p?

I also tried some of those settings with FTA, but I found that some material was lacking colour. Surely someone has spent the time to tweak the settings for Australian conditions?

I saw both the LX and XDA yesterday and was blown away by both. The LX is way out of my price range so I am only looking at the 508XDA. David Jones have a deal at the moment where you pay $5499 for the tv and get a $825 gift card (which is good for me because I will be buying a PS3 and some other things). For me this means the tv will cost $4674 and I can put it on 4 years interest free. The cheapest price I could get yesterday in Perth was $4800 but no interest free. Has anyone seen a better deal than the DJ deal in Perth?

Thanks, Paul

With regards to the audio sync problem.

I have heard from Pioneer support that it is a known problem with some 8G's. Waiting for a fix...

Just got my LX508A setup and both the audio through the speakers, and the optical feed to the amp are fine. I haven't changed any settings in particular, just some basic image tweaks.

Hey I'm looking to buy 42XDA through the group buy to use with my PS3.

I mainly watch FTA, DVDs and play PS3.

Now I read that the native res on this set is 1024x768, isn't that low for gaming? Most games play at 720p which is 1366x768 isn't it?

Will playing a Full HD Blu Ray get put down to 1024x768 thus losing alot of pixels from from 1920x1080 and not look as good as a 1080p set?

I guess my question is , will playing Blu-rays and PS3 be better quality than playing them on the 1080p Pana plasmas (PZ700A).

Pioneer 428 will scale any input to the panel's native resolution.

720p refers to the horizontal resolution and as such this panel has 768 so no issues there.

Resolution has alot to do with PQ, but other factors which influence are contrast ratio, scaling/picture processing, colour reproduction etc. At 42", unless you are sitting close to the screen you may not necessarily resolve the extra resolution, and these other factors will play more of a part in delivering a great PQ. The blacks on the Pio's should not be underestimated. For what it's worth, I would stick to the Pio as first choice, but maybe wait until after Xmas when prices will settle a bit more and maybe a price drop by Pioneer Australia.

Hey I'm looking to buy 42XDA through the group buy to use with my PS3.

I mainly watch FTA, DVDs and play PS3.

Now I read that the native res on this set is 1024x768, isn't that low for gaming? Most games play at 720p which is 1366x768 isn't it?

Will playing a Full HD Blu Ray get put down to 1024x768 thus losing alot of pixels from from 1920x1080 and not look as good as a 1080p set?

I guess my question is , will playing Blu-rays and PS3 be better quality than playing them on the 1080p Pana plasmas (PZ700A).

i've always found that the native resolution of the panel works best... no scaling... i can run higher than the native on my PJ (though not by much) and it doesn't look as good as the native res...

of course a higher native res will help with gaming for sure... it just depends on what's important... if you want the black detail then the Kuro is the way to go... i find black levels are actually pretty important for gaming if you don't want to artificially ramp up the gamma so that you can see detail in dark areas... the other arguement is on a 42" set you're gonna need to sit REAL close to notice the difference... i'd go 1080P personally, but still get the Kuro!! :)

I prefer to get the the best panel at the best possible price, rather than setting a spending limit and getting the best i can afford. Although i do appreciate that people are different. If i was setting a spending limit and then purchasing, the first piece of advice i would give you is to join the GB and find out exactly what you can afford... i know of a few people that have stepped up to the 50" from the 42" due to pricing. This will maybe meet in the middle of your issues - you get a higher native res and and extra 8" and get to keep the black levels...

i won't mention the pricing on the thread but my opinion is if you can afford to purchase the 42" then you can also afford the 50" .... the LX's are another matter though...

Edited by SleepRequired