New Pioneer 8th Gen Plasmas 508 Etc

I'm in the market for new Plasma as well, and eagerly waiting for this panel to be released.

I'll be all over this new Kuro if they release the 60" 1080 for less than AU$10000...

My current plasma is due for replacement although there is nothing wrong with them (42" SD panel, bought in 2002 for AU$12000 - yes, that's 3 zeroes in there!!!!!!!)

Edited by ben1680

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So who here is as excited as me about the new models being released!?

Who is interested in a group buy? (I will probably start a new thread about it soonish, I can't seem to start one at the moment)

Might be an idea to include the 50" & 60" in the group buy I mean its an 1080p model so anything under 50" is a waste of money JMHO

cheers laurie

Might be an idea to include the 50" & 60" in the group buy I mean its an 1080p model so anything under 50" is a waste of money JMHO

cheers laurie

Would seriously love the 60"!! :wub:

Except I can't pyhsically fit anything bigger than a 42" in the space available........ :(

But isn't 508 only available in one size? 50 inch?

Yes but there is also a 60" model (608) also available in the US/Japan/UK that will hopefully make it's way down under

Edited by diesel

Yes that is right and 508 only 1366 x 768 but the manufactures will be trying to supply mass markets before bothering with such a tiny market as here,.

So we will probably be supplied later rather than sooner.

Should have figured the 60" would be '608'

If the reviews are anything to go on they will sell like hot cakes for the first few months anyway.

Edited by mwd

Would seriously love the 60"!! :wub:

Except I can't pyhsically fit anything bigger than a 42" in the space available........ :(

Pete wasn't having a go at people getting a 42" ;) just saying as far as resolving 1080p it MHO 50" and larger will be better and to be honest I did not think Pioneer HAD a 42" 1080p KUROS model!!!

cheers laurie

Full specs and model number

50-inch 1080p KURO with Direct Colour Filter 3+

Nothing is as powerful and emotional as film.

It’s the very reason why we’ve put more than ten years of design, research and development into building KURO: a flat screen television that will let you see and hear film like never before.

Our goal was straightforward: to build a screen that delivered the absolute best picture quality in the world. A screen that was true to how filmmakers intended their work to be seen. The result is KURO.

Voted as Europe's best Full-HD plasma TV‘KURO’ means black in Japanese; this is relevant because our KURO screens have significantly deeper black levels than any other flat-screen TV on the market; some 80% deeper.

The deepest black levels produce the purest colours, which reveal the sharpest details. This is KURO.

The KURO screen gives you the ability to see literally every shade between black and white. Now, the film you see – and feel - on-screen is unparalleled in range and detail, the ultimate appearance of vivid and flawless colour.

The impact of what you see on KURO is unlike anything you have possibly seen before.

Features that make this KURO different from the other models in the range are:

* 1080p screen: This KURO has a resolution of 1920 x 1080 and is capable of displaying the entire range of High Definition sources, including 720p, 1080i and 1080p. What this means is that you get the ultimate in High Definition image detail, colour accuracy and fast moving image clarity.

* Intelligent Brightness Control which intelligently controls on-screen brightness so that you get the best picture, regardless of the changing lighting conditions in your room

* Integrated digital DVB-T tuner, with a CI Slot, which means that you don’t require an additional decoder box: everything is integrated in one body. This is ideal if you don’t want a ‘hardware’ invasion in your living room

* USB host: turn your screen into a home media gallery. Simply connect your USB memory stick and enjoy your digital photo’s onscreen. It’s a good way to share your pictures in the best possible format

* Subwoofer output: this KURO has high-grade audio parts: but if you want to boost lower frequencies, it has direct sub out, with no need for an additional amplifier.

* ISF calibration ready: The ISF C3 (or Custom Calibration Configuration) feature allows your screen to be optimised for your viewing environment. As an optional service, a trained professional can precisely calibrate your plasma panel with customised levels of contrast, tint, colour level and other parameters.

* Multi-screen options: this KURO allows for picture in picture and split screen views; particularly useful if you want to keep an eye on a sports game whilst watching a DVD, for example.

Switch language / website:

Main Features PDP-LX508D

Diagonal Screen Size 50-inch / 127cm

'KURO' Screen Yes

1080p Screen Yes

HD Digital Film Direct 24 Yes

Progressive Scan Yes

Aspect Ratio 16:9

Resolution (horizontal x vertical) 1,920 x 1,080

Contrast Ratio 20,000 : 1

TV Tuner Integrated Digital (DVB-T) and Analogue

CI Slot Yes

Speakers Optional high-grade side speakers available

Input Terminals 3 x HDMI, 1 x component, 1 x S-video, 1 x RCA AV, 3 x Euro-SCART, 1 x CI slot, 1 x PC input, 1 x USB host

Output Terminals 1 x optical, 1 x RCA audio, 1 x headphone, 1 x subwoofer out

Intelligent Brightness Control Yes

ISF Calibration Ready Yes

Multiscreen Options (PiP/PaP) Yes

Electronic Program Guide Yes

Dimensions (W x H x D) 1,232 x 722 x 120 mm

Weight 38.3 kg

Power Consumption (In use / Standby) 421W / 0,3W

Screen Build & Picture Quality PDP-LX508D

Ultra Black Panel Yes

Signal Processing Drive 2HD Yes

Direct Colour Filter 3+ Yes

Deep Waffle Rib Structure Yes

i-CLEAR Drive Yes

Dynamic HD Converter Yes

PAL 3D Y/C Separation Yes

Intelligent DRE Yes

Colour Temperature Adjustment Yes

Colour Management Yes

Natural Enhancer Yes

Digital CTI (Colour Transient Improvement) Yes

Digital Flicker-Free Yes

DNR (Digital Noise Reduction) Yes

MPEG NR (Noise Reduction) Yes

Block Noise Reduction Yes

Analogue Tuner Noise Reduction Yes

PureCinema Yes

Home Gallery (JPEG PictureViewer) Yes

Dual Screen Mode (PaP) Yes

Picture-in-Picture Mode (PiP) Yes

Video Signals PAL, SECAM, NTSC3.58, NTSC4.43, PAL60, HD

PC Signals VGA, SVGA, XGA, Wide XGA, SXGA

Audio PDP-LX508D

Audio Output Power 17W + 17W (1 kHz, 10%, 6Ω)

Tone Control (Bass, Treble, Balance) Yes

Sound Options SRS (Surround), SRS Focus (Audio orientation) and TruBass (Bass Boost)

Subwoofer Out (Variable) Yes

Digital Tuner PDP-LX508D

DVB-T Compliant Yes

Modulation COFDM (2k / 8k)

Video decoding MPEG2 MP@ML

Audio Decoding MPEG1 1&2, AC-3

Preset Channels 999

Digital Teletext (MHEG 5) Yes

Analogue Tuner PDP-LX508D

Auto Channel Preset Yes

Preset Channels 999

Teletext (CEEFAX/FLOF/TOP) Yes

Teletext Page Memory 2,100 pages

Picture and Text (Dual Screen) Yes

Control PDP-LX508D

Display Languages 17 languages, including: Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish and Ukranian

Remote Control Preset (TV, VCR, STB, DVD, DVR, BD)

HDMI Control Yes

i/o Link.A Yes

SR+ Yes

Energy Save mode Yes

Power Management (for PC) Yes

Connection terminals PDP-LX508D

HDMI 3 (version 1.3)

Component Video In 1 (side-in)

S-Video In 1 (side-in)

RCA AV In 1 (side-in)

Euro-SCART 3

Digital Optical Audio Out 1

RCA Audio Out 1

PC Input 1

Headphone Out 1

Subwoofer Out (variable) 1

Common Interface Slot (CA Card) 1

SR Control 1

Antenna Terminal Digital Tuner 1

Antenna Terminal Analogue Tuner 1

Other PDP-LX508D

Power Requirements AC220 - 240V, 50/60Hz

:P :P :P

cheers laurie

Anyone got overseas pricing & what it might it translate to here for the 1080p panels?

To the best of my knowledge the 1080p panels aren't out yet. I've seen September for their release in UK/US. I think these will be 50" and 60" with the 1368 panels (508) being 42" and 50". Interesting to see what they price the 60" 1080p pio at here but it sure won't be "cheap", at least not to start with.

To the best of my knowledge the 1080p panels aren't out yet. I've seen September for their release in UK/US. I think these will be 50" and 60" with the 1368 panels (508) being 42" and 50". Interesting to see what they price the 60" 1080p pio at here but it sure won't be "cheap", at least not to start with.

Do you reckon it will be more than $10K here?

What's the street price of the Panasonic 65" Full HD plasma. I'm sure Pioneer will want to compete against this model with their 60"

Shopbot.com Panasonic 65" price comparison:

Check it out

Low street prices $8.3-8.5k - can't see any way the new Pioneer Full HD 60" will be anywhere near this cheap. I'd be amazed if it started under $10k

Having said that, I've been doing a good deal of research on the new Kuro 508 (50 inch - 1365 x 768) which is already out in UK/US and supposed to be coming out in Oz in Sept/Oct. This one is presently about 2150 UK pounds street price which translates - after the recent slide on the Aussie Dollar - to about $A 5750.

The verdict on the Kuro 508 is as unanimous as anything I've seen on any flat screen. It's a whole new level for Plasma. I've also read that this one blows away the other 1920 x 1080 sets on the market even though it isn't full HD.

I think I want one :rolleyes:

Edited by brumby

Shopbot.com Panasonic 65" price comparison:

Check it out

Low street prices $8.3-8.5k

The retail on this is $18K from memory. Its ridiculous how much this has been discounted - obviousy not selling.

If Sony release that 70" LCD in Oz, it will easily be half price in the first month!!

I hope the LX508D (1080p 50") is under $10K - I will snap it up

As you say, at a true 20000:1 contrast ratio, this is the proverbial QUANTUM leap over anything on the market. It seems to be faultless!!