Sign in to follow this  
Spero D.

New Pioneer 8th Gen Plasmas 508 Etc

OK so my LX608 is going to be installed monday YAY.

Couple of questions.

Are there any breakin settings I should use, or is that all over rated with these newer generation pannels.

Upscaling? Does the LX608 do any, does it need to?

I plan to run only one HDMI from my yamaha rxv-2700 to the pannel and let the AVR do all the swtiching.

The yamaha rxv-2700 has the ability to covert everything to HDMI or pass it. Eg 1080p componet to HDMI.

It also has be ability to deinterlace eg 576i to 576p

It also has the ability to upconvert eg 576i to 1080i

Should I use any of these, or just pass them out the HDMI port and let the pannel process them the best way it can?

I have a toshiba dvd player(SD-5200y) that I don't think does 576p only interlaced, (waiting for the format war to be a bit closer to over and the playes are a bit more mature) also have an XBox360 and Foxtel. Trying to workout whats going to be the best options.

What do you guys think?

Couple of questions.

Are there any breakin settings I should use, or is that all over rated with these newer generation pannels.

I plan to run only one HDMI from my yamaha rxv-2700 to the pannel and let the AVR do all the swtiching.

The yamaha rxv-2700 has the ability to covert everything to HDMI or pass it. Eg 1080p componet to HDMI.

Should I use any of these, or just pass them out the HDMI port and let the pannel process them the best way it can?

I have a toshiba dvd player(SD-5200y) that I don't think does 576p only interlaced, (waiting for the format war to be a bit closer to over and the playes are a bit more mature) also have an XBox360 and Foxtel. Trying to workout whats going to be the best options.

What do you guys think?

You now own the worlds best TV. All i can say is..... Buy a $200 HD-DVD drive for your Xbox360 !!

The Kuro can have different settings for each input. The 2700 only has 1 hdmi out, right? So it might be worth running a component output from the Yammy to the Kuro so that you can at least have two inputs to choose from on the TV, one for (say) dvd, another for FTA/Foxtel/different-tweaks.

You now own the worlds best TV. All i can say is..... Buy a $200 HD-DVD drive for your Xbox360 !!

Seems like bluray is winning the war here in australia, hard to find HD dvd' s not in any of my local video stores etc.

I will no doubt buy a bluray player in the near future, maybe there will be a decent one that play both formats decodes DTS MA, does profile 1.1 etc in the near future.

In the mean time maybe I am best to use my xbox as a DVD player.. least it will output 576p DVDs..?

any thoughts on if the lx608 will do upscaling?

The Kuro can have different settings for each input. The 2700 only has 1 hdmi out, right? So it might be worth running a component output from the Yammy to the Kuro so that you can at least have two inputs to choose from on the TV, one for (say) dvd, another for FTA/Foxtel/different-tweaks.

Yes the 2700 only has one HDMI out.

Can't I set up a couple of different "profiles" per port, and swap between them easily? Thought I saw that in the manual?

Edited by uksa007

Couple of questions.

What do you guys think?

Xbox 360 HD addon - definitely worth the spend (I got mine for $220 from HN). Just buy the discs from the likes of Amazon or other US sellers. They are region free, cheap enough even with postage (specially with the dollar as it is), and generally released earlier than here. Oh, and they look sensational!

Upscaling - the panel must scale whatever it receives to its native resolution. it then becomes a question of where best to do the upscaling - source (eg upscaling DVD player), receiver, or display. From what I have read the receiver is generally the worst option, but why not test both out and see what you like.

Connections - I have the 508XDA and chose to connect each source directly to the display. I wanted to do the source switching (for video) on the display and set up different profiles for the different input types. But this link from the Home Theatre FAC has a disucssion on this http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...mp;#entry101410

Are you getting it installed on the wall with cable concealment? If so I would run multiple cables to the unit now in case you choose to use them later eg a couple of HDMI, a component and perhaps an svideo. If not hanging on wall then of course only need what you intend to use now.

Can you post some pics when you set it up?

Thanks

Xbox 360 HD addon - definitely worth the spend (I got mine for $220 from HN). Just buy the discs from the likes of Amazon or other US sellers. They are region free, cheap enough even with postage (specially with the dollar as it is), and generally released earlier than here. Oh, and they look sensational!

Won't the xbox only output 1080i HDDVD unless you use the VGA cable, which has colour issues?

It doesn't sound like all that good of a deal to me?

I saw both the LX and XDA yesterday and was blown away by both. The LX is way out of my price range so I am only looking at the 508XDA. David Jones have a deal at the moment where you pay $5499 for the tv and get a $825 gift card (which is good for me because I will be buying a PS3 and some other things). For me this means the tv will cost $4674 and I can put it on 4 years interest free. The cheapest price I could get yesterday in Perth was $4800 but no interest free. Has anyone seen a better deal than the DJ deal in Perth?

Thanks, Paul

I saw both the LX and XDA yesterday and was blown away by both. The LX is way out of my price range so I am only looking at the 508XDA. David Jones have a deal at the moment where you pay $5499 for the tv and get a $825 gift card (which is good for me because I will be buying a PS3 and some other things). For me this means the tv will cost $4674 and I can put it on 4 years interest free. The cheapest price I could get yesterday in Perth was $4800 but no interest free. Has anyone seen a better deal than the DJ deal in Perth?

Thanks, Paul

You havent considered our Group buy?

http://postreleasepioneerwiki.pbwiki.com/FrontPage

Password Kuro

Won't the xbox only output 1080i HDDVD unless you use the VGA cable, which has colour issues?

It doesn't sound like all that good of a deal to me?

I have the Xbox 360 Elite, which has a HDMI connection and does 1080p. But even the component version at 1080i I'd reckon would be very nice - the PIO's deinterlacer does a very good job.

If the deinterlacer in the Pioneer is any good 1080i and 1080p should look identical.

Thanks, Paul

Im in the market as well (in Perth). 1 DJ person said he will price match, and do interest free (4 years) and do the rebate... howeer when I went in there he was told no by the manager..

Was at west coast hifi today and they said 4800 was the cheapest they would do.

My 508XDA has started looking really bad. The amount of artifacts and judder is ridiculous. Any moderate to fast movement ends up in 1/2 inch blocks all over the screen and there are no settings that allow me to fix this.

All i can say is that this plasma is going downhill very fast. It seems the more i watch the worse it looks and that is from all types of sources (HD, SD, DVD, XBOX360) and all with different setting and ddrive modes.

not a happy customer - and they still havn't replaced my screen!!

My 508XDA has started looking really bad. The amount of artifacts and judder is ridiculous. Any moderate to fast movement ends up in 1/2 inch blocks all over the screen and there are no settings that allow me to fix this.

All i can say is that this plasma is going downhill very fast. It seems the more i watch the worse it looks and that is from all types of sources (HD, SD, DVD, XBOX360) and all with different setting and ddrive modes.

not a happy customer - and they still havn't replaced my screen!!

Have you switched off all the noise reductions settings? Also, what connections are you using and what are they outputting? Give us more info.

Have you switched off all the noise reductions settings? Also, what connections are you using and what are they outputting? Give us more info.

Yes agreed not much to go on..

Although it sounds like the video processing has gone up the spout.

You will be able to post on how good or bad Pioneer Service is.

Yes, all noise reduction settings turned off. drive mode generally 2 (have tried 1 & 3). All inputs are either FTA (90 - 100% reception), or component video. The xbox is displaying 1080i, dvd's at 576p (no upscaling)

i had a problem with 2 frozen pixels (which are still there). Pioneer came out to inspect, said i need to run it in for 150 hours and ever since it has had that problem. I wonder if he changed a setting in the service menu.

I tried looking for an overall 'reset' button/menu option but can't find anything. Do you know how to access the service menu on these models?

It is seriously so bad that it makes it difficult to watch TV on. if there is a large object on the screen that moves from one side to the other, the blocks get 1/2 to 1 inch square and disappear as soon as the object stops moving. Still images or slow moving such as somebody talking are clear and defined

Yes, all noise reduction settings turned off. drive mode generally 2 (have tried 1 & 3). All inputs are either FTA (90 - 100% reception), or component video. The xbox is displaying 1080i, dvd's at 576p (no upscaling)

i had a problem with 2 frozen pixels (which are still there). Pioneer came out to inspect, said i need to run it in for 150 hours and ever since it has had that problem. I wonder if he changed a setting in the service menu.

I tried looking for an overall 'reset' button/menu option but can't find anything. Do you know how to access the service menu on these models?

It is seriously so bad that it makes it difficult to watch TV on. if there is a large object on the screen that moves from one side to the other, the blocks get 1/2 to 1 inch square and disappear as soon as the object stops moving. Still images or slow moving such as somebody talking are clear and defined

Called Pioneer about it? Best to ask them as this should not be happening.

Called Pioneer about it? Best to ask them as this should not be happening.

What is the current overall feedback on the 508XDA's in terms of reliability. I know it is early days but are owners happy with the unit and what it delivers ?

The post on this page really surprised me or is what a simple case of wrong setting by the tech ?

i really wnated to clock up the 150 hours that he said i need to do first and then call them, otherwise they will just tell me to wait.

does anyone know how to access the service menu (not the normal menu but the one the technicians access so i can see what hours i have done)

i really wnated to clock up the 150 hours that he said i need to do first and then call them, otherwise they will just tell me to wait.

does anyone know how to access the service menu (not the normal menu but the one the technicians access so i can see what hours i have done)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread....15&page=353

Take care and use only if you are sure what you are doing :wacko: We assume this works for the aussie version

Edited by Peacekeeper

Hi

I'm hoping someone can help with an audio question on the LX508 I've just received.

When playing audio through the TV speakers, it seems a little out of sync. However, when I run a cable from the analogue out on the back of the TV into my normal hifi amp (not a surround receiver, just 2 channel), it seems to be fine.

I rang Pioneer who tell me I should try an optical out to my amplifier (which I don't have), but this seems to run contrary to what I've read here.

Anyone know what's going on here please?

Thanks

Hi

I'm hoping someone can help with an audio question on the LX508 I've just received.

When playing audio through the TV speakers, it seems a little out of sync. However, when I run a cable from the analogue out on the back of the TV into my normal hifi amp (not a surround receiver, just 2 channel), it seems to be fine.

I rang Pioneer who tell me I should try an optical out to my amplifier (which I don't have), but this seems to run contrary to what I've read here.

Anyone know what's going on here please?

Thanks

To all LX models owners, can you please confirm that the units are "Made in Japan" and are you available to find out model\firmware version\date.

To all LX models owners, can you please confirm that the units are "Made in Japan" and are you available to find out model\firmware version\date.

From the Pioneer website

Manufacturing quality like never before

The Pioneer KURO PDP-LX508A Full HD plasma is designed and built in Japan, using Pioneer glass and components. We don’t compromise on quality ,and neither should you.

Pioneer engineers control the entire manufacturing process, and have developed and patented many of the world-leading technologies that make Pioneer Plasma Display Panels so unique.

From the Pioneer website

yeah thanks, i was meaning the "made in japan" label on the back of the screen :)