Sign in to follow this  
Spero D.

New Pioneer 8th Gen Plasmas 508 Etc

Interesting that none of the Elite TVs are full HD, only the Elite Monitor (old existing model)......

The AVForums link provided by Sjvilla suggests that the US is still waiting for the 1080p models.

I was trying to compare the elite models with the non elite ones but the stupid pioneer website only lets you compare models within the same range (ie compare 50" with 42" - what is the point in that?). Anyway what I can gather is the elite has better sound, better calibration options and something called "pure" mode. We will have to see what we end up with here, but most probably they will be the UK models or similar.

If you saw the CRT I am talking about you would understand why I wouldn't spend $50 on it, let alone $200. It's so old it even has peeling off fake vinyl woodgrain on the sides. It is actually quite comical having an expensive home theatre setup with Denon amp, and upscaling DVD play and large 5.1 speakers with this piece of crud in the middle. I held of buying a plasma before because I was moving to a bigger house, but its now time to complete the project. I am looking forward to dropping the old TV from a great height. :P Unlike many people I have no nostalgia for CRT.

Fair enough,but you must admit they don't make fake vinyl woodgrain like they used to...................

Guest EZYHD
Just thought I would post these as they are some nice shots of the new panels, On the below link you can find a comparison of the 507/508 with the same settings.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread....15&page=181

And below some gorgeous shots from Sky HD. A bit past half way down.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....ge=64&pp=30

The mind boggles if the prices there are anything like that here, will make the current run out 50" model Pioneers an absolute bargain.

The mind boggles if the prices there are anything like that here, will make the current run out 50" model Pioneers an absolute bargain.

Did I do this correctly.

UK3600 is AUD$8,400

I'll bet it's more by the time they ship to Oz.

At least for a little while.

Guest EZYHD
Did I do this correctly.

UK3600 is AUD$8,400

All counted and correct.

Did I do this correctly.

UK3600 is AUD$8,400

I read it as 3600 euros Lyle. So ~AU$5900. Very steep indeed. I find that price hard to believe actually.

Did I do this correctly.

UK3600 is AUD$8,400

Yah but EUR3600 is only ~AUD5600.

My impression is that Australian prices aren't too far out of whack with UK/Europe, certainly not compared with the US. Eg cheapest UK Internet price for the 507XD seems to be GBP1640=~AUD3820, pretty similar to what we're seeing here (and the 508 is already out there).

pjc

Edit: Whoops, Andy got there first. Depends on the fortunes of the Aussie of course. And anyway, aren't we all happy with our MXE20s?

Yah but EUR3600 is only ~AUD5600.

My impression is that Australian prices aren't too far out of whack with UK/Europe, certainly not compared with the US. Eg cheapest UK Internet price for the 507XD seems to be GBP1640=~AUD3820, pretty similar to what we're seeing here (and the 508 is already out there).

pjc

Edit: Whoops, Andy got there first. Depends on the fortunes of the Aussie of course. And anyway, aren't we all happy with our MXE20s?

Lets not drag this into a price discussion, plenty of room for one of those as we get closer to release.

I read it as 3600 euros Lyle. So ~AU$5900. Very steep indeed. I find that price hard to believe actually.

Right you are, I mis-read the symbol.

That's not so bad.

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi

Absolutely.

Lets not drag this into a price discussion, plenty of room for one of those as we get closer to release.

Perhaps, but it not unrealistic to think that there will not be a high price point initially.

After which the street price will drop. As always.

No doubt in 12 months time it will be competitive with what we are paying now.

In the meantime we will have had 12+ months of quality enjoyment with our current Pio's.

That's the point I was subtly trying to make! :)

I find pricing is dependent on what retail outlets Pioneer lets them have it first,if its Myers/David Jones then expect top prices,if HN of JB Hi-Fi lower prices

cheers laurie

Pricing is standard. Pioneer will release an RRP that companies will use as a guide for their price, but they are not permitted to charge more than the RRP. Discount retailers i.e. JB hifi etc will then reduce that price in order to get sales rolling.

The price when the are initially released should not be higher than the 507 RRP when the finish up in Novemeber. Pricing should be avaliable in september when retailers start placing orders

The price when the are initially released should not be higher than the 507 RRP when the finish up in Novemeber. Pricing should be avaliable in september when retailers start placing orders

It has been suggested by Pioneer sales that rrp may be a little more than 507.

Does anyone have any further info on availability and pricing of 508 xd, etc for Australia.

From below, these look amazing:

http://www.thehomecinemacentre.co.uk/tv-di...ioneer-508.html

This is what you're going to get by the way...

Technical Specifications:

16.000:1 Contrast Ratio

HD ready

HD Digital Film Direct - 24FPS

HDMI input

HDMI CEC control

PC Input

Digital Tuner (DVB-T compliant)

ISF C3 Ready

Ultra Black Crystal Layer

Direct Colour Filter 3

Ambient Light Sensor

Active DRE (Dynamic Range Expander)

Multiscreen Modes (PiP/PaP)

Electronic Program Guide (EPG)

Home Gallery by USB 2.0

i-CLEAR Drive

Noise Reduction

Dynamic HD Converter

PAL 3D Y/C Separation

Optional stands and brackets available

Connection Terminals:

3 HDMI

1 Component Video In

1 S-Video In (Side AV)

1 RCA AV In (Side AV)

3 Euro-SCART

1 RCA Audio input (for component)

1 PC Input

1 Common Interface Slot (CA Card)

Dimensions Panel (W x H x D): 1224 x 717 x 115

Weight Panel: 34.5 kg

Does anyone have any further info on availability and pricing of 508 xd, etc for Australia.

http://www.thehomecinemacentre.co.uk/tv-di...ioneer-508.html

This is what you're going to get by the way...

Technical Specifications:

16.000:1 Contrast Ratio

HD ready

HD Digital Film Direct - 24FPS

HDMI input

HDMI CEC control

PC Input

Digital Tuner (DVB-T compliant)

ISF C3 Ready

Ultra Black Crystal Layer

Direct Colour Filter 3

Ambient Light Sensor

Active DRE (Dynamic Range Expander)

Multiscreen Modes (PiP/PaP)

Electronic Program Guide (EPG)

Home Gallery by USB 2.0

i-CLEAR Drive

Noise Reduction

Dynamic HD Converter

PAL 3D Y/C Separation

Optional stands and brackets available

Connection Terminals:

3 HDMI

1 Component Video In

1 S-Video In (Side AV)

1 RCA AV In (Side AV)

3 Euro-SCART

1 RCA Audio input (for component)

1 PC Input

1 Common Interface Slot (CA Card)

Dimensions Panel (W x H x D): 1224 x 717 x 115

Weight Panel: 34.5 kg

Edited by joyacacia

Hi there, :D :D

We are planning on buying one,, carn,t wait!!!!! :D :D

cheers to all the other buyers in waiting :rolleyes:

Why start a new thread when one exists.

Pioneer 8 Series Pdp-508xd

Sorry - I tried searching for 508 and 508xd and nothing came up.. guess there's a limitation on searching withing words, which would make sense..

Not 1080p which for me puts a real damper on an otherwise great looking product.

Not 1080p which for me puts a real damper on an otherwise great looking product.

It accepts a 1080p signal or did you mean the res? Because there will be a 1080p 50" and 60" coming in October as well.

It accepts a 1080p signal or did you mean the res? Because there will be a 1080p 50" and 60" coming in October as well.

Was talking about the res. I had scanned articles on the internet and didnt see a 1080 model yet. Well thats good news, its gone to the top of my list then.

Why are you worried about 1080 on a 50”? At what distance do you plan on viewing your display.

Have you ever directly compared a 1080 50” with a comparable quality 768 50” at your intended viewing distance? You can do so right now with the current Pioneers.

Food for though, IMHO the Pioneer 50MXE20 is a better plasma than the Pioneer 5000EX.

Go and check it out and see.

Maybe you will have a revelation.

Why are you worried about 1080 on a 50”? At what distance do you plan on viewing your display.

Have you ever directly compared a 1080 50” with a comparable quality 768 50” at your intended viewing distance? You can do so right now with the current Pioneers.

768 is not 1080. I'm not fussed how many people insist that there is no difference from X feet. With that same argument you can insist there is no difference between an SD panel and a 768 panel at X feet, yet people are still buying 768 panels. The difference in pixel count between SD and 768 is far less than 768 and 1080 so why are we not arguing for everyone to buy an SD set?

Fact is 1080 is the next generation, with current media specifically formatted to play to a 1080 resolution. Price is the only reason to go backwards in technology.

You can buy a 1080 50 pioneer today, have you compared it to the current 768p model?

I have a 70” 1920x1080p display and know better then most what difference 1080 makes, that’s why I am posing the question.

If I where looking for a 50” display for my 3 meters viewing distance I would never ever be interested in a 1080 model unless it provided benefites other then resolution, regardless of cost.