New Pioneer 8th Gen Plasmas 508 Etc

Pioneer 428 will scale any input to the panel's native resolution.

720p refers to the horizontal resolution and as such this panel has 768 so no issues there.

Resolution has alot to do with PQ, but other factors which influence are contrast ratio, scaling/picture processing, colour reproduction etc. At 42", unless you are sitting close to the screen you may not necessarily resolve the extra resolution, and these other factors will play more of a part in delivering a great PQ. The blacks on the Pio's should not be underestimated. For what it's worth, I would stick to the Pio as first choice, but maybe wait until after Xmas when prices will settle a bit more and maybe a price drop by Pioneer Australia.

Wouldnt it make sense for Pioneer Australia to drop the price BEFORE x'mas so that they could get in for the x'mas rush?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pioneer have positioned themselves in the market as a "Premium Product" and as such would not be discounting their price so soon after release - even though Panasonic, Sony, Samsung etc have all just dropped their prices considerably a few weeks ago. With such a hyped product just out, they will be counting on the Xmas rush to bring in some higher margin sales and then my guess is early in the new year reduce their RRP - like they have done with previous models.

I tend to disagree.

I happened to go to MYER today and it appears the Pioneer models are getting heavily discounted. With not much trouble I got him to $4,400 for the 508XDA.

I then went to JB (Nunawading), the price was matched and the sales rep told me to wait until next week (when stock arrives) and the sticker price will be $4,300.

For those in the GB (which I also am) and still on the wait list for some models (have now been told at least 1 more week) I'll leave it up to you to make up your minds what you want to do.

I tend to disagree.

I happened to go to MYER today and it appears the Pioneer models are getting heavily discounted. With not much trouble I got him to $4,400 for the 508XDA.

I then went to JB (Nunawading), the price was matched and the sales rep told me to wait until next week (when stock arrives) and the sticker price will be $4,300.

For those in the GB (which I also am) and still on the wait list for some models (have now been told at least 1 more week) I'll leave it up to you to make up your minds what you want to do.

nick,

you have to wait a week to be supplied your 508XDA, the myer sales rep told you you'll have to wait another week... i'm not seeing a difference here... although there is one OBVIOUS difference i won't go into on the thread

Good question. I use the D65 HDMI settings for my Xbox 360 and its HD DVD addon (also an Elite, connected to my 508xda via HDMI) and these settings look superb for that. But still looking for the best settings for standard DVD (Oppo 981 thru HDMI), Foxtel (Component) and the inbuilt FTA tuner.

Have tried the AVForum freeview for FTA and Sky SD Scart for Foxtel but not convinced these are optimal. The D65 HDMI settings look pretty good for the Oppo SD DVD though.

I too haven't yet found what I think is an optimal setting for SD DVD and FTA on the 508 XDA, not that it's much short of spectacular without tweaking much at all. For those who might have been disappointed seeing this panel in the stores. Make SURE that the panel is not set on "Dynamic". Mine was out of the box when it was delivered and I'd be willing to bet that 90 percent of the ones on display have not been changed. Dynamic oversaturates everything and is the only mode which cannot be tweaked.

Nearly, would you say it's worth registering on AVF to get the D65 HDMI settings for SD DVD?

Pioneer have positioned themselves in the market as a "Premium Product" and as such would not be discounting their price so soon after release - even though Panasonic, Sony, Samsung etc have all just dropped their prices considerably a few weeks ago. With such a hyped product just out, they will be counting on the Xmas rush to bring in some higher margin sales and then my guess is early in the new year reduce their RRP - like they have done with previous models.

Would it be wise to have another group buy early in the new year then? That way, perhaps I can afford the 50" LX!!!

I too haven't yet found what I think is an optimal setting for SD DVD and FTA on the 508 XDA, not that it's much short of spectacular without tweaking much at all. For those who might have been disappointed seeing this panel in the stores. Make SURE that the panel is not set on "Dynamic". Mine was out of the box when it was delivered and I'd be willing to bet that 90 percent of the ones on display have not been changed. Dynamic oversaturates everything and is the only mode which cannot be tweaked.

Nearly, would you say it's worth registering on AVF to get the D65 HDMI settings for SD DVD?

It would be worth a try to see what you think. It doesn't hurt to register, but if you'd rather not you can pm me with an email address and I'll send them to you.

It would be worth a try to see what you think. It doesn't hurt to register, but if you'd rather not you can pm me with an email address and I'll send them to you.

fyi,

I won't get into pricing (we all know the GB details by now), but I tend to agree and have been saying that specials are appearing and will be getting better as Xmas\New Year approaches. Here is just another example;

http://www.uslcabramatta.com.au/

http://www.cabramattahifi.com.au/

Pioneer Kuro PDP-508XDA 50" HD Plasma TV - $4,999.00

Pioneer Kuro PDP-428XDA 42" HD Plasma TV - $3,999.00

:)

Edited by hermes_2k5

fyi,

I won't get into pricing (we all know the GB details by now), but I tend to agree and have been saying that specials are appearing and will be getting better as Xmas\New Year approaches. Here is just another example;

http://www.uslcabramatta.com.au/

http://www.cabramattahifi.com.au/

Pioneer Kuro PDP-508XDA 50" HD Plasma TV - $4,999.00

Pioneer Kuro PDP-428XDA 42" HD Plasma TV - $3,999.00

:)

What's so good about those prices?

You could all wait till Sept 08 when you can get them as runouts. What about Sept 09? Group buy prices are excellent prices without the hassel of haggling. All you need to do is pick up the phone and order. Simple.

Could you be more specific please? What did they say and what problem are you having?

Ta

"Pioneer techo called me

yesterday and confirmed this is a known issue on most the 8th TV and

there is no quick fix at the moment. The work around is to use the phone

output to the AMP stereo to match the picture and sound. The analog

audio, optical output or internal speaker are slight out of sync with

the picture. They will let me when the fix is release from the factory."

I tend to disagree.

i rang JB Nunawadding today and they told me it was below their cost. I offered to buy on the spot! over the phone! and still got a no.

i rang JB Nunawadding today and they told me it was below their cost. I offered to buy on the spot! over the phone! and still got a no.

No one does deals over the phone ... he said to wait until next week (which is now this week) until stock gets in and then prices will drop. I can only assume stock is not in, therefore prices remain the same.

No one does deals over the phone ... he said to wait until next week (which is now this week) until stock gets in and then prices will drop. I can only assume stock is not in, therefore prices remain the same.

they won't get stock this week, they won't be selling for 4300... that's what i've been told... and you're aware of why i would know... and yes, if they can sell a panel over the phone they will...

if you are certain of this i have spoken to our contact and you are free to cancel your order, and buy from JB Nunawading if you like... i can organise it... you just let me know

Edited by SleepRequired

I tend to disagree.

I happened to go to MYER today and it appears the Pioneer models are getting heavily discounted. With not much trouble I got him to $4,400 for the 508XDA....

You might be right according to this report

Despite having what has been described as the best plasma TV in the world, Pioneer are being forced to compete for the plasma scraps at the bottom end of the market.

Now the company has done another about face and are again seeking the support of mass retailers for their new LX product range. Describing their previous distribution model as tired they now claim that almost anyone can sell their plasma screens as long as they have the floor space and the capability to merchandise the plasma screens.

While things don't look good for Pioneer the company is having one last fling this Xmas in an effort to turnaround their fortunes.

You might be right according to this report

You will be caught in a catch22 situation, the Pioneer's will become cheaper and so will other brands (which might have better features then the Pioneer), but by the time you decide to buy the new models have arrived and you wait again. It doesn't end....

So when do you buy ?

Like with most technology, once you walk out the shop - the price will fall the next day and a new model has arrived with twice the features and half the cost.

Newspaper columnists and tech articles contradict themselves almost everyday with HD that and HD this and confuse the consumer even more.

It was so much easier in the CRT days.

(sorry my lunchtime rant.....)

Soooooooooooo

Is Pioneer on a downward spiral like Pentax are with their consumer market Digital Cameras ?

Things sure don't seem rosy for them.

I'm now having to buy in January (various reasons). The 508 is still top of list but the Xmas selling period will be interesting for sure.

The only other plasmas on my list is the Pannie 70A (mainly for it's ability to handle FTA well and faster channel changing :)) and the Sammie P9 (still can't gte past that name...)

Edited by Capizzi

Soooooooooooo

Is Pioneer on a downward spiral like Pentax are with their consumer market Digital Cameras ?

Things sure don't seem rosy for them.

I'm now having to buy in January (various reasons). The 508 is still top of list but the Xmas selling period will be interesting for sure.

The only other plasmas on my list is the Pannie 70A (mainly for it's ability to handle FTA well and faster channel changing :)) and the Sammie P9 (still can't gte past that name...)

Sharp have taken a considerable financial interest in Pioneer. They will still be around in one form or another (ie: LCD or Plasma).

Their car audio business is profitable and it is a matter of restructuring and re-prioritising for them.

A question for 508XDA owners, has the majority left the panel speaker on the bottom of the TV when wall mounted or placed the speaker elsewhere ?

Thx

Sharp have taken a considerable financial interest in Pioneer. They will still be around in one form or another (ie: LCD or Plasma).

Their car audio business is profitable and it is a matter of restructuring and re-prioritising for them.

A question for 508XDA owners, has the majority left the panel speaker on the bottom of the TV when wall mounted or placed the speaker elsewhere ?

Thx

Left it under the TV. It looks and sounds awesome.

Left it under the TV. It looks and sounds awesome.

Having panels wall mounted, how have people concealed the cables?

I don't have a wall cavity available and thus cannot run the cables inside the wall.

Was toying with the idea of conduit, but the Missus didn't like that.

I appreciate all ideas :)

Having panels wall mounted, how have people concealed the cables?

I don't have a wall cavity available and thus cannot run the cables inside the wall.

Was toying with the idea of conduit, but the Missus didn't like that.

I appreciate all ideas :)

You can possibly mount a decorative board (painted pdf). Have the board mounted off the wall maybe 1cm.