New Pioneer 8th Gen Plasmas 508 Etc

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told dealers were at marketing launch for the Pioneer 508 in Sydney last week so the release should be imminent. I'm trying to find out when and pricing through a contact I've made.

As far as I know we were not informed of any marketing launch.

Must see what can be found out tomorrow about stock into the country etc.

Okay spoke to someone today who told me October for the new panels, pricing to remain the same as the 507 and also we will be getting the 50" & 60" Full HD Panels 1920x1080 !!! Start saving folks.

So the RRP will be $4999?

So the RRP will be $4999?

Will be interesting to see price for all models.

Not real concerned with 1080p in the 50" screen size I am after, so this will be an awesome buy!!!

Reviews just keep getting better from around the world, this really does sound like an awesome screen.

Surely you jest!

Absolutely not, I will never buy a 60” display for my 2.8-3.0 meter viewing display, it’s just too small. I owned a 57” for 2 years and it was definitely not big enough, especially for 2.35:1 wide screen movies. 70” is ok, but if bigger was available I would go for it.

The new 1080 Pioneer sounds promising, but if 60” is all that Pioneer can offer, not interested.

Guest Mattrus1503559750
Don’t care about the price, but 60” is just not going to cut it.

Come on Pioneer, get serious.

I know the 70" SXRD is awesome but saying a 60" 1080P Pioneer "plasma" screen is "not going to cut it" is retarded, especially with the reviews regarding black levels and contrast. I guess no one will know until they are available here but if your comment is based on screen real estate alone, come on. Not everyone wants a 70" screen.

Not everyone want’s to limit themselves to a 60” screen either. Unless you have lived with a 70” it’s best not to make hasty judgments.

I was interested in the Panasonic 65”, but 60” was not an option under any circumstances.

Like I said, I lived with a 57” for 2 years, not big enough.

After a 70”, 60” is pathetic and black levels 80% lower then Pioneers current 1080 offering is nothing special, I have that already.

Look, I don’t mean to denigrate the new Pioneer’s, but 60” is a real restriction for some people.

Guest Mattrus1503559750
1'st law of HDTV: Whatever size screen you get, the next one must be BIGGER. :)

Heh, I am just about to go from 68CM --> 127CM so that should keep me happy for am while :)

Matt

Heh, I am just about to go from 68CM --> 127CM so that should keep me happy for am while :)

Matt

Ditto. I had a 68cm 4:3 non-flat CRT for years. I just upgraded this week to a 50" Panasonic plasma. Already I'm thinking, is it too small? I'm so glad I didn't get a 42". Friends come over and say it's HUGE but meh, I now want a 60" or 70". Don't get me wrong, I'm really really happy with what I've got but the next purchase in a few years will definitely be bigger.

That was a little off topic...back to the topic - the new Pioneers do look promising.

Okay spoke to someone today who told me October for the new panels, pricing to remain the same as the 507 and also we will be getting the 50" & 60" Full HD Panels 1920x1080 !!! Start saving folks.

October!?! Damn you Pioneer! My old TV is dying and I don't think it will hold out that long. Why do we have to live in such a technological backwater :( By the time the good stuff drifts down to us it is already superceded.

October!?! Damn you Pioneer! My old TV is dying and I don't think it will hold out that long. Why do we have to live in such a technological backwater :( By the time the good stuff drifts down to us it is already superceded.

Rent mate till October :P

cheers laurie

Rent mate till October :P

cheers laurie

That's not a bad idea Laurie. My CRT has started making an ear piercing squeal while it warms up. It used to last 5 minutes but it is now up to 45 minutes before it goes away. I suspect that anyday it will die on me. I was waiting for the new Panasonic but I am less than impressed with them, not to mention the possibility of purple snakes. The new Pioneer sounds like its the business.

That's not a bad idea Laurie. My CRT has started making an ear piercing squeal while it warms up. It used to last 5 minutes but it is now up to 45 minutes before it goes away. I suspect that anyday it will die on me. I was waiting for the new Panasonic but I am less than impressed with them, not to mention the possibility of purple snakes. The new Pioneer sounds like its the business.

Have you had a quote to get your CRT fixed? My old CRT looked dead a year ago (screen wobbled and went out completely-did not look good) about $200 got it fixed and it is still running while I look for a likely successor. Considering how much prices have dropped in these last twelve months (about $2000 on a 50" Pioneer plasma) it was $200 well spent.Just a thought.

Have you had a quote to get your CRT fixed? My old CRT looked dead a year ago (screen wobbled and went out completely-did not look good) about $200 got it fixed and it is still running while I look for a likely successor. Considering how much prices have dropped in these last twelve months (about $2000 on a 50" Pioneer plasma) it was $200 well spent.Just a thought.

If you saw the CRT I am talking about you would understand why I wouldn't spend $50 on it, let alone $200. It's so old it even has peeling off fake vinyl woodgrain on the sides. It is actually quite comical having an expensive home theatre setup with Denon amp, and upscaling DVD play and large 5.1 speakers with this piece of crud in the middle. I held of buying a plasma before because I was moving to a bigger house, but its now time to complete the project. I am looking forward to dropping the old TV from a great height. :P Unlike many people I have no nostalgia for CRT.

If you saw the CRT I am talking about you would understand why I wouldn't spend $50 on it, let alone $200. It's so old it even has peeling off fake vinyl woodgrain on the sides. It is actually quite comical having an expensive home theatre setup with Denon amp, and upscaling DVD play and large 5.1 speakers with this piece of crud in the middle. I held of buying a plasma before because I was moving to a bigger house, but its now time to complete the project. I am looking forward to dropping the old TV from a great height. :P Unlike many people I have no nostalgia for CRT.

I love the old woodgrain CRTs that have been transformed into fishtanks.

With renting, plasmas seem very expensive. Beyond my budget to even rent for a few months. Just saying.

In other news there's new information up about the Kuro displays at Pioneer Electronics. This must be for the US market though, because the panel I'm specifically interested in (the 508XD) is actually under the title of Elite Kuro PRO-1150HD. I wonder what we'll get when they come to Australia. I know in the UK they've opted to name said panel 508XD. Oh and check this out.

Here is where I sourced the naming information from. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken.