Sign in to follow this  
rfa

Ps3 1.9 Firmware

Japan gets:

The 1.90 Firmware update just hit Japanese PS3s. Let's dive in and see what the update entails:

• Ability to rearrange games on the XMB

• Option menu now includes "eject disk"

• Press triangle to eject games/CDs/movies in the XMB

• XMB backgrounds

• Change the folder classification

• Emoticons

• Change CD output to 44.1/88.2/176.4kHz

• Force 24Hz output for Blu-ray over HDMI

• Change PS3 video settings in-game

• "Bit Mapping" in the "Music Setting"

• Save AVCHD type animations from a Memory Stick

• Change settings like upscaling while playing PS and PS2 games

• Add bookmarks

• Web browser security function in the browser's tool section

• Avatar moves during audio visual chat

The customized backgrounds and the emoticons are nice touches. Not a bad update, not a bad update at all. Hit the jump for a look at the emoticons.

Source: kotaku ( http://kotaku.com/gaming/making-things-bet...apan-281191.php )

Japan gets:

The 1.90 Firmware update just hit Japanese PS3s. Let's dive in and see what the update entails:

• Ability to rearrange games on the XMB

• Option menu now includes "eject disk"

• Press triangle to eject games/CDs/movies in the XMB

• XMB backgrounds

• Change the folder classification

• Emoticons

• Change CD output to 44.1/88.2/176.4kHz

• Change PS3 video settings in-game

• "Bit Mapping" in the "Music Setting"

• Save AVCHD type animations from a Memory Stick

• Change settings like upscaling while playing PS and PS2 games

• Add bookmarks

• Web browser security function in the browser's tool section

• Avatar moves during audio visual chat

The customized backgrounds and the emoticons are nice touches. Not a bad update, not a bad update at all. Hit the jump for a look at the emoticons.

Source: kotaku ( http://kotaku.com/gaming/making-things-bet...apan-281191.php )

AndrewW is going to be rapt with the Force 24h output for Bluray over HDMI thats for sure...

AndrewW is going to be rapt with the Force 24h output for Bluray over HDMI thats for sure...

Unless I'm mistaken, forced 24fps output was a feature of our previous (1.83??) firmware. This I found out when I plugged my new VP50 into the PS3. After the HDMI handshake, PS3 forced itself to output 24fps which the VP50 doesn't like as the resulting picture after 60Hz framerate conversion is awful. There is an option in PS3 settings to turn off the automatic 24fps output and once this was done the PS3 went to 1080i/60 and the picture was much better.

Hale - freaking - luia.

About time :D

Unless I'm mistaken, forced 24fps output was a feature of our previous (1.83??) firmware. This I found out when I plugged my new VP50 into the PS3. After the HDMI handshake, PS3 forced itself to output 24fps which the VP50 doesn't like as the resulting picture after 60Hz framerate conversion is awful. There is an option in PS3 settings to turn off the automatic 24fps output and once this was done the PS3 went to 1080i/60 and the picture was much better.

Nope, the problem is passing 1080p24 through an avr.

There are lots of avrs/amps that incorrectly tell the PS3 that the display is not 1080p24 capable, even though it is. My 2700B is one of them :(

The force on option is a godsend, being restricted to automatic or off was ridiculous.

well done sony, another worthwhile FW update

can you believe I just turned the projector off so now I can't try this out :(

Sorry Chesty, missed your post.

Yes AndrewW is rapt :D

as far as this poster's $ are concerned the PS3 isn't released UNTIL rumble comes in the box with GT (n) [?Prologue?].

anything without rumble is a beta.

/rant

The problem that caused by PS3 with version 1.83 does not have forced 24fps option, PS3 in some cases will alternate between 60fps and 24 fps and that is why on some disc you will see the disc menu but it causes problem when playing the feature movie when VP50 is sitting between PS3 and the projector. The forced 24 fps by PS3 may resolve the problem that VP50 has but I think DVDO's VP50 will soon have a new firmware update so it can pass 24fps output already 24 fps passthru is featured in the VP30 new beta version 1.14 firmware update. If this PS3 firmware does not resolve future firmware with VP50 will resolve this problem.

Some nice customisation tweaks in there. Nice work (finally) Sony. I especially love the eject disc option - no more grubby finger marks!

I think overall this is a good update.

Get the damn thing to decode HD audio codecs and we will be set...or at least output them bitstream for the AVR.

This is good news for all of us passing the PS through receivers.

"Sony has told Eurogamer this lunch time that PS3 firmware version 1.90 will be released across Europe tomorrow.

It will add numerous bits and pieces, the most obvious being customisable backgrounds and emoticons - perfect for all you chatterboxes.

Under the hood there's tweaks to CD output, Blu-ray HDMI output, more settings for backwards compatibility upscaling, and the nifty ability to remotely eject a disc. Although you still have to walk over and put it back in its case. Or a different case if you're one of those types.

An official list of changes is expected to arrive tomorrow, but Kotaku's rough translation of the Japanese list goes as follows:

* Ability to rearrange games on the XMB

* "Eject Disk" added to the Options menu

* Pressing triangle in the XMB now ejects disks

* XMB backgrounds added

* Folder classification changed

* Emoticons added

* Option to change CD output to 44.1/88.2/176.4kHz added

* Forced 24Hz output for Blu-ray over HDMI added

* Option to change PS3 video settings in-game added

* "Bit Mapping" added to the "Music Setting" options

* AVCHD-type animations can now be saved from a Memory Stick

* Upscaling settings can be changed while playing PSOne and PS2 games

* Bookmarks added

* Web browser security function added to the browser's tool section

* Avatars now move during audio visual chat"

PS3 1.9 Firmware

Glad I posted it here, then as I've never used my PS3 as a games console and never will.

Glad I posted it here, then as I've never used my PS3 as a games console and never will.

Me neither but I didn't see it as all that onerous a task to look through the console section every now and again to stay up to date.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Ok the 24fps forcing is worthwhile (for a section of the user base) and providing an eject option is something that should have been in v0.01. Still no worthwhile Divx or xvid support..........(cue Con the Fruiterer). If it wasn't for the 24fps option you'd have to call this upgrade a wank. In fact, it is a wank!!!!

Still no worthwhile Divx of xvid support..........(cue Con the Fruiterer)

While I'd LOVE to see this happen, I can't see Sony ever supporting a format that the majority of pirated material is encoded in.

Without hijacking this thread, has anyone got a link to a reliable thread that describes how to convert video files to the PS3 format? Preferably on a Mac. I've got a copy off ffmpegX but have yet to find settings that are the best combo of speed + quality. i.e I don't wanna spend 4 hours encoding a 44 min episode of Lost! Would love to know how ppl in here are encoding their videos.

While I'd LOVE to see this happen, I can't see Sony ever supporting a format that the majority of pirated material is encoded in.

Agreed, and it is the same reason we will probably never see it on the 360 either.

Without hijacking this thread, has anyone got a link to a reliable thread that describes how to convert video files to the PS3 format? Preferably on a Mac. I've got a copy off ffmpegX but have yet to find settings that are the best combo of speed + quality. i.e I don't wanna spend 4 hours encoding a 44 min episode of Lost! Would love to know how ppl in here are encoding their videos.

I did see a thread somewhere on here about using a Mac - try a search for mac and ps3 - if I can find it I'll post a link. I've tried using PS3 Video 9 (too slow and audio sync issues) and streaming using Nero Media Home (unreliable). I'm now going to investigate installing linux on my ps3 and then stream using an app that runs under it.

I agree Sony might never support divx or xvid - but I think (hope) at some stage someone will develop some software to do it without having to install linux.

I did see a thread somewhere on here about using a Mac - try a search for mac and ps3 - if I can find it I'll post a link. I've tried using PS3 Video 9 (too slow and audio sync issues) and streaming using Nero Media Home (unreliable). I'm now going to investigate installing linux on my ps3 and then stream using an app that runs under it.

I agree Sony might never support divx or xvid - but I think (hope) at some stage someone will develop some software to do it without having to install linux.

Sony do support divx on their DVD players. What is so different here! Isn't it supposed to be a media centre?

* Forced 24Hz output for Blu-ray over HDMI added

And who said those who buy/bought a PS3 didn't buy it to watch movies???????? :blink::wacko:

This must be great news for those gamers, er, uh, I meant movie buffs.

Three useless posts chastizing me for daring to post in the BD forum.

Some one needs to learn to read or count or maybe both :huh:

but you dredged the same info from Eurogamer.net.

HA HA HA HA HA :lol: :lol: :lol: