New Cambridge Audio Gear

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hi Chui,

Yep noticed them too and ditto re loss of interest in the 840E/840W. I've hooked my old NAD 3020 into the HT and happy with that at present, and great to have a pure 2 channel chain running again. May move on to a newer pre- later this year, eg. NAD C162 or Bel Canto Pre3. I went to W.A.R. Audio for a quick look at the Bel Canto gear but didn't demo.

Ed

I'm using the Bel Canto Pre3, setup includes Whatmough P32s, Benchmark DAC1, Slim Devices Squeezebox 3, Elektra Reference power amp, Rotel RSP-1068. Using balanced connections, also use the HT Bypass feature too. I've owned it for 2 to 3 months now, The Bel Canto Pre3 cost a little bit under $2000. Been pretty happy with it. The remote that is supplied with it is a bit basic and is missing a few key features, mostly discrete codes, ie. discrete inputs, display on/off, descrete on/off only toggle on/off. This was resolved by downloading the required missing codes on the original remote into my Phillips Pronto remote. You can also copy the missing codes from the Bel Canto CD remote which is actually a universal one which has the missing PRe3 discrete codes built into it.

I purchased my Bel Canto Pre3 new from a Sydney HiFi dealer but also discussed with WAR audio (the Aust. Distributor) prior to commiting to the purchase.

JDH.

Hi Chui,

Yep noticed them too and ditto re loss of interest in the 840E/840W. I've hooked my old NAD 3020 into the HT and happy with that at present, and great to have a pure 2 channel chain running again. May move on to a newer pre- later this year, eg. NAD C162 or Bel Canto Pre3. I went to W.A.R. Audio for a quick look at the Bel Canto gear but didn't demo.

Ed

Edited by JDH

Just out of curiosity guys why the sudden loss of interest?

Well i don't know about anyone else, but i can deffinately see one of these in my future. Teamed up with my CA CDP and Elektra... :wub:

I'm looking at the Marantz AV pre/pro later this year, and want to check its 2Ch performance first in the hope I can get away with no 2Ch pre for a while.

I'll look at the multi-zone aspect of the Marantz as well.

If these two facets are up-to-scratch, then there may not be a real need for the CA.

If the Marantz is rubbish, well then it's back here again I guess :D

While there is some amazing AV pre/power combos out there, I'd rather take a dedicated stereo combo over HT anyday when the choice is there. As I keep my theatre and stereo systems separate, I guess Im lucky that way and hence my reasoning.

More of a gradual loss (or reduction) in interest as the 840E was taking so long to come to the market i started to seriously look at alternatives ... currently keen on a compact solution like the Bel Canto Pre3, or a valve-based pre amp ... or if spending less a NAD C162. However budget/funds temporarily directed elsewhere. When the time comes the 840E will get a listen as i've been/am happy with the CA CDP.

• 1 month later...

if anyone is still interested in this, wickeddigital.com.au have the 840E for $199.00 (RRP $2000) when you but the 840W at full RRP ($3000). not a bad discount.

one only though...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...