Philips 32ta2800

Have been looking at the Philips 32"/81cm 32TA2800 for a bedroom/xbox360 set, $998 at BigW from thursday.

Contrast 1000:1 (not dynamic)

Response: 8ms

Resolution: 1366x768

Resolution support:

480i 60Hz

480p 60Hz

576i 50Hz

576p 50Hz

720p 60Hz

1080i 50, 60Hz

1080p 50Hz, 60Hz

Connections:

•AV 1: Audio L/R in, YPbPr

•AV 2: Audio L/R in, YPbPr

•AV 3: Audio L/R in, CVBS in, S-Video in

•Front / Side connections: Audio L/R in, CVBS in, Headphone out, S-video in

•Other connections: DVI, PC Audio in, PC-In VGA

The website does not state if this tv supports 720p50Hz. It also states that it has HDMI input but the box for the TV says it has DVI. I havent had a chance to see the TV in the flesh yet (only the box on a pallet), but was wondering if anyone else has seen it running/own one yet? Any opinions appreciated.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the new BigW catalogue today, it states that this tv has a Contrast of 800:1 not 1000:1. Could be a mistake, but I am wondering if the ones bigw have are an older model? That would explain why it has DVI instead of HDMI. The model number is the same though. :huh:

OK got to set one up and play today. Got to do a side by side comparison with the AIKO 81cm which is the same price, though only on analogue.

The Blacks on the the Philips seem slightly darker then the AIKO and the whites slightly brighter, even though the contrast is supposed to be lower on the philips. The colour also seemed richer then the AIKO, however peoples faces tended to look slightly pink, lowering the colour made the faces slightly pale. One thing I noticed was on the AIKO I could see freckles on a persons face, but couldnt see them on the Philips - it was like they were wearing foundation on the Philips.

I connected a HDSTB (Philips 7200 I think?) using component, set it to 1080i mode and changed to channel 90 to see what that looked like. The picture was of course much better, but the faces still seemed to lack detail, appearing slightly smeary.

So I have decided this TV is not for me, but I do suggest checking it out for yourself before making up your own mind.

Guest operator

i went in to big w QV in melbourne city to check out philips and lo & behold all 6 they had there were DVI only.

the 42" model was hdmi, but the 32" was definitely only DVI [with hdcp support according to the manual they had at the desk]

of course they only had a dvd player connected to it with composite cables, but i was quite impressed with the scaling & colour. put one on layby as if i cancel it will only cost me the $2.00 layby fee.

EDIT: this particular model does not have any video or audio output.

Edited by operator

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I have just joined this forum after a long time viewing everyone's opinion. Hopefully I can revive this thread.

Now I am after a decent quality LCD tv and as a student I have set myself a budget of $2000. Now I understand everyone's opinion on investing some more money to get a better quality tv, but I am getting married soon, so we are saving up for that as well. I am very interested in the 42", I have seen it at Big W, it was playing Flushed Away alongside the 32" Phillips. It actually upscaled the DVD better than the 32" I thought, and I didn't even give it a thought, because I was prepared to just stick with $998 32" Phillips. However, my fiance seems to be more of a man than me and was attracted to the bigger screen.

My main use for it will be my 360, which I also use to stream videos to it. I have ruled out Plasmas, because of the heat and power issue, because I want to keep my running costs low.

So I would like to know if anyone has seen a review for this, or has some real expert criticism on it. Once again $2000 is my budget, perhaps a bit more if its got an inbuilt tuner.

Guest operator
Hey guys, I have just joined this forum after a long time viewing everyone's opinion. Hopefully I can revive this thread.

Now I am after a decent quality LCD tv and as a student I have set myself a budget of $2000. Now I understand everyone's opinion on investing some more money to get a better quality tv, but I am getting married soon, so we are saving up for that as well. I am very interested in the 42", I have seen it at Big W, it was playing Flushed Away alongside the 32" Phillips. It actually upscaled the DVD better than the 32" I thought, and I didn't even give it a thought, because I was prepared to just stick with $998 32" Phillips. However, my fiance seems to be more of a man than me and was attracted to the bigger screen.

My main use for it will be my 360, which I also use to stream videos to it. I have ruled out Plasmas, because of the heat and power issue, because I want to keep my running costs low.

So I would like to know if anyone has seen a review for this, or has some real expert criticism on it. Once again $2000 is my budget, perhaps a bit more if its got an inbuilt tuner.

if you are prepared to spend around the $2k mark, then you would be better off with a sony klv40v300. its got more inputs, newer panel with a higher contrast ratio and it supports 1:1 over vga - perfect for your xbox 360.

you can pick it up from dick smith with an hd stb at the moment for 1999.00.

http://www.sony.com.au/homecinema/homecine...;term=klv40v300

Edited by operator

if you are prepared to spend around the $2k mark, then you would be better off with a sony klv40v300. its got more inputs, newer panel with a higher contrast ratio and it supports 1:1 over vga - perfect for your xbox 360.

you can pick it up from dick smith with an hd stb at the moment for 1999.00.

http://www.sony.com.au/homecinema/homecine...;term=klv40v300

Thanks for the quick response, I will have a look at them now.

Well I checked Dick Smith Powerhouse, and it is a clearance product so its unlikely that it would be there even next week, its a shame cause its on the other side of town. I will have to keep my fingers crossed.

Edited by Ashley NR

I bought the 32" model 2 weeks ago, and it's OK for the price, but I was disappointed with the black level and motion blurring. Both are quite bad. They look OK in the shop, but when you get them home in a darkish room, they look pretty average.

However, if you have $2000 to spend, I would DEFINATELY go with a plasma. They really don't cost much more to run, and the picture is so much better than an LCD.

I bought the 32" model 2 weeks ago, and it's OK for the price, but I was disappointed with the black level and motion blurring. Both are quite bad. They look OK in the shop, but when you get them home in a darkish room, they look pretty average.

However, if you have $2000 to spend, I would DEFINATELY go with a plasma. They really don't cost much more to run, and the picture is so much better than an LCD.

not true anything over 1.5 meter distance. a decent plasma vs decent lcd i couldnt tell difference between Pioneer 40" and sony 40" LCD. both display same material in HD. but withing 1 meters u can kinder see LCD jiggle pixels alot more, like tiny invisible worms moving.

• 2 years later...
Guest emaydubya

Sorry to necro post but I got one of these 21 months ago. Philips 32TA2800

It continually switches itself off now. I took the back off, placed a fan at the back and it still switches off.

It was $999 at the time, that relates to $10 a week to have it, now it's a door-stop. Or piece of rubbish. Lucky I have an 18" CRT which works!

Just a warning to anyone researching. DON'T GET THIS MODEL! You have been warned!

Sorry to necro post but I got one of these 21 months ago. Philips 32TA2800

It continually switches itself off now. I took the back off, placed a fan at the back and it still switches off.

It was $999 at the time, that relates to $10 a week to have it, now it's a door-stop. Or piece of rubbish. Lucky I have an 18" CRT which works!

Just a warning to anyone researching. DON'T GET THIS MODEL! You have been warned!

Good news as Philips have a 3 year warranty and excellent after sales support. Just call them and they will fix it on site

Guest emaydubya
Have you thought of trying to get yours fixed or maybe get something a lot newer and better?

Yes, Of course, but as you may know, these things are expensive.