Post Your 2-channel System

Hi Guys,

This new forum needs some love, so what better way than posting some pics/specs/goals/ideas for your 2-Channel systems.

I'm on the verge of buying the Cambridge Audio 640A(V2) with the 640C(V2) and some Monitor Audio RS1's, but I've found a store that is about to open up the road from me that is going to be selling some of the Marantz gear that I've not had a chance to listen to, so hopefully by the end of August I'll have a nice 2-Channel set-up to post.

So lets see your systems :D

Hi Guys,

This new forum needs some love, so what better way than posting some pics/specs/goals/ideas for your 2-Channel systems.

I'm on the verge of buying the Cambridge Audio 640A(V2) with the 640C(V2) and some Monitor Audio RS1's, but I've found a store that is about to open up the road from me that is going to be selling some of the Marantz gear that I've not had a chance to listen to, so hopefully by the end of August I'll have a nice 2-Channel set-up to post.

So lets see your systems :D

Hi Phealey21,

Nice to see you gave the RS1's an audition, and im guessing you liked them!! Your setup is looking the same as my retreat room system, but i ended up going the Rotel amp over the CA. My RS1's are still on their way, i wanted them in 'rosenut' which were not in stock from my local dealer so a few weeks til i get them :(.

Out of curiosity which Stands did you decide to match with the RS1's? Im going the Apollo Olympus 60cm in silver.

Cant wait to see some pics of peoples 2 channel setups!

Mo_Jo

• Like 1

Hi Phealey21,

Nice to see you gave the RS1's an audition, and im guessing you liked them!! Your setup is looking the same as my retreat room system, but i ended up going the Rotel amp over the CA. My RS1's are still on their way, i wanted them in 'rosenut' which were not in stock from my local dealer so a few weeks til i get them :(.

Out of curiosity which Stands did you decide to match with the RS1's? Im going the Apollo Olympus 60cm in silver.

Cant wait to see some pics of peoples 2 channel setups!

Mo_Jo

I had this funny feeling there was a thread I'd lost.... :blush:

Yeah the RS1's were really nice, the other speakers I'm keen to listen to are the Dali Ikon's with the Marantz gear and as for stands, with the set-up I'll have they'll literally be in my bookshelves :D

• Like 1

My 2ch system as per my sig...

Music : Rega p25 Turn Table with Ortofon mc10 supreme stylus, Sony SCD-XA9000ES sacd player, Sony ST-SDB900 AM/FM/DAB tuner, Musical Fidelity A5CD player, Musical Fidelity A5cr 2ch Pre & Pwr amplifiers, Focal Utopia Diva's main speakers.

I have a combined dedicated 2ch-HT system as you'll see..

some pics..

System

2ch sources

and a close up of the lovely Diva's ! :wub:

I had this funny feeling there was a thread I'd lost.... :blush:

He He i kinda forgot about it too!

Yeah the RS1's were really nice, the other speakers I'm keen to listen to are the Dali Ikon's with the Marantz gear and as for stands, with the set-up I'll have they'll literally be in my bookshelves :D

Certainly worth checking out, some of the Marantz gear around at the moment is quite nice.

My Setup + Future setup:

Rotel RA-04 Intergrated stereo amp

Cambridge Audio Azur 640Cv2 or 540Cv2 (still deciding if the 640 upgrade is worth the extra $$'s) - Should have decided by August... (2007 :P)

Monitor Audio RS1 Speakers - Should be arriving in two weeks :D

Apollo Olympus Stands - Currently speaker-less :(

Alessandro MS1 (by Grado Labs) headphones.

Ipod Nano 8gb

Future plans will be:

HiFi Rack, Tuner, 5 disc cd player to allow random playback when just hanging around the house... and im sure ill find more things to buy! :ph34r:

Mo_Jo

Cambridge Audio 540A Amp

Cambridge Audio 540C CD

So how have you found this set-up?

I have a combined dedicated 2ch-HT system as you'll see..

I love that cabinet with the 2-channel gear, very nice.

Apollo Olympus Stands - Currently speaker-less :(

Haha that's a little depressing ;) Did you get much discount on the RS1's? I can only find the one dealer in Perth :(

Haha that's a little depressing ;) Did you get much discount on the RS1's? I can only find the one dealer in Perth :(

Yeah its sad seeing them sitting there with nothing on top of them :(.

As far as deals were concerned i got the speakers and stands for $950. The speakers are RRP$950 and the Stands are RRP$219. So total RRP would have been $1169.00 Which i picked up for $950, I couldnt complain about that concidering the very good service i got and the many visits to the store for auditions before purchase.

Marantz CD5001

Marantz PM4001

Monitor Audio Bronze BR2

B-Tech 606 Stands

Still to come

Project Debut lll turntable (on a budget, so what I can afford)

Grado headphones (as above)

When I was single, I didn't have a TV, but had a decent 2.0 setup, so I just listened to music non stop at home. Then the missus came along, as did HT, and the band stopped playing.

Now that I can afford to buy these new toys, I'm back to listening to tunes again. Even buying CD's. ;)

~

I love that cabinet with the 2-channel gear, very nice.

~

thanks phealey, its jsut a ikea cabinet. need to put things with dials behind glass doors to keep away from little fingers ! :)

Its quite a solid cabinet for anyone looking for anythign like it. Although not apparent I re-enforced it so the shelves are suspended with all thread and locking nuts as in a flexy rack. The all threads rods I covered over with black plastic airline so not easily seen and cant scratch the components.

Was:

Paradigm Studio 20's v.3 on a pair of GECKO stands

Nad C525BEE CDP

Yamaha AX 497 integrated stereo amp

Kordz interconnect and some gecko speaker wire

I was certainly happy with my first attempt at a decent 2ch rig and had NO intentions of upgrading what so ever. It was/is great value and certainly isn't anything to complain about....ie until you foolishly spot goods for sale then go and look at it. See below :wub:

Now:...as of a couple of nights ago;

Redgum RGSB Manna bookshelf Speakers on heavy duty custom steel stands

Arcam CD73 CDP

Redgum RGi60 integrated stereo amp

Kordz interconnect and some gecko speaker wire

The improvements are obvious and despite a few minor issues, it was a path that I was happy to venture down. This one is going to be a keeper. Certainly a lot longer than the 6 months or so that I had the previous rig :rolleyes:

So how have you found this set-up?

Very good, but like everything, theres always better. Hence the step back in time to valve.

I hear what your saying Re: Monitor Audio. The store likes their exclusivity! Ask them can you listen to some Aaron speakers and see what they say (yes they are Aaron dealers!) ;)

Was:

Nad C525BEE CDP

Now:...as of a couple of nights ago;

Arcam CD73 CDP

Hi Nolz,

What are your impressions of the arcam, these are a very nice player in terms of writeups but I've not heard one yet.

As far as deals were concerned i got the speakers and stands for $950.

I'd be happy with that sort of deal, I'll have to twist some arms I think!

Very good, but like everything, theres always better. Hence the step back in time to valve.

I hear what your saying Re: Monitor Audio. The store likes their exclusivity! Ask them can you listen to some Aaron speakers and see what they say (yes they are Aaron dealers!) ;)

Yeah that's what I thought, but they seem to be exclusively Monitor Audio at the moment, might ask some more questions :blink:

Guest JohnA

some great setups here guys with a good mix of different equipment

mine is a complet re-do as most already know

my 2 channel setup had consisted of

B&W 703

Elektra reference and elektra theatre bi-amping the speakers

Elelktra pre amp

Consonance droplet cd player

Now

SGR octagon active speakers

pre amp on its way (will be revealed once i get it)

cd player remains but once my new pre-amp arrives i will be looking for a replacement

I'd be happy with that sort of deal, I'll have to twist some arms I think!

You should be able to get similar quite easily, although only having one retailer might make it a bit difficult. I was lucky and found a great HiFi store where i managed to build a bit of a relationship with the owner over the last few months of auditioning. It was He himself who offered me that deal so i didnt even have to ask the sometimes uncofortable "so... whats the best price" line.

There is certainly some very nice gear in all levels around here! This sub forum is a sensational idea! well done to those who got the wheels in motion!

My 2ch system is currently in my sig, but seeing as it changes a bit, here it is recrded for posterity

2ch: Sennheiser HD650 cans, Esoteric P500 transport, Benchmark Dac1, Krell PAM1 preamp, 4ch of the Elektra 7 biamping B&W802D (for sale), IB infloor sub with 2x18" Avalanche drivers powered by 1 x 500watt class A/B SGR501 sub amp

Just to be friendly and you undrstand that I think my 2 CH is more low-fi than Hifi!

Luxman A-321 Integrated Amp

Luxman D321 CD player

Luxman T341L Digital Synthesized Tuner

Polk S10 Speakers.

My turntable recently committed suicide by self immolation, I was looking but have been sidetracked. So may pick up a Project Debut until I can find a nice old LP12 or Thorens TD.

Who is that sniggering in the back? Show your self!

Guest JohnA

cyberplank, good on you for posting

another turnatable man i see.

I have been contemplating a turntable, but just haven't bothered with one as yet.

Maybe i should satrt stocking up on records, then i have no more excuses as to why i shouldn't get one :)

Just to be friendly and you undrstand that I think my 2 CH is more low-fi than Hifi!

Luxman D321 CD player

Polk S10 Speakers.

My turntable recently committed suicide by self immolation, I was looking but have been sidetracked. So may pick up a Project Debut until I can find a nice old LP12 or Thorens TD.

Sounds like a nicely balanced setup there cyberplank nothing to be sniggering about.

Luxman D321 CD player

Polk S10 Speakers.

hey nothign wrong with the luxman gear. they made some sensational stuff. I remeber drooling over a really nice integrated, cd player and phone stage they made a while back...all stuff I couldnt afford !

what was your TT cyber ? project do make some nice stuf though I'd vote the lp12 or the TD thorens over a debut. either way keep an eye out on ebay all three of them do show up now and then :)

The 2 CH part of the 7.1 system is -

Esoteric UX-1 Universal player (purchased used a few weeks ago) -> Highly modified (by Steve Nugent, Empirical Audio USA) Benchmark DAC 1 -> McIntosh C200 preamp -> Halcro DM68 amps -> Full range (24 hz to 20K) Majestic Sound Labs electrotats.

Cables from the front end gear at the back of the room to the amps behind the speakers are Furutech. Other interconnects are Kimber, Siltec & locally made ones from Home Theatre at http://www.htcustomcables.com/hdmi_dvi_cab...CFRK1YgodJGpr5g

All audio & video front end gear is powered by a PP600 re generator.

Now this is a combined Home Theatre/Audio set up so, to complete the picture, here is the rest of the audio setup:

Meridian 861 processor

Centre channel -> Plinius SA250 III (also fed by Furutech cable) -> another shorter pair of Majestic Sound Labs speakers

Side frontish channels -> Plinius SA50/100 -> pair of custom made VASS electrostats high up on the wall

Rear channels -> Plinius 8200P amp -> custom made Moss electrostic speakers

Sub -> 2 custom made mosfet amps -> a pait of custom made transmission line units with KEF B139 drivers, another KEF B139 in a vented enclosure + a 4th vented enclosure sub unit with an Alpine driver.

There is a remotely controlled (via garage remote) A/B switch which can divert 2 CH to the amps to come from either the McIntosh preamp (for unprocessed 2CH) OR from the Meridian 861 (mostly used for TV and some multichannel - not SACD, the 2CH output from that is fed direct to the preamp). So this allows a choice with PCM, it can be fed through the Meridian -> amps OR to the Benchmark DAC -> preamp -> amps. Obviously there is better processing bthrough the Benchmark so is the route used for anything with important music material, and that includes some laserdiscs and DVDs.

Madness I know, but there it is, the result of over 60 years of listening to records (started off as a sub teen listening to cylinders on an Edison phonograph in the attic - still have the Edison but the cylinders all crumbled).

On good recordings, and there are more of them around than I previously thought, it sounds awesome, top to bottom with a lot of that due to the superb modding job done on the Benchmark DAC 1 by Nugent. http://www.empiricalaudio.com/

If you want to hear CDs at their best, then this is the way to go. I understand Steve also now sells the Benchmark so you can email him for more detail.

To finish I should declare my interest is in classical genre of all sorts including opera, chamber etc etc. Some limited interest in jazz but not in rock, heavy metal etc. I moderate on the Audio Asylum Music Board (covers all forms of music, not just classical) at http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/music/bbs.html.

If any of you ever travel South to Tasmania, we live just out of Launceston in the Tamar Valley and would love to meet up with any fellow audio nutters. Just drop me a line. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

John

• Like 1

Hi Nolz,

What are your impressions of the arcam, these are a very nice player in terms of writeups but I've not heard one yet.

Hey there RodN, It's hard for me to describe in depth how it sounds as I dont have much to compare it to, from the yamaha to the NAD was an enormous difference but from the NAD to the arcam teh difference was certainly noticable however not as dramatic as the yam-->NAD

I think the difference that I was left remembering the most was the players ability to separate all the sounds a lot better it gave the music I was used to a sense of airiness that I hadn't experienced, the instruments and voices seemed a lot more well defined. I think I would describe the sound as having had the warmth taken away from the NAD but replaced with a greater sense of depth and space. I apologise for not being able to properly articulate what I mean but hope that you know what I mean :blush: Definitely an upgrade each time, and worth it in terms of the difference in price between the items.