Sign in to follow this  
dockersfan

Choice Review Lcd/plasma Tvs

Anyone interested in reading the following article from Choice; LCD/Plasma Review by Choice

I can scan my full review copy for those interested.

That would be great if you could do that and then PM it to me. But whilst waiting which got the best write up?

how come they didnt test the pana, samsung or pioneers? they must surely be 3 of the most popular brands? still keen to read it though :)

Choice reviews are usually poorly researched and out of date for whatever products they review - A problem that meant I have vowed never to renew my subscription when it expired several years ago.

This 'review' looks to be the same - 5 of the models are discontinued already !!! Why you wouldn't just start at the most popular models and work down (perhaps throwing in a few budget surprises) is beyond me.

Anyway, I guess one can always live in hope that they have managed to publish something that is worth the paper it is written on.

* ACER AT4220B

* # BENQ V42P VA421

* HITACHI 42PD900DTA

* LG 42PC1DG-AA

* NEC PXT-42SV2

* REGAL Avera RL-42XHD

* SANYO PDP-42XS1

* # SONY Bravia KLV-40S200A

* # SONY BRAVIA KF-42E200A

* # TCL PDP4221A

* # TOSHIBA 42WP56A

* VIEWSONIC N4060w

# Discontinued models. May still be available in stores.

On further reading ....

The Sanyo is a 850x480 resolution panel!, as is the NEC (and I bet a few more, just couldnt be bothered to waste my time on such crap information )- I didn't realise that these were still in existance any more ?? :angry2: (that is if anyone sells them)

What did choice do?? Rehash a 3 year old article ?? Sheesh. And they expect people to pay for this crap :angry2::blink:

J.

It looks like anyone can try do a free review with images of the model for example the Q9. I know the Uk version allready has the review done. It would slightly be better off if it was done in australia :)

I believe that when i get my plasma i will sure to take as many photos and try do a review about it and post it on a site for the model.

At least i will have the chance to help athers who are interested in the model im after samsung Q91

Also was looking for the pioneer :) who knows

What use are photos?

I heard Choice gave the samsungs a bad review.

What a joke!

They are one of the best value tv's (plasma and LCD's) going around.

What a joke!

Yep samsung is number 1#

These guys get more press than they deserve...their reveiws on everything are average at best.

No offence but it seems like a bunch of mothers sitting around doing reviews on products they have no idea about.

What use are photos?

Virtually everyone is in some way affected by personal photography. Photos are of great practical and emotional value: as a record of important life events, of children’s growing up, of daily life and as an art form.

In this instance you could see what the reviewers Plasma looks like at home, in it's natural setting so to speak. You could also take pictures at different angles than the stock standard available from most manufacturers websites. Of interest might be a photograph of the positioning of the inputs or perhaps you could also show how the plasma looks at an average family home wall mounted, if the reviewer has theirs wall mounted.

They can also be of great value when trying to work out the difference of 1080i and 1080p on a display. Some one once posted instructions on how to do so. Also if not for photography then I would have not seen a 70 inch SXRD in it's home enviroment on another thread.

If you actually looked at a film you would see that it is made up of tiny photographs that are then ran through a projector and displayed upon a screen at your local cinema. A DVD is a digitalised version of these very same photographs that are then displayed so finely on an SXRD.

If one went with a 'what use are photos' arguement. You could then easily say"what use is film," and from there "what is the use of recording anything." Therefore if there is no use in recording anything then what use is there of display screens?

What a joke!

Where? I've got the issue in front of me & there is no Samsung in the review.

Arguments in support of Choice magazine in general:

They buy the gear being reviewed - no freebies or promotional samples,

They look at it from the average consumers viewpoint - not from highly researched forum members & geeks,

Technology is usually explained in a way that the average Joe Blow can understand,

They weight rankings based on many aspects of the product - e.g. not just what gives the best picture in the case of TVs

Arguments negative about Choice:

The can't review everything so there's a narrow scope in the reviews,

For me a lot of the products are unavailable - i.e. often the model they refer to can't be bought where I live,

Theres stuff there that I'm not interested in,

Stuff I am interested in is not reviewed often enough.

In summary Choice is just another source of reference & is not the Bible. Notice that each time a Choice comes out the TV networks (e.g. ACA, TDT) will use the research for their own stories. Usually things like grocery proces, misleading labeling etc.

BTW - I am a subscriber but in no way associated with the mag.

Guest EZYHD

No offence but it seems like a bunch of mothers sitting around doing reviews on products they have no idea about.

I think you'll find they have one expert on there staff! :rolleyes:

I emailed them after reading the review and asked why they did not review Panasonic,Samsung,Pioneer or Philips- making the review irrelevant.I also complained that the article did not cover Warranty or after sales service commitment.

They replied that when the panels were purchased they did not select models that were likely to be superceeded/discontinued in the following six months.

I can see the logic but it still made for a useless review,they would have done better to review what was available and give us a "snapshot" of the market as it was at the time.

Virtually everyone is in some way affected by personal photography. Photos are of great practical and emotional value: as a record of important life events, of children’s growing up, of daily life and as an art form.

In this instance you could see what the reviewers Plasma looks like at home, in it's natural setting so to speak. You could also take pictures at different angles than the stock standard available from most manufacturers websites. Of interest might be a photograph of the positioning of the inputs or perhaps you could also show how the plasma looks at an average family home wall mounted, if the reviewer has theirs wall mounted.

They can also be of great value when trying to work out the difference of 1080i and 1080p on a display. Some one once posted instructions on how to do so. Also if not for photography then I would have not seen a 70 inch SXRD in it's home enviroment on another thread.

If you actually looked at a film you would see that it is made up of tiny photographs that are then ran through a projector and displayed upon a screen at your local cinema. A DVD is a digitalised version of these very same photographs that are then displayed so finely on an SXRD.

If one went with a 'what use are photos' arguement. You could then easily say"what use is film," and from there "what is the use of recording anything." Therefore if there is no use in recording anything then what use is there of display screens?

My point was that photos are pretty much useless for evaluating picture quality.

Hi docker

Whats the name of that mag ? is that all about plasmas with current model reviews?

linda

Hi there Linda... the scanned pages are from the latest Choice magazine.

In re:latest models, not sure, I'm sure other posters will inform us if its not, but by Choice standards they tend to be current when testing. I guess these tests were conducted months ago of what was available.

I don't buy the Choice reasoning (and I am a subscriber and read the article and was disappointed they didn't look at ANY major/popular brounds like Sony, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung etc)... Surely you would review those products given that if you go into any major chain like Myer, JB, HN, Goodguys.. what do you have there? Sony, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung etc!! As a consumer you'd want an opinion on brands you might actually want to buy. Regal?? Geez, never heard of them personally....

That review got a big thumbs down from me because I felt it wasn't very relevant to any buying decisions I might be making.

My work involves a lot of research on behalf of the general public.

In my opinion Choice reviews are often found wanting. Judicious use of the internet can provide much more useful information on most subjects because the internet is the domain of the true beleivers - real enthusiasts, nerds and geeks who know more about their hobbies and passions than choice's so called experts.

I get the impression Choice is struggling. Much to the annoyance of some their subscribers they now leak many of their findings to other media who regurgitate the story and therefore provide choice with free publicity.

If I want to buy a clothes drier I might look at Choice, but for almost anything else there are forums such as this one.