New Sony V300 Is In Store Now!

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woohoo!

You'd be one happy TV owner I imagine :)

My plan is to get the KLV32V300 and a Mac mini.

Just got mine (40v300, running DVI --> HDMI tried VGA everything's incredibly good.

Knocked it down to 52hz on 1360x768 can't quite get it down to 50hz, but it looks like I don't need to.

Coming from the Acer 3201w this things shits all over it..

Brilliant colors, no tearing or flickering that I had with the acer. I'm very happy I didn't get a $3200 Samsung M81, as these TV's haven't got ANY problems I've yet found.

In fact the whole process was a bit of a let down, out of the box, hooked up to my HTPC, I was expecting HDMI errors, or stuttering, or screen quality problems, nope, none..

Oh and THIS HAS AN ANALOGUE TUNER, I don't think anyone's mentioned it, everyone seems to mention no SD/HD DIGITIAL Tuner, but it was a nice surprise.

Only disappointment is I don't get to play with the cool features of Component which look like increased colors, more processing and settings to tweak, but to be honest the PQ is so good I don't care.

Some of the HD stuff I saw on the weekend, one of Skiing looked amazing, deep blacks, bright whites, hard to believe it's on 1600:1 contrast.

Service menu codes anyone??

Just got mine (40v300, running DVI --> HDMI tried VGA everything's incredibly good.

Knocked it down to 52hz on 1360x768 can't quite get it down to 50hz, but it looks like I don't need to.

Coming from the Acer 3201w this things shits all over it..

Brilliant colors, no tearing or flickering that I had with the acer. I'm very happy I didn't get a $3200 Samsung M81, as these TV's haven't got ANY problems I've yet found.

In fact the whole process was a bit of a let down, out of the box, hooked up to my HTPC, I was expecting HDMI errors, or stuttering, or screen quality problems, nope, none..

Oh and THIS HAS AN ANALOGUE TUNER, I don't think anyone's mentioned it, everyone seems to mention no SD/HD DIGITIAL Tuner, but it was a nice surprise.

Only disappointment is I don't get to play with the cool features of Component which look like increased colors, more processing and settings to tweak, but to be honest the PQ is so good I don't care.

Some of the HD stuff I saw on the weekend, one of Skiing looked amazing, deep blacks, bright whites, hard to believe it's on 1600:1 contrast.

Service menu codes anyone??

What software/hardware combo are you using for your HTPC?

I'm not sure about the nvidia drivers on vista allowing me to do as you have done, which is one of the reasons I'm using the VGA cable and not HDMI which currently syncs at 60hz.

I'm running Vista with a nvidia 7300GT video card so it would be nice to know if I could connect at 50hz (or close enough) via HDMI.

What software/hardware combo are you using for your HTPC?

I'm not sure about the nvidia drivers on vista allowing me to do as you have done, which is one of the reasons I'm using the VGA cable and not HDMI which currently syncs at 60hz.

I'm running Vista with a nvidia 7300GT video card so it would be nice to know if I could connect at 50hz (or close enough) via HDMI.

I'm running 7300GS, Xp, latest drivers, and Powerstrip.

Anything under 52hz causes the TV to display out of range, but that's with about 10 seconds playing. I'll attack it this week and get it down to 50hz. It's got something to do with Vertical Khz and or Front/Back Porch settings....

I've tried the VGA cable and am using a DVI to HDMI cable, same thing. Not that it's a worry at all, I can't even TELL that the input should be 50hz, there's NO indication on the screen as in juddering which I has on the acer, which forced me to become VERY well aquainted with Pixel Clock speeds..

Running 60hz on the Acer was unwatchable, hence my journey into Custom timings.

I'm running 7300GS, Xp, latest drivers, and Powerstrip.

Anything under 52hz causes the TV to display out of range, but that's with about 10 seconds playing. I'll attack it this week and get it down to 50hz. It's got something to do with Vertical Khz and or Front/Back Porch settings....

I've tried the VGA cable and am using a DVI to HDMI cable, same thing. Not that it's a worry at all, I can't even TELL that the input should be 50hz, there's NO indication on the screen as in juddering which I has on the acer, which forced me to become VERY well aquainted with Pixel Clock speeds..

Running 60hz on the Acer was unwatchable, hence my journey into Custom timings.

Fair enough, I'm running Vista and the nvidia drivers aren't quite as mature as they are in XP. Once you can do custom timings I will switch to HDMI. It's currently synced at 60hz though, and there is no juddering at all (at least none that I can see and from what I have heard I should be able to) which is great.

The panel accepts 50 & 60hz through HDMI. I really have no idea about timing and stuff, it works perfect on 60hz so I am happy.

Thanks eddieaus.

The second page of this review has a close up shot to demonstrate 1:1 pixel mapping (5th image from the bottom), could you take a similar shot?

Thanks again.

Hello all.

A big cheers for all the great posts on this thread, and the whole forum.

I just bought a 40v300 from Retravision in Croydon, Adelaide. Lowest price apparently was $1790 which is good enough for me. Salesman name was "Sam".

Hooked it up from my modded xbox with HD AV kit via composite and tv upscaled from 576i.

Also connected from the standard VGA out from my htpc with an X800 ati card, to the tvs "vga in" via supplied cable. Looks damn great. Res is 1360x768, video card doesn't seem to want to do the full 1366 but eh what is 6 pixels worth.

There seems to be some sort of slight redish blur effect coming from text off the pc. I haven't really played around with settings on the htpc - its a fresh vista install with up to date ati drivers, and the tv settings are basically stock. I fiddled around with some of the tv settings but it doesnt seem to go away, just reduce in obviousness. The red blur doesnt occur on my normal lcd monitor. Any ideas?

Also has anyone else noticed the hum coming from the back of the tv? There is two distinct noises coming from my set, i believe one is the bravia engine but im not sure about the other. It cant be heard from infront of the screen so its not an issue even in a very quiet room, I'm just not sure if it should hum at all. A sony rep said the bravia engine should hum a little, but not at a level that can be heard from a metre away. Any information from other people with the same model would be much appreciated.

Overall im quite happy. Great work Sony :D

Edited after speaking to Sony rep about humming noise.

Edited by beefzor

Also has anyone else noticed the hum coming from the power supply on the back of the tv? It cant be heard from infront of the screen so its not an issue even in a very quiet room, I'm just not sure if it should hum at all.

And so it starts.

Hello all.

A big cheers for all the great posts on this thread, and the whole forum.

I just bought a 40v300 from Retravision in Croydon, Adelaide. Lowest price apparently was $1790 which is good enough for me. Salesman name was "Sam".

Hooked it up from my modded xbox with HD AV kit via composite and tv upscaled from 576i.

Also connected from the standard VGA out from my htpc with an X800 ati card, to the tvs "vga in" via supplied cable. Looks damn great. Res is 1360x768, video card doesn't seem to want to do the full 1366 but eh what is 6 pixels worth.

There seems to be some sort of slight redish blur effect coming from text off the pc. I haven't really played around with settings on the htpc - its a fresh vista install with up to date ati drivers, and the tv settings are basically stock. I fiddled around with some of the tv settings but it doesnt seem to go away, just reduce in obviousness. The red blur doesnt occur on my normal lcd monitor. Any ideas?

Also has anyone else noticed the hum coming from the power supply on the back of the tv? It cant be heard from infront of the screen so its not an issue even in a very quiet room, I'm just not sure if it should hum at all.

Overall im quite happy. Great work Sony :D

if you've set it to TEXT mode, it should look ok, IN VIDEO mode I found the colors were a little overstaurated, whichI fixed with the Nvidia's control panel.

Guest asdfghjkl32

Just bought one V300 40" yesterday in Brisbane VIDEO PRO, they gave me a pretty good deal for the display unit, $1900 (includes 5 years extended warranty), bought it on the spot, but they don't sell set top box anymore... looking for one... anyone know where in Brisbane can find one? they claimed that sony has discontinued their DSTHD500, and read lots of reviews about it, all giving very negative comments.