New Sony V300 Is In Store Now!

Hey ppl,

I am currently in the market for either a 40" LCDTV or a 50" Plasma, non Full HD (as I'm probably sitting about 3.3 meters away, thanks to my rather idotic and hasty purchase of a corner modular..... )

The sony 40" V300 sounds like a good buy at around $1.7k, though that means reorganising my 4.8 x 5m living room a little.... which also doubles as my dining room btw, so its pretty small....

My only concern is that "made in Malaysia" sticker...... my mate at work who's formerly a malaysian mentioned that he doesn't think too highly of their QC practices and would prefer Thailand or Taiwan/ Chinese made samsungs or etc.., So any comments about the V300's picture quality as well as build quality from owners??

That being said $1.7k for a 40" LCD is definitiely a tempting deal...

Cheers ppl,

Picked up the 40V300 a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier. PS3 games and blu-ray look really sharp. 720p, 2 HDMI inputs for $1700, you can't go wrong...

great value you could get a second one for the bedroom :rolleyes:

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked up the 40V300 a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier. PS3 games and blu-ray look really sharp. 720p, 2 HDMI inputs for $1700, you can't go wrong...

great value you could get a second one for the bedroom :rolleyes:

Good quality feeds look really good on these TV's. The only reason I suggest that plasma is still the better way to go is how they (the LCD's) handle lower quality feeds (ie not very well) and that in low/no light, you really can see the effect of the backlight.

BUT

If you watch mainly HD content, and in at least some ambient light, then they are a great TV.

Hi all,

I saw this TV(40") at JB on the weekend and would have bought it there and then if it was black. Is there a black version available? The missus said it has to be black...

Cheers,

Brett

Have you already got a STB, preferrably HD? This model doesn't have an inbuilt digital tuner, only an analogue.

To get something in black, you are looking at the next model up, the KDL40V3100, which has inbuilt HD tuner, but is worth another $700.

Have you already got a STB, preferrably HD? This model doesn't have an inbuilt digital tuner, only an analogue.

To get something in black, you are looking at the next model up, the KDL40V3100, which has inbuilt HD tuner, but is worth another $700.

I will be connecting to a HTPC, so I would dearly love to save some cash and buy without the in built tuner. So I take it that they never released this model in black? Thats a shame, I liked it a lot.

I am off to look at a Toshiba place to check out their models without tuners.

Cheers,

Brett

I will be connecting to a HTPC, so I would dearly love to save some cash and buy without the in built tuner. So I take it that they never released this model in black? Thats a shame, I liked it a lot.

I am off to look at a Toshiba place to check out their models without tuners.

Cheers,

Brett

I have the 32" V300, and quite like the aesthetic of the case/surround. But if the boss says it has to be black ........ :wacko:

Guest operator
Guess what, our beloved V300 series DOESN'T EXIST anymore at www.sony.com.au.

its still up there, just tucked away under the analogue lcd category.

• 2 weeks later...

guys who have a V300 servies Bravia .... do any of you notice the picture losing colour and contrast when you move off centre with your viewing angle?

Mine (40") seems to start fading a bit as soon as I get around to about 45 degrees from viewing front-on. I thought this set was meant to have "178 degree" viewing angle?

This happens with TV, DVD and in bright and dark light.

I thougth there was somethign wrong with my panel so I took it back to the store and swapped it for another one but the new one does it too.

Hi Ppl,

I was in Sony Chatswood, and the sales drone there told me that the V300 is a runout model from NZ and pointed out there are newer models like the W-Series and X-Series.... I wonder how much truth is there to that or is he just thinking for fdeeding customers some BS so they would go for the more expensive bravias?

Any ideas what the sales drone is up to? My gut feeling says that he's trying to divert me to the other models,

On the other hand it could just be good ol paranoid me....

Cheers,

Hi Ppl,

I was in Sony Chatswood, and the sales drone there told me that the V300 is a runout model from NZ and pointed out there are newer models like the W-Series and X-Series.... I wonder how much truth is there to that or is he just thinking for fdeeding customers some BS so they would go for the more expensive bravias?

Any ideas what the sales drone is up to? My gut feeling says that he's trying to divert me to the other models,

On the other hand it could just be good ol paranoid me....

Cheers,

If it's a NZ runout it will only have an analog tuner no digital one..

I have a v300 40" TV and I couldn't be happier with it. I use it as my PC Monitor, DVD Player, Console Screen and have it plugged into a Panasonic ST550 100watt Surround Sound. I got it and convinced the Salesman to give me a free HD Set Top Box. I live in a Studio Appartment above a 2 car garage ('Sup Fonzie). Awesome set for the price. Total Package with 5 year Warranty $2,500 48 months Interest Free. Put a decent sound system on one turn the lights off and enjoy LCD Greatness.

Edited by Chev

• 1 month later...
I'm running 7300GS, Xp, latest drivers, and Powerstrip.

Anything under 52hz causes the TV to display out of range, but that's with about 10 seconds playing. I'll attack it this week and get it down to 50hz. It's got something to do with Vertical Khz and or Front/Back Porch settings....

I've tried the VGA cable and am using a DVI to HDMI cable, same thing. Not that it's a worry at all, I can't even TELL that the input should be 50hz, there's NO indication on the screen as in juddering which I has on the acer, which forced me to become VERY well aquainted with Pixel Clock speeds..

Running 60hz on the Acer was unwatchable, hence my journey into Custom timings.

Hi there, sorry to dredge this up but did you ever get to 50HZ, i'm down to 53 and have invested in an DVI to HDMI cable to try 50HZ with 1280 x 720 , however my nvidia driver wont let me store the frequency and if i set powerstrip to 50HZ the TV gives an unsuppoted signal. I'd appreciate any tips you could give.

Cheers

m

• 1 month later...
I still want to know how you got that price! I bought one from Retravision on the weekend for $1,300 with only the standard warranty, and I was reasonably okay with the deal - the guy wouldn't go near the price you got (I showed it to him naturally).

I think you already got an amazing deal. I wouldn't think you can buy a TV from one retailer and the warranty from another, but the only way to be sure would be to ring and find out.

How are you finding the set? I noticed a difference initially going from the old Sony CRT, as the LCD has a more artificial (?) looking picture I think. Takes a bit of gettting used to. But it is good overall, love the widescreen and reduced weight and form factor. Higher quality signals look fantastic.

The only real complaints so far are:

1) I noticed watching AFL at the weekend that the players and background/crowd weren't so clear on wide shots, but clarity and overall PQ good when zoomed in. Not the same watching league though, as both wide and zoom were both nice and clear.

2) At times when there is a fully white background with writing (on some adds) that the TV gets a sort of stutter in it, don't know how else to describe it, but it's like what happens when something like a dishwasher or washing machine changes cycles and current draw causes the picture to jump. Only this happens only on white backgrounds and with no appliances on! Anyone else have similar?

3) Not quite able to get the settings where I would like, skin tones just not quite natural. Anyone have any suggestions/settings?

My main concerns about this set prior to purchase, that being black levels, motion blur and viewing angle have all proved to be no problem at all. I reckon that for the price I paid, this set is very hard to beat. Next addition will be a HD PVR when the prices settle down and the bugs are ironed out.