New Sony V300 Is In Store Now!

First post here. Hi all.

I'm also wondering how this handles lower res inputs - 720p/1080i and lower such as a Wii.

The new X series are supposed to have much better processing for lower res inputs. Wondering how this V300 stacks up against the X series and other brands.

Seems this is really hard to get any info on with ANY sets (let alone new and unreleased) and rarely do shops have different inputs types there for you to test.

I'm torn between paying much less for something like the V300 and one of the upcoming X series for better display of HD content at 1080p/24 with 120Hz. Decisions, Decisions... :)

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care, If I can buy an set top box for an extra $99-$199.. does it really matter?

Would the built in HD tuner give me better quality? or just the fact that its included and uses a single remote is the only major bonus?

Edited by MrShlee

I don't care, If I can buy an set top box for an extra $99-$199.. does it really matter?

Why not get a V300 right now, but ask the store if you don't like it, can you get a credit (plus a few dollars to them for doing this) on the new model when it comes out.

Hello, first post. I have a question regarding the Sony set top box you got with the tv. Can everything be operated from the one remote? Are channel changes instantaneous? I saw this particular tv the other day and it looked great. I'm still confused as to the cheap price.

Hello, first post. I have a question regarding the Sony set top box you got with the tv. Can everything be operated from the one remote? Are channel changes instantaneous? I saw this particular tv the other day and it looked great. I'm still confused as to the cheap price.

only basic TV functions can be done throught the STB remote: power, volume, mute, video input select, TV channel select.

TV remote can not control STB

so the only major difference between the V300 and the V2000 is the inbuilt tuner??

The panel has 10 bit colour as opposed to the 8 bit of the V2000 and an extra HDMI connector. Oh, and the price is about $1,000 less :)

so the only major difference between the V300 and the V2000 is the inbuilt tuner??

V300

BE engine v2.5 (announced in 2006)

2XHDMI 1.3

1080P support

10 bit panel

V2000

BE engine v2.0 (announced in 2004)

1XHDMI 1.2

no 1080P support

8 bit panel

Hi all,

another first time poster here. I've gone through this thread with great interest as I'm looking to pick up a V300 32" over the next day or three. Just a few of quick questions.

1 ) Set top boxes - I'm hoping to get a HD STB but the prices are pretty steep (I'm already over budget as it is because the thought of 32" lured me away from the 26"!). What would be the minimum amount to spend on a HD STB whilst still ensuring I'm utilising the screen I'm paying for? I don't wanna pick up a dud STB and have PQ issues, slow channel changes, etc. Preferably $250 or less.

2 ) What are the main disadvantages in not having an in-built tuner?

3 ) PS3s and Xboxs have been mentioned, but I have a Wii. How do people think the V300 32" will handle my lower resolution console? I'm pretty sure the Wii only outputs a maximum of 480p.

4 ) And finally, is it even worth getting a HD STB at the moment? With so little HD content being broadcast, would it be smarter to pick up a SD STB and wait a while for a price drop?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Edited by Luke0003