New Sony V300 Is In Store Now!

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's something to think about if you're planning on getting the 40" 10-bit Sony AND hooking it up to a HTPC with an Nvidia card:

It appears that unless you have a Nvidia 8 or above series you're not going to get more than 8-bit color from your panel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_8_Series

Looks like I'm screwed I haven't got the room in my Shuttle for an 8-Series card.

I've heard that V300's panel is not true 10-bit. It's got 10-bit color from a 8-bit panel by dithering. I don't have evidence to support the theory though. It is a little bit suspicious when sony uses "true 10-bit panel" to describe X series but without the word "true" for other models on the US Sony website.

this new sony screen(40" v300) supports 1080p but is advertised as a 720 screen? hows that work - Limitations somewhere/not native?

$2000 is a great price.

native resolution is 1366X768, but can accept 1080P signal via HDMI, won't be displayed as 1080P though.

Hmm, so when are the 40" are actually coming to the stores in sydney. I haven't seen them anywhere so far and am in the market for a 720p for my ps3 (cant afford 1080p, PS3 was a present lol). I was tossing up between this and a comparable plasma (in size, pq and price), but I've been out of the loop for a while and don't know much about plasmas.

Hmm, so when are the 40" are actually coming to the stores in sydney. I haven't seen them anywhere so far and am in the market for a 720p for my ps3 (cant afford 1080p, PS3 was a present lol). I was tossing up between this and a comparable plasma (in size, pq and price), but I've been out of the loop for a while and don't know much about plasmas.

try the Good Guys, i saw both 32" and 40" at my local good guys. they quoted me $2050 for 40V300 + HD box.

BTW guys, Australia has lowest pricing for 40" V300 in Asia/Oceania region:

Australia: $1999

China: $2,143

Taiwan: $2,109

Hong Kong: 2,667

New Zealand: 2,718

very suprising :D

Is that A$$ conversion or country of origin $$??

Im looking at this TV for the same reason, I have an Asus W2PC laptop which has HDMI output & HD-DVD player on it, that way i have both bases in HD DVD covered.

If anyone has price in Brisbane, let me know. Otherwise when i start shopping ill post up the prices i get.

Here's something to think about if you're planning on getting the 40" 10-bit Sony AND hooking it up to a HTPC with an Nvidia card:

It appears that unless you have a Nvidia 8 or above series you're not going to get more than 8-bit color from your panel.

Looks like I'm screwed I haven't got the room in my Shuttle for an 8-Series card.

All video is 8 bit, but video processing needs to be done in high bit precision to avoid rounding errors when manipulating 8 bit data.

The panel its self dose not need more then 8 bit.

8xxx cards have much better and more accurate colour then 7xxx or 6xxx cards.

If you are thinking about upgrading your video card, look at the new Radeon 2000 series.

They have a new UVD (Unified Video Decoder) which will take care of H264 and VC1 video processing with high quality playback. They are the equivalent of the Nvidia 8000 series.

The HD2400 cards even come in cut down form to fit inside small cases, like the shuttle.

If you are a casual gamer, then try and see if you can fit one of the HD 2600XT cards inside.

They are also releasing AGP models as well as PCI. Their prices should be competitive.

Expect them to start appearing in stores in the next couple of weeks.

If you are thinking about upgrading your video card, look at the new Radeon 2000 series.

They have a new UVD (Unified Video Decoder) which will take care of H264 and VC1 video processing with high quality playback. They are the equivalent of the Nvidia 8000 series.

The HD2400 cards even come in cut down form to fit inside small cases, like the shuttle.

If you are a casual gamer, then try and see if you can fit one of the HD 2600XT cards inside.

They are also releasing AGP models as well as PCI. Their prices should be competitive.

Expect them to start appearing in stores in the next couple of weeks.

Great, thanks for the info!

All video is 8 bit, but video processing needs to be done in high bit precision to avoid rounding errors when manipulating 8 bit data.

The panel its self dose not need more then 8 bit.

8xxx cards have much better and more accurate colour then 7xxx or 6xxx cards.

So it WOULD be advantages to get a new card, to take advatage of the 10bit panel?

So it WOULD be advantages to get a new card, to take advatage of the 10bit panel?

Definitely, but not to take advantage of the 10 bit panel.

Video cards only uses 10bit internally, the output is standard 8 bit.

Great, thanks for the info!

You're welcome. :)

Back to the V300

click here! (right hand column)

Sony Australia say it as a 10 bit panel, which is good news but it appears the only noise reduction circuitry on the set is via the composite input.

It also looks to have a pedestal base, but has "swivel" listed under features! Hmmmm.

V3000 40" + HD PVR for under $2600!? If so, I think I will be downsizing from 46".

(unless the 46" TV's have similarly huge price drops)

\\

Time to upgrade then.

Sony Central is Sydney advertised in the paper this week the new 40V300 for $1999 including Sony HDSTB. Thats a pretty good deal. The TV alone is $1999. They also advertised the 160GB HD PVR fro $599. I picked up personally the 250GB for $699.

So your wish of 40V300 and HD PVR for $2600 is available

Went into my local Sony Central (Chapel Street, Melbourne) they have the V300 40" in store and in stock for $1,799.

5 year extended warranrty was an extra $249.

And they have the Sony DSTHD500 HD STB which is normally $299 in store for $199 with the TV.

So $2,247 for the lot.

Was tempted to get one, just wouldn't fit on the back seat of the car ;)

So may have to go down tomorrow.

Went into my local Sony Central (Chapel Street, Melbourne) they have the V300 40" in store and in stock for $1,799.

5 year extended warranrty was an extra $249.

And they have the Sony DSTHD500 HD STB which is normally $299 in store for $199 with the TV.

So $2,247 for the lot.

Was tempted to get one, just wouldn't fit on the back seat of the car ;)

So may have to go down tomorrow.

MYER can match this price, plus you get $40 MYER gift card if you're MYER One member.