Sony Bravia X Series Hdtv Hd Tuner Problem Signal Loss

PLEASE DO NOT MERGE WITH OTHER THREAD, AS TITLE DOES NOT SHOW UP IN SEARCH ENGINES WELL HOPEFULLY THIS IS EASIER TO FIND THIS!!!!

I seem to be having the issue with my new Sony Bravia X Series 46inch LCD. KDL-46X2000

The Main issue is the Temperamental signal for the HDTV tuner...

This was brought about 1 month ago.

The Problem & Troubleshooting:

1. On random occasions there will be no digital signal at all only analogue.

2. Sometimes if i leave it in standby as it always sits in overnight the signal is back again NP.

3. If i turn the TV off manually (out of standby) for a couple of minutes the signal is back for a short period of time.

4. If i turn the TV off for 10-20min the signal is back for the rest of the day.

5. Re-scanning all the channels when the digital signal is gone turns up nothing at all.

What has been done:

1. New good quality digital antenna has been installed.

2. Antenna has been tuned by a professional to get the best reception.

3. I have a Samsung 40inch LCD in another room with a Topfield HDTV Tuner & that never looses the signal.

4. I have a Dvico capture card in my pc & the signal never goes, the signal strength on the software says its "97%" @ 23.7dB.

I called the Sony service centre in Melbourne, buy they will want $140 or so bucks if they find no fault i find that very hard to swallow.

Since i have still nearly a year before the warranty expires i hope it will get worse then it can be seen better by the technician rather than "it sometimes happens" because I don’t want to pay $140 bucks for something that can’t be find but is present.

I’m going to see how the weeks go & if I feel compelled to figure this out I will try and get a technician on the line through the support centre to find out if this is a issue & will they replace the tuner on my word of mouth? Or if it’s a common fault on the bravia display.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now my dad went into JB-Hifi and all the other HDTV's had a digital signal while the sony bravia had none!!!! just like mine. !!!! (this was done within 10min of my signal dropping out, yes i live that close to a shopping centre)

UPDATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talked to the service centre again & my specific details were forwarded directly to the servicing guys, they called me (the service tech) back within a couple of minutes and recommended that a service is carried out ASAP. I will be booking one in tomorrow, and i will update this thread with my Sony servicing experience & let people know if this is really a problem :angry: which it really seems like it is a ACTIVE issue and needs to be repaired.

Stay Tuned. Cheers Rob

I know I have issues with my digital tuner on the KDL-40X2000. But I do believe it is to do with my computer for some strange reason. When I turn it on, I sometimes lose Channel 7 or 10, usually only one of them at once. Turn it off, and mostly get reception back. Sometimes it takes a while. Hard to explain, and hard to understand. I have the computer on right now, and all channels work fine.

Is a plagued TV, but im very happy still. Has a small bit of backlight bleed, but I barely notice these days. And only once has the TV turned itself off automatically, and im guessing its the known problem with TV stations screwing around.

I know I have issues with my digital tuner on the KDL-40X2000. But I do believe it is to do with my computer for some strange reason. When I turn it on, I sometimes lose Channel 7 or 10, usually only one of them at once. Turn it off, and mostly get reception back. Sometimes it takes a while. Hard to explain, and hard to understand. I have the computer on right now, and all channels work fine.

Is a plagued TV, but im very happy still. Has a small bit of backlight bleed, but I barely notice these days. And only once has the TV turned itself off automatically, and im guessing its the known problem with TV stations screwing around.

**** mate hope it works out ok for ya.

Whats backlight bleeding exactly?

I've had the same issue with my X46. Has only done it once but lost Ch70 for no reason. Thought it may have been a minor power spike. Rescanned channels and it's been fine ever since.

Mine also has the mysterious turn off then turn back on bug that is also found in the SXRD 60 I believe. Mine's been booked in for a service call next Tuesday. Tech seemed to know exactly what I was talking about when I described it to him over the phone. Good to hear for a change as the problem is intermittent and has only happened twice. Says that he can fix it on site so must be reasonably simple problem to remedy. Let's hope so.

Bleeding/clouding/patchiness all relate to a fault in the screens of the majority of X series Bravias. There seems to be an unevenness regarding the tightness of the screen when it is fitted into the frame. It shows up mainly in the corners and edges of the screen and looks like a lighter patch in the screen. It shows up mostly in dark scenes such as night scenes or dark sky scenes as in Star Wars and other Sci-Fi movies. How bad it is varies from outright terrible to hardly there at all. Luck of the draw as to what severity you get. If you own an X series don't go looking for it. Once you've found it you'll always notice it. I've had 3 units and the last one I got was the one I finally kept. It has it but not too severely

I used to have an old 28.8k dial-up modem that would lag, then hang whenever the washing machine was turned on - most annoying during war2 games :)

UPDATE!!!!!

Had the nice service tech come to service my Bravia X Series here are the details:

• First Checked out the service menu for any fault codes

• Checked my general picture settings & stated “that’s how he would recommend it be setupâ€

• Got my serial number for the TV in the menus

Since the Digital tuner seems to be the issue (which it was) it was hard to replicate the problem but it was said by the service tech that it's NOT an unknown problem & also here are some of the other issues that could be caused by the Digital tuner:

• Random loss of signal in random occasions

• Loss of TV programs stored on the TV & not searchable

• Loss of audio from the TV set (on digital channels)

• Loss of Digital channels & re-searching them comes up with nothing

***Just for people who are out of warranty it will cost approx $600+ dollars for the replacement of the digital tuner itself.

***Also not all service problems can be seen in the service menu details (error codes) it was said that this Digital tuner issue that sometimes it would have error codes in the service menu and most times it would have NO error codes.

The Parts will be in approx 3 weeks and I will be called when the earliest time a technician can come and install the part.

Some General details:

A Service call out through Sony will cost you approx $140 dollars if NO fault is found.

The Extended warranty though Sony will cost $650 or so, for an extra 4 years**

** The Extended warranty was mentioned at near the end of the visit by the service technician, he did recommend the warranty which was to be expected but it may be worth getting it.

If issues within the 1 Year warranty continue (let’s hope not) & since the parts are pretty damn expensive the warranty may pay off in the long run.

I believe if multiple parts fail in the one year warranty I would be calling up Sony Directly and having a serious word, with a RRP of $5999 for the 46inch Bravia X-Series (Made In Japan) I would expect a better build quality.

PLEASE DO NOT MERGE WITH OTHER THREAD, AS TITLE DOES NOT SHOW UP IN SEARCH ENGINES WELL HOPEFULLY THIS IS EASIER TO FIND THIS!!!!

I seem to be having the issue with my new Sony Bravia X Series 46inch LCD. KDL-46X2000

The Main issue is the Temperamental signal for the HDTV tuner...

This was brought about 1 month ago.

The Problem & Troubleshooting:

1. On random occasions there will be no digital signal at all only analogue.

2. Sometimes if i leave it in standby as it always sits in overnight the signal is back again NP.

3. If i turn the TV off manually (out of standby) for a couple of minutes the signal is back for a short period of time.

4. If i turn the TV off for 10-20min the signal is back for the rest of the day.

5. Re-scanning all the channels when the digital signal is gone turns up nothing at all.

What has been done:

1. New good quality digital antenna has been installed.

2. Antenna has been tuned by a professional to get the best reception.

3. I have a Samsung 40inch LCD in another room with a Topfield HDTV Tuner & that never looses the signal.

4. I have a Dvico capture card in my pc & the signal never goes, the signal strength on the software says its "97%" @ 23.7dB.

I called the Sony service centre in Melbourne, buy they will want $140 or so bucks if they find no fault i find that very hard to swallow.

Since i have still nearly a year before the warranty expires i hope it will get worse then it can be seen better by the technician rather than "it sometimes happens" because I don’t want to pay $140 bucks for something that can’t be find but is present.

I’m going to see how the weeks go & if I feel compelled to figure this out I will try and get a technician on the line through the support centre to find out if this is a issue & will they replace the tuner on my word of mouth? Or if it’s a common fault on the bravia display.

Digital Monkey I am experiencing the same problems as you on my Sony Bravia KDL 40V200 LCD which i only bought in mid MAY this yeart.

My problems:

1 Digital signal is ok then i get weak signal message followed by a black screen with bad or no signal message.

2 Try to do a rescanning but keep getting same message bad or no signal. Then i eventually get a message no channels available. Then have to use analogue which is a bummer.

3 Like you i have to turn the set off without tring to rescan and try again later, sometimes the signal comes back and othertimes not.

4 If i turn the set off overnight after losing my signal it returns the following evening.

What i have done

1 Replaced all cables from antenna wall outlet and surge protector with RG6 Quad shielded cable. NO improvement

2 Had a antenna technician call yesterday and tested the digital signal strength from the antenna wall outlet, surge protector and both were ok.

3 He tested the roof antenna for digital signal strength and it was ok.

4 He commented to me that he could install another antenna but doubted if it would solve my problem.

I called the Sony service cente and arranged for a local Sony Warranty service Tech to come out, they did not mention the $140 charge.

What was the issue with your Digital Tuner and if it's not an unknown problem should Sony be thinking of a recall.

Please refer to the Geographical Viewers Forum - Qld - Brisbane Viewers for the various posts i have sent on this problem and suggested fixes .

Maybe if enough users respond to this forum with Similar problems ( Sony Bravia LCD tv with in built tuner), Sony might acknowledge they have a problem. Like you i expected better for my $3000.00.

Your post has been very timely me as i was running out of options ( could still be out of pocket $140.00).

Thank you tech deficient

Tech deficient from what you have mentioned there it seems like the same issue i am having atm. The $140 service fee was mentioned to me once when i first called up to make the booking, then the other 2 times it was not mentioned. I think it depends on the operator but either ask about it over the phone or when they come around & the service tech thinks your TV has no issue (which it looks like it has) and it’s something else, you can play dumb and say that you were never told about such a fee as its still under warranty (which i would of done myself).

I am experiencing the same problems as you on my Sony Bravia KDL 40V200 LCD which i only bought in mid MAY this yeart.

My problems:

1 Digital signal is ok then i get weak signal message followed by a black screen with bad or no signal message.

2 Try to do a rescanning but keep getting same message bad or no signal. Then i eventually get a message no channels available. Then have to use analogue which is a bummer.

3 Like you i have to turn the set off without tring to rescan and try again later, sometimes the signal comes back and othertimes not.

4 If i turn the set off overnight after losing my signal it returns the following evening.

A friend of mine had the same issue with a new Sony Bravia KDL40V2000 (bought in May). All digital channels would disappear with "no signal", rescanning was no use, the set had to be powered off at the wall which would normally fix it. A Sony technician came and fixed it by upgrading the firmware. He said it was a known issue. I don't know if there was a service charge, but I don't think so (and nor should there be!) Original thread is here.

What was the issue with your Digital Tuner and if it's not an unknown problem should Sony be thinking of a recall.

The tech didn’t mention what exactly is wrong with it, except that it is "the problem" with the digital channels disappearing.

Also there is another thread about a similar problem http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=50055 but with the V Series of the bravia tv's. One of the people has a service tech come around to fix their Sony Bravia KDL40V2000 and all he did is a firmware update which supposedly fixed the problem, i don’t know if my issue is X-Series specific (the physical digital tuner) or for other versions it just requires a firmware update.

Cheers Rob

A friend of mine had the same issue with a new Sony Bravia KDL40V2000 (bought in May). All digital channels would disappear with "no signal", rescanning was no use, the set had to be powered off at the wall which would normally fix it. A Sony technician came and fixed it by upgrading the firmware. He said it was a known issue. I don't know if there was a service charge, but I don't think so (and nor should there be!) Original thread is here.

Good to hear you got it sorted with only a firmware upgrade as my Bravia is mounted on a aftermarket stand and is a pain to remove and put back on :( but i guess it has to be done. With the service fee there should not be one period!! if its still under warranty, but as mentioned above one person in the call centre mentioned it and its never been mentioned again.

Cheers Rob.

Sony tech called in today to have a look at my Sony Bravia LCD model KDL 40V200 which has been losing signal and channels. He checked my connections and saw that i had quad shielded on the FTA wall antenna outlet and from the surge protector. He told me this is the first thing he checks if there is pixelation breakup and other reception problems.

Even though my problem was bad or no signal and complete channel loss on rescan attempts.

While he was checking my various channels on digital my signal once again went. I mentioned to him how another forum member had the same problem as me on their similar model Bravia and it was corrected by a Firmware upgrade.

He told me that as far as he knew no Firmware upgrade was out at present.

Luckily for me he bought along a replacement HD inbuilt tuner for my set and installed it there and then. He admitted that he has only had to replace 4 of these units so far for the Sony Bravias. ( maybe 4 too many)

Once again thank you guys for your your previous posts about your problems which helped me narrow down down a solution. This site has shown its worth by keeping the average person informed.

I have the KDL40X200 . Sometimes in the mornings when i go to turn it on (from standby mode) The logo comes on but no picture...nothing! Currently since we have moved into a new place there is no roof mounted antenna so we only have rabbit ears ATM. However this couldn't be the issue for the problem in starting up could it?

any help?

cheers

I have the KDL40X200 . Sometimes in the mornings when i go to turn it on (from standby mode) The logo comes on but no picture...nothing! Currently since we have moved into a new place there is no roof mounted antenna so we only have rabbit ears ATM. However this couldn't be the issue for the problem in starting up could it?

any help?

cheers

Hard to say but most issues people have with the TV sets is that they don’t have decent antennas & then they experience problems. Its best to rule out every possible thing before you start calling Sony as with most companies they would blame something else rather than the tv itself.

...Its best to rule out every possible thing before you start calling Sony as with most companies they would blame something else rather than the tv itself.

Digital TV standards require the antenna signal strength must be within the operating window of between 40uV and 70uV for each available channel.

The DTV standard also requires a graphical means of representing the signal quality (strength & other parameters) to the viewer.

That way the user doesn't have to care about uVolts and the other quality parameters :)

From memory, i think the standards call it the 'signal quality monitor'.

Some time ago i saw a reference (within www.dba.org.au) to a color standard (yellow, orange?, green, red) for this signal quality monitor.

Green is classified as a good signal.

Yellow and red indicates poor quality signals, either the signal strength is too weak or too strong or some other parameter is outside limits.

So, if you are watching a digital channel and you check the channel details via the 'info' button, you should normally see the signal quality monitor.

A steady and solid green line should indicate that all is well (no problems with your antenna even though they may be rabbit ears :) )

If the SQM line moves left or right and occasionally changes color to yellow or red, then the quality is not as it should be and you will likely experience picture blocking and/or sound chirps.

In these cases, suspect your antenna.

If you see a solid green steady line and still have picture problems, i would suggest that the panel or STB digital tuner has issues.

In these cases ring the manufacturer and explain your problems and why you think it is an issue with their equipment.

It would be interesting to see if the DTV/STB manufacturers would still blame the antenna even though their set shows good signal quality and still has problems :wacko:

Cheers, itchione

Guest paul82

In my case, my problem was the digital tuner in my KDL40V2000. Seemed strange that all was working perfectly for 2 days on TV and HD PVR, then no digital on the TV. Analogue was fine and PVR still showed 100% signal. Anyway, I still thought it was the reception and spent the weekend changing my coax to quad shielded and F-type connectors and no improvement! Called Sony, who sent a service rep. Without testing anything he said it must be a tuner failure since the signal is fine. Of course, they never have the parts with them so he has to come back to fix it. Disappointing for a 2 week old TV. Anyone else had a total tuner failure (on X or V), not just intermittent signal?

In my case, my problem was the digital tuner in my KDL40V2000. Seemed strange that all was working perfectly for 2 days on TV and HD PVR, then no digital on the TV. Analogue was fine and PVR still showed 100% signal. Anyway, I still thought it was the reception and spent the weekend changing my coax to quad shielded and F-type connectors and no improvement! Called Sony, who sent a service rep. Without testing anything he said it must be a tuner failure since the signal is fine. Of course, they never have the parts with them so he has to come back to fix it. Disappointing for a 2 week old TV. Anyone else had a total tuner failure (on X or V), not just intermittent signal?

Paul82

I had the same problem as you with my Sony Bravia KDL 40V200.which i bought in Mid may 2007. Worked ok for a couple of days then had bad or no signal message on a blank black screen with loss of channels on trying tring to rescan. Like you i replaced the antenna outlet cable from the wall with Quad Shielded cable and also from my Surge protector to the back of the TV. No improvement. Had an antenna guy come and he tested the digital signal strength from all outlets including the roof antenna which had RG59 cable running from it. He suggested i contact Sony tech for a serviceman to come out. Luckily for me the digital signal disappeared while he was testing the unit. Mine was the fourth unit on Sony Bravias he has had to replace. Paul there are other threads on this site from different forum members ( such as Digital Monkey who had the same problem.) where you can read about their experiences with the Sony Bravias. By the way, do you know if the TV had been out of warranty it would have cost $600.00 for a replacement HD inbuilt Tuner.

Guest paul82
Paul82

I had the same problem as you with my Sony Bravia KDL 40V200.which i bought in Mid may 2007. Worked ok for a couple of days then had bad or no signal message on a blank black screen with loss of channels on trying tring to rescan. Like you i replaced the antenna outlet cable from the wall with Quad Shielded cable and also from my Surge protector to the back of the TV. No improvement. Had an antenna guy come and he tested the digital signal strength from all outlets including the roof antenna which had RG59 cable running from it. He suggested i contact Sony tech for a serviceman to come out. Luckily for me the digital signal disappeared while he was testing the unit. Mine was the fourth unit on Sony Bravias he has had to replace. Paul there are other threads on this site from different forum members ( such as Digital Monkey who had the same problem.) where you can read about their experiences with the Sony Bravias. By the way, do you know if the TV had been out of warranty it would have cost $600.00 for a replacement HD inbuilt Tuner.

Well, glad to hear I'm not the only one. It's annoying that I had to spend the money upgrade the cable in the house, but at least if there's any future problems I can eliminate that as a source. I just hope once they replace the tuner the new one will be OK. Maybe this is why the new Bravias don't have a built in tuner?

*** Just a QUICK update, still waiting on the part to come in as they are on back order. ****

*** Got a Samsung LCD as well and the power supply make a electronic buzzing noise (everything works fine, only certain people can hear the buzzing) funny enough the part is on BACK ORDER as well (so far over one month wait). ****

Chalk up another person with the same problem with their v series 40" Bravia, I am new to lcd and digital and was cursing my antenna, however I have since installed a brand new one and have also tested it on a digital pc tuner and its perfect, its definitely the tv as described above it will be on intermittently and then it will drop out completely. What a pain, I am so glad to have found this forum though at least I know the direction to go in and have so ammo to show Sony (Ironic thing is I bought sony to avoid these sort of issues)

Will keep you posted.

*** Just a QUICK update, still waiting on the part to come in as they are on back order. ****

*** Got a Samsung LCD as well and the power supply make a electronic buzzing noise (everything works fine, only certain people can hear the buzzing) funny enough the part is on BACK ORDER as well (so far over one month wait). ****

Okay got the tuner repaired on tuesday this week, all done and no problems atm :D

Here are some details:

Below is the picture of the whole part that was replaced, this part is enclosed in a metal like casing (with many ventilation holes). If you split the part apart there are two boards as you can see, both of them get replaced as its considered as one part.

OLD REVISION:

Top Small Board: v0.3

Bottom Large Board: v1.2

NEW REVISION (installed):

Top Small Board: v0.4

Bottom Large Board: v1.3

The issue is the bottom board (large) not the top (small) board (the tech said) but both pieces are replaced as they come as one whole part when it is replaced.

**Sorry about the average quality, didnt have my camera on me at the time so i had to use my mobile.

Sony HDTV Tuner Image (hosted at imageshack)

Hope this helps some people, about getting some better details about what the problem is & what is being replaced.

Thanks for the info DM might give them a call and chase mine up, I am still waiting on a part to come in :(

Okay got the tuner repaired on tuesday this week, all done and no problems atm :D

Here are some details:

Below is the picture of the whole part that was replaced, this part is enclosed in a metal like casing (with many ventilation holes). If you split the part apart there are two boards as you can see, both of them get replaced as its considered as one part.

OLD REVISION:

Top Small Board: v0.3

Bottom Large Board: v1.2

NEW REVISION (installed):

Top Small Board: v0.4

Bottom Large Board: v1.3

The issue is the bottom board (large) not the top (small) board (the tech said) but both pieces are replaced as they come as one whole part when it is replaced.

**Sorry about the average quality, didnt have my camera on me at the time so i had to use my mobile.

Sony HDTV Tuner Image (hosted at imageshack)

Hope this helps some people, about getting some better details about what the problem is & what is being replaced.