Screen Height, Speaker Placement And Seating Locations

The end goal is to get a flat response and the path to the final result differs from room to room.    
It will be interesting to see how the sweeps come out in the latest project I have been involved in.  One thing I have changed since this thread was first posted is the way I find maximum screen heights.  

My own room is based on most of this and I just checked my in room response with the RTA and found that I have rid of my 30Hz peak and now have a fairly uniform bass response from 30 to 80Hz.  This was done by a combination of sub placement, medium density foam cylinders in the back corners and level matching.  My system does not offer EQ for the SUBs so I cheated slightly by playing with the only adjustments I had - the crossover on the plate amp and it the final level controls.      

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looks like this page hasn't been updated in some time? So I've made up a pdf covering the following:   Screen sizes and formats and how to choose them based on room specs and viewing angl

what about basing it on image width? 1 x image width for scope works out to be 2.35 x image height.. I found with 4K in particular, even 'fake 4K' on the epson and jvcs that 1 x image width seems to be the sweet spot. Or at least it's very immersive for me. I wouldn't change it any time soon put is that way. And if you stay in the same spot for 16:9 material, you're still 2.35 x image height away too. I guess it's the same as what you're saying Mark but looking at it on the horizontal plane instead of vertical.

The purpose of the revised first post is to work out how large the screen can be from the beginning of the room design. I've used 15 degrees vertical as that reference (THX and SMPTE).  I was still using an SD projector when I wrote the original first post back in 2007.  10 years on and a lot has changed, so why I wanted to update this thread.

1x the image width of Scope works out to be 53.1 degrees for Scope and 41.5 degrees for 16:9.  Nothing wrong with that.  

• 2 years later...

Looks like this page hasn't been updated in some time? So I've made up a pdf covering the following:

• Screen sizes and formats and how to choose them based on room specs and viewing angles.
  • Screen gain, textures, what to avoid etc.
  • Velvet frames and why that's important - why fidelio is the best there is!
  • Screen frames and the industry standard 3 inch wide frame. Why frame less screens can be a nightmare to align.
  • The new Majestic screen frame and fabric insert - Installers and clients will be happy with this - no more sore thumbs!
  • Ambient light, room colours and paint.

https://www.projectorscreens.com.au/oztheatre_printable_screen_tech_guide.pdf

And Majestic screen sizes, might as well add this here 

https://www.projectorscreens.com.au/oz_theatre_screen_sizes_2019.pdf

I'll be adding to this pdf over time. Next up with the more popular projector throw distances vs screen sizes and formats. (JVC, Sony, Epson, BenQ etc) How much room you need to leave behind projector - based on warranty,  air vents and air flow etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • 1 month later...
On 05/09/2019 at 3:52 PM, oztheatre said:

I'll be adding to this pdf over time. Next up with the more popular projector throw distances vs screen sizes and formats. (JVC, Sony, Epson, BenQ etc) How much room you need to leave behind projector - based on warranty,  air vents and air flow etc.

definitely worth doing oz, these are often questions from folk...