Panasonic 70a Sound Breakup Problem

When it changed to Alias after Dodgeball, sound went to just white noise

Same thing happend to me on my 700A, although ive never experienced that before.

Regarding the sound breakup issue however, I emailed them and got that dodgy response email with the bad spelling that everyone else is getting. Also rang them and they seemed to know all about the issue and that they where working on it.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a real sound system then. If you're expecting great sound out of ANY TV speakers, you're dreaming. It doesn't exist. If you want better sound then buy real speakers.

If it helps..think about it a different way. The most important part of the panel is the PQ right? It's what you're spending the money on (I hope). You're talking about the cheap and basically throw in portion of the TV. Given two TV's of equivalent price, one with better PQ and crap speakers vs. one with worse PQ and good speakers, the one with better PQ should win out everytime.....or else you're weighing the 2% piece more than the 98% piece.

Dear Polymer,

That's not necessarily the case as the quality of the output of my old Grundig Dolby Virtual Surround was way above that

of this set.

As for speakers, well I just don't have the space so have been considering alternatives such as 5.1 sound projections

systems virtual surround systems. I have settled on Zvox Mini system which has had some good reports and if it doesn't

live up to my expectations within a month, I can return it to supplier.

I've sent through a new complaint on the panasonic website, mainly to keep on them and not let them let it die down and forget us all!

I recently purchased a TH-42PX70A, and have found that when I watch channel 10 (HD12) whenever the screen has either a black background, or a white background with text, the voiceover or sound comes across very distorted. This is very evident with the channel 10 promos, govt ads, myer ads, and also during the Law & Order shows.

I've seen a lot of correspondance on this on the DTV forum (http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=51316) and it is discouraging to note that panasonic seems to be trying to pass the buck on to channel 10 and has not provided any real feedback to others who have made similar complaints.

Can you please advise how this can be resolved, or if this problem is being taken seriously and has been escalated appropriately.

END QUOTE

I just watched Dodgeball on Seven HD (70) which worked fine. When it changed to Alias after Dodgeball, sound went to just white noise (the "Dolby Digital" stream). All other channels worked fine and so did 7 (using the "MPEG" stream). Even after changing back it was still the same. I couldn't select the MPEG stream on the HD channel making 70 unwatchable. As mentioned previously I don't have an AVR so I don't know what was coming out of the audio out.

So I started watching the SD channel instead. During an ad break I switched back to 70 and the audio was fine again (both during the advertisements and once the program restarted).

Is this kind of thing a common occurrence?

Hey Shonky,

I think that was a one off occurance from Channel 7. It didn't last long, and it is certainly the first time I have heard that problem on my 7a.

Get this!

I noticed it while watching The Office on HD10!!!

Of course it got real bad during the ads but it was happening ever so slightly during that TV show. Switched over to other channels, sound was fine.

Weird!!

Edited by SHIZM

am over the moon with my new 50" 70A but have e problem with the sound that is starting to get annoying. It only ever happens in an add or while watching a Divx movie. the sound sort of breaks up and sounds distrorted, it allways happens on channel 10 when they have the channel 10 add on advertising whats coming on next etc.

any ideas? i thought that becuase its a Digital signal it was either received or not ie there was no sort of "bad" signal possible?

I'm also getting this problem with the end credits especially on channel 12 (ten hd)with my Panasonic TH-42PX70A . My picture quality has also degraded . The skin colour is ridiculous, its like im watching a cheap lcd screen. Ive checked all the setting even done a factory reset and still the same. Have i bought a lemon?

i've noticed it more when using the tv's speakers - it's a lot less noticeable when using my receiver (i actually have to listen out for it to notice it - whereas the tv's speakers i notice even when not trying, if you get what i mean...).

What are the chances of getting a refund you think, Where do we stand? the TV is obviously got some problems and the fact that its happening on differing channels (although mainly 12) it has to be the TV at fault.

strictly speaking, legally, the tv would have to be unfit for its purpose to get a refund. i doubt you'd be able to establish that it's unfit for its purpose (since the tv itself works, and the sound breakup is very very rare - and it's only on the hd channels).

however, you could try the dissatisfaction line with panasonic/the retailer and aim to get a refund on the basis that you're not satisfied with the product - no legal obligation to give you your money back, but they might do so for reputational/goodwill reasons. but based on the crappy responses from panasonic so far, it might be a stretch for them to admit it's the tv's fault and give you a refund!

peronsally, the "fault" doesn't bother me enough to ask for a refund - would love it if it were able to be fixed by a simple software upgrade though.

What are the chances of getting a refund you think, Where do we stand? the TV is obviously got some problems and the fact that its happening on differing channels (although mainly 12) it has to be the TV at fault.

Can't hurt to talk to your retailer of purchase and see if you can strike a deal

I'm also getting this problem with the end credits especially on channel 12 (ten hd)with my Panasonic TH-42PX70A . My picture quality has also degraded . The skin colour is ridiculous, its like im watching a cheap lcd screen. Ive checked all the setting even done a factory reset and still the same. Have i bought a lemon?

Skin color can be changed so you couldn't have checked all the settings....

There are different color temps like warm, normal, cool...and other things you may or may not want to turn on/off. You just need to mess around with it..whatever you have it set at is obviously not right to your eye...

Then again, you could have a lemon...

Ok did any one else watch the channel 7 news on Sunday Night....

On the footy wrap up up screen, (Green background with patterns showing the footy scores), the sound cut in and out and crackled......but only on that screen. When it reverted back to Tim Watson the sound was fine.

Did anyone else see this happen? If not keep an eye out on the weekend for the wrap up of this week finals games on 7HD (70).

I'm getting this problem as well (However I have a 700a LCD), its mainly on channel 10's promos like others mention, however changing to Ten SD has no problem. Whats the deal? Is it to do with Dolby Digital sound used on HD as opposed to MPEG on SD?

Well then...

Panasonic have given me the 2 repair center's details closest to my home...

Store 1 - they are not aware of this issue........

Store 2 - The center was not currently equipted to remove a 50" plasma as their van is not big enough so they gave me another shops details........... LOL

Store 3 - 2 week minimum wait...........

Here's a funny one too, Panasonic Warranty will no be covering the cost of the in home call out fee.

Therefor if any of us with TV issue's want to have a repairman come to our house, we will be having to outlay the call out fee.

What a load of bollocks..................What's the F'ING story Panasonic.

Edited by Ice_Magik

Well then...

Store 2 - The center was not currently equipted to remove a 50" plasma as their van is not big enough so they gave me another shops details........... LOL

Here's a funny one too, Panasonic Warranty will no be covering the cost of the in home call out fee.

Therefor if any of us with TV issue's want to have a repairman come to our house, we will be having to outlay the call out fee.

Go to the ACCC website,

download a" letter of demand"

fill it out & send it to panasonic ,They will be falling over them selfs to help you

Well then...

So this is to repair the issue? Seems to me they haven't figured out what the problem is so I don't imagine they can repair it yet..

Do they understand it's not specific to your television and that all of them have this problem? They can take ANY new 7xxa series and it will display this problem with the TUNER. Taking it in might highlight the issue because the service center sees it but it doesn't need to be yours...and that basic understanding needs to be clear.

I just experienced this on a TH42PX7A tonight during the closing credits for the The Simpsons (it was one where they were talking) on TEN HD. It was only just noticable really. It wasn't as if it you couldn't understand it. Just did it again on a governement ad on TEN HD during the fast "spoken by ..." bit at the end.

A bit annoying really. Obviously the problem does exist though. Unfortunately it will be quite hard to "prove" to Panasonic since it will only happen on based on transmitted programming i.e. you can't record anything.

Fortunately I'll generally be using a HTPC PVR but occasionally the HD tuner will get some use particularly with the world cup coming up since my PVR can't really decode HD (until I upgrade it).

edit: this is using the built in speakers so not using the optical out and an AVR.

Hi Shonky,

You can actually record the problem. Use the AV outputs on the rear of the TV into your PVR AV inputs and your recording will include all the audio breakup. I guess it's recording the symptom not the cause but does indicate a problem exists.

I tried this the other night using my Panasonic PVR and it worked a treat.

Law & Order is a good program to record as the breakup is clearly evident during the program and during commercials etc.

I'm keeping the recording as evidence of the problem but I'm just waiting to see if Panasonic resolve the issue (I logged the fault with them about two weeks ago).

Regards

Just got this email reply.

"Dear Anthony.

Thank you for taking the time to contact Panasonic with your enquiry.

The details ion regards to the interference with HD Channel is not a fault with the Plasma TV. It is not limited to Panasonic Products. Other Manufactured Digital Product are experiencing the Same Issues. We are working with the TV Broadcaster to Diagnose the Cause.

We will need to gather further details from you in regards to the issue.

Please contact Panasonic Customer Care on 132600 for further support.

We trust this information will be of assistance. However, if you do require further support Panasonic have a very informative product web site located at www.panasonic.com.au . Many of our customers have found that most of their questions can be answered here with our excellent Frequently Asked Questions section - for this, please see the following link: http://www.panasonic.com.au/support/faqs/ . .

Kind Regards,

Panasonic Customer Care"

Thats basically what everyone else has been receiving i imagine.