Panasonic 70a Sound Breakup Problem

Guest Hybrid

I am another 50PX70A onwer who is experiencing these sound problems. I am not using an amp - just using the inbuilt speakers in the screen. I have not noticed that problem only occuring on TEN. I will have to pay more attention now.

Presuming it is the internal tuner, has anyone actually connected a HD STB or PVR to the screen via Component or HDMI to see if the problem is still evident? This would tell you whether the issue was related to the display or the tuner.

On another note; I still get the screen brightness changing by itself from time to time. It seems to dim and brighten slightly by itself without warning. Has anyone else experienced this or am I on my own with this one?

Edited by Hybrid

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i didnt notice it before because it only lasted for 1-2 secs on a given add and i usually have my sound system on. but i have experienced the same thing on a700 yesterday. the break up sounds like those voltage clipings on a speaker system. usually happens when your speaker is underpowered. i'm just speculating here but i have the feeling it might be due to the fluctuation of voltages during those dark with highly contrast letterings seens.

Hi All,

First post and unfortunately it is on this topic.

Purchased a TH-42PX7A two weeks ago and experiencing the same problems as mentioned in this thread. I am Sydney based (Randwick) and have very good signal levels. Like others, problem is most noticable during shows like "Law & Order" when they flash white text on a black background between scenes and during the credits.

I know this is not a ground breaking post but I just wanted to register that I have the same issue.

Cheers,

Chris

Hello all. unfortunately id like to join the club. had my 42PX7A for about 2 weeks now, and i get the same problem as everyone else. so far ive only noticed it on 10HD during government ads, credits, idol (missus watches it) and law and order as mentioned above. mines connected to my sony amp via optical cable. hopefully someone figures it out.

Hello all. unfortunately id like to join the club. had my 42PX7A for about 2 weeks now, and i get the same problem as everyone else. so far ive only noticed it on 10HD during government ads, credits, idol (missus watches it) and law and order as mentioned above. mines connected to my sony amp via optical cable. hopefully someone figures it out.

no need to hide behind the better half about your addiction to australian idol! we all love it!

On another note; I still get the screen brightness changing by itself from time to time. It seems to dim and brighten slightly by itself without warning. Has anyone else experienced this or am I on my own with this one?

Hey Hybrid, that brightness problem is most likely due to the POWER SAVER option being enabled. I had the same thing until I disabled it in setup.

Ok I rang Panasonic as per their email to give additional information. The fellow confirmed that they are well aware of the problem and this forum. He took my details and said they will call with any progress on the sound issue.

So I suggest you all ring and do the same thing so they will cotnact you. Sooner the better to get your name on the list. Especially if they have to come out and do a software upgrade. Might be a first in best dressed scenario with waiting times on a techo visit.

Well at least there has been some sort of progress now.

So does it also annoy anyone that the 'Display Information banner' doesn't work the way they say it should on page 11 of the

PX7a manual?

I also went into Clive Peeters today where I bought my set from and sat through some painful Oprah waiting for a commercial. The problem was also evident in the store with full signal strength. The sales people have not been informed of this issue. One of the guys did mention on his LG that he had a hell of a time watching Idol last night, not with a sound drop problem, but a sound sync issue. He couldn't get rid of it.

I have recently bought the TX-32LXD70A LCD.....

Fantastic TV, but have experienced the problems mentioned in this thread.

It is evident especially on channel 10 hd during the government ads (when the black screen comes on), the new Rugby World Cup ads and only experienced this problem seldomly on certain white screens. A mate of mine bought one too and has experienced the same problem. My question is, where do we stand on this problem?

Guest Shonkster

Just to let you folks know, I've contacted DBA about the issue in the hope of getting the issue resolved since neither party is admitting liability at this time. Here was the response.

Thanks for your email and apologies for the somewhat slow response.

DBA has been in contact with Network Ten Engineering who has indicated that

the problem which is being experienced in relation to the operation of

Panasonic Plasma televisions and the Network 10 HD service is currently

under investigation by Panasonic Australia and Network Ten.

DBA's understanding is that at the present time, the cause of the issue has

not yet been isolated but both parties are working together in an effort to

determine a) the nature of the problem and B) what fix or fixes by either or

both parties may be needed.

In the event that DBA receives further information in relation to this

issues, we will endeavour to provide you with a further update by email.

I hope that this is of some small assistance in relation to your enquiry.

Edited by Shonkster

For anyone thats getting the sound drop outs, are you also finding the sound drops out when you switch lights off to the room?

I think your problem is unrelated. The sound doesn't drop out, it's distorted during certain commercials. Your problem may be caused by poor reception or bad aerial connections.

For anyone thats getting the sound drop outs, are you also finding the sound drops out when you switch lights off to the room?

Yeah i get that occasionally, but agree with EVS. Not related to the problem.

Electricity switching onand off can cause interference to the air waves. My dishwasher switches over alot during its cycle and can cause the odd flicker of the picture and sound. That's just the nature of our technology and we have to live wih it.

If the interference is caused in the power line though, you could try a power board with a noise filter built in. That could help reduce or stop it.

Guest Hybrid
Hey Hybrid, that brightness problem is most likely due to the POWER SAVER option being enabled. I had the same thing until I disabled it in setup.

I don't think it is kinga. I too thought it was this initially. I have had POWER SAVE set to OFF for over a month and I am still noticing it at least once per day.

I just yesterday received my new 50px70a and unfortunatly am reporting that I am also experiancing these problems. I have noticed it also happens when they are giving the rating before a show is about to start. (All white background small amount of blue wrighting ie. M15+). I noticed i got all 10s when it was doing the auto tuning and i have excellent signal strength. My Yamaha 5.1 receiver is connected via optical to the tv and it seams to go crazy when it happens switching between Dolby & PCM trying to cope with the lack of signal. My previous Samsung TV was connected via an external HD set top box and i had no such problems. I might connect it up tonight and see how it goes on the Panasonic.

• Volunteer
I just yesterday received my new 50px70a and unfortunatly am reporting that I am also experiancing these problems. I have noticed it also happens when they are giving the rating before a show is about to start. (All white background small amount of blue wrighting ie. M15+). I noticed i got all 10s when it was doing the auto tuning and i have excellent signal strength. My Yamaha 5.1 receiver is connected via optical to the tv and it seams to go crazy when it happens switching between Dolby & PCM trying to cope with the lack of signal. My previous Samsung TV was connected via an external HD set top box and i had no such problems. I might connect it up tonight and see how it goes on the Panasonic.

Join the club Purcho. :(

Hopefully they will find a fix soon.

Cheers,

Karen

I found out last nite that its not just channel 10. I decided to watch Sea Patrol on channel 9 in HD. The sound would break up when going to or coming back from commercials, but that was due to going on and off Dolby and was bearable. but then during the credits, it just went crazy. I havent yet noticed it on 7.

I have had mine for just a few days and so far, no problems, But I am disappointed with the overall sound quality which

to me sounds on the "tinny side" and as for the so called Surround Sound system, (Virtual Surround?), it's a dead loss,

I don't know why they could have put the same system in as in the 700a.

My 6 year old Grundig Xentia 4:3 sounds better but has a woofer and a tweeter, and the 70a has only the one speaker

each end and at the bottom of set instead of at sides.

Yes, why didn't I check all this before I buy? Well I was going on glowing reports from various sources which were based

on the previous 600a series.

I have had mine for just a few days and so far, no problems, But I am disappointed with the overall sound quality which

to me sounds on the "tinny side" and as for the so called Surround Sound system, (Virtual Surround?), it's a dead loss,

I don't know why they could have put the same system in as in the 700a.

My 6 year old Grundig Xentia 4:3 sounds better but has a woofer and a tweeter, and the 70a has only the one speaker

each end and at the bottom of set instead of at sides.

Yes, why didn't I check all this before I buy? Well I was going on glowing reports from various sources which were based

on the previous 600a series.

Get a real sound system then. If you're expecting great sound out of ANY TV speakers, you're dreaming. It doesn't exist. If you want better sound then buy real speakers.

If it helps..think about it a different way. The most important part of the panel is the PQ right? It's what you're spending the money on (I hope). You're talking about the cheap and basically throw in portion of the TV. Given two TV's of equivalent price, one with better PQ and crap speakers vs. one with worse PQ and good speakers, the one with better PQ should win out everytime.....or else you're weighing the 2% piece more than the 98% piece.

I just experienced this on a TH42PX7A tonight during the closing credits for the The Simpsons (it was one where they were talking) on TEN HD. It was only just noticable really. It wasn't as if it you couldn't understand it. Just did it again on a governement ad on TEN HD during the fast "spoken by ..." bit at the end.

A bit annoying really. Obviously the problem does exist though. Unfortunately it will be quite hard to "prove" to Panasonic since it will only happen on based on transmitted programming i.e. you can't record anything.

Fortunately I'll generally be using a HTPC PVR but occasionally the HD tuner will get some use particularly with the world cup coming up since my PVR can't really decode HD (until I upgrade it).

edit: this is using the built in speakers so not using the optical out and an AVR.

Edited by Shonky*

I just watched Dodgeball on Seven HD (70) which worked fine. When it changed to Alias after Dodgeball, sound went to just white noise (the "Dolby Digital" stream). All other channels worked fine and so did 7 (using the "MPEG" stream). Even after changing back it was still the same. I couldn't select the MPEG stream on the HD channel making 70 unwatchable. As mentioned previously I don't have an AVR so I don't know what was coming out of the audio out.

So I started watching the SD channel instead. During an ad break I switched back to 70 and the audio was fine again (both during the advertisements and once the program restarted).

Is this kind of thing a common occurrence?