Panasonic 70a Sound Breakup Problem

It is not only happening on 10HD though it is also happening on the other HD channels as well. It also does not happen with my Humax HD set top box or the Toshiba one I borrowed from a friend just to make sure, so it is definitely a problem with the Pana sets.

Cheers,

Karen.

Yeah, i knew that Karen...i was just being sarcastic.

I don't know how they can fix this issue other then a firmware upgrade or better yet - a recall!!

Cross your fingers...

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Volunteer
Yeah, i knew that Karen...i was just being sarcastic.

I don't know how they can fix this issue other then a firmware upgrade or better yet - a recall!!

Cross your fingers...

Sorry SHIZM. :blush:

Cheers,

Karen.

I also spoke to Panasonic today & the tech confirmed that they are aware of the problem. At this stage there are no firmware upgrades but if they do come up with any in the future, they'll be done automatically via the auto update feature.

I was just doing some testing, and the solution provided by someone earlier certainly does seem to work. If you go to the sound menu, and change the spdif selection to PCM instead of Auto, the dropouts seem to stop. The sound loses some fidelity over the dolby track but it does seem like a passable interim solution (at least for me). I'm not sure if this would work if you're using the built in speakers in the tele instead of a separate receiver though.

I also spoke to Panasonic today & the tech confirmed that they are aware of the problem. At this stage there are no firmware upgrades but if they do come up with any in the future, they'll be done automatically via the auto update feature.

My mate works for clive peeters and has sold crap loads of these tv's, all brands. He said he has never seen any manufacturer perform a software update at all let alone via the auto update feature. Sounds like another fob off.

My mate works for clive peeters and has sold crap loads of these tv's, all brands. He said he has never seen any manufacturer perform a software update at all let alone via the auto update feature. Sounds like another fob off.

If there were to by any firmware upgrades they can either do it Via the internet, thorugh the auto update feature or they could mail a CD out or something. They can send any firmware updates Via that auto update feature but it wouldnt be likely they would be doing it anytime soon. Things like this always take time to get sorted because the manufacturer seems to wait till they are inundated with people complaining about this. My suggestion is to write, email and call to panasonic to register this problem.

Guest Shonkster

Hmmmmm.....this is my first post, and guess what it is about, the same problem everyone else is having, I have the 42PX7A, and this audio issue has been driving me insane. Channel 12 (Ten HD Melb) tends to be worse than any other channel, and it tends to occur for me when there is static content, such as Ten's solid black ads as others have mentioned. If the content is moving, the audio very rarely misses a beat.

From my checking, the audio cutting out only occurs on the optical out which is being fed to a Yamaha RX-V2700 (also occured on my previous amp, a Yamaha RX-V795), if I turn up the volume on the TV and use the internal speakers, the audio appears to be ok most of the time, but sometimes it is garbled. As far as I can tell the amp is just ignoring the digital audio signal from the TV rather than trying to decode it.

I guess I need to get on the blower and start complaining to ch10 and Panasonic in the hope that someone pulls their finger out and fixes the issue. :rolleyes:

Got my 50 700A last night. Settled down for a night of telly and watched Thank God Your Here and House on 10 HD

And yep - it's definitely an issue. Very noticeable on the BRAUN shaver ads when they have white BRAUN text on black background. And also heard on the government ads with white text on black background.

Only heard it on that channel. Don't know if it happens on other channels yet.

When the sound breaks up, it sounds like stuttering, or someone trying to speak under water. By the way - I'm in Syndey (northern beaches)

There are no replacement TVs and getting a different one from the stores won't help. If Panasonic wants to fix it they'll have to fix the tuner by either replacing it or via software update. I HOPE they can fix it via software update but to be honest, it's such a small part of my viewing I don't really care...I'm sure for some it's a bigger deal but the few times it happens (and only on FTA), it's annoying but not a big deal...

There are no replacement TVs and getting a different one from the stores won't help. If Panasonic wants to fix it they'll have to fix the tuner by either replacing it or via software update. I HOPE they can fix it via software update but to be honest, it's such a small part of my viewing I don't really care...I'm sure for some it's a bigger deal but the few times it happens (and only on FTA), it's annoying but not a big deal...

I understand where your coming from Polymer, however its not just the problem that myself and others are concerned about. I agree the problem is minimal, BUT the TV shoudl work as stated out of the box. We aren't talking about a $200 cash converter TV. We are talking about thousands of dollars TV's that people like myself have saved up for and forked over very hard earned dollars. And then only to be fobbed off by the manufacturer with total denial of the problem. So it's now just the problem that's annoying. It's the cash forked over and the lack of support passing blame onto the networks, as well as having the knowledge that other Brands are working fine. Even my PC HDTV $70 tuner doesn't drop the audio.

So it's the principal of the whole thing as well.

There. I said my peace.

:P

I understand where your coming from Polymer, however its not just the problem that myself and others are concerned about. I agree the problem is minimal, BUT the TV shoudl work as stated out of the box. We aren't talking about a $200 cash converter TV. We are talking about thousands of dollars TV's that people like myself have saved up for and forked over very hard earned dollars. And then only to be fobbed off by the manufacturer with total denial of the problem. So it's now just the problem that's annoying. It's the cash forked over and the lack of support passing blame onto the networks, as well as having the knowledge that other Brands are working fine. Even my PC HDTV $70 tuner doesn't drop the audio.

There. I said my peace.

WELL SAID & I totally agree

There. I said my peace.

WELL SAID & I totally agree

There. I said my peace.

Absolutley - If I wanted a sub standard sounding TV I would have gone and bought a conia or the like, instead I went with Panasonic thinking that I was buying a product with good backup support but how wrong I was :(

Well, it sounds like they've recognized that there is an issue. What exactly they'll do about it..who knows...

I'm not in disagreement that Panasonic should fix the issue...I definitely think they should....Would I still buy this TV again? Probably...My opinion is that the Tuner eventually becomes a non-issue (In the US I've NEVER used the HD Tuner because HD comes over Cable) so what I'm concerned about most is the PQ.

I want Panasonic to fix it....my concerns would be if they A: Replace it with a model made in China.... To be honest I think I'd rather keep this one than that... or B: Replace them with refurbs which again, I'd rather keep my existing one.

If they did it by software or replacing the Tuner...the concern I'd have with replacing the tuner is, once people open things up, mess around with the insides...is something else going to break?

I'm truly hoping for a Software fix.....Again, that's just my opinion....everyone else probably has their own.

• Volunteer

Well I got a reply today, to my original email to Panasonic (via the website) support, but nothing from the guy I actually spoke to.

Dear Karen,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Panasonic with your enquiry.

The details ion regardsto the interference with HD Channel is not a fault with the Plasma TV. It is notlimited to Panasonic Products. Other Manufactured Digital Product areexperiencing the Same Issues. We are workingwith the TV Broadcaster toDiagnose the Cause.

We will need to gatherfurther detailsfromyou in regards to the issue.

Pleasecontact Panasonic Customer Care on 132600 for furthersupport.

We trust this information will be of assistance. However, if you do require further support Panasonic have a very informative product web site located at www.panasonic.com.au . Many of our customers have found that most of their questions can be answered here with our excellent Frequently Asked Questions section - for this, please see the following link: http://www.panasonic.com.au/support/faqs/ . .

Kind Regards,

Panasonic Customer Care

www.panasonic.com.au

Cheers,

Karen

Watching Australian Idol tonight and the sound break up problem became incredibly irritating - mainly because there were so many ads.

Drove me completely to distraction. 10HD seems to be the worst, but I've also noticed it on 9HD and 7HD as well - but I've probably noticed it more on 10HD due to the fact that the main programs I watch are "Thank God Your Here" "House" and "Aussie Idol" ie. all 10 programs.

It's all fine until the ads come on - and then any screen with large amount of one colour ie black screens with some white text, or white screens with black text - hey, I've even noticed it on white screens with green text. Just only ever seems to happen when theres two colours on the screen and majority of background is either black or white. T-h-e s-o-u-n-d s-e-e-m-s t-o s-t-u-t-t-e-r (as though the sound drops in and out)

AARRRGGHH.