Panasonic 70a Sound Breakup Problem

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could I suggest that anyone suffering with this problem at the very least send a report of the problem to http://www.panasonic.com.au/support/customer%5Fcare/ via the online forms. Anything to make Panasonic more aware....

Thanks for that link, I just send out an enquiry:

"Hi,

I bought the Panasonic VIERA TH-42PX70A about a month ago, and everything is fine except one very strange problem which apparently happens to more people than myself with this model.

During certain adds, in particular "authorised by australian government" adds on channel 10HD the sound distorts and sounds similar to someone talking under water. I can confirm that my signal strength is optimal (I have various HDTV digital tuners to test without issue.)

Is this a known issue with this model? (and the 50" too apparently) It appers to be some sort of compatibility problem with the inbuilt digital tuner.

Here is a link to a forum discussion thread dedicated to this topic: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=51316&st=0

Please advise if there are any plans of action from Panasonic to address this issue.

Regards,"

• Volunteer

I too have logged a complaint with Panasonic and added a link to this thread. Who knows if enough of us complain they may actually do something.

Cheers,

Karen.

Still no reply from Panasonic yet. Will call them later today.

On a side note has anyone also noticed on their models that when you are watching digital tv on the panel that you cannot browse the EPG of other channels on the Banner Tv Guide. It just says "press OK to change channel". All of my friends Plasma Digital actually let you browse what is on the channel in the information bar and then you can press OK to select that channel if you like the program that is listed there. All i can do is look at NOW and NEXT on the channel I am currently viewing. My Mates can look at NOW and NEXT on ALL channels while watching another.

I beleive this is another software fault.

My model is TH-42PX7A. The sales person told me this is an EVENT model.

Ok I just rang Panasonic. She reckons that it is the network cos the other stations work fine. She said that the networks are currently doing alot of testing in preperation for the analog network shutdown. She reckons call Channel 10 to see if they are doing any testing. Will try this later.

On the EPG topic she was unsure and is going to talk to a tech later today and call me back.

Ok Panasonic called me back and she said that the EPG will only display on the channel you are watching. She said they tested the same model in there. She added that it is due to a Simple Tuner. I am most disapointed by this. My Windows Media Centre shows more TV guide info than my TV!

I will add one thing though. It was nice to talk to a customer support section in Panasonic that was IN Australia and not India.

Now I have called channel 10 in Brisbane and the nice lady there explained if there was a problem with their signal they would be inundated with calls. She suggested checking the antenna fro corroded terminals etc as that can affect different channels differentlt, due to different signal frequency. I know this is definately true with analog but not sure on digital.

The only other option she could suggest is to try a new antenna that is dedicatd to digital. I may do this yet as I need another antenna for the rumpus.

Also the big question is: Where is everyone in this forum from? It may be a localised problem. I live at the base of Upper Mt Gravatt lookout mountian which has big antennas on top of the mountain. I don't know what they are for but they look like huge drums. They could be affeecting the Ten HD signal in my area.

Any other ideas people? I beleive I have exhausted all possibilites except for trying a new antenna and waiting for the fellow in this forum to have his TV replaced and see if his is any better.

Edited by kinga

re sound issue, it's definitely not a channel 10 thing or a geography thing - i think it affects all of the panasonics - and seems related to the built-in tuner (some have connected a separate set top box and have no issues). it pretty much only happens when there's black and white text only on the screen, so isn't too big a deal (well, for me anyway). it happens whether you're using the tv's speakers, or whether you have the optical out connected to your receiver.

would be interested to know if panasonic can actually do anything about it (eg upgrade to software)??

I am at Calamvale and have the same problem and its not Channel 10 thing cause on my 2nds digital TV it works fine. Defiantely a Panasonic problem and although it only happens when the screen has black or white backgrounds and text it really shouldn't happen when i forked out $3k for a TV.

Looks like im not the only one then:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=52614&hl=

Im in the northern suburbs of Melbourne.

Whats the telephone number you are all using to contact Panasonic?...

Phone number is 132600.

I agree with Wightnightoz. Few thousand for a TV and can't get it sorted or have anyone hold themselves accountable.

Channel 10 pretty much said it's no way their issue as they would have the Government on their behinds, they have to deliver best quality service/signal possible or pay the consequences.

I too am having the sound break up problem with a 70A about 3 months old.

Only seems to happen on 9HD and 10HD (channels 90 & 12). Definitely does not occur on SD or analog channels.

I am located in the northern suburbs of Perth, signal strength and quality is indicated as at maximum.

I lodged an online enquiry with Panasonic last night (20 Aug), no reply at this stage.

I might also be imagining it but it seems to be getting worse or maybe I'm just getting more annoyed by it and am more conscious of it happening.

As others have stated it's a pretty poor show for a $3k+ tv.

Edited by rmackenz

I called Panasonic 'Customer Care.'

"Im having some sort of problem with the tv, when i have a white background, and black text on the screen. ie rating warning, the sound gets very distorted/staticy and sounds terrible. I've been reading that this is a widespread problem and not just a 1 off."

"I've been in the electronic business a long time, dont beleive what you read in forums, they are very discredited....Call your retailer, its up to them in the first 24 days."

End of conversation

Edited by Ice_Magik

• Volunteer

Well, I have just contacted Panasonic customer care and spoken to a friendly and helpful guy who is going to look into the problem. I explained that there are several cases of this happening around the country and that it has been reported here on DTV, told him the exact problem ie: black backgraound white writing and white backgraound blackwriting on HD channels causes sound distortion. Told him also that I had sent an email several days ago and had no reply.

He has asked me to email him directly so he can look into it, so will do that now and wait for his reply.

Will post back as soon as I know anything.

Cheers,

Karen

I'm having the exact same problem on my new 50PX70A too. Happens during the credits of the simpsons every night and a few other shows/ads on channel 10 HD.

Have an optical cable running from the tv to my onkyo amp. I'll email panasonic today some time.

Just rang Panasonic. Spoke to someone who advised me that there is nothing wrong with the Panasonic Plasma TV tuners.

She stated it was a problem with the broadcast signal and to keep watching http://www.dba.org.au/ for any updates.

I advised her this seems to be only happening with Panasonic TV's - she said "no its affecting all TV's"

Well its not bloody affecting my Samsung 42".

I also advised her that its an issue isolated to Panasonic TV's to which again she replied "no its a problem with the HD broadcasting signal that the television stations have to rectify"

This is ridiculous.

This is ridiculous.

Yes, that is ridiculous. Very poor of their support people to immediately isolate the issue being with the broadcast. This could almost lead to a recall once they wake up and finally realise/admit their running out dodgy tuners in the 7x series.

Yes, that is ridiculous. Very poor of their support people to immediately isolate the issue being with the broadcast. This could almost lead to a recall once they wake up and finally realise/admit their running out dodgy tuners in the 7x series.

Maybe its time we started ringing and demanding something be done? Rather than take their lame excuses.

Well im ringing back tonight when i get home from work. How do we know there is an issue with the broadcasters signal? Just because she told me so over the phone?

Pfftttttt yeah ok, like...whateverrrr.

Until i get a response from Channel 10 saying "yes, we are aware that our signal is stuffed" then i will keep hassling them. Until then i am lead to believe the plasma TV i paid a lot of money for is faulty.

• Volunteer
Well im ringing back tonight when i get home from work. How do we know there is an issue with the broadcasters signal? Just because she told me so over the phone?

Until i get a response from Channel 10 saying "yes, we are aware that our signal is stuffed" then i will keep hassling them. Until then i am lead to believe the plasma TV i paid a lot of money for is faulty.

It is not only happening on 10HD though it is also happening on the other HD channels as well. It also does not happen with my Humax HD set top box or the Toshiba one I borrowed from a friend just to make sure, so it is definitely a problem with the Pana sets.

Cheers,

Karen.

Edited by Kazz

Please let us know how you go shizm

I have a bigger problem. 2 minutes after turing on my brand new TH-50PX70A about a third of the screen went a strange colour(was on a menu screen) and when switching back to tv stations vertical coloured lines appeared in the same area. Tried turning off the set. No joy. This continued for an hour and a half on all screen inputs as well as menu screens. Then it disappeared.

Has been fine since saturday night.

Has anyone else experienced this. Very unsettling on $3000 tv!

Get on to your retailer straight away, tell em' you want a new one ! !

Edited by shepp