Panasonic 70a Sound Breakup Problem

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed the sound crackling on CH 12 during ads tonight on my TH-42PX70A.

I didn't notice it using the SD Tuner or my Digicrystal PVR. My TV reception is brilliant so I'm positive it's not that. Sounds very sus that so many people have the same problem. Does anybody know if these units are firmware upgradable? Does the "system update" feature actually do anything? Lets hope Pana is working on an upgrade.

I've noticed one other HD sound issue: I have the L+R stereo audio outputs connected to my Pro-logic amp (just can't part with the dear old Pioneer!) & the levels are way lower than the SD & Analogue tuners. Anybody know how to get around this?

I've recently bought a 7a and ive noticed sound distorting on white background with black text or black text on a white background (Via DVB only). Anyone heard about any solutions to it?

Picked up a 42" 7a 2 weeks ago. Tonight I noticed some audio "crackling" during the credits of Medium on channel 10 HD :wacko: . When the credits were briefly interrupted by a promo voice-over, the sound is perfect. No problems noted during 10 HD shows, other FTA channels or DVDs - in fact the picture and audio is otherwise fantastic.

With so many of us reporting the same problem what could the problem possibly be? - ie. Crackling or sound distortion during comercials etc but fine during broadcast shows.

TV at fault or Bad Broadcast? although I have no problems on my Bedroom LCD using a STB so I am leaning towards fault with the Panasonic set.

Thoughts?

I think there's probably some incompatibility w/ the broadcast and the tuner in the Panasonic. If it starts showing up during shows, I'd be concerned. For the few times it happens (and only when I'm watching FTA), and on the content it happens at (some credits and some commercials), I'm not all that concerned about it. Long term, Australia will eventually have HD over Foxtel and it'll be a non issue even for those commericials. I don't believe there have been any problems using a different tuner or cable box..it's specific to FTA and certain things on FTA.

Hi Guy's,

I assume you are all using the Digital Optical Out into an amplifier of some description.

I started this topic 2 months ago.... My panel has been at the shop trying to be fixed for the last 5 weeks. I got it back the other day, and guess what.... even though the shop said the problem was fixed... it's NOT.

So, not being happy, I rang the place of purchase, and asked for a replacement, for the third time, the guy was real good, and said he would look in to it... long story short... I got a call back and was told to ring Panasonic for an authorisation code for the replacement... the guy on the other end of the phone said he couldn't do that, but he'd look into it for me.

He rang me back today and said I couldn't get a code... no surprises there... but, here's the clincher, they have only had 3 other calls with this problem in Australia, but supposedly Panasonic and Yamaha, I have a Yamaha amp, are looking in to it to find out who is at fault. So... I suggest you all get on the phone TODAY and make as much noise as you can so we can get this sorted out.

Dale.

Hi Guy's,

I assume you are all using the Digital Optical Out into an amplifier of some description.

I started this topic 2 months ago.... My panel has been at the shop trying to be fixed for the last 5 weeks. I got it back the other day, and guess what.... even though the shop said the problem was fixed... it's NOT.

So, not being happy, I rang the place of purchase, and asked for a replacement, for the third time, the guy was real good, and said he would look in to it... long story short... I got a call back and was told to ring Panasonic for an authorisation code for the replacement... the guy on the other end of the phone said he couldn't do that, but he'd look into it for me.

He rang me back today and said I couldn't get a code... no surprises there... but, here's the clincher, they have only had 3 other calls with this problem in Australia, but supposedly Panasonic and Yamaha, I have a Yamaha amp, are looking in to it to find out who is at fault. So... I suggest you all get on the phone TODAY and make as much noise as you can so we can get this sorted out.

Dale.

funny - i've only noticed it when i'm NOT using my receiver! the funny warbled voices only occur when i'm using the tv's speakers - and it's not an issue when it's through my receiver (which is a harman kardon).

has anyone checked whether this happens with a different tv tuner plugged in?

Oh ok, my TV speakers are fine....

But I've tried everything, different cables, a different (Yamaha) amp, everything you could think of... the most frustrating thing is, for the last 5 weeks I've been watching the same setup with my 42" Pana without a problem while the 50's been at the shop.

just rang panasonic, explained the problem and they said sounds like a transmission problem I then explained that the same signal works fine on the other digital TV's within the house.

They gave me the number for the service Agent and said to get them to pop around and take a look. Now my only concern is I have to get the guy to wait until Channel 10 do one of their own promo commercials so I can show him what its doing..

I would guess you get it from your receiver cause you're using the optical out (which is coming from the TV Tuner in this case) to your receiver. I'm going to the guess the other person is bringing the signal into their receiver for the audio and then bringing it into the TV for the tuner..I could be wrong.

It definitely sounds like the Internal Tuner and some incompatibility w/ certain broadcasts....I'm pretty certain when 10 goes to Foxtel it won't show up there...

I would guess you get it from your receiver cause you're using the optical out (which is coming from the TV Tuner in this case) to your receiver. I'm going to the guess the other person is bringing the signal into their receiver for the audio and then bringing it into the TV for the tuner..I could be wrong.

It definitely sounds like the Internal Tuner and some incompatibility w/ certain broadcasts....I'm pretty certain when 10 goes to Foxtel it won't show up there...

i use the optical out from the tv to my receiver - i DO get the sound problem from the tv speakers, but NOT when the receiver is used - which is odd, i agree - since both are from the tv's internal tuner...

Hi Guy's,

Dale.

Dale, I'm using the stereo L+R outputs & feeding into a Pioneer Prologic amp. As far as I'm concerned, the problem is with the tuner itself.

Evan.

Yesterday I upgraded my old Prologic amp to a Yamaha Dolby Digital 5.1 unit. All was fine but at around 1PM today, the audio on all HD channels became extremely distorted. It was fine using the SD channels. To eliminate the new amp, I tried a DVD but that sounded perfect. Seeing as I'm using the same optical connection & amp for both SD & HD, it really looks like the tuner itself is the problem. Dale, maybe you should pass a link to this thread onto the people handling your warranty issue?

edit:

I forgot to mention, the audio came good next time I checked.

Yesterday I upgraded my old Prologic amp to a Yamaha Dolby Digital 5.1 unit. All was fine but at around 1PM today, the audio on all HD channels became extremely distorted. It was fine using the SD channels. To eliminate the new amp, I tried a DVD but that sounded perfect. Seeing as I'm using the same optical connection & amp for both SD & HD, it really looks like the tuner itself is the problem. Dale, maybe you should pass a link to this thread onto the people handling your warranty issue?

Update:

Today I discovered that this is a different issue to the crackling during some ads on CH12.

I found that the sound is only distorted if the program is transmitted in Dolby Digital. To get around this I've set the SPDIF setting from Auto to PCM. Does anybody else have issues with D. Digital?

I just brought a 700a panasonic 32" lcd, but i hear the same sound breakup problems, its only when there is a large areas of black (and sometimes but not often, white) on the screen on HD ch10. Things like myer advert logos where there is just white text and black background, or for example in a few shots in Futurama tonight when they where out in space. I am just using the standard internal speakers, with no other devices plugged into the TV.

Has anyone had any feedback on this issue? Ive tried changing various settings but doesnt help.

I noticed it on House tonight. I think it's the first time I've seen it on a regular show and not an advertisement.

It's most definitely a bug in the tuner though...seems like everyone has the same problem..particular with 10 and on the same commercials...

Vauxhall,

since reading your post I took note and must agree its only when there is a black or white background with little else on the screen then the sound garbles..

I have contacted Panasonic and they said that there has not been a large number of people complaining about this but approved a repairer to come out and take a look anyway. I think we all should call up and advise Panasonic there is a problem so they get off there arse and look for a solution.

I also get the occasional 'distorted/broken' sound problem on my 42" 70A - For me it happens on the "authorised by the aus government" adds, and other random places.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, it will be challenging to re-produce this on demand for a Panny tech. Has anyone tried recording this?

I've had my 42PX70A for a couple of weeks now, and I am also experiencing the sound breakup problem. I'm on the Gold Coast and have so far only noticed it on Channel 10 Gold Coast (HD12), and only in the channel 10 promos (white background) and some ads. If it was during the programs then I would definately be worried!

Since the reception in our area is not the greatest I thought that could be the problem, but from what I've read in this thread this has to be a problem with the Panasonic plasma. I'll give panasonic a call, and hopefully they'll realise that this is a more widespread problem that they'll no doubt admit.

whitenightoz, if you could inform what the outcome is after repairer visits that would be great. As myself and im sure others would be interested in knowing.

Could I suggest that anyone suffering with this problem at the very least send a report of the problem to http://www.panasonic.com.au/support/customer%5Fcare/ via the online forms. Anything to make Panasonic more aware....

Vauxhall,

since reading your post I took note and must agree its only when there is a black or white background with little else on the screen then the sound garbles..

I have contacted Panasonic and they said that there has not been a large number of people complaining about this but approved a repairer to come out and take a look anyway. I think we all should call up and advise Panasonic there is a problem so they get off there arse and look for a solution.

Edited by vauxhall

I am having exactly the same sound issue on my Panasonic 42" 2 months old has been doing since out of the box. Also mostly on add breaks or during the credits playing at the end of a show. Very occasionaly during the actual show.

The sound cuts out spiratically on both the TV and my Dolby Digital amp connected by optical. On the amp I can actually watch the signal drop in and out. Strange thing is the picture stays fine so I don't beleive it is a signal strength issue. I get 10 out of 10 signal strength on all channels.

I wonder if you can have too strong a signal?

Would having a powered antenna booster affect the signal?

Haven't contacted Panasonic yet. Will do very soon.

hi all,

Ive had my 42px70 for about 2 weeks and it does the same thing. I get the sound break up only on channel 10 HD and when there is a black background and white text. eg those domestic violence ads and the end of the government ads

My tv is being replaced (separate issue) in a week or 2 so ill let you know if it happens on the replacement set.