Sign in to follow this  
colojim

Dr Who New Series

Guest Eggcup The Daft

I haven't minded the "PC stuff" so much - and have quite liked the companion mix (there's more that could be done with them of course).

Monday's episode was the first where the Doctor being a woman was really acknowledged. It's a shame the plot, the ultra fast resolution, and the presence of the "King James" character made the whole thing garbage.

As with just about every single episode story since Tennant took over, the ones in this series have been too superficial. I preferred the original format where a story may have been in half hour episodes, but had time to be explored and the plot ideas exploited. The main problem with this series is that the episodes have been more superficial than ever. Until this week, every episode could have been pushed out to three 50 minute parts (or six of the old school episodes) and would have been so much better for it.

Having said that, I don't advocate going back to the 30 minute episode as such. Binge watchers would probably be annoyed. I'd just like more two part stories, please.

Edited by Eggcup The Daft
mixed quotation marks!

I'd like a female doctor to succeed. I neither like nor dislike any PC stuff. 

But I've found the writing generally to be uninspired. 

Bored and uninvolved I currently feel.

I'd been religiously recording each episode to watch when convenient and when I realised I didn't record last week's I... didn't really care. This is telling me something.

I just watch the latest episode and it was like the whole story was based on what would have been just small part of previous Dr Who episode.

The writing is crap so far for this series IMHO, it's nearly as bad as a Pirates of the Caribbean script, one idea and pad it out with mindless waffle for the majority of the running time.

We are into episode 6 or 7, and I have absolutely no feeling for any of the cast of this new DR Who, they could all disappear into a Black Hole and nobody would be missed, the DR included.

Guest Eggcup The Daft
1 hour ago, Tweaky said:

I just watch the latest episode and it was like the whole story was based on what would have been just small part of previous Dr Who episode.

The writing is crap so far for this series IMHO, it's nearly as bad as a Pirates of the Caribbean script, one idea and pad it out with mindless waffle for the majority of the running time.

We are into episode 6 or 7, and I have absolutely no feeling for any of the cast of this new DR Who, they could all disappear into a Black Hole and nobody would be missed, the DR included.

That was episode 9. At least two episodes were only forgettable :sorry:

Didn't the Doctor actually have to work things out from clues once? She's not really the lead character at the moment, she's more a plot explanation device with a magic wand to get the other characters to places where they do most of the work. By episode 12 I actually expect her to say "Oh, I know this one, I read it in the script!" because it is the only way she could work some of this stuff out. What was that at the beginning this week, eating soil to work out the date?

We've had the odd episode like that in the reboot, now it's looking like we are getting an entire series of it. Time to get out the Tom Baker era DVDs.

Edited by Eggcup The Daft