Sign in to follow this  
colojim

Dr Who New Series

Just a few points:

- The CGI can still be the same price if they shoot 1080p25 instead of 576p25, and downconvert it before giving it to the CGI guys.

And imagine, ten years from now, watching a hi-def disc of it.

"Wow, it looks amazing - but the effects look SO crap!"

Why add an unnecessary downconvert stage, and the expense of HD editing gear?

Sure, I'd like it to be in HD too. But the BBC's budget obviously doesn't run to paying The Mill to do HD CGI.

Nah, I meant downconvert it at the camera (or immediately afterward), so you therefore:

- edit in SD

- CGI in SD

- distribute in SD

But this way the source material looks noticeably better (halfway towards film quality), and more importantly equals the quality of the CGI effects. Currently the CGI always looks crisper and sharper than the camera material (well, it was more obvious in 2005; they may have improved the camera acquisition process in more recent episodes; hard to say).

CK.

I'm about to watch the new Season 8 episode Deep Breath in 720p... anyone seeing it at the cinema today?

It's on the ABC tonight and is on iview all day... :)

EE3uuxz.jpg

426054_843019015731003_73568320201839493

JSmith :ninja:

... the new Season 8 episode Deep Breath

Not really a spoiler but for those who like to experience an episode with absolutely no preconceptions... :-

Good episode! Though less of the personailty of the new doctor than one might have expected.

The episode endeavours to maintain the support of fans of the outgoing doctor. A lot of the time the script obliges the incoming 12th doctor, Peter Capaldi, to run around impetuously, and to talk in a zany way, mimicking the personality of the 11th doctor as interpreted by Matt Smith.* As mentioned at one point in this new episode by the Clara Oswald character, the doctor — the Matt Smith doctor she knows — has a short attention span.

No doubt in future episodes Peter Capaldi as the new doctor will be given greater freedom to carve out his own interpretation. Hopefully the teenagers and other fans who liked Matt Smith so much as the 11th doctor, will come around to supporting Peter Capaldi. As for those (like me) who found Matt Smith's interpretation of the role less than satisfactory, Peter Capaldi will be seen as a welcome opportunity to renew and strengthen the franchise.

* The personality is not merely the product of disorientation brought on by the regeneration, but identifiably Matt Smith like.

Edited by MLXXX

Saw it at the cinema yesterday. The extras before and after the episode weren't shown on TV, but I guess they will be shown as separate extras later on.

The segment with Strax describing all the doctors was hilarious.

Peter Cipaldi did a great job

Cant wait to see the whole series.

Watched the Last episode last night (02/07/2017), gotta wait till Boxing Day to see the new Doctor. Get to see the 1st Doctor again.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40624288

Jodie Whittaker has been announced as Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord - the first woman to be given the role. The new Doctor's identity was revealed in a trailer broadcast at the end of the Wimbledon men's singles final.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40626224

Few TV casting announcements can have been as long awaited as the name of the new Doctor Who and when the revelation finally came it sent social media into a frenzy.

_96965516_doctor_1.jpg

JSmith :ninja:

They really have lost the plot, haven't they?

I was looking forward to a new series that approximated the Real Dr Who, with an actor who looked like the Real Doctor. I can remember the early shows, including those the BBC carefully lost, and every Doctor since has seemed like an impostor to me.

Anyway, why didn't they pick Joanna Lumley again :lol:

Edited by Digital Penetration

25 minutes ago, Digital Penetration said:

I was looking forward to a new series that approximated the Real Dr Who, with an actor who looked like the Real Doctor. I can remember the early shows, including those the BBC carefully lost, and every Doctor since has seemed like an impostor to me.

Anyway, why didn't they pick Joanna Lumley again :lol:

A bit yes... I have no issue at all with a female actor playing a major role in anything, but the Dr Who series has never indicated that time lords can change gender, apart from when it happened to The Master recently and that seemed to have only been done to allow this new change.

Anyway, I expect Jodie will do quite well in the part as she is a fantastic actor and will certainly please many fans.

Some info from fans @ WP;

@54077469 CapnCoastie writes...
["It's also been referenced a few times on the canonical radio plays, I've heard."]

@54077475 NorthSiderTom writes...
["I believe it was mentioned off hand in the Doctor's Wife – The Corsair had changed genders."]

@54077526 SheldonE writes...
["And also in Hell Bent, one of the Timelord generals regenerates into a female."]

Fair calls... I stand corrected! :)

Well now I have no issue at all, it's probably about time then.

4 hours ago, Digital Penetration said:

What is the plot of Dr Who for it to be lost?

Is there a "Real Dr Who"? They/it regenerates to another body so the only part  that can be called real is their memory surely. The physical body is just the carrier for that essence which is The Doctor.