Dr Who New Series

Great show, PQ was superb, even on the SD channel.

Bit of cross advertising, both Torchwood, and Dr Who have references to the other.

It was great to see David Tennant back in action. This is a marquee show for the BBC and has a budget to match.

Writing, acting and direction were all top notch.

Everything Torchwood isn't. :lol:

Was it HD?

Upscaled yes, which on seeing the opening titles it all started to break up, as such SD was better.

However, Doctor Who IS NOT shot in HD, its an SD only show, main reason given is money and time, mostly for the CGI stuff which takes that much longer to do in HD (torchwood has much less CGI, hence why it is shot in HD).

Upscaled yes, which on seeing the opening titles it all started to break up, as such SD was better.

However, Doctor Who IS NOT shot in HD, its an SD only show, main reason given is money and time, mostly for the CGI stuff which takes that much longer to do in HD (torchwood has much less CGI, hence why it is shot in HD).

So there is no point waiting for an HD disc release of the show?

I would have hoped the BBC would have shown a bit more foresight and appreciated which direction the global television market is moving in.

It would have been a great cash cow for them in years to come.

So there is no point waiting for an HD disc release of the show?

I would have hoped the BBC would have shown a bit more foresight and appreciated which direction the global television market is moving in.

It would have been a great cash cow for them in years to come.

i doubt making in in HD would increase revenue enough to cover the cost of making it, might generate good karma but thats about it. As it stands the final epp was the most watched program in the UK on the night, proving that good content is still king

i remember the days of Blakes 7 when one of the props was an old photocopier, those were the days

:-)

Just a few points:

- The CGI can still be the same price if they shoot 1080p25 instead of 576p25, and downconvert it before giving it to the CGI guys. It would look a lot better this way, of course. (And Sony offered to lend them the cameras for free back in 2004).

- They actually shoot in 576i50 (much like the classic series) then run it through a filmising filter (at least as of 2005). The evidence is there if you watch the camera crew's preview monitors on Doctor Who Confidential via UKTV.

- The CGI guys actually do some (just a few) of the effects sequences in HD anyway, to make the quality more acceptable. An example is the World War II blimp scene with the London Blitz in the background.

- It's not entirely unfeasible that the first few years of this new series will be remastered and re-released in a better format many years in the future, on highdef DVDs. The original camera tapes, if they are kept (but I'm told they probably weren't), could be used to recreate a lot of the show in far better quality if the conversion was redone (even with ordinary home PCs) and/or the requirement for 25fps was scrapped.

- Torchwood on the other hand is shot properly on 1080p25 (4:2:0 colour notwithstanding; dunno, not sure at all there). It seems to be 1440x1080 only though. But converting it to 1080p50 would be a far simpler one-step process compared to getting the new Doctor Whos turned into optimum-quality 576p25 or 576p50.

CK.

Just a few points:

- The CGI can still be the same price if they shoot 1080p25 instead of 576p25, and downconvert it before giving it to the CGI guys.

And imagine, ten years from now, watching a hi-def disc of it.

"Wow, it looks amazing - but the effects look SO crap!"

Why add an unnecessary downconvert stage, and the expense of HD editing gear?

Sure, I'd like it to be in HD too. But the BBC's budget obviously doesn't run to paying The Mill to do HD CGI.

Nah, I meant downconvert it at the camera (or immediately afterward), so you therefore:

- edit in SD

- CGI in SD

- distribute in SD

But this way the source material looks noticeably better (halfway towards film quality), and more importantly equals the quality of the CGI effects. Currently the CGI always looks crisper and sharper than the camera material (well, it was more obvious in 2005; they may have improved the camera acquisition process in more recent episodes; hard to say).

CK.

• 7 years later...

... the new Season 8 episode Deep Breath

Not really a spoiler but for those who like to experience an episode with absolutely no preconceptions... :-

Good episode! Though less of the personailty of the new doctor than one might have expected.

The episode endeavours to maintain the support of fans of the outgoing doctor. A lot of the time the script obliges the incoming 12th doctor, Peter Capaldi, to run around impetuously, and to talk in a zany way, mimicking the personality of the 11th doctor as interpreted by Matt Smith.* As mentioned at one point in this new episode by the Clara Oswald character, the doctor — the Matt Smith doctor she knows — has a short attention span.

No doubt in future episodes Peter Capaldi as the new doctor will be given greater freedom to carve out his own interpretation. Hopefully the teenagers and other fans who liked Matt Smith so much as the 11th doctor, will come around to supporting Peter Capaldi. As for those (like me) who found Matt Smith's interpretation of the role less than satisfactory, Peter Capaldi will be seen as a welcome opportunity to renew and strengthen the franchise.

* The personality is not merely the product of disorientation brought on by the regeneration, but identifiably Matt Smith like.

Edited by MLXXX

Saw it at the cinema yesterday. The extras before and after the episode weren't shown on TV, but I guess they will be shown as separate extras later on.

The segment with Strax describing all the doctors was hilarious.

Peter Cipaldi did a great job

Cant wait to see the whole series.

• 2 years later...