Philips Dvp5980k Dvd Player

Im looking at picking up one of these DvP 5980k DVD players for my 50px70A. Is anyone able to shed light on if I have this connected to the 50px70A via HDMI, if I can use the optical out from the 50PX70A to my amp (which has optical in) if it will pass through the DTS,Dolby etc given the input from the philips DVD player will be via HDMI?

thanks in advance.

Edited by french1e

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI All.

I bought a DVP5980K/55 from the Good Guys at Noarlunga Centre a few days ago for $139 (they had quite a few of them). I'm mostly happy with it but on two occasions now, I've had a problem with the audio just not working. I'm connected to the TV via HDMI cable.

I fixed it the first time when I noticed that HDMI digital sound had been set to OFF (dont' know how, I never set it to OFF). The second time the audio stopped working, I had to go into the DVD Players Setup menu and reset to the default settings (even though I hadn't changed them).

Audio via the analogue outputs works all the time, it's just via HDMI that this has happened.

Can anyone confirm a similar problem? It's rather inconvenient for me to take the unit back into the shop and I'm guessing they won't replace the unit with a new one.

Excellent unit. Got it from Myer for $119 ($129 price match from GG and used the MyerOne $10 off every $100 promotion).

DIVX, flash drive, MP3, upscaling 1080p worked flawlessly.

However, when viewing JPGs from flash drive, I get a blank screen. The preview screen displayed the image ok though. Any ideas?

This unit is almost exactly what I wanted. But no dolby :angry: I have an amp with Dolby digital and DTS, will this result in surround.

Can anyone recommend another unit? I particulalry want the upscale, divx with USB and the dolby.

cheers

Edited by bobbavet

This unit is almost exactly what I wanted. But no dolby :angry: I have an amp with Dolby digital and DTS, will this result in surround.

Can anyone recommend another unit? I particulalry want the upscale, divx with USB and the dolby.

cheers

Oppo DV981HD Universal

"Australian" version with Aussie power cable & 1 year warranty

Black finish only

$300 + freight ($30-)

Google - Merlin Audio Design and/or Oppo

Oppo DV981HD Universal

"Australian" version with Aussie power cable & 1 year warranty

Black finish only

$300 + freight ($30-)

Google - Merlin Audio Design and/or Oppo

Heard very good things about the Oppo models. I have a magazine lying around with a recent review of it, will try and find it and post a link to the online

review to assist.

Edited by Tim_

HI All

I have just purcahsed a DVP5980K and have upgraded firmware to V43 but I have one problem.

The HD JPEG function has issues. If the HD upscale setting is anything but 480p then the image

continuously jumps up and down. The DVD playback is fine at 1080p so I don't think its an

issue with cables and signals.

The TV is a samsung L46M81BDX.

Regards

John Quin

>Any idea about the difference between 5980K/55 and 5980K/75?

I did read somewhere that the only difference is that the /55 comes with an HDMI cable.

It could be right as I bought the /75 last week, although the manual said HDMI is included, it's not there. The box was sealed, so I don't think it's taken out from retailer.

I saw this in Myer for $129.

Does anyone know wether it can read .srt subs (or idx/sub) files? Specifically via the USB connection.

I want it for the USB port, but if it doesn't read Divx with subs then I'll pass. I watch a lot of dl'd foreign films.

My crappy in between Rowa (The Conia that was imported at Retravisoion wasn't Divx compatible [sticker was over the Divx symbol on box???], so i bought this for $49.) fails to recognise any subtitle files attached to Divx/Xvid (.avi) files on data discs.

Thanks in advance...

IP

Just a little note on this player.

The first batch brought in had an HDMI in the box ( there was a picture on the box illustrating the point ) It also had foreign writing on the box.

Now they dont have one included so dont get confused between the two.

This point made earlier is probably correct.

"Any idea about the difference between 5980K/55 and 5980K/75?

I did read somewhere that the only difference is that the /55 comes with an HDMI cable."

The /75 means for the Australian market.

I've also heard it said that the reason it doesnt come with an HDMI cable included is because Harvey Norman made them take it out. Gotta protect the monster market.

Edited by ugoagogo

I saw this in Myer for $129.

Does anyone know wether it can read .srt subs (or idx/sub) files? Specifically via the USB connection.

I want it for the USB port, but if it doesn't read Divx with subs then I'll pass. I watch a lot of dl'd foreign films.

My crappy in between Rowa (The Conia that was imported at Retravisoion wasn't Divx compatible [sticker was over the Divx symbol on box???], so i bought this for $49.) fails to recognise any subtitle files attached to Divx/Xvid (.avi) files on data discs.

Thanks in advance...

IP

Aaah. Well I'll answer my own question.

I found this product byline online regarding this unit:

"DivX Ultra combines DivX playback with great features like integrated subtitles, multiple audio languages, multiple tracks and menus into one convenient file format."

Bought one today, brought it home, plugged it in...and voila. Subs worked. Both srt & sub/idx files.

Clean white font & with a translucent grey rectangle behind the text over bright backgrounds.

No HDMI cable included. 8GB USB flashdrive worked a charm.

...but, it wouldn't play .mov, .mp4, .mpeg, nor would it show the majority of jpegs. Only a couple out of 20 I had in folders.

It wouldn't even play any of the .mp3 files.

This might be due to my Flash drive. For some reason it wouldn't play a .divx file. .avi's were fine.

It would play from my internal hard drive, but not via my flash drive through my Mac.

It seemed to convert to an empty file every time I copied it.

Edited by idiotproof67

I picked up this player last week and connected the HDMI out (via an adaptor) to the DVI port on my Hitachi 42PD5000 (HDCP compatible) plasma and it will not upscale beyond 480p. It gives a message that my display is not HDCP compatible when Hitachi confirmed for me today that it is HDCP compatible and I have previously connected my LG HD HDD with 1080i

I upgraded the firmware, still no go. I rang Phillips and they were no help.

Shame really because I like the DiVVx playback from USB, but without upscale I may as well get an AWA from BigW at half the price.

Any suggestions?

Lewdannie

Bought one of these players yesterday, mainly to play DivX tv shows from a USB thumb drive (typically 350Mb for a 45min show). It's connected to a Panasonic 32" LCD TV via an HDMI cable. On the whole I'd say it does the job okay, but there were a couple of minor problems:

(1) Compression artefacts were a lot more visible compared to my previous setup (I used to play them on my PC), but I think this was mainly because my TV screen is much bigger, so it's hardly the player's fault. This problem is easily solved by using the Zoom button to reduce the picture size.

(2) More annoying is that everything seems to move with a subtle but constant stutter, almost as if the player only displays every other frame. Has anyone else noticed this? Any solutions?

I did see that there was a driver update on the Philips website. The update seemed to run smoothly, but afterwards the player still reported the same driver version as before. This happen to anyone else?

Owen

Just got one of these today from good guys. Got the conia m680 yesterday but it died miserably within the first few minutes so i swapped it for the phillips.

So far impressions are quite good, plenty of features, usb is so sweet, karaoke, divx so whole family is happy. Only gripe is that they should have used a normal 6.3mm socket for the mic input as its easy to knock out the 3.5mm plug and it cant play hd divx files.

Bought one of these players yesterday, mainly to play DivX tv shows from a USB thumb drive (typically 350Mb for a 45min show). It's connected to a Panasonic 32" LCD TV via an HDMI cable. On the whole I'd say it does the job okay, but there were a couple of minor problems:

(1) Compression artefacts were a lot more visible compared to my previous setup (I used to play them on my PC), but I think this was mainly because my TV screen is much bigger, so it's hardly the player's fault. This problem is easily solved by using the Zoom button to reduce the picture size.

(2) More annoying is that everything seems to move with a subtle but constant stutter, almost as if the player only displays every other frame. Has anyone else noticed this? Any solutions?

I did see that there was a driver update on the Philips website. The update seemed to run smoothly, but afterwards the player still reported the same driver version as before. This happen to anyone else?

Owen

Until reading this thread I thought that by now all of the "budget end of the market" upscaling DVD players were probably as good as my old Oppo. Obviously I was wrong. Thankfully, there is no evidence of banding or stutter on my 52" screen. If all these defects are apparent on a 32" LCD then something is serioulsy wrong. I would have to assume that for the time being, you will have to spend a little more for a decent upscaling player.

I've found a solution to the stuttering DivX. It seems that the player doesn't like DivX files which are packet streamed, which is quite common with TV show recordings. However, there is a freeware utility called MPEG4Modifier (google it) which will unpack a DivX file in less than a minute.

Owen

• 3 weeks later...

i got this unit for xmas - it was actually the unit i wanted after doing a little looking around.

but i am now changing - after only two weeks playing with it.

the pq is very good, and i have had no probs whatsoever with divx playback - it even seemed to eliminate artifacts, when compared to playing divx files on my pc.

anyhoo, the reason for the change is because it has a limit on how many files a usb flash-drive can have on it, AND more importantly, it doesnt have a random play mode for audio cds (or mp3 cds), and is incredibly slow to do anything (turn on, open disc tray, react to remote commands, etc)

so i'm now looking at either a pioneer dv400 or oppo dv980h

anyhoo, the reason for the change is because it has a limit on how many files a usb flash-drive can have on it, AND more importantly, it doesnt have a random play mode for audio cds (or mp3 cds), and is incredibly slow to do anything (turn on, open disc tray, react to remote commands, etc)

so i'm now looking at either a pioneer dv400 or oppo dv980h

Are you sure? I'm running an external HDD on it and it plays/displays all 25gb worth of files in there.

Also, I have a 4gb USB flash-drive (Sandisk, formatted to Fat32) and it plays the entire season of Heroes without problems.