Multiple 50mxe20 Purchase End Of Fy

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phoned TNT got the good old..."our drivers don't have mobiles" story. Anyway, they managed to send him a message and he hasn't been yet :) and will be delivering sometime after 3:30...looks like I'll be working from home this afternoon!

Arrived home at 3:28....TNT tried to deliver at 3:25!!!!!

Thankfully the driver left me his mobile number (hmmmm...thought he didn't have one of those) and thankfully he will deliver it shortly. :rolleyes:

That's exactly what I've been doing :-) Dropped the contrast and the brightness a tiny bit, but that was all.

Not sure how I'll go about racking up the hours though, stupid work keeps getting in the way! How many hours should we be trying to get up to by calibration time? I remember someone posting it ages ago but can't find it now.

100+

BUT if you dropped the settings, LONGER!!

That's exactly what I've been doing :-) Dropped the contrast and the brightness a tiny bit, but that was all.

Not sure how I'll go about racking up the hours though, stupid work keeps getting in the way! How many hours should we be trying to get up to by calibration time? I remember someone posting it ages ago but can't find it now.

Who said you need to be in front of the TV while it's on??

I have mine on while I'm working at home, even while I'm in the study. By a month, I should have the 100 hours racked up!

Just got mine going! Running the STB via component to the plasma and the sound through the amp to the stereo speakers as you can see in the photo. So the sound is off to the side when viewing but it's not a distraction.

The picture is AWESOME. Love it to death. No complaints about PQ. And the blacks, WOW! The picture looks huge. Can't stop watching it. I'm really thrilled with it.

Again, a BIG thankyou to those involved in getting this group buy together, and to this forum, without which I would never have known about the MXE20,

and without which I wouldn't have met the helpful and friendly people that I have.

If there is anyone out there who is using the stand and hasn't set theirs up yet...

The manual suggests that you lie the screen down to attach the screws and the stand but if you use a sharp kitchen knife you can cut away a section of cardboard and polystyrene underneath the plasma (once you've taken the top off) and the stand will slip easily underneath and you can attach the stand without lying the screen down. (See disclaimer below!!!)

Start from the back (the plasma lies on the polystyrene) and be careful when you cut from the front because the foam is a different height...If you just stick the knife straight in in the same way you did for the rear you will end up stabbing the screen (not a good idea!) Also, don't make the cuts too wide because the foam helps support the plasma. Having said that, when I cut the cardboard and foam away the screen was still really stable.

I would post a photo but my battery needs to be charged first...

Disclaimer:

I am not recommending this approach, just saying that it worked for me (i.e. Don't sue me if you stab yourself, the screen or anything else for that matter!!!)

If there is anyone out there who is using the stand and hasn't set theirs up yet...

The manual suggests that you lie the screen down to attach the screws and the stand but if you use a sharp kitchen knife you can cut away a section of cardboard and polystyrene underneath the plasma (once you've taken the top off) and the stand will slip easily underneath and you can attach the stand without lying the screen down. (See disclaimer below!!!)

I wanted to preserve the packaging so with the box on the floor, I took the cardbord top off, lifted the plasma via the handles a up few inches with the polystyrene foam still attached to the bottom of the frame, so that my partner could remove the carboard base, I then lowered the plasma down onto the floor sitting in the polystyrene foam. I then put the two screws into the back of the plasma, postioned the stand just behind the plasma, then when my mate came around we lifted the plasma off the foam straight onto the the stand. I then inserted and tightened the second set of bolts, tightened the first set, then lifted the whole thing onto the TV stand.

That was my approach but I guess we all have our own way of doing things.

Who said you need to be in front of the TV while it's on??

I have mine on while I'm working at home, even while I'm in the study. By a month, I should have the 100 hours racked up!

Hi all

Turned the the screen on., and apart from the green screen!!!!! wow i am impressed, found the menu and had a bit of a fiddle now have a half decent picture, i should say a very good picture. I said to the partner what do you think? not bad she says, what kind of warranty do you get? bloody hell i did not think of that, so if this might seem a bit belated, what warranty do we get?.

Cheers Rob

Hi all

Turned the the screen on., and apart from the green screen!!!!! wow i am impressed, found the menu and had a bit of a fiddle now have a half decent picture, i should say a very good picture. I said to the partner what do you think? not bad she says, what kind of warranty do you get? bloody hell i did not think of that, so if this might seem a bit belated, what warranty do we get?.

Cheers Rob

Five years of manufacturers warranty. None of this insurance extra warranty business. Gives you confidence in the product doesn't it?

Am I allowed to ask what the group buy price was? Less than JB's new $3998 catalogue price I assume...

You can ask, but we ain't gonna tell! Sorry but this protects Pioneer and the seller!

Plus, that price you state is for the 507, not the 50MXE20.

That was my approach but I guess we all have our own way of doing things.

Hi Chris,

I didn't have the patience to wait for my better half to come home so I put the stand on by myself. Still had to wait for her so we could lift it into position but it did mean that it was fully operational at least 5 minutes earlier than it would have been otherwise (Did I mention I was impatient ^_^ )

Hi Chris,

It did mean that it was fully operational at least 5 minutes earlier than it would have been otherwise.

Fair enough. Can't argue with that!

So what do you think now it's up and running?

I watched the Tour de France last night, something I wouldn't have done on my CRT, but on the plasma, it was just sensational.

I just can't wait to get mine calibrated.

Obviously the panel's reds are a little strong outta the box, but just an amazing picture. Hopefully I'll be getting the PS3 late next week, and my Amazon Blu-Ray order will be here by then....Planet Earth on Blu-Ray.....ohhhh yeeeaah!

I will definitely be posting pics then!!

Protects them from what?

From everyone demanding such a good price.

In regards to calibration, is this a combination of your equipment and the panel, or just the panel? What I mean is, I'm planning to purchase a new DVD player, STB and receiver at some point...would I be better to do this before calibration or doesn't it matter?

In regards to calibration, is this a combination of your equipment and the panel, or just the panel? What I mean is, I'm planning to purchase a new DVD player, STB and receiver at some point...would I be better to do this before calibration or doesn't it matter?

It is good to do it when you have all your equipment.

The TV really needs to be calibrated with the equipment you're running through it. For example the DVD player will influence how the colours are protrayed on the screen, and if you read the STB or PVR threads people are saying how each model STB portrays colours differently.

Although some of these devices have their individual calibration it'd be best to do it at the same time.

I wouldnt go to the extreme though of rushing to get all the equipment at the same time if its not desirable but ultimately for the extra fine calibration, just like tuning your car its best to do it with the configuration you'll be using all the time.

So what do you think now it's up and running?

LOVE the picture. I've not had a chance to see it at its best yet (waiting for a HDMI - DVI cable) but just running my dvd through component at SD levels it looks fantastic...the blacks are great. The STB is running on S-Video but even that is very good.

My main receiver is a bit poorly at the moment and the older one doesn't accept component in/out...should be back from HIFI hospital next week by which time I should have the cable and will be ready to drool some more!

My wife's not keen on the black surround (previous one was silver) but I think it sets the picture off really well...won't ever be going back to silver. Main problem for her is that all our speakers (and the old receiver) are great big black lumps so all she can see is a wall of black.

I made a deal with her that if she let me buy the black 50MXE20 I would replace those with nice shiny aluminium B&W XT series speakers (I know, I'm such a nice guy!). They are on order and will probably take even longer than the plasma.

Bad news is that I'm broke!!!

You can ask, but we ain't gonna tell! Sorry but this protects Pioneer and the seller!

Plus, that price you state is for the 507, not the 50MXE20.

Sorry for not researching but what's the main differences? I can't see the 50MXE20 listed on Pioneer's website...

The 5000EX looks sweeeet...once that downward street price pressure starts to sink in I'll pick up one of these babies :D

Sorry for not researching but what's the main differences? I can't see the 50MXE20 listed on Pioneer's website...

The 5000EX looks sweeeet...once that downward street price pressure starts to sink in I'll pick up one of these babies :D

It's there under commercial video.

www.pioneer.com.au/products/commercial_video/plasma_displays/index.html

The differences are discussed herein:

Pioneer 50mxe20

And as Chris said

http://www.pioneer.com.au/products/commerc...lays/index.html