Multiple 50mxe20 Purchase End Of Fy

Just to get this thing going, I know there are a few people looking at purchasing a 50MXE20 fairly soon.

Myself and a couple of others are looking to buy in the next few weeks. At this stage, it's for a panel and the DVH-505 HD STB.

Certainly, the more the better, for us and the seller!! Anyone seriously interested in getting this panel in the next 3-4 weeks, speak up, or forever hold your peace!

Sorry for the short notice guys!

Nick

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m also very interested in purchasing an MXE (I’m in Melb) however I would like a PVR which is ICE TV compatible. I have been reading the threads on Pioneer for months now; this is my first post as im trying to not mess up my first voyage into TVs larger than a 26inch Sony. Has anyone wall mounted to an internal brick wall, is it difficult?

Also i noticed Lyle was really happy with his set up however of late I sense he is not that happy with the Toppy. Is this correct? Please don’t get upset if I do something wrong as its my first post and being on the wrong side of 50 I did my assignments on an old manual typewriter.....

Also any sugestions on a PVR HD to match the MXE?

That sounds great. I'll be up for that, put me down for one. A pioneer 50mxe20 was within my grasp a couple of months ago, but finances held me back a little. Im still a little short on funds but....... now seems like the right time. Hopefully the prices are line ball with whats been thrown about in this thread, as sub $4300 sounds enticing. Im in Sydney by the way.

Cheers

I'm also very interested in purchasing an MXE (I'm in Melb) however I would like a PVR which is ICE TV compatible. I have been reading the threads on Pioneer for months now; this is my first post as im trying to not mess up my first voyage into TVs larger than a 26inch Sony. Has anyone wall mounted to an internal brick wall, is it difficult?

Also i noticed Lyle was really happy with his set up however of late I sense he is not that happy with the Toppy. Is this correct? Please don't get upset if I do something wrong as its my first post and being on the wrong side of 50 I did my assignments on an old manual typewriter.....

Also any sugestions on a PVR HD to match the MXE?

The MXE is more amenable to wall mounting than the 507, or so I've been told.

Wrt the Toppy: Never had a PVR before. For straight viewing and simple on the spot recording and for PQ and SQ it's been as good as my HD STB. My STB (now on the other tv) is now playing up so I'm not sure have a flaky source device isn't normal.

It's the timed recordings that people are complaining about and the idea that recorded quality may not be as good as the original that has me a bit concerned. But this is unproven at the moment.

I guess I'm not enamoured with the idea that I spent a grand and maybe got a lemon that won't ever be fixed.

As to what is better: Hmmmm.

The Sony may be the most stable but it is not without problems too.

The BeyondWiz looks good but it is 30+% more expensive and may (??) have some teething problems too.

I'm not a fan of the LG's.

The old Toshiba 35's gave a lot of problems to some but seemed stable near the end but they are hard to find these days.

Maybe the idea of getting a good HD STB for now and a SD PVR is not a silly one.

End rant.

Ok Im in for an MXE will need wall brackets...Lyle, already have a SD strong PVR conected to my sony crt. The picture quality is great ( to my eyes) i just thought conecting a SD PVR to a high def plasma is either dumb or a waste of the panels capacity ....or does recorded TV look the same on a plasma through SD or HD PVRs?

Thanks for the info

And then there were FOUR!!!!!.......nice boys. Keep 'em coming.

So that's ME, Fake64, ern and ess_h.

Just to let you other guys know, Fake64 will be ready around the 20th to go!! Hopefully by then we'll have a few more. Should be able to get a good deal from whoever wants our business!!

Ok Im in for an MXE will need wall brackets...Lyle, already have a SD strong PVR conected to my sony crt. The picture quality is great ( to my eyes) i just thought conecting a SD PVR to a high def plasma is either dumb or a waste of the panels capacity ....or does recorded TV look the same on a plasma through SD or HD PVRs?

Thanks for the info

Good HD is very good but good SD is pretty good too. This panel seems to handle it all very well. Of course I've got some upscaling going on. Not too clear what is doing what. (Panel or Toppy or DVD player).

I sit about 4-metres from it and at that distance its a good picture. There are other things that are as important, if not more so, than source resolution.

But a good HD feed is awesome.

I was only suggesting the HD STB and SD PVR path while all the HD PVR bumf settles down. That's what pg recommended to me (and of course I ignored him!, so it's my own fault :blink: ).

~

I'm not a fan of the LG's.

~

Really, really quickly (cause it's off topic...):

The LG has one failing - the lack of a true 2.0 tuner operation. And this is not a failing - it's designed that way. If you don't need overlapping timers, this is still the HD PVR to own. It is the only one that consistently, and almost unfailingly (I think DST changeovers might still be a problem?), delivers on all its promises.

A couple of questions if you dont mind.

Lyle in your set up you have the HDMI to DVI from your DVD player. Why didnt you go from the HD box to the MXE this way instead? Isnt that suposed to be a better picture than component?

I read some where that Blue ray and/or HD dvd players wont work via HDMI to DVI as they need HDMI to HDMI for some security setting or whatever to work? If this is true wouldnt the MXE be outdated within a year or 2?

I hope my PM is now on as i searced for ages how to get it going,read help that told me all about it, but not how to get to it..assistance please.

What about a Dtech HD PVR? my mate has one and it seems ok..

A couple of questions if you dont mind.

Lyle in your set up you have the HDMI to DVI from your DVD player. Why didnt you go from the HD box to the MXE this way instead? Isnt that suposed to be a better picture than component?

I read some where that Blue ray and/or HD dvd players wont work via HDMI to DVI as they need HDMI to HDMI for some security setting or whatever to work? If this is true wouldnt the MXE be outdated within a year or 2?

I hope my PM is now on as i searced for ages how to get it going,read help that told me all about it, but not how to get to it..assistance please.

What about a Dtech HD PVR? my mate has one and it seems ok..

Component and DVI are (potentially) of similar quality (both can carry HD signals). Many people prefer the Component picture (said to be a bit softer).

Put Simply: HDMI is essentially DVI + audio channels. So DVI maintains the HDCP copy protection.

As the MXE20 is a screen with no speakers (ie no sound) there is no need for a HDMI port.

Thus a DVI <-> HDMI cable / adapter is all you need.

Note: There are a variety of DVI connectors, so you need to make sure you have the right one. Also, some older (eg 3-4 years) plasmas had non HDCP compatible DVI ports.

I am using a DVI-DVI link on my PC -> Dell 2707 which is HDCP compatible (as is my video card)

I am in Sydney and am interested in this panel. The local shop is still quoting >$5000 (quite a bit more than $5000 actually).

Would be interested in finding out the price - but also weighing up the DSPowerhouse offer of $2500 for a 50" 600a Panasonic that is on this weekend.

J.

Ideally would buy 2 screens - but difficult to convince the wife (A Panasonic as the 'family tv' that they can all work out how to use, and a Pioneer as a monitor for the HT room)

Would be interested in finding out the price - but also weighing up the DSPowerhouse offer of $2500 for a 50" 600a Panasonic that is on this weekend.

J.

As it has been stated, I think a price for the MXE and HD STB is around $4500. Even if you included freight to Sydney ($100, no more) you're still well under $5000.

I think dealing with multiple panels, we could get a VERY good rate on freight, or surely you'd think that Pioneer could ship from a Sydney warehouse!!!