Samsung La32r81bd

Hi everybody,

I bought my samsung LCD La32r81bdx last June for $1600 and can't say i've regretted it. Good PQ and using my PS3 on it is awesome. I've only had one problem once when i had little white pixels appearing randomly about 1/3 of the screen only. Wasn'tBut i got a repair man to come in and he fixed it up. Apparently there was something faulty with all the models that does this. Anyway, that was fixed and it was fine for awhile. Up till about 2 months back when only Channel 7 has been playing up.

Sometimes it's ok but maybe after 10 mins, the whole screen goes berzerk and what seems to look like macro blocking. The image would distort so hard and sometimes the image would freeze for a bit and then disappear. Sometimes the whole screen would be black. i'm guessing because the signal was so distorted. I doubt anyone else have problems with Channel 7's digital feed. I checked the bit error level and if i'm not mistaken it's bit error is level 7.

If you guys have any idea what i'm talking about and have experience in fixing this problem, please share with me. I wanna watch my Channel 7.

Pak

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good PQ and using my PS3 on it is awesome.

Does it accept a 1080p signal from the the PS3? The Samsung website doesn't show that accepted HD input signals, and I noticed that the Sony D and S series 32 inch does.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Just picked up a Samsung LA32R81BD from JB HIFI for $1000.. so i'm happy!

Quick question.

I have purchased the LA32R81BD model #, now on my receipt it has Samsung LA32R81BDX

Now just wondering what the differences between my model and the X model are?

I have done a bit of research and apparently the X model has a built in HD tuner and it has a silver ring under the samsung logo, compared to mine which doesnt?

So just curious as to wether my version has an HD tuner in it? I have seen some reviews on the net which state it also has the tuner?

lol i'm so confused!

Thanks in advance if anyone is able to help me out!

Peter

Hey with the LA32R81BDX i was reading this:

If you're going to use a LCD TV for a "every day" monitor, then you definitely should test out if the TV overscans on it's digital input.

An overscan of say 5% (pretty average), ie zooming-in 5% (cutting off 5% of the image right around the screen), will make using it a PITA to use. You'll have to set up a custom resolution eg 1292x729 using your display driver, instead of using the TV's default 1366x768 resolution to see 100% of your image on screen.

While you won't notice much of an issue with movies, as the PC scales them to fit, and your normal PC's desktop will scale ok too, this will cause problems in games which may force you to pick a lower compatible resolution. EG you could have to play at 800x600 even if the game supports 1024x768 or 1366x768.

Some TVs will let you adjust the amount of overscan from the menus. Others will need to use the service menu. And others still will have a single fixed factory setting. If you're lucky, your TV will automatically adjust to display 100% of the input image with no overscan, but don't assume it will by default.

Take a laptop with a DVI output (and a DVI -> HDMI cable if the TV only supports HDMI digital input). Test it out in the store before buying, or at least get in writing that you can return the TV if it overscans too much.

and I was wondering if the people who have this monitor and setup could tell me if it does do automatically, as an option or how it does it at all.

Over DVI-HDMI it accepts 1360 x 768 and pixel maps.

This is on HDMI 2 which is DVI input.

This is as close to perfect as you will find,3 pixel border on the sides.

HDROCKS: :wub:

Over DVI-HDMI it accepts 1360 x 768 and pixel maps.

This is on HDMI 2 which is DVI input.

This is as close to perfect as you will find,3 pixel border on the sides.

Works rather well. I was wondering if it was 1360 stretched over to 1366, but basically you have 3 pixel wide black columns on either side.

With regard to the HDMI ports, the reason Samsung suggests using HDMI 2 is because that connection has its own analogue sound input ports, so when you switched over to HDMI 2, you'll get sound from there.

I just saw this TV at Myer (Bourke st) for $1079. They wont have them in stock until Friday 11th April. It looks damn sweet... I also saw the 40 incher and although it looks good too $300 is not peanuts.

Domayne will have this for $897 but only on Saturday 5th April 6am to 6pm sale. Go get it!

• 2 months later...
Hey guys,

Just picked up a Samsung LA32R81BD from JB HIFI for $1000.. so i'm happy!

Quick question.

I have purchased the LA32R81BD model #, now on my receipt it has Samsung LA32R81BDX

Now just wondering what the differences between my model and the X model are?

I have done a bit of research and apparently the X model has a built in HD tuner and it has a silver ring under the samsung logo, compared to mine which doesnt?

So just curious as to wether my version has an HD tuner in it? I have seen some reviews on the net which state it also has the tuner?

lol i'm so confused!

Thanks in advance if anyone is able to help me out!

Peter

Hi, wondering if you figure out the difference between your R81BD and the R81BDX model.

Edited by excite

• 5 weeks later...

Samsung came around today and replaced the main board as it was causing problems with ghosting images on HDMI.

Anyway I forgot to write down what settings I had been using. Anyone know any good settings?

I best write them down this time, as the new main board I got was faulty and has to be replaced next week :lol:

• 1 month later...

Geez.....read every single post trying to find the settings for the best picture for the LA32R81BDX, and i can't find anything on it???????????

Has nobody got any settings to put up pls?

Geez.....read every single post trying to find the settings for the best picture for the LA32R81BDX, and i can't find anything on it???????????

Contrast - 100%

Brightness - 100%

Colour - 100%

Backlight - High

Volume - Mute

Sounds wrong, doesn't it ?

The truth is that there are no "one size fits all" settings. Everyone's room is different, everyone's eyes are different and everyone's idea of a "good picture" is different. Go into the menu and play with the contrast, brightness, colour and backlight till you get a picture that makes you happy. Get the TV out of "Shop Mode" before doing all this.

Edited by kulfi

GOOGLE is your friend.

Mode : Movie

Contrast : 80

Brightness : 48

Sharpness : 43

Colour : 43

Tint : 50/50

Colour Tone : Warm 2

Backlight : 8

Digital NR : Off

Movie Plus : On

Black Adjust : Med

Dynamic Contrast : Low

Gamma : +1

R Offset : 14

G Offset : 16

B Offset : 13

R Gain : 4

G Gain : 15

B Gain : 12

Pink : 13

Green : 13

Blue : 10

White : 12

Edge Enhancement : On

Colour Space : Auto

HDMI Black Level : Low

Game Mode: Off

Energy Saving: Off

And another.

Movie Mode

Contrast 95

Brightness 51

Sharpness 0

Color 42

Tint G48/R52

Backlight 2 (see post above!)

Color Tone: Warm2

Just Scan

Noise Reduction: Off

Black Adj: Off

Dyn Contr: Off

Gamma 0

Colorspace: Auto

White Balance: 20, 16, 10, 9, 15, 18

My Color Control: all 15

Edge Enhancement: Off

Enjoy.

HDrocks: B) With Samsung.

• 5 months later...
I myself just got an LA32R81BD for $1600 (credit card) from HN Canberra.

My only complaint is that whenever I change the image settings (eg change from Dynamic mode to Movie Mode) it's not stored when I turn the TV off - that is, the TV always defaults to Dynamic mode when turned on. Is this normal?

Any help appreciated.

Robert

Robert,

Was having the same problem myself - every time that the TV was turned off it reverted to "Dynamic Mode" and any changes to the settings were lost. Also after about 30min, if no buttons were pressed on the remote, the screen would go black for a couple of seconds and it would be back on "Dynamic Mode" when the picture returned. It is really annoying as you can't set the screen the way you like it.

Figured out that the TV was in "Store Mode" / "Shop Mode" rather than in "Home Mode". I guess this is so that when on display it reverts to a nice looking picture if someone screws with the settings.

There may be a quicker way to do it but what worked for me was to go into the service menu and reset the TV. Then on start up you get the option to select "HOME MODE".

Quoting from page 6 of this thread to get to service menu...

"On your remote press "Power Off - Info - Menu - Mute - Power On" (If You cant get it to work try doing it slower) Your TV should TURN on with lots of purple Menu options if you did it right."

Resetting your TV via this method will mean you'll have to scan for channels and you'll also lose the information about how many hours the screen has been used for. You'll also have to switch to digital TV using the TV/DTV button -- I thought I'd screwed something up when I only had analogue TV so though I'd pass this on.

Cheers

J

Edited by just_a_name

G'day guys - having some dramas with this T.V - i've got numerous faint white lines appearing on the screen during fast moving scenes (especially sport etc)

Am keen to get Samsung out to repair/replace it but not sure how the process will go? i.e how long does it take if they replace it?

anyone else had these issues with a Samsung T.V?

• 2 months later...
Robert,

Was having the same problem myself - every time that the TV was turned off it reverted to "Dynamic Mode" and any changes to the settings were lost. Also after about 30min, if no buttons were pressed on the remote, the screen would go black for a couple of seconds and it would be back on "Dynamic Mode" when the picture returned. It is really annoying as you can't set the screen the way you like it.

Figured out that the TV was in "Store Mode" / "Shop Mode" rather than in "Home Mode". I guess this is so that when on display it reverts to a nice looking picture if someone screws with the settings.

There may be a quicker way to do it but what worked for me was to go into the service menu and reset the TV. Then on start up you get the option to select "HOME MODE".

Quoting from page 6 of this thread to get to service menu...

"On your remote press "Power Off - Info - Menu - Mute - Power On" (If You cant get it to work try doing it slower) Your TV should TURN on with lots of purple Menu options if you did it right."

Resetting your TV via this method will mean you'll have to scan for channels and you'll also lose the information about how many hours the screen has been used for. You'll also have to switch to digital TV using the TV/DTV button -- I thought I'd screwed something up when I only had analogue TV so though I'd pass this on.

Cheers

J

For those wishing to change from "Store Mode" to "Home Mode" I recently noticed that you don't actually have to reset the whole TV. Look for a menu item that says store mode, change it to home mode and you're done!

Cheers

J

• 2 months later...