Samsung La32r81bd

What's the best way to connect a 360 up to this? I have no idea how to connect it via component. :mellow:

I just grabbed this TV on the weekend, and its great for 360!

Im using VGA for mine, simply because i have 2 other devices on component already. When you connect the VGA cable you can select the resolution (1360x768 for this TV) and then change the black levels between 3 settings (best option is 'enhanced').

using VGA does lock out customising alot of the color options on the TV though. can still change dynamic contrast and so forth. i believe DNIe and movieplus are disabled, or at least you cant change the settings for them.

Edited by varvs

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just grabbed this TV on the weekend, and its great for 360!

Im using VGA for mine, simply because i have 2 other devices on component already. When you connect the VGA cable you can select the resolution (1360x768 for this TV) and then change the black levels between 3 settings (best option is 'enhanced').

using VGA does lock out customising alot of the color options on the TV though. can still change dynamic contrast and so forth. i believe DNIe and movieplus are disabled, or at least you cant change the settings for them.

What other changes have you made? I'm currently just going with the stock settings, and it looks brilliant through VGA.

It's just that I'm a total newbie to this, and tinkering with all the settings is a whole new beast.

What other changes have you made? I'm currently just going with the stock settings, and it looks brilliant through VGA.

It's just that I'm a total newbie to this, and tinkering with all the settings is a whole new beast.

You cant change heaps when using the VGA connection, as the VGA connection itself takes care of most of the settings the TV has available/the xbox determines the settings itself.

Each input on the tv has its own settings page so they need to be configured individually. Id like to cut out some of the red on mine when watching TV but im having trouble making it happen. does anyone know where i can get a calibration image or something? are they on torrent networks? will i need to access the service menu to change the RGB levels so red isnt as over saturated?

Hi Guys,

I purchased a LA32R81BD from Harvey Norman earlier this month for $1599 and so far have been very happy with it. Just yesterday it started playing up when watching Digital TV. The audio just randomly cuts out and starts to "fuzz" really loud. Both HD and SD DTV channels. No problem with analogue TV. Don't think its a receptuion issue as picture is perfect and other DTV reveivers in the house are Ok. Tried re-tuning the channels with no success. Anyone have any suggestions before I try get it fixed/replaced?

Thanks

Stew

Hi Guys,

I purchased a LA32R81BD from Harvey Norman earlier this month for $1599 and so far have been very happy with it. Just yesterday it started playing up when watching Digital TV. The audio just randomly cuts out and starts to "fuzz" really loud. Both HD and SD DTV channels. No problem with analogue TV. Don't think its a receptuion issue as picture is perfect and other DTV reveivers in the house are Ok. Tried re-tuning the channels with no success. Anyone have any suggestions before I try get it fixed/replaced?

Thanks

Stew

My parents set top box makes a squeak noise and the audio volume drops to about 2% and slowly comes back up sometimes. Its caused by the fridge turning its compressor on and off, as the kitchen and living room are the one room and both devices are on the same circuit.

Try hooking the TV up to an isolated circuit in the house (check your fuse box to find out what circuits run where) and see if it makes a difference.

I myself just got an LA32R81BD for $1600 (credit card) from HN Canberra.

My only complaint is that whenever I change the image settings (eg change from Dynamic mode to Movie Mode) it's not stored when I turn the TV off - that is, the TV always defaults to Dynamic mode when turned on. Is this normal?

Any help appreciated.

Robert

Hi Guys,

Thanks

Stew

I have exactly the same problem, only the DTV channel does it. Everything else is fine. My 50" plasma has no problem with DTV channel just the one in my room. It's running from the same antenna. If you have a solution let me know.

Hi Everyone,

I bought this TV a few months ago and I've been pretty happy with it so far. The only exception being the auto input detection system. I want to use the speakers of the TV to play music from my ipod shuffle (which does not have a video output).

I've tried:

1. Connecting it to the audio in of the pc input. But this doesn't work without a VGA signal.

2. Connecting it to the RCA input. This doesn't work as there's no video signal.

Any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...
Hi guys,

I’ve bought this unit a few weeks ago and everything is fine, however I do have one problem.

When I have the timer set to turn the TV on like 8am every morning the TV turn it self on randomly before the timer goes off. It does not happen if I set the timer for once off but happen for everyday and Monday-Friday setup.

Could some of the owners of the unit try this for me? I have this in my bedroom and I want to use it as an alarm clock.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Nick!

I am experiencing exactly the same problem, and it is really annoying!!!

I thought this feature was really cool, and who wouldn't mind a $1,600 alarm clock!

I created another thread for this problem and have had a tiny bit of help, but not enough to help me fix it!

If other owners reading this thread test this feature out for us could you report back and see how you go?

My othe rthread is:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=54170

I had one slightly helpful response:

Although I can't find it now, there's been some discussion of your problem in other samsung threads. Apparently it may be caused by the Tv trying to update itself using over-the-air broadcasts (which are not available). There's a menu setting to turn off this 'feature'. Try in the 'system' menu. A forum search should turn up more information (the discussion might be in the one discussing the 50" plasmas or maybe the 1080p LCDs).

I am still searching for what he was talking about.

If any one can provide some assistance it would be much appreciated!

Regards,

Grant

Is there a big difference between the R81 and the cheaper S81? Myer currently have them for $1299 and $1699 respectively.

I'm looking at buying an LCD for the Wii, original XBox (not the 360 just yet) and occassional FTA viewing.

Thanks.

Just to let you guys know, I bought one of these about a week ago for $1400 from The Good Guys. Didn't take much haggling, I just went in there one day and the guy said he could do $1400. Then I came back about a week later, and told another guy there that I was quoted 1400, and he was a little apprehensive, said he had to go check, but he came back and said yeah they can do that. I'm pretty sure he said their cost price was $1341, so I was very happy with the price, and it's a great TV, awesome for foxtel/FTA/360.

Just to let you guys know, I bought one of these about a week ago for $1400 from The Good Guys. Didn't take much haggling, I just went in there one day and the guy said he could do $1400. Then I came back about a week later, and told another guy there that I was quoted 1400, and he was a little apprehensive, said he had to go check, but he came back and said yeah they can do that. I'm pretty sure he said their cost price was $1341, so I was very happy with the price, and it's a great TV, awesome for foxtel/FTA/360.

Are you really sure its the R series? i just rang the local GG and the guy didn't want to mention any special pricings. Just said rrp is $1999. LOL. I doubt whether he will go down to $1400 for the R series. This particular GG doesn't seem to do many cheap deals. Most of the sales dudes tend to come across as arrogant. The one and only time I bought anything from them is a rice cooker for $30! Might just have to try Myer.

Are you really sure its the R series? i just rang the local GG and the guy didn't want to mention any special pricings. Just said rrp is $1999. LOL. I doubt whether he will go down to $1400 for the R series. This particular GG doesn't seem to do many cheap deals. Most of the sales dudes tend to come across as arrogant. The one and only time I bought anything from them is a rice cooker for $30! Might just have to try Myer.

yep, i'm positive its the R series, I did a lot of research. I can scan the receipt if you guys want, since I think good guys have a price matching policy?

yep, i'm positive its the R series, I did a lot of research. I can scan the receipt if you guys want, since I think good guys have a price matching policy?

Thanks. Bought this at $1400 from JB yesterday.

Has anyone used a VGA cable with a PC yet? Tried component on this but it gave me a 4x3 picture.

I picked one up for just under $1400 last week as well from GG in SA. It looks like the samsung range are reducing in price as the M8 series have also come down in price over the last 3-4 weeks.

Hi ninjaturtle,

Which GG in SA did you go to? The one in Mile End refused to go below $1600 :angry:

If you could provide a scan of your receipt, that would be great!

Edited by ming

GG at Pooraka. But even HN at munno para we're going to do it for $1490 with "whats your best price question".

Thanks mate. Managed to get it for $1450 from GG after speaking to another salesperson.

Now a quick question for anyone who can help! I'm a complete newbie to HDTVs so please explain things step by step :blush:.

I have connected my xbox 360 into HDMI3 and it works perfectly. But if I connect it to HDMI1 or HDMI2 I get nothing on the screen, no sound as well. Are my HDMI1 and HDMI2 inputs stuffed or am I supposed to do something to make them work :( ?

Thanks mate. Managed to get it for $1450 from GG after speaking to another salesperson.

Now a quick question for anyone who can help! I'm a complete newbie to HDTVs so please explain things step by step :blush:.

I have connected my xbox 360 into HDMI3 and it works perfectly. But if I connect it to HDMI1 or HDMI2 I get nothing on the screen, no sound as well. Are my HDMI1 and HDMI2 inputs stuffed or am I supposed to do something to make them work :( ?

Have you tried to change the source? Use the dark menu button (below the volume buttons), go to "inputs" and change the input to whichever you're using. I think that should solve your problem.

Have you tried to change the source? Use the dark menu button (below the volume buttons), go to "inputs" and change the input to whichever you're using. I think that should solve your problem.

Yes I've tried that but I still get this blank screen with the message "Mode not supported" on both HDMI1 and HDMI2 with the 360.

The 360 is set to 720p, so its not like its trying to display a resolution that the tv can't support. Is there some strange rule I'm not aware about that consoles can only work on the HDMI3 input?

Yes I've tried that but I still get this blank screen with the message "Mode not supported" on both HDMI1 and HDMI2 with the 360.

The 360 is set to 720p, so its not like its trying to display a resolution that the tv can't support. Is there some strange rule I'm not aware about that consoles can only work on the HDMI3 input?

Well turns out that HDMI1 and HDMI2 were not working. So I went back and swapped for a new set after testing in-store confirmed the problem. However, with the new set HDMI1 and HDMI2 worked for about 5 seconds but it had distortions (lines across the screen) and after a while started to drop in and out of signal ("mode not supported" yet again) approx every 10 seconds.

I returned again to the shop but was refused another swap because I think this salesperson didn't believe me :angry: . I told him to test it in-store like the last one but he didn't bother. So I asked for my money back and left. I think they may have a faulty batch of 32" R81.

Has anyone else noticed a few pixels flashing red intermittently? its across all inputs, but really only noticeable on plain black/dark screens.

theres a vertical line of pixels, probably about 8 inches in from the left hand side, in the bottom half of the screen, and they will blink on and off every few seconds at random.

Ive had the TV for a while but honestly its not bothering me that much because its only there on game loading screens or when the screen is all black, but does anyone else have this problem?

If you have a 360 and Forza 2, it appears on the loading screen, right between the loading bar and the tutorial tips.

Wondering if its worth talking to samsung about it now or waiting til my extended warranty is up in 5yrs and getting a new one then.