Samsung La32r81bd

Hello there,

Looking at buying the Samsung LA32R81BD. Hopefully for a price around $1500, to use as a TV (for foxtel) and for PC input from my Laptop.

I have seen these alongside the old version (R71) and the R81 looks a lot better, and it seems to have gotten rid of the jittery or lad with fast moving TV or DVD scenes.

Any pro's of this particular model? I hope to get it for around $1500.

Also, I have been reading about AUO and CMO panels.

-What do they mean?

-Can I check which panel it has before I buy one?

-Which one should I be after

Also if I do buy one today, is there anything I should do to check it is all OK, and is there any tweaking guides etc around?

Thanks for the feedback! Your opinion is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$1500 ??, let me know if u can find one that cheap, cheapest Ive found it is for $1599 on ebay, although my local Bing Lee offered me one for $1620 (cash). $1500 is my target price too. They look pretty cool but Im not sure on the technical specifics.

Its got 3 hdmi inputs which is perfect for me, and that movie enhancement thing that the 1080p units have. it looks pretty cool, although I really wish Samsung would bring out a 1080p 81cm unit. Mind u, its going in my bedroom so maybe thats just plain overkill.

Hello I recently bought the La32r71Bdx model. I stupidly bought it factory second and paid $1300 for it. It seems ok except for the light bleeds in the top corner when looking at it from an angle. The other problem which I'm not sure is common with LCD tv's or if its because it's a factory second, is that when there is a scene change occasionally the there will be a flash of light making the picture lighter and better. I don't know how to explain it better but sometimes if there are pale scenes the tv will flash to make it brighter. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a way to change light settings or something?

Wow a factory second of such a new model, where did u get it from ??. I have sussed out a few factory second places, but dont know of many that sell current model Samsungs, only older models.

Even if its a second, it should still be covered under the warranty, I would contact Samsung. I knew these models had problems with them and they were withdrawn from sale, so maybe it just needs a firmware update to fix your probs ??.

Wow a factory second of such a new model, where did u get it from ??. I have sussed out a few factory second places, but dont know of many that sell current model Samsungs, only older models.

Even if its a second, it should still be covered under the warranty, I would contact Samsung. I knew these models had problems with them and they were withdrawn from sale, so maybe it just needs a firmware update to fix your probs ??.

if it only took a firmware to fix the problem im sure they would have done it and repackaged it nicely to sell as brand new. factory second are there for a reason. only time u wont notice the problem is when u are unaware of the potential problems. its defective and cant be repaired cheaply.

Hello I recently bought the La32r71Bdx model. I stupidly bought it factory second and paid $1300 for it. It seems ok except for the light bleeds in the top corner when looking at it from an angle. The other problem which I'm not sure is common with LCD tv's or if its because it's a factory second, is that when there is a scene change occasionally the there will be a flash of light making the picture lighter and better. I don't know how to explain it better but sometimes if there are pale scenes the tv will flash to make it brighter. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a way to change light settings or something?

Re: Lighter/better problem - It is called dynamic dimming and it is horrible - go through and search for the term and it will tell you how to turn it off. You have to use service menu.

"On your remote press "Power Off - Info - Menu - Mute - Power On" (If You cant get it to work try doing it slower) Your TV should TURN on with lots of purple Menu options if you did it right. Now, Select Option 2 in the menu and press enter on your remote. press down untill you reach "Dynamic Dimming" and press right untill it goes to OFF. Then just press the EXIT button on your remote to finalise the setting and finally turn your TV off then back on. Sorted, no more damn nasty quick changes of the colour".

Usually factory seconds are just marked or have box damage or something simple. I havent seen many being sold as defective items. Every factory second Ive ever come across have a warranty. Anyway, I really do hope you can sort it out. Its terrible to get a bargain and then think to yourself that u got a lemon. From 'bobsie's' reply, looks like u might be able to solve your problem sexythang.

So Im still very curious, where did you buy it from ??. I love going to factory seconds places and finding out more :blink:

Re: Lighter/better problem - It is called dynamic dimming and it is horrible - go through and search for the term and it will tell you how to turn it off. You have to use service menu.

"On your remote press "Power Off - Info - Menu - Mute - Power On" (If You cant get it to work try doing it slower) Your TV should TURN on with lots of purple Menu options if you did it right. Now, Select Option 2 in the menu and press enter on your remote. press down untill you reach "Dynamic Dimming" and press right untill it goes to OFF. Then just press the EXIT button on your remote to finalise the setting and finally turn your TV off then back on. Sorted, no more damn nasty quick changes of the colour".

Hmm I was going to suggest the dynamic backlighting may be faulty and then I read your post which indicates that he has decribed normal operation. If that is the case then wow what a silly technology must be good only for allowing the quotation of nice contrast ratios, although I think anyone would be a bit suspect if they know the difference between dynamic and native ratios I didn't realise the technology was so bad.

he said 32R71, obviously not the new model.

I'm undecided on Samsung or Sony at the moment. I'm not buying one until Feb next year so possibly full 1080p will be out then, i've heard some companies will and some wont. i'm leaning towards Samsung at the moment because i have a 360 and the 3 yr warranty but a lot can change from now until Feb

Are you able to find out what panel it has, ie, S, AUO, CMO..?

Also, how does it perform with DVD's?

The panel is a CMO (has the C model on the back). I checked the display model and opened 2 boxes in the shop and they were all C models so just grabed one and there is not alot of difference IMO. (The shop assisant was interested to find out there were 3 diff panels in the one model and was more then happy to help out). Very happy with the screen , dvds looks great (played through a HTPC and PS3), divx playback looks good and HDTV is good. No complants, I am glad I went for the 32 and not the 40inch . (Note the 40inch on display at JB had the S Panel).

Cheers

Judge

The panel is a CMO (has the C model on the back). I checked the display model and opened 2 boxes in the shop and they were all C models so just grabed one and there is not alot of difference IMO. (The shop assisant was interested to find out there were 3 diff panels in the one model and was more then happy to help out). Very happy with the screen , dvds looks great (played through a HTPC and PS3), divx playback looks good and HDTV is good. No complants, I am glad I went for the 32 and not the 40inch . (Note the 40inch on display at JB had the S Panel).

Cheers

Judge

Interesting.

It all sounds good, at least the display model was a C as well.....my understanding is that the 32 will have different panels{S, AUO, CMO} because of it's popularity, whereas the 40's are all S's.

What are your thoughts on how it handles dark scenes?

Do you play Doom 3 by any chance?

Interesting.

It all sounds good, at least the display model was a C as well.....my understanding is that the 32 will have different panels{S, AUO, CMO} because of it's popularity, whereas the 40's are all S's.

What are your thoughts on how it handles dark scenes?

Do you play Doom 3 by any chance?

My local HN was kind enough to open all of their LA32R81BDX boxes (around 10) to try and find one. Unfortunately they didn't have any S or A panels. After that they even called their (samsung) rep and tried to organise having one sent, but apparently they wouldn't do that. Also all the display models I've seen around Hobart have been C panels, except the 40" version which seem to be all S panels. So it still remains to be seen if there are any 32" S panels in Australia. Apparently there have been a few in the UK but I don't think anyone has gotten a 32" A panel in either.

I'm probably going to get an LA32R81 today with a C panel, they offered me $1690 off the bat, hopefully they'll give me a bit more off with cash. I was going to wait for the Panasonic 70 series, but they'd probably be $2500 or more.

I'm probably going to get an LA32R81 today with a C panel, they offered me $1690 off the bat, hopefully they'll give me a bit more off with cash. I was going to wait for the Panasonic 70 series, but they'd probably be $2500 or more.

They're $1500 in Brisbane, so try to get somewhere near that...{Computer Alliance}.

$2500 for a 32 is crazy money....the 42in Samsung Plasma is being advertised for $1999.

Good luck.