Samsung M81 Movie Plus Problem **

Well, I thought getting the movie plus problem fixed sounded like a good idea...until....the local Canberra service tech (no need to mantion names, there's only 2 listed on the Samsung www page, so you have a 50% chance of guessing the right one oh and their company name starts with a K..) came out onsite, and proceeded to flash the TV.

I'm not sure what he managed to shove down the service port of my once beautiful 40" LCD, but it no longer boots...you hear the power relay click in, the LED on the power button flashes, and the power clicks off again.

My screen is cactus, and I can say I'm not entirely happy. I feel for the poor technician (it was the 3rd screen he had done and the first that had done this), but I'm also pissed I'm going to be watching TV on my 17" computer screen until a new mainboard comes in for my Sammy..

Oh well, I guess this serves as a warning, maybe it's worth living with the movie plus problem if the firmware upgrade is hit and miss...

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if anyone else is having this problem but when my volume is on aroud 40 I get vibrations through the speakers.

It seems to happen mainly when there is talking and the tone of the voice is low.

Anyone else have this ?

Noddy

Edited by NODDYPIPER

• 1 month later...

Well I know this topic is a bit old but thought I'd say that a few weeks ago I finally (after some issues) got sound & vision to come onsite and update my firmware to 1011. The bloke who came out was very nice and it only took 15 minutes or so to flash the screen.. and it works nicely now. He even mentioned the DTV forum and said something about Samsung not being too impressed that this issue was being discussed... well hello Samsung.. if the issue wasn't there we wouldn't need to discuss it and I for one am happy to have known about the issue and that there was eventually a fix available and we COULD get it under warranty.

My M81 46" is now performing very nicely and I have not noticed any MP type effects now that it really is off :)

Just got myself a LA40M8 today... for some odd reason it doesnt let me play Blu-ray off my PS3

it were allright up to the loading screen and just go blank 'MODE NOT SUPPORTED'

PS3 games working fine and all......

anyone got any idea ?

• 1 month later...

I am still trying to get my LA46M81 firmware upgraded.

My current firmware is T-TLPMAUD-1004 dated Mar 26 2007

I rang Samsung technical support today and the assure me that there is no upgrade for my model.

Full model number is LA46M81BDX/XSA

My warranty is nearly expired

Edited by EIEIO

Well Samsung are wrong - 1011 has been out for ages and should be done for free under warranty.

Don't call Samsung direct - call your nearest Samsung support location (you can find those on the samsung website) and tell them. If they ask you why you want the firmware say you have the "Movie Plus problem" and they are almost certain to know about it. Don't let them give you the run around about the over the air updates feature(which can be turned off easily via the menu) because you really will be wanting the updated firmware for your M81.

Good luck

oh by the way.. isn't it a 3 year warranty on the M81's? I know I got 3 years as standard...

Well Samsung are wrong - 1011 has been out for ages and should be done for free under warranty.

Don't call Samsung direct - call your nearest Samsung support location (you can find those on the samsung website) and tell them. If they ask you why you want the firmware say you have the "Movie Plus problem" and they are almost certain to know about it. Don't let them give you the run around about the over the air updates feature(which can be turned off easily via the menu) because you really will be wanting the updated firmware for your M81.

Good luck

oh by the way.. isn't it a 3 year warranty on the M81's? I know I got 3 years as standard...

I called Gold service agent Sibnet in Chatwood and they say Samsung says there is no upgrade firmware. Then spoke to Samsung technical support who then transferred me to a technician. All say that there is no upgrade.

I was mistaken.... Samsung site says 3 year warranty

• 2 months later...

Good luck

Having another attempt to have firmware upgraded.

Samsung still say there is no upgrade for my LA46M81BDX/XSA which has firmware 1004

Can you do it yourself?

Where can you download it?

Sorry guys, I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have a 46" M81 TV which I bought within the last 3 to 4 months and I like this panel. The exact model is LA46M81BD. I have played around with the settings a lot and I like the overall image, but I am not ever satisfied with the image on dark screens.

When there is a dark scene in a movie, I find the backlight to be quite bright causing the dark spots on screen to look a bit too gray. However, this light is uniform, so no complaints about uneven lighting. I have found the backlight to be the brightest when using a HDMI source. In fact I am happy with the settings on every other source except the HDMI source. Despite having the same levels for the settings on all sources, the HDMI is always brighter (is this normal?). I am not using dynamic contrast because that to me was giving me a fake image with dark colours drowned out when the rest of the screen was bright. In dark scenes the back light still looks the same anyway.

Currently I am using the standard picture setting with brightness around 53 and back light level on 4. I have tried turning the back light level down, which helps a bit, but then the image doesn't look as bright and vibrant as I want it to be and during the day the screen is too dull and dark. The back light isn't as noticeable at day in a brightly lit room. Is there an optimal setting which someone has found to work for them or was anyone having this issue? I notice some people in this thread have backlight on 6. Don't you find that dark scenes are just grayish from the backlight or that the letterboxed screens don't have dark bars? Is this inevitable with any brand of LCD TV in the 46" size (bearing in mind this is really mainly an issue with the HDMI setting for me)? Maybe I need a new firmware update to remedy this? I have scanned for one, but none are available. My current firmware is T_BDX2DAU0_1007. Can anyone offer any advise? Thank you in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

hi all, i have a question about movie plus.

I have a 40 inch Samsung N86. The problem is I can only turn on Movie Plus for watching digital TV and playing the PS3 (via HDMI). When I'm playing my Xbox 360 and PC (also via HDMI) the Movie Plus function is "grey'd out" if you know what I mean and you can't access the feature. Anyone have any idea why this is happening? Surely it can't be the problem with Xbox 360 or my PC because Movie Plus is a feature on the TV's end.

MoviePlus is not available on a HDMI connection when you have "JustScan" enabled. If you set the size to 16:9 (but then you will get some overscan) it will become available.

Regards

hi, i don't have "just scan" turned on for my HTPC and Xbox 360 but "movie plus" is still greyed out. I don't know why but it only works for the PS3?

Update: I've just found out that the "Movie Plus" does not support 1080p, it only supports up to 1080i. This is why it only worked for my PS3 earlier because I was playing a 720p game.

Edited by Fernuti

• 7 months later...

Digging this one up from the grave - as I have some time on my hands I tried today to organise this - both Samsung themselves and their Service center Sibnet denied any knowledge of it... anybody have the answer on how to help them find the update / own arse in the dark?

• 1 month later...
Digging this one up from the grave - as I have some time on my hands I tried today to organise this - both Samsung themselves and their Service center Sibnet denied any knowledge of it... anybody have the answer on how to help them find the update / own arse in the dark?

I just called up Samsung and mentioned the movieplus issue and they said OK we'll give you Signet's details and have the firmware updated under warranty. I just told Sibnet that Samsung asked me to get a firmware update and they sent someone around today... But we suspect the firmware was corrupt on his USB stick :( Friendly guy though, he's going to email me the firmware for me to try again. When I get it, I'll try to upload it for the greater good.

**Update: Turns out the tech requires a laptop and cable to hook into the Sammy to update it. Not the guy's fault, he normally just does service centre repairs and Sibnet didn't send their regular techs out. Will sus out how the next tech they send around next time does it. Newest firmware is 1011.

Edited by supacheap1