Samsung M81 Movie Plus Problem **

Am I to understand that if everything that entered this panel was via HDMI, like say the new Onkyo receiver that takes all sources and outputs them via HDMI, then this feature is disabled anyways?

Thanks

Nope, I have my Topfield PVR hooked up via HDMI and I get the issue. I also have a mac mini connected via DVI>HDMI cable and the option is disabled. Samsung couldn't tell me why that is when I called and asked.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I to understand that if everything that entered this panel was via HDMI, like say the new Onkyo receiver that takes all sources and outputs them via HDMI, then this feature is disabled anyways?

Thanks

I correct myself, MOVIE + does auto turn itself on via a HDMI inputs also. Eg, features downscaled from the PS3 in 576p or 480p connected via PS3 on HDMI. However, features in 1080p are not affected. What I have also found out though, is that if you adjust the aspect ratio of the screen eg, from 16:9 -> 4:3 or any other modes, movie+ auto turns on again.

Wierd how the PS3 will upscale 480i/576i DVDs to 1080p60hz but it won't upscale special features on blu rays that are native 576p.

I have the tech's coming out this Thu. Will show them the prob and see if there is any update on the matter. I will post here if there is anything new.

On an unrelated note, I went to pick up some quality component cable this morning, to hook it up to my DVD player. Don't notice any MPEG blocks or pixelation anymore or soft edges anymore. If your experiencing poor PQ from other sources, it maybe worthwhile investing in decent cables.

Well, some not so encouraging news on this.

I have had my M81 in at Hills for almost 2 weeks now, and been waiting patiently for some sort of response. I caved in and called today (after being fobbed off last week). From what I could gather or infer, I think the action so far has been to simply order in a new processor board for the set without attempting to figure out if A) the problem is common or B) the replacement board fixes the issue. I doubt the problem has even been reported at all. I wasn't even able to find out when the part was due (although he did say it was on back-order meaning that it had to come from overseas).

So here's me with an otherwise functioning TV sitting in the shop awaiting an update that will take an indeterminate amount of time which will potentially not fix the issue.

The most helpful advice I got was to call Samsung support again myself with the part number to find out when it was due in Aus.

The service girl was very helpful, but unfortunately told me that the part had no ETA. I WAS offered a brand new set as replacement, but I am not so sure I am keen on that idea either. I could just end up with another set with that same issue and I am back to square one....or worse, I end up with a set with some other non-generic issue (clouding/some other fault).

The service centre offered to put me through to technical support, after I asked about details of the issue itself. This was where things got frustrating. The tech support claimed to have never heard of the problem before, and being one of three tech support guys he claims that if it had been reported all three would have known of it. He absolutely did not want to hear about the issue itself and advised repeatedly to leave it with the service centre to coordinate with them. Which as I eplained earlier I suspect wasn't happening. Seeing as this tech support guy hadn't heard of the issue I think that is pretty safe to assume. I also attempted to explain about the same issue being present in the european models of the TV which have supposedly been fixed with firmware etc etc etc etc......I was just stonewalled in short.

I just don't get it, I was polite, patient, but completely thwarted by the whole process. WHY HAVE THEY NEVER HEARD OF THIS ISSUE?? I literally said to him....ok, if this is the first time you have heard of this then let me be the one to report it PLEASE!

I am thinking of taking a DVD down to the Retravision where I got the TV and ask to do a demo in front of them to see if I can get an action down that route....and to satisfy myself that the problem can be reproduced on another set. And if I can't, find out if that set has newer firmware or is a later revision to mine.

I am also tempted to get the new TV delivered just to see if it also has the issue.

Sorry for the rant, but I figured someone aught to hear it.

Man thats BAD.

Samsung appear totally incompetant on the phone. And being stonewalled.. wtf is up with that. Bloody arrogant techs.

I would call back asking to speak to the manager/supervisor and see if that gets you anywhere.

Im getting my 40" delivered on Friday (tomorrow) and the chap im dealing with has gone to the warehouse and made sure I got the one from their newest batch of stock and a malaysian built unit. With any luck it wont have the xbox vga problem, the movie plus problem and the 1080/24hz problem. Gee thats a lot to hope for tho.

Best of luck getting your issue resolved mate, sounds like you have a tough time getting thru samsung.

Man thats BAD.

Samsung appear totally incompetant on the phone. And being stonewalled.. wtf is up with that. Bloody arrogant techs.

I would call back asking to speak to the manager/supervisor and see if that gets you anywhere.

Im getting my 40" delivered on Friday (tomorrow) and the chap im dealing with has gone to the warehouse and made sure I got the one from their newest batch of stock and a malaysian built unit. With any luck it wont have the xbox vga problem, the movie plus problem and the 1080/24hz problem. Gee thats a lot to hope for tho.

Best of luck getting your issue resolved mate, sounds like you have a tough time getting thru samsung.

Let us know your results when you get the TV.

Well, some not so encouraging news on this.

I have had my M81 in at Hills for almost 2 weeks now, and been waiting patiently for some sort of response. I caved in and called today (after being fobbed off last week). From what I could gather or infer, I think the action so far has been to simply order in a new processor board for the set without attempting to figure out if A) the problem is common or B) the replacement board fixes the issue. I doubt the problem has even been reported at all. I wasn't even able to find out when the part was due (although he did say it was on back-order meaning that it had to come from overseas).

So here's me with an otherwise functioning TV sitting in the shop awaiting an update that will take an indeterminate amount of time which will potentially not fix the issue.

The most helpful advice I got was to call Samsung support again myself with the part number to find out when it was due in Aus.

The service girl was very helpful, but unfortunately told me that the part had no ETA. I WAS offered a brand new set as replacement, but I am not so sure I am keen on that idea either. I could just end up with another set with that same issue and I am back to square one....or worse, I end up with a set with some other non-generic issue (clouding/some other fault).

The service centre offered to put me through to technical support, after I asked about details of the issue itself. This was where things got frustrating. The tech support claimed to have never heard of the problem before, and being one of three tech support guys he claims that if it had been reported all three would have known of it. He absolutely did not want to hear about the issue itself and advised repeatedly to leave it with the service centre to coordinate with them. Which as I eplained earlier I suspect wasn't happening. Seeing as this tech support guy hadn't heard of the issue I think that is pretty safe to assume. I also attempted to explain about the same issue being present in the european models of the TV which have supposedly been fixed with firmware etc etc etc etc......I was just stonewalled in short.

I just don't get it, I was polite, patient, but completely thwarted by the whole process. WHY HAVE THEY NEVER HEARD OF THIS ISSUE?? I literally said to him....ok, if this is the first time you have heard of this then let me be the one to report it PLEASE!

I am thinking of taking a DVD down to the Retravision where I got the TV and ask to do a demo in front of them to see if I can get an action down that route....and to satisfy myself that the problem can be reproduced on another set. And if I can't, find out if that set has newer firmware or is a later revision to mine.

I am also tempted to get the new TV delivered just to see if it also has the issue.

Sorry for the rant, but I figured someone aught to hear it.

Got the same response from Samsung, these droids are told to say the same thing "ooh I have never heard of that problem before". BLOODY SAMSUNG! WTF ARE YOU DOING? if everyone keeps bugging them about this problem they will have to fix it.

Noddy

I suggest we start taking names when we call samsung. So we can try to speak to the same person all the time.. if he gets lots of people he will eventually do something about it. I hope. So maybe call back and get a name ... when we can start hammer it home :D

MrQuade:

Will do mate.

There are nearly 6000 views of this thread. Now I don't know how many actual people with this problem that equates to but I'm sure it's a lot yet Samsung 'have never heard of this issue' - bullshit. I'll bet they have been monitoring this very thread. They know damn well what the problem is but any admission of the problem will provide unwanted publicity and slow sales. What a shame too because even though they are prone to clouding, DTV and MoviePlus issues, this is a really cool TV. Just sort out the problems Samsung and you'll have 5943+ DTV forum viewers become happy customers. Just think of how much that could save you on marketing.

Anyone sick of being a Samsung M8 beta tester? What a shame it's not illegal to lie or sell faulty products. If you are really getting nowhere with this issue being repaired - register your complaint with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) - 1300 302 502. Clearly, we are talking and Samsung aren't listening.

P.S. Big ups to Bing Lee Moore Park for putting up with me and sorting out my movie plus issue to the best of their ability.

I suggest we start taking names when we call samsung. So we can try to speak to the same person all the time.. if he gets lots of people he will eventually do something about it. I hope. So maybe call back and get a name ... when we can start hammer it home :D

MrQuade:

Will do mate.

I agree with this. Even if you've called before, call again and take down the name of who you're speaking to. Then post their first name in this thread. That way we can target 2 different phone techs at Samsung. Eventuall they'll have to start talking to each other!!

I agree with this. Even if you've called before, call again and take down the name of who you're speaking to. Then post their first name in this thread. That way we can target 2 different phone techs at Samsung. Eventuall they'll have to start talking to each other!!

Just had samsung service tech out here.

I showed him the issue with movie + and he agrees that there is some sort of bug there. I asked him if many people had been complaining about it, and he said that he vaguely remembers 1 other case, but there isn't any sort of big hoo-ha about it.

He's gonna find out if there is any fix for it and get back to me.

Surely there must be a fix if there are sets out there that don't have this movie plus issue. Does anybody on this forum have a set that isn't affected by this movie + bug?

Just had samsung service tech out here.

I showed him the issue with movie + and he agrees that there is some sort of bug there. I asked him if many people had been complaining about it, and he said that he vaguely remembers 1 other case, but there isn't any sort of big hoo-ha about it.

He's gonna find out if there is any fix for it and get back to me.

Surely there must be a fix if there are sets out there that don't have this movie plus issue. Does anybody on this forum have a set that isn't affected by this movie + bug?

A lot of people out there may have the problem but might not know about it, or can't tell the difference. They may just think that's how it's supposed to be. So it's hard to tell.

Whatich service centre did you go through?

MrQuade:

Will do mate.

I just called Samung tech support, again the guy tried to tell me that they've never heard of it and all the people on the forums are not reality??? What a tosser.

Anyway, his name was Hayden. So get calling people!! 1300 362 603

Call every day if you have to.

I just called Samung tech support, again the guy tried to tell me that they've never heard of it and all the people on the forums are not reality??? What a tosser.

I BET any money it was the same guy I spoke to.

Regardless, seeing as both you and I have reached tech support and mentioned "Movie Plus issue" and both got the same response "never heard of it", it seems that this is just their corporation required response to these sorts of enquiries, so we can't really blame the poor saps at the end of the phone.

The problem is, how on earth do you get past this brick wall they have thrown up? If you come in swinging with "Well I know for a fact that's a lie", you come across as overly belligerent which will get you exactly nowhere fast.

I think I am going to take the soft approach and just get the unit replaced and see how I fare with getting a more recent model of TV. If Movie Plus (and 24fps 1080i) are resolved, then at least there is a way out of the trap.

I BET any money it was the same guy I spoke to.

Regardless, seeing as both you and I have reached tech support and mentioned "Movie Plus issue" and both got the same response "never heard of it", it seems that this is just their corporation required response to these sorts of enquiries, so we can't really blame the poor saps at the end of the phone.

The problem is, how on earth do you get past this brick wall they have thrown up? If you come in swinging with "Well I know for a fact that's a lie", you come across as overly belligerent which will get you exactly nowhere fast.

I think I am going to take the soft approach and just get the unit replaced and see how I fare with getting a more recent model of TV. If Movie Plus (and 24fps 1080i) are resolved, then at least there is a way out of the trap.

How long have you had your tv? Are you going to get Samsung to replace or the place where you purchased?

I spoke to him also when I called, very unhelpful, told me to take it back to the store for a new one because the 'TV is not holding its memory'.

I told him its got nothing to do with memory, its movie +, he said yeah, its not holding its memory.

I told him I've had it for 3 weeks already, then he told me to get a tech out.....

is there really much point calling tech again if your only going to speak to clowns like that?

A lot of people out there may have the problem but might not know about it, or can't tell the difference. They may just think that's how it's supposed to be. So it's hard to tell.

Whatich service centre did you go through?

I went through a mob called 'SOUND & VISION television services.

They are based in Blackburn VIC 3130 and their phone number is 03 9878 7144

The guy was pretty friendly and quite willing to help, gave me a job number....i guess i'll wait a few months then call up to see what the update is.!

How long have you had your tv? Are you going to get Samsung to replace or the place where you purchased?

So far, the customer service rep has offered to replace the whole TV because the replacement board is on back-order with no current ETA.

I assume this means that the TV will be coming from Samsung, or whatever local warehouse is holding one.

I will TRY to ensure that the replacement unit is a later revision otherwise I may as well just have my old unit back.

I bought the TV in the first week of June and sent it in for repair almost exactly one month after having it.

It is the 46" unit just for the record.

The mind boggles why they are acting this way.

There is a much better way to handle this - let's say they know about the problem but there's currently not a fix (but hopefully they are working on it, as in the new firmware etc)... it would be MUCH BETTER for PR and customer service/support to admit that yes they believe there is an issue and it's being worked on. If they must, refer to a local service tech (who they should advise) and then you can create a service call with them. Even if the problem can't be fixed for X weeks/months (!) at least you are in the system.

I refuse to believe they have no idea about it. It's clear that they are putting up a wall. If/when I call in I'd almost want to say "Look mate, I understand if you've been directed to give the "I know nothing" Schultz answer, but really.. we both know you - Samsung Service - do know about this issue. All that I want to know at this point is that Samsung is working on the issue and will have some kind of solution for all of the affected customers"

I know.. expecting honesty is a big ask I know, but it would go a long way. I'd so rather be told "Yeah, we know about this issue but there's not a resolution yet, but we're working on it" then denial that there IS a problem. This is just getting your customers offside - not to mention POTENTIAL customers who might be tossing up between brands, come into a forum like this and look at these threads and be put off by the aparent attitude of the vendor to support their product.

They should lift their game.

I wonder if a letter to the Samsung Australia CEO, Head of service etc might also be a good idea. Properly worded it could get some sort of action. I see nothing wrong with a politely worded letter.

Either way I certainly agree that calling up and "shooting the messenger" isn't the way to go with this. If there's only 3 tech guys they'll be sitting around the lunch table comparing notes on this stuff and perhaps any mention of "Movie+" combined with "internet discussion forum" might earn instant disdain.

When I get mine I will try post some images of on and off.. but that wont be for a few days.

As for firmware... no idea... will see what mine is and if it has the problem or not.. *shurgs*

Got those photos yet?

If i posted a photo of my tv, would you be able to tell if movie plus is on or off?

TV is being delivered today so will let you know tonight.

Movie plus would be kinda hard to tell from just a photo.

But you can tell yourself if you turn it on and off without changing input yuo will see a difference. And once you can recognize it.. turn it off then change inputs and see if it returns

The mind boggles why they are acting this way.

There is a much better way to handle this - let's say they know about the problem but there's currently not a fix (but hopefully they are working on it, as in the new firmware etc)... it would be MUCH BETTER for PR and customer service/support to admit that yes they believe there is an issue and it's being worked on. If they must, refer to a local service tech (who they should advise) and then you can create a service call with them. Even if the problem can't be fixed for X weeks/months (!) at least you are in the system.

I refuse to believe they have no idea about it. It's clear that they are putting up a wall. If/when I call in I'd almost want to say "Look mate, I understand if you've been directed to give the "I know nothing" Schultz answer, but really.. we both know you - Samsung Service - do know about this issue. All that I want to know at this point is that Samsung is working on the issue and will have some kind of solution for all of the affected customers"

I know.. expecting honesty is a big ask I know, but it would go a long way. I'd so rather be told "Yeah, we know about this issue but there's not a resolution yet, but we're working on it" then denial that there IS a problem. This is just getting your customers offside - not to mention POTENTIAL customers who might be tossing up between brands, come into a forum like this and look at these threads and be put off by the aparent attitude of the vendor to support their product.

They should lift their game.

I wonder if a letter to the Samsung Australia CEO, Head of service etc might also be a good idea. Properly worded it could get some sort of action. I see nothing wrong with a politely worded letter.

Either way I certainly agree that calling up and "shooting the messenger" isn't the way to go with this. If there's only 3 tech guys they'll be sitting around the lunch table comparing notes on this stuff and perhaps any mention of "Movie+" combined with "internet discussion forum" might earn instant disdain.

I know there's not that many people who take calls on tv's. I spoke to 'Hayden' yesterday who claimed to have never heard of the movie + issue. He took my number and is getting his manager to call me back. Someone else should call up and ask to speak to Hayden and report the problem.

It would be interesting to hear his response.

certainly if mine has the movie plus problem Hayden will be hearing from me.. and if he dares to say he has not heard of it before. Well he will be sorted out.

Thats atleast 4 people that have spoken to him so far and each time he says he hasnt heard of the problem before.

Got those photos yet?

If i posted a photo of my tv, would you be able to tell if movie plus is on or off?

I have a recorded episode of "The Unit" which shows off the effects of Movie Plus perfectly. There is a slow pan to the left with subtitles that smear horribly when Movie Plus is on.

When the Hills tech came around he asked to also see a DVD with the same effect, so I had a rummage and came up with "The Incredibles".

In the scene where Edna Mode is demonstrating the new costumes for Elastagirl (shooting rockets and setting things on fire etc), there is a decent example where the daughter's suit is turned invisible.

Then Movie PLus is on and just at the instant when the suit is turned invisible, there is some pretty nasty looking tearing and blocking of the suit being demonstrated. With Movie Plus off, the suit looks solid as a rock when it is turned invisible.

It is not the best example,but it was the only one I could muster at short notice. Often you can see the artifacts on slow left/right pans when there are prominent vertical objects in a scene (power poles, and brockwork etc).

A question for DaForce2000 as well.....was Hayden from Customer Service, or Technical Support?

On the phone with our friend Hayden again now, he called be back. He's trying to tell me that the tv is still in Shop mode. It's cleary not and I've had a service centre tech verify this. Don't let them talk you into believing this when you speak to them. He also said the head of their TV dept at Samsung has never heard of the issue. Heard that before.