Samsung M81 Movie Plus Problem **

You need to be able to actually tell what movie plus looks like to know if you have it or not.

Try switching it on and off and see if you can cleary notice the difference.

If you can then try switching it off in the menu, then switching inputs or turning the set on and off.

You will probably find that although it says "off" in the menu, it is actually still active if you know what it looks like.

Yes, I picked up my 40" M8 on Thursday and yes it has this problem. Very annoying. Even though the setting says off it is on. Switching set off and on fixes the problem. I will call on Tuesday.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a LA46M81BD and noticed Movie Plus (looks very unnatural). Anyway, I had always planned to use a PVR with the screen (the new Beyonwiz) and comparing the two it seems like there is no Movie Plus when viewing tv through the Beyonwiz. So maybe the Movie Plus "feature" is part of the Samsung digital tuner and not necessarily the screen itself.

• 2 weeks later...
Just bought a LA46M81BD and noticed Movie Plus (looks very unnatural). Anyway, I had always planned to use a PVR with the screen (the new Beyonwiz) and comparing the two it seems like there is no Movie Plus when viewing tv through the Beyonwiz. So maybe the Movie Plus "feature" is part of the Samsung digital tuner and not necessarily the screen itself.

No, my set definitely has the Movie Plus bug while watching with the Beyonwiz.

I had a recording of "The Unit" with a lovely right to left pan with subtitles that displayed the problem wonderfully, and demonstrated the Movie Plus turning on and showing off (incorrectly) when swapping inputs.

The Hills tech took the TV is and is replacing the board, so I'm hoping I am up for a bonus firmware upgrade with it.

I have also hammered the FAQ guys on Samsung's website and after the 3rd reply I seem to have an answer that indicates that they acknowledge the issue.

(I had to go the rigmarole of explaining that it wasn't "shop mode" and that yes, the fault is not that t tears the image, but that it turns itself back on by itself).

No, my set definitely has the Movie Plus bug while watching with the Beyonwiz.

I had a recording of "The Unit" with a lovely right to left pan with subtitles that displayed the problem wonderfully, and demonstrated the Movie Plus turning on and showing off (incorrectly) when swapping inputs.

The Hills tech took the TV is and is replacing the board, so I'm hoping I am up for a bonus firmware upgrade with it.

I have also hammered the FAQ guys on Samsung's website and after the 3rd reply I seem to have an answer that indicates that they acknowledge the issue.

(I had to go the rigmarole of explaining that it wasn't "shop mode" and that yes, the fault is not that t tears the image, but that it turns itself back on by itself).

Good to hear they're finally acknowledging it, did they mention if they were doing anything about it by a firmware update?

Good to hear they're finally acknowledging it, did they mention if they were doing anything about it by a firmware update?

The last reply I received from Samsung directly was. (cut'npaste from the email)

WE ARE CURRENTLY LOOKING INTO THIS MATTER AT THE CURRENT MOMMENT WE WILL RESPOND TO YOU AS SOON AS WE DETECT THIS PROBLEM.

for what that's worth.

I have seen mention of a later firmware revision than the one I had in my TV (if I was readin it correctly it was version 1001), so I will see if the straight board swap comes with a bonus upgrade.....I don't even know if that's where the firmware lives on these units though.

Failing that, I am sure that if I do get a reply evntually, I can just get the tech out again to upgrade the firmware on the spot again.

Noone seems to be able to answer my question about the broadcast firmware updates though. It would be nice to kno if Samsung ever intend to distribute an update wirelessly to us.

This might seem like a stupid question, but does the Movie Plus issue occur when switching sources through an AV reciever/amp, or is just switching between TV sources, like DTV to HDMI and back again?

Only when switching between TV sources. Switching sources on the receiver has no effect.

I have tried numerous combinations of Movie Plus being turned on or off in the alternate TV inputs, but the rule of thumb is that it just switches itself back on in every case.

Can I get confirmation on whether anyone does *NOT* have the Movie Plus Problem?

A few posts have suggested this, but this topic seems to suggest otherwise...

Of those that believe they don't have the problem, is there a common firmware they are running?

Can I get confirmation on whether anyone does *NOT* have the Movie Plus Problem?

A few posts have suggested this, but this topic seems to suggest otherwise...

Of those that believe they don't have the problem, is there a common firmware they are running?

I think everyone has it, but some people misunderstand the problem and think that because it always says it's off that it's off.

I think everyone has it, but some people misunderstand the problem and think that because it always says it's off that it's off.

I haven't noticed it yet, and I probably misunderstand the issue! :D

I haven't seen anything like this on my 46" M81 but I am running (I am pretty sure) firmware 1001 so it doesn't make sense. It could just be my dodgy eyesight missing it totally, in which case I guess I don't "see" a problem....

I had a friend over the other night with good eyes and she didn't complain about any weird pixelation/bad 3d halo effect or stuff so I dunno. She just said the set was BIG!! lol

Most people probably wouldn't pick it up. I too am guilty of misunderstanding the issue. I've been using the set now for a couple of weeks and I always assumed it was off, I have suspected many times that it could have been on but concluded that my eyes were probably playing tricks, or that the difference between on and off were so subtle that it was hardly noticable because i never went from movie + off -> on -> off. I only ever went from off -> on and didn't think it looked much different so I didn't think much of it....I did notice unatural movement but thought it must be simply what dtv is like on lcd as I only had a analogue setup previous to this 46M81.

However, after reading through this thread again, and after more testing I realized that I too have the dreaded movie+ problem on my set. Although the menu says its off, whenever u switch from sources or standby mode to DTV mode, movie plus auto engages even though it clearly states its off in the menu. I can see why its such an annoying bug now.

After having a chance to compare DTV/DVD programming with movie+ off, it definitely looks better with it turned off. Knowing now that my set is affected it is so irritating seeing the movie + feature on regular TV programming, without fail, I find myself having to go into the menu every single time to disengage the feature whenever I switch between modes. (Thank god MOVIE+ is disabled by default for HDMI inputs)

The difference between having the feature on and off is night and day. While its on, subject movement and panning looks artificial & unrealistic.

I can live with it in the meantime until a firmware update or patch fixes it. Its certainly an inconvenience to say the least but the undocumented 1080p/24hz playback feature more than makes up for it. After all, the main reason I got this screen was for PS3 and BluRay playback.

Hopefully they come up with a fix for it.....other than that, I'm more than happy with this panel. Clouding is not really an issue and 1080p over VGA (haven't tested yet) is not something I'll really end up using given there are 3 HDMI sockets.

Clouding is not really and issue

I did notice a bit of clouding the other night, but it's not there anymore?

I have dropped some of the settings in "standard"

Contrast = 70

Brightness = 50

Sharpness = 80

Backlight = 6

Still get what I consider a natural picture without being too bright, but I think lowering the default settings has reduced the clouding issue to an acceptable level. Incidentally I've never seen a perfect LCD screen yet. Anything with a backlit flouro will have some leakage. But I knew that before settling on a large screen LCD.

This LCD has less leakage than my 19" Viewsonic VP930b which was arguably the best 19" LCD monitor a couple of years ago, and I'm happy with the Viewsonic.

I'll be interested in how any firmware (I have v1001) will be distributed. My Strong SD box is upgradeable by connecting a null modem cable from a lappy to it. Hopefully the Sammsung will be user upgradeable. Shoving the TV into the back of the Wagon only increases the likelyhood of other issues. I'd rather leave it where it is.

there are not one but two RS232 type (serial) "service" ports on the back of my M81 but they look like a non standard connection(typical). Just an excuse to get a tech in there to do it.. but you can sort of understand that... if it was user upgradeable and someone stuffed their set up somehow by doing it wrong, Sammy wouldn't want to deal with that. Get a tech out, plug it in and do whatever likely covers everything.

I'd perhaps prefer that anyway (as much as I upgrade my PC all the time) - I'd want it done properly myself soif there WAS a problem it would clearly be a problem that Samsung would have to deal with.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Samsung-LE40M86B...ure-Quality.php

Interesting quote:

Sidenote: "Movie Plus" was automatically engaged (as long as it's possible) every time I changed input source, or even change resolution/ aspect ratio over the same connection, despite it being labelled clearly as "Off" in the user menu. To disable it I had to turn it on first and then turn it off.

Update To Sidenote (20 May 2007): Newer panels with the latest firmware no longer have this problem – "Movie Plus" settings are now saved per input.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Samsung-LE40M86B...ure-Quality.php

Interesting quote:

Sidenote: "Movie Plus" was automatically engaged (as long as it's possible) every time I changed input source, or even change resolution/ aspect ratio over the same connection, despite it being labelled clearly as "Off" in the user menu. To disable it I had to turn it on first and then turn it off.

Update To Sidenote (20 May 2007): Newer panels with the latest firmware no longer have this problem – "Movie Plus" settings are now saved per input.

Thats good to hear, will be buying one next week and hopefully it will be new enough to not have the movie plus problems.. or the damn xbox vga problem.

Thats good to hear, will be buying one next week and hopefully it will be new enough to not have the movie plus problems.. or the damn xbox vga problem.

Can someone post a vid or something of what movie plus looks like and doesn't look like. Does it affect games? I can't seem to see any difference.

I just called up samsung service center on the number listed earlier in this thread: Melb is 9877 0109

I have the 46M81 model

My DVD player is hooked up via component and I was finding that when I stopped a dvd during playback, and when resuming the DVD feature, movie plus would engage itself again. This is quite possibly cause the wallpaper on the dvd player idle screen was taken from a NTSC feature while the movie I was watching was a PAL feature. Quite annoying I may point out...

The lady that answers the phone doesn't know anything really but just books in service call outs. I've organized for them to come out to have a look at the movie plus problem.

Not sure if its been posted or mentioned earlier, has someone actually had a tech come and sucessfully fix the problem on the spot or have they needed to take it away and return it. If they have taken it away to be repaired, was the bug resolved when the set was returned?

I'm a bit iffy about the set being transported back and forth on something that might not get fixed up anyway.

Can anyone comment on their experiences with this mob? Apparently they are located in Blackburn 3130 in Melbourne.

Cheers.

I just called up samsung service center on the number listed earlier in this thread: Melb is 9877 0109

I have the 46M81 model

My DVD player is hooked up via component and I was finding that when I stopped a dvd during playback, and when resuming the DVD feature, movie plus would engage itself again. This is quite possibly cause the wallpaper on the dvd player idle screen was taken from a NTSC feature while the movie I was watching was a PAL feature. Quite annoying I may point out...

The lady that answers the phone doesn't know anything really but just books in service call outs. I've organized for them to come out to have a look at the movie plus problem.

Not sure if its been posted or mentioned earlier, has someone actually had a tech come and sucessfully fix the problem on the spot or have they needed to take it away and return it. If they have taken it away to be repaired, was the bug resolved when the set was returned?

I'm a bit iffy about the set being transported back and forth on something that might not get fixed up anyway.

Can anyone comment on their experiences with this mob? Apparently they are located in Blackburn 3130 in Melbourne.

Cheers.

I've used them before and they were fine. They came out to fix the tuner issue that the M81's had when they first came out. Tech was really helpful and knew what he was talking about. I showed the tech the movie plus problem when he was here and he agreed it was a problem. He also said that when a firmware update was available he could come and and update my TV.

After having a chance to compare DTV/DVD programming with movie+ off, it definitely looks better with it turned off. Knowing now that my set is affected it is so irritating seeing the movie + feature on regular TV programming, without fail, I find myself having to go into the menu every single time to disengage the feature whenever I switch between modes. (Thank god MOVIE+ is disabled by default for HDMI inputs)

Am I to understand that if everything that entered this panel was via HDMI, like say the new Onkyo receiver that takes all sources and outputs them via HDMI, then this feature is disabled anyways?

Thanks

I haven't noticed it yet, and I probably misunderstand the issue! :D

I notice it now.

I see a "glassy" halo effect around heads (and less obviously, bodies) that are moving quickly relative to the rest of the image. Seems to stand out more prominently when replaying recorded SD from my Strong SRT 5390 PVR. Annoying that it doesn't stay OFF!

This sort of bug should be a voluntary recall from Samsung. But I'd be reluctant to move the TV and transport it in the back of the wagon for a minor update though. Either a tech should come to your house (free call) or a user firmware upgrade for those of us with the appropriate cable and nous.

I'll be watching this space (and Samsung) for further developments.