Sign in to follow this  
JasonInMelbourne

Samsung 1080p Owners

Just picked up the new samsung 650 46", and am confused if it has built in HDTV. It says DTV on the box and manual, but no mention of HDTV? The website states HDTV, but from comparing the picture to my XBR 46", it seriously looks SD??? Anyone confirm if you own the set :)

Yes it does. Specifically, it features a built-in HD tuner and I'm surprised that you found the picture looking like SD. The 650 is one of the best models on the market right now (unless you're a Sony fanboy).

Where did you see this TV and what kind of feed was it getting ?

Yes it does. Specifically, it features a built-in HD tuner and I'm surprised that you found the picture looking like SD. The 650 is one of the best models on the market right now (unless you're a Sony fanboy).

Where did you see this TV and what kind of feed was it getting ?

I set it up at home :)

The picture on Blu-ray is great, but the DTV seriously looks a bit average next to the Sony (I have them side by side). Great TV though, especially for the price - I got it for $3000

Hi All

I am having issues with my LA46M81BDX.

Specifically with B.S. from samsung.

I had an issue with the digital tuner and the mainboard was replaced under warranty.

After the repair the TV no longer supports 24Hz mode.

I spoke with the repair company and they were feed some line from Samsung that "all the new boards only run at 50-60Hz"

As far as I was aware some of the early releases of M81 didn't support 24Hz but that all of the new ones did.

What I suspect has happened is that the spare mainboards are old stock and that Samsung is hiding behind the fact that the specs for the M81 does not state that it is 24Hz compliant.

Anyone else have any insight.

I hope this is fixed by firmware because if the EDID is hard coded I doubt samsung will do the right thing and supply the correct mainboard.

Argh! I hope this does not happen to me >_<

My TV (exact same model as yours) has just decided to not work properly, I turn it on, see a dimly lit image for about 2 seconds, and whilst it is on for those 2 seconds hear an audible buzzing noise, then it flicks itself back off.

Called up to get it collected and repaired but I can only hope I do not have the same issue as you...!

I realise also that these TVs don't display 24hz correctly as they can't display it in a multiple of 24, but the resulting image definitely displays a marked advantage in panning scenes, they just look noticeable smoother. But yeah I can see what you are saying, it was never a listed feature of this TV, thus they don't have to really do anything about it if your TV is repaired and the feature has disappeared!

I'll report back when I get my TV back and hopefully I won't be reporting the same news as I'll be pretty miffed...

Argh! I hope this does not happen to me >_<

My TV (exact same model as yours) has just decided to not work properly, I turn it on, see a dimly lit image for about 2 seconds, and whilst it is on for those 2 seconds hear an audible buzzing noise, then it flicks itself back off.

Called up to get it collected and repaired but I can only hope I do not have the same issue as you...!

I realise also that these TVs don't display 24hz correctly as they can't display it in a multiple of 24, but the resulting image definitely displays a marked advantage in panning scenes, they just look noticeable smoother. But yeah I can see what you are saying, it was never a listed feature of this TV, thus they don't have to really do anything about it if your TV is repaired and the feature has disappeared!

I'll report back when I get my TV back and hopefully I won't be reporting the same news as I'll be pretty miffed...

Actually scratch that, for whatever reason after having my TV unplugged all week it decided to start working perfectly again... the day before the repair guys are due to collect it.. lol

Hi,

I have just purchased a LA40M81 from my local Retra store and i am very pleased with it,

but now i want to see what this baby is really capable of!!!

Can anyone tell me or give me some pointers on picture display and what to set it at.

Thanks

I have an LA40n81BD, and it's totally sweet.

I have a question: I want to use it (occasionally) as a monitor for my computer. It's only got VGA, though, so should I get an HDMI-DVI adapter and use the HDMI input instead?

I have an LA40n81BD, and it's totally sweet.

I have a question: I want to use it (occasionally) as a monitor for my computer. It's only got VGA, though, so should I get an HDMI-DVI adapter and use the HDMI input instead?

I've been using my computer at full 1080 resolution without any problem over VGA (on Vista).

Using HDMI could end up being cheaper depending on the length the VGA cable needs to be. I bought a VGA cable about a week ago for $22 for 2m (at Dick Smith), and the EzyHD cables advertised around these pages are $20 for 2m, so $$ is pretty much the same. I'd probably buy HDMI because that's what everything is now going towards.

The only other thing is that you could run into issues if you are using VGA --> DVI --> HDMI, but I'm not in that situation so I can't comment.

Hi guys, just got my M81 yesterday ad it's great, really impressive and all.

the only thing is, the quality of DVD (i don't have a Blu ray player) is not great (i imagine it's the scaling issues)

any idea on how to tone down that ?

i'm using an HDMI cable as the guy from the shop showed it was improving quality. but it isn't as good as in the shop (he used a normal DVD on a player with Din cables then with HDMI and it did improve a lot...)

thank you in advance for the tip... :D

by the way, i can't find much info on this TV on the Web, is it because it's end of life or is it a different reference N° in the rest of the world?

i'm from France and found the closest model in spec is the M86 is it the same or???

thanks

the only thing is, the quality of DVD (i don't have a Blu ray player) is not great (i imagine it's the scaling issues)

i'm using an HDMI cable as the guy from the shop showed it was improving quality. but it isn't as good as in the shop (he used a normal DVD on a player with Din cables then with HDMI and it did improve a lot...)

There is no real way to make DVD look good on any HD panel, if you're comparing the image with HD DVD or Blu-ray. When you think about it, it's magnifying 576 lines (or 480 lines, in USA) over 1080 lines, and, inherently magnifying the flaws with DVD as well, even if you're using an upscaler (i.e. rubbish in, rubbish out). Dialing down the Sharpness setting to 0 and a good quality HDMI cable should help somewhat.

If you don't want to go to the trouble of replacing your DVD collection, Toshiba's image restoring DVD player should be out by the end of the year, which is supposed to make DVDs look almost as good as HD DVD/Blu-ray by overlaying several frames of film and applying an algorithm to create a more detailed frame of film, rather than simple upscaling.

Edited by JasonInMelbourne

Selling my LA46M81BDX as i upgraded today to the 52inch A650.

2yrs warranty left. Perfect condition, box, manaul, remote all perfect. Looking for around $2000

In Brisbane

Edited by Pallamallawa

Selling my LA46M81BDX as i upgraded today to the 52inch A650.

2yrs warranty left. Perfect condition, box, manaul, remote all perfect. $2000

In Brisbane

how do you find the A650 compared to the M81 in PQ?

does the 52" look a lot bigger than the 46" at home?

Just interested as I have a 46" F81 and I'm getting the 52" A650 next week.

Tried to get an idea on how much bigger it will look but its so hard to judge in the store

cheers

Not much bigger. My brother came home from work tonight and didnt notice i had a new tv. The room is quite dark. Wasnt until i told him about it and he said he didnt even know.

To me it looks bigger than i thought it would.

Nice tv.

Edited by Pallamallawa

There is no real way to make DVD look good on any HD panel, if you're comparing the image with HD DVD or Blu-ray. When you think about it, it's magnifying 576 lines (or 480 lines, in USA) over 1080 lines, and, inherently magnifying the flaws with DVD as well, even if you're using an upscaler (i.e. rubbish in, rubbish out). Dialing down the Sharpness setting to 0 and a good quality HDMI cable should help somewhat.

If you don't want to go to the trouble of replacing your DVD collection, Toshiba's image restoring DVD player should be out by the end of the year, which is supposed to make DVDs look almost as good as HD DVD/Blu-ray by overlaying several frames of film and applying an algorithm to create a more detailed frame of film, rather than simple upscaling.

the Toshiba thingy sound good. do you have any idea of the cost? what format it'll read? will there be a Blu ray version (if i have to buy yet another player, i might as well buy a blu ray since i've got already an amp/DVD and a HDD/DVD player.

thanks a lot for your advise anyway. :D

the Toshiba thingy sound good. do you have any idea of the cost? what format it'll read? will there be a Blu ray version (if i have to buy yet another player, i might as well buy a blu ray since i've got already an amp/DVD and a HDD/DVD player.

If the Toshiba is as good as they say it is,its well worth waiting for.It will give a new lease of life to DVD's.

Notice that since Blu-ray won the set and disc prices have not moved have they.

Good old Sony,still trying to rip of every cent they can.

Maybe they need the cash for all the class action suites that there copy protected CD's invoked in the states.

HDrocks: :P Without Blu-ray.

Just picked up the new samsung 650 46", and am confused if it has built in HDTV. It says DTV on the box and manual, but no mention of HDTV? The website states HDTV, but from comparing the picture to my XBR 46", it seriously looks SD??? Anyone confirm if you own the set :)

I found that for the most part the HDTV picture is much better with the 100hz motion flow feature turned off. I agree that it does not look so good for most TV with the motion flow on.

Cheers,

KH.

I have a 40" Samsung 1080p and my DVD's looked a bit average. So I bought an "Oppo 983" DVD player. It upscales standard DVD's to 1080p. It's absolutely brilliant! Price in Oz $450 - expensive but worth it! Picture is almost as good as Blu-Ray. If you've spent a few thousand on your TV, and you have a good collection of DVD's, then it is money well spent.

Check it out at http://www.oppodigital.com/dv983h/

Can be bought from the Australian distributor at http://www.merlinaudiodesign.com.au

Edited by nexus7

If the Toshiba is as good as they say it is,its well worth waiting for.It will give a new lease of life to DVD's.

Maybe they need the cash for all the class action suites that there copy protected CD's invoked in the states.

When we spoke to the Toshiba rep, he said they're aiming for a release in time for Chrismas '08. Since they lost the HD disc war, they've concentrated their efforts to make a device capable of getting the absolute best image quality from standard DVDs, to negate the need for blu-ray. They've taken a different direction to your standard upscaling by using a similar technique to film restoration, which sounds very promising. And all for a measley $250, which would make blu-ray VERY nervous!!!! So if you're more concerned about image than sound, and the new Toshiba DVD player can do a job very close to hi-def for a fraction of the price of a blu-ray player without the need to replace your entire movie collection, blu-ray is looking a tad overpriced.

The player is supposed to be just a DVD/CD player and currently nothing has been said if MP3, DivX, WMV or WMA files will be supported.

As I've mentioned, it's all currently prototype and no one from the public has seen it working. So I can't wait to see if it stacks up to all the positive murmrings being emitted from Toshiba...

Edited by JasonInMelbourne

Thanks guys for all the info !

i'll be waiting eagerly the new Toshiba player then...

I've been using my computer at full 1080 resolution without any problem over VGA (on Vista).

Using HDMI could end up being cheaper depending on the length the VGA cable needs to be. I bought a VGA cable about a week ago for $22 for 2m (at Dick Smith), and the EzyHD cables advertised around these pages are $20 for 2m, so $$ is pretty much the same. I'd probably buy HDMI because that's what everything is now going towards.

The only other thing is that you could run into issues if you are using VGA --> DVI --> HDMI, but I'm not in that situation so I can't comment.

I have my tv wall-mounted in my room now... sooo sweet.

On the pc-tv thing, my PC only has DVI-I out. Am I better off going dvi-i to vga or dvi-i to hdmi?

So does anyone have clouding issues?

Can anything be done about it?

Just got my 46"a650 and i've got clouding in the top right corner. It's only when the screen is black. I've got the backlight on 3. Am i being picky or is this normal? Is there anything you can do about it?

Thanks

On the pc-tv thing, my PC only has DVI-I out. Am I better off going dvi-i to vga or dvi-i to hdmi?

DVI-I to HDMI, without question. Why insert an extra DAC/ADC if you don't have to?

Well my TV has given up the ghost again! >_< It still works but sometimes it doesn't want to stay on, so called up the closest service centre for a pickup tomorrow and hopefully it'll be fixed up before too long!

Well my TV has given up the ghost again! >_< It still works but sometimes it doesn't want to stay on, so called up the closest service centre for a pickup tomorrow and hopefully it'll be fixed up before too long!

Hey guys, I gave the service centre a call today to see how my TV repair was going and they said because it's a Samsung TV they can only repair it as Samsung instruct them to. They've been told to replace the panel of the TV, which to my understanding is basically the screen component of the TV, now I was wondering.. will this affect anything else to do with the TV? I only ask as shortly after I bought my TV I got a more recent firmware installed to correct the movie plus problem (movie plus mode constantly turning on whenever there is an input change or the tv is turned off).

Now I'm wondering, is my interpretation of what the 'panel' entails correct? In that it is merely the viewable screen component, or is there more to it? I'm assuming that the motherboard is what stores/handles the firmware of the television, so I'm just trying to ascertain as to whether or not the entirety of the unit will be replaced (but put back inside the old casing) and if I'm going to need to get the firmware installed again when I get it back.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

guys, i have bought a PS3 and although it is very expensive, i think it's still better value than the toshiba reader, it reads blu ray (i know there is not much choice of films at the moment) it is an awesome console and it upscales the DVDs like nothing i've seen yet!

i'm really happy with it and if you're a high def addict, and a gamer , that's definitely the one for you !