Sign in to follow this  
JasonInMelbourne

Samsung 1080p Owners

hey all i'm having problems running my ps3 thought my new la46m81bd thats my 46 lcd the ps3 works killa on my tv but every time i got to put a blue ray movie on it goes whit ???? i'm run hdmi to but not sure if its set up right can any one help????

Hi there as mentioned i have the same problem and it's got to do with the EDID on the mother try turning off the 24khz on the playstation and it should work but the movie will be played at 1920 by 1080 at 60khz.

Thanks for your reply........

I would like to hope I have the right cable as it was supplied in the box with the DVD Player by Samsung :huh: . Incidentally does anyone know how to identify a 1.3 HDMI cable?

They all look the same.

All HDMI cables are architectually the same. That is, a 1.1 cable has the same physical structure as a 1.3b. Same connectors, same cable ply, etc. The only difference is that 1.3, 1.3a or 1.3b cable has been tested to ensure that it can carry the digital signal along it's length without significant signal degradation. Over short lengths (less than about 1.5 metres) a budget or older version cable should be able to carry a 1.3 signal without problem.

But over longer lengths, the amount of signal loss with a "Non" 1.3 cable will affect picture and sound quality. Say, for example, when running a cable length of 10-odd metres from an AVR, blu-ray or HD DVD player to a front projector.

As a general rule of thumb, spend a proportionate amount on cables compared to your system cost. That is, don't let a $50 cable be the weak link in a system worth $20,000.

Edited by JasonInMelbourne

Hi all,

Just a quick question- Do your Samsungs have horribly slow EPGs? I bought one about 3 weeks ago and the EPG has to download the whole guide everytime I press 'Guide' and then generates a 'loading' and drops the signal for 10 seconds or so. It also fails to pick up other network's EPGs unless I am watching that channel at the time.

Also, does anyone's panel randomly say 'No Signal' about 1/4 times and have to be switched off and on again? I'd just like to check before I phone Samsung.

I've got a 40" M81.

Edited by jchowland

Hi all,

Just a quick question- Do your Samsungs have horribly slow EPGs? I bought one about 3 weeks ago and the EPG has to download the whole guide everytime I press 'Guide' and then generates a 'loading' and drops the signal for 10 seconds or so. It also fails to pick up other network's EPGs unless I am watching that channel at the time.

Also, does anyone's panel randomly say 'No Signal' about 1/4 times and have to be switched off and on again? I'd just like to check before I phone Samsung.

I've got a 40" M81.

yep, samsung sure are flaky units!!!!

(or are all LCD's as glitchy as Samsung?)

i always thought that EGP issue was due to reception inconsistency (it gets the info from the broadcasts), sometimes mine is fine, other times it takes ages like you are stating...

i also get the No Signal issue you note, however, just by hitting the TV/DTV button twice fixes it for me... ( i shouldn't *have* to fix it, but i guess it is better than not working at all?)

Is the Samsung 40" F8 any good or should wait for the new Series 6 & 7 panels?

Hi all,

I've got a 40" M81.

My 40" R8 behaves exactly as you described, so you're not alone. Yet my Topfield 5000MP displays its EPG instantly. The 'no signal' problem occurred once. It seems to happen when you exit the EPG before it's finished loading. I turned the set off and back on again... thanks to the other poster for the 'press the TV/DTV button to fix it!

Mine works perfectly with the 52" LCD and the HT-BDT2

I hope you changed your HDMI cable first - that is the most likely cause. You need a certified 1.3 HDMI cable to make this work (note: many of the "expensive" Monster and Belkin HDMI cables are NOT 1.3).

You should buy one of the $25 HDMI cables from Fox on these forums - they definetely work.

Finally got it back, still with original cable but new innards. They had to replace the main circuit board (still didn't work) then the HDMI board that got it up and running. Glad to say everything looks and runs ok.

Hi all. About a week ago I got a la40m81bdx. With the backlight at anything but 10, it emits a low buzz constantly. It seems to change in tone as the screen gets darker. For example as I change channels and see a blank screen for a second while switching, the buzzing is quite bad. Leaving the backlight at 10 I won't hear it until the image on screen gets dark. It's usually only noticeable when the TV is on mute or low volume but its quite annoying due to it not being a constant sound...

Is this expected behavior with these TV's? Or should I try to do something about it? Thanks.

Is this expected behavior with these TV's? Or should I try to do something about it? Thanks.

No, this sounds like a problem with the TV. Turning the backlight up to torch mode is not the solution. You're just burning up your TV to tune out a serious issue. Call the store and say you've got a problem. They have to replace a faulty TV within 14 days. There's no need to call Samsung support.

damnit... i guess it was too good to be true.

got a call about my 58" P9 from HN (CBD/SA) and was told that they spoke to Samsung who said there's a 4 week min wait... more likely 6-8 week.

so i started ringing around. Good Guys (Pooraka/SA) first of all couldnt match the HN price, and secondly spoke to Samsung who stated that the model was discontinued so couldnt get any in anyway. then i spoke to JB Hifi (TTP/SA) who advised me that they only have one display item (and couldn't match the HN price anyway) and confirmed that the model was discontinued.

Oh please god no......

I had clearance to buy the 58 inch after tax time...this TV was like my first crush, now what am I to do????? :(

Hi all. About a week ago I got a la40m81bdx. With the backlight at anything but 10, it emits a low buzz constantly. It seems to change in tone as the screen gets darker. For example as I change channels and see a blank screen for a second while switching, the buzzing is quite bad. Leaving the backlight at 10 I won't hear it until the image on screen gets dark. It's usually only noticeable when the TV is on mute or low volume but its quite annoying due to it not being a constant sound...

No, this sounds like a problem with the TV. Turning the backlight up to torch mode is not the solution. You're just burning up your TV to tune out a serious issue. Call the store and say you've got a problem. They have to replace a faulty TV within 14 days. There's no need to call Samsung support.

As Kulfi says, you've got a problem and to ramp up the Backlight to 10 will shorten the life of your lamp (although, not by a huge amount) and not actually solve the problem. It sounds like a faulty power supply that gets noisy when it's not under a big load.

This may sound like a crazy idea, but have you tried a different power socket in the house that is on a different phase to make sure it's not the power supply in the house that's actually the issue? I doubt if this is the problem, but you never know until you give it a try.

Also, are you plugging the power cord for the Sammy direct into the wall or into a power board?

Thanks for the replies guys.

This may sound like a crazy idea, but have you tried a different power socket in the house that is on a different phase to make sure it's not the power supply in the house that's actually the issue? I doubt if this is the problem, but you never know until you give it a try.

Also, are you plugging the power cord for the Sammy direct into the wall or into a power board?

Yea I'm connecting it to a cheap new 6 port power board, and I haven't tried any other power points, i'll test that out tonight. Cheers.

Well I just tried it plugged directly in to a different socket in the house. Still got the same thing so I guess i'll call good guys about a swap tomorrow.

Today I watched samsung latest 40' 5 series. I am not impressed by it at all. Comparing with SONY d series, even palsonic, the picture quality is worse. I also watch Spider Man with Sony X & W series and Samsung's bad name F series and admit F series really earns its bad names.

I did not watch SS M series which are discontinued and has good reputations.

I am not sure if SS 5 series needs more tunning or not. It is cheaper, around $1800 to $1900 post negotiation and it is Full HD.

My budget is below $2000.

Can anyone comment on this please

Today I watched samsung latest 40' 5 series. I am not impressed by it at all. Comparing with SONY d series, even palsonic, the picture quality is worse. I also watch Spider Man with Sony X & W series and Samsung's bad name F series and admit F series really earns its bad names.

I am not sure if SS 5 series needs more tunning or not. It is cheaper, around $1800 to $1900 post negotiation and it is Full HD.

What did you watch ? Only Spider-Man ?

Where did you watch it ?

Did you set it up correctly or was it running on the default store settings ?

Was it fed by a BluRay player or from a normal DVD ?

What kind of connection was going from the player to the TV ?

How does the F-series earn its bad reputation ?

You're giving very little information and want others to spend their time making a lot of guesswork. Why is that ?

where did you find that the F series has a bad reputation?

The F series is regarded very highly in LCD tv's

What did you watch ? Only Spider-Man ?

Where did you watch it ?

Did you set it up correctly or was it running on the default store settings ?

Was it fed by a BluRay player or from a normal DVD ?

What kind of connection was going from the player to the TV ?

How does the F-series earn its bad reputation ?

You're giving very little information and want others to spend their time making a lot of guesswork. Why is that ?

where did you find that the F series has a bad reputation?

The F series is regarded very highly in LCD tv's

Kulfi, Shano, I think you're both onto something here. These wild claims that the F Series has a bad reputation are very strange. And this bloke (I presume is a bloke) hasn't given us enough information about the set-up he was watching, or that he watched it for an extended period of time with different material, which suggests he doesn't know what he's looking for nor has he patience to do it himself.

Rooster1, please proove my assumptions about you wrong and supply us with more information about where you saw this "bad" Samsung, the model, what the viewing material was (Blu-ray or DVD) and how it was connected to the set. Even a wall of Full HD sets connected by Component to a single blu-ray/HD source can look bad unless the store uses a quality amplified signal distributor.

Hi,

Just a quick question - I'm going to be calling Samsung to see if there's a Firmware update for my LA40M81 to see if it fixes a couple of issues - anyone care to tell me what version they're currently on? My box says version SX03 and Firmware 1007.

Cheers All!

So does anyone have clouding issues?

Can anything be done about it?

Hi All

I am having issues with my LA46M81BDX.

Specifically with B.S. from samsung.

I had an issue with the digital tuner and the mainboard was replaced under warranty.

After the repair the TV no longer supports 24Hz mode.

I spoke with the repair company and they were feed some line from Samsung that "all the new boards only run at 50-60Hz"

As far as I was aware some of the early releases of M81 didn't support 24Hz but that all of the new ones did.

What I suspect has happened is that the spare mainboards are old stock and that Samsung is hiding behind the fact that the specs for the M81 does not state that it is 24Hz compliant.

Anyone else have any insight.

I hope this is fixed by firmware because if the EDID is hard coded I doubt samsung will do the right thing and supply the correct mainboard.

Hi All

I am having issues with my LA46M81BDX.

Specifically with B.S. from samsung.

I had an issue with the digital tuner and the mainboard was replaced under warranty.

After the repair the TV no longer supports 24Hz mode.

I spoke with the repair company and they were feed some line from Samsung that "all the new boards only run at 50-60Hz"

As far as I was aware some of the early releases of M81 didn't support 24Hz but that all of the new ones did.

What I suspect has happened is that the spare mainboards are old stock and that Samsung is hiding behind the fact that the specs for the M81 does not state that it is 24Hz compliant.

Anyone else have any insight.

I hope this is fixed by firmware because if the EDID is hard coded I doubt samsung will do the right thing and supply the correct mainboard.

I hate to respond to my own post but after looking at this thread regarding the US version of the M81 (i.e. 65 series) I think Samsung have done a number on all of us.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=13044149

BTW I was using a PS3 and while forcing the 24Hz mode it came back as "mode not supported"

Edited by jquin

How do i switch the m81 from shop mode to home mode? Somehow it has reverted back to shop mode and i lost all my settings no wonder i was getting more eye strain lately. I can't find how to switch it to home in the manual or samsung website.

Thanks.

How do i switch the m81 from shop mode to home mode? Somehow it has reverted back to shop mode and i lost all my settings no wonder i was getting more eye strain lately. I can't find how to switch it to home in the manual or samsung website.

Thanks.

You have to go and run 'plug and play setup' again, where it should ask if you want home or shop mode.

All the best.....

Just picked up the new samsung 650 46", and am confused if it has built in HDTV. It says DTV on the box and manual, but no mention of HDTV? The website states HDTV, but from comparing the picture to my XBR 46", it seriously looks SD??? Anyone confirm if you own the set :)