Sign in to follow this  
JasonInMelbourne

Samsung 1080p Owners

i think that technique was meant for the PC using a HDMI connection. Is this something you can try out for me?

Also, try 1280x768, my memory may be failing on the specific res i read about.. was around that are so give it a go while i try and find where i read it (not on thie forum)

I can't hook up my PC to the TV. It's in another room and I don't have the cables to do so...but I'll try adjusting the 360 resolution again on another TV then re hook it back up and see how I go.

give it a go, but if you're not using HDMI for the 360 I don't expect it to work.

But in all seriousness, if your panel is showing the image, then turning off... mate thats just a crook tv

Existenz: I connected my xbox360 through VGA and I have the same problem as you. The TV switches off as soon as I set the rez to 1080p in the xbox dashboard. If I connect throught component, I don't have this issue. But the problem is dvds don't get upscaled when using component and HD-DVDs only play back at 1080i. I've been reading a UK forum and it appears this is a common issue for the Sammy and xbox360. The jury is still out on whether its the tv's fault or the xbox. http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread....77&page=108

I dont know what to do. I'm thinking of returning the set as I have clouding. But with the recall happening , how long will I be without a TV??

Yup, XBox360 owners are boned for 1080p over VGA, and neither Microsoft or Samsung are saying anything about it. I knew there was a reason I was hanging out for an HDMI equipped XBox....

but apparently pc hdmi has the same problem....

I'm getting happier about my decision to go the LG by the minute...

is the m81 the vista equivilant? Ie. release way too early :blink:

So I take it my TV isn't stuffed? I am still tempted to return it for the clouding issues, but what are the chances of getting another unit with no clouding?

give it a go, but if you're not using HDMI for the 360 I don't expect it to work.

But in all seriousness, if your panel is showing the image, then turning off... mate thats just a crook tv

I picked up the 40" m81 on Sat and had the same issue with it switching to standby when setting the res to 1920x1080 via vga pc input. I tried it with 3 different mac's in the house and all did the same. Tried my old word PC and it worked fine?? So if figured it must be the mac hardware.

So, I installed windows via bootcamp on my mac mini and then it accepted the 1920x1080 res. So therefore it must software/driver related.

I know use it on HDMI 2 with just scan option it it works perfectly with 1920x1080 res.

I have the cloudy problem when the backlight is set too high aswell. But, had a professional calibration done by a friend and it's now not visible when set to backlight 3.

Has anyone done a good calibration on the set yet? I've used the HDTV.co.uk settings and they aren't bad, but I think it's not quite there, esp. for TV.

I do agree about the HDTV.com.uk settings. I thought they were close, but there was something I just couldn't put my finger on.

I did post a calibration a little way back for my 46" TV settings. I did this using Spyder TV Pro, and includes complete grey scale settings.

The only thing I have changed since is changing the back light setting to Auto for daylight viewing. I have found that viewing the channel 7 HD loop is much better with the settings I posted then the HDTV settings.

Enjoy

Christopher

Cheers, will give them a run through tomorrow.

TimD - how much does your friend usually charge for calibration?

A slab for myself :blink:

But I think the standard $200 range for a call out I think.

I picked up the 40" m81 on Sat and had the same issue with it switching to standby when setting the res to 1920x1080 via vga pc input. I tried it with 3 different mac's in the house and all did the same. Tried my old word PC and it worked fine?? So if figured it must be the mac hardware.

That's weird, I hooked up my Mac Pro to it via VGA and it auto detected the Mac at 1080 fist time. No problems since so I am not sure what to make of that.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Christopher

Let me know what you think.

Christopher

That's weird, I hooked up my Mac Pro to it via VGA and it auto detected the Mac at 1080 fist time. No problems since so I am not sure what to make of that.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Christopher

I've tried with my macbook pro, latest revsion, and it still does the same thing over vga. Doesn't matter too much as the DVI>HDMI looks much better anyway.

I've tried with my macbook pro, latest revsion, and it still does the same thing over vga. Doesn't matter too much as the DVI>HDMI looks much better anyway.

I have been curious as to the difference between the HDMI and VGA inputs. As yet I haven't had a chance to calibrate the Mac Pro and the TV on the VGA input so I am not going to judge it too harshly untill I have done it. Should find the time this weekend to finish calibrating all the inputs. I'll post the settings when I am finished, so give them a go and tell me what the difference is between them and if you like them.

Christopher

in regards to teh xbox360 and VGA i have heard that MS were release a patch to get vga going at 1080P

i use component however and it set it to 1080P NP.

had to fiddle with my PC for a while to get 1080P and taht simply turned out i needed a updated driver from nvidia

Hi everyone. Got my 40" M81 today. Going through the setup of the PC through VGA I found that I couldn't get the TV to accept my PC res at 1920 x 1080. It would goto auto adjustment & when my display returned it was on the old res. By going through my display settings I noticed the refresh rate was set to 70 Hertz. By changing that to 60 I was able to get it to accept the 1920 x 1080 res. I hope this is helpful to some who may have some problems with the input from the PC though the VGA port.

Hey guys

Just a quick question to the 40" M81 owners. Had a look at one today on display and noticed that it didn't seem to stand perpendicular to the stand, ie it was leaning forward a bit and not standing straight. Is this adjustable and if not, has any M81 owners noticed this?

Also, anyone have the TV in a well lit room? Is it quite reflective or not too bad?

Howdy

My screen is perpendicular and this doesn't appear to be adjustable, so I suspect either your eyes deceived you or the store has wonky shelves!

I have the screen is a fairly bright room and the reflectiveness has only been apparent when the screen is turned off, so not a problem. I do avoid watching it with bright sources behind me though, but in full daylight the screen is perfectly watchable.

Hope that helps!

Howdy

My screen is perpendicular and this doesn't appear to be adjustable, so I suspect either your eyes deceived you or the store has wonky shelves!

I have the screen is a fairly bright room and the reflectiveness has only been apparent when the screen is turned off, so not a problem. I do avoid watching it with bright sources behind me though, but in full daylight the screen is perfectly watchable.

Hope that helps!

Awesome - thanks for the quick reply...really appreciated.

PS, I put my deposit down on the LG 47lb2de this afternoon.. pickup saturday. Not going through the same backlight bull!@#$ with samsung. They better get both panel and firmware right first... amazing really.

Gazz, when you get the LG can you tell us all about it in a new thread please. I've had my eye on this one as well.

I've got one of their older 37" models and it's worked nicely over the years.

Hi Folks,

Just wondering how you feel about running you pcs on La m8 40s?

What vgas are you using?

Not having any luck looking for vgas with hdmi outputs, please, some pointers.

I'm interested in what theatre set ups your using too, i'm impressed with the Bose, but not so keen on the price and cables! Watched 300 last night, stnd dvd, upscaled through hr-735 on progressive. WOW! God bless Frank!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi Folks,

What vgas are you using?

I'm interested in what theatre set ups your using too, i'm impressed with the Bose, but not so keen on the price and cables! Watched 300 last night, stnd dvd, upscaled through hr-735 on progressive. WOW! God bless Frank!

I have a crappy old PC hooked up to it at the moment to play my MP3's and to run our wedding photos as a screensaver (keeps the wife happy :blink: ) and it runs just fine.

As for Home Theatre, see my earlier post. Buy it up in bits, skip integrated systems (though i'm sure the Bose one is very good). Shop around for parts and don't be afraid to go 2nd hand. My setup is probably very crude by enthusiast standards, but it sounds great! Ignore the snobbery, there's a lot of it about.

Hi Folks,

What vgas are you using?

See my signature.