Sign in to follow this  
JasonInMelbourne

Samsung 1080p Owners

Sorry mate is the f81 going for 1700 before cash back now ?

More likely M81 series is going for $1700.

Ahh thanks and the F81 ? What are they going for these days ? Looking for another 40' TV and I got a M81 that kicks ass but maybe a F81 would also be nice (or is it worth waiting for the newer model coming out soon.)

I heard of the Samsung M8 being able to support 24fps on one of the earlier threads. Please check for a post which has that information. I had also seen a similar post about the Samsung F8.

Yeah, I saw that too, that's why I mentioned it. It's just interesting Sony makes it a feature with their BRAVIA models, but I don't see any similar info from Samsung.

Knowing the panel sharing agreement between the two firms, I personally think the Bravia W and Samsung N series are made in the same factory (both from Malaysia). It also means that the Samsung should be to support 24fps. Just try this feature out in the shop before buying.

I would've thought this had more to do with the processing rather than the panel, but I understand where you're coming from.

I have the 46" F8 and can confirm it does 24fps. I don't have a PS3 but it does 24fps without any issues using a Samsung blu-ray player (BD-P1400, latest firmware) over an HDMI connection.

I'm still leaning towards saving $600 to $700 with an M8 rather than going for the F8, so a confirmation with the M8 model would be appreciated. Good to know the F8 is fine however, as I would still keep it on the shopping list.

I was concerned about glare given the glossy screen and how bright my lounge room is (wall of windows and large skylight), but haven't had any problems. It's better than my old 76cm Panasonic CRT in terms of reflection - I pretty much only notice reflection when the F8 is off.

That said, the piano black finish is a dust magnet. They give you a cloth to clean it, and it works pretty well, but if you want it to be dust free you pretty much need to give a wipe every day. Kind of the same as owning a shiny black car, but they both look good!

Hope that helps.

Yes, that sure does. I too am more concerned about a shiny dust magnet in a high traffic area than the glare - in this case, the Sony BRAVIA is better (not the one with the perspex frame!)

PS3 will output 24fps I have tested with Sony VW50 projector. PS3 with firmware v2.0 have the forced 24fps feature enabled as a result it overcome some of the reported 24fps problem that associates with the firmware v1.8. The new firmware is v2.2.

Yeah, but the issue is whether the Samsung M8 would support it.

Sorry mate is the f81 going for 1700 before cash back now ?

The price I saw on this forum was $1,650 for the M8, and $2,300 for the F8 40-inch before cash back.

Hey All

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the samsung LA40m81bd and the LA40m81bdx at all??

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the samsung LA40m81bd and the LA40m81bdx at all??

No difference. The model code is BD and the with the Australian tuner, it's called the BDX. So the box or bezel may have BD written in some places but rest assured it is a BDX.

Hi all,

Bought myself a 46 M81 and have connected it to some 5.1 logitech's with optical cable.

Have a few issues - first is that with the sound on the tv as well as the logi's there is a distinct echo - tried standard RCA's but the echo persisted - is this normal? (Not really an issue but sometimes i CBF moving to grab the other remote and would like to be able to turn volume up a bit)

Also i cannot tune ABC HD/ABC 2 in on the digital. I'm in a bit of a bad area but have perfect quality with all other signals (i even get weird D44 stuff) but i would like to "force" the channel so that i can then try amplifying/moving antennas etc to see the signal gain - is this possible either?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Hi all,

Bought myself a 46 M81 and have connected it to some 5.1 logitech's with optical cable.

Have a few issues - first is that with the sound on the tv as well as the logi's there is a distinct echo - tried standard RCA's but the echo persisted - is this normal? (Not really an issue but sometimes i CBF moving to grab the other remote and would like to be able to turn volume up a bit)

Also i cannot tune ABC HD/ABC 2 in on the digital. I'm in a bit of a bad area but have perfect quality with all other signals (i even get weird D44 stuff) but i would like to "force" the channel so that i can then try amplifying/moving antennas etc to see the signal gain - is this possible either?

Thanks in advance for any replies

If you're using an external set of speakers and an amplifier then you turn the sound off on the TV. The speakers in most TVs are just there as a last resort these days I think.

The echo of course would be either the TV's audio decoder, and the logitech audio decoder introducing different delays to the signals being fed to them by the HD digital tuner.

Need some advice please...

I was going to pick up a Sony BRAVIA KDL40W3100 - their cheapest Full HD panel - this coming weekend for $2,300 inc 5 years warranty.

Now that the Samsung prices have dropped, suddenly the LA40M81BDX and the LA40F81BDX have come back into contention. The former is great value at under $1,700 before cashback, and the latter is a better grade for a very similar price to Sony's entry level Full HD models.

The main questions I have are whether the glossy screen (and bezel - constant cleaning) would be prone to glare, and if these panels supported what Sony calls its 24fps - 24p True Cinema.

I've only seen one M8 sample at my local HN, but the light source there is soft and dark, so I'm not sure if it's a good guide. With 24p, I've read some posts in this thread that seem to indicate the PS3 would work with it, but I couldn't find it in the marketing material with Samsung.

Any suggestions out there? Someone with good perspective with both brands would be fantastic, thanks!

I have an F846, I am currently suffering teething troubles, BUT the glare does not seem to be a problem... i watch in a room with multi-hallogen lighting, and windows... as soon as the TV is turned on the reflectivity seems to go away. With the 1013 firmware upgrade, the TV seems to work perfectly with 1080p24 output from my bdp-1400.

Hey Broadbean just to confirm my M81 40" does 24 FPS no problem. I have a PS3 and play blu rays all the time with no problem at all. For 2300 for the F81 thats very tempting I must say (even better I have 1k worth of Myer vouchers) so that really makes it better.

I have an F846, I am currently suffering teething troubles, BUT the glare does not seem to be a problem... i watch in a room with multi-hallogen lighting, and windows... as soon as the TV is turned on the reflectivity seems to go away. With the 1013 firmware upgrade, the TV seems to work perfectly with 1080p24 output from my bdp-1400.
Hey Broadbean just to confirm my M81 40" does 24 FPS no problem. I have a PS3 and play blu rays all the time with no problem at all. For 2300 for the F81 thats very tempting I must say (even better I have 1k worth of Myer vouchers) so that really makes it better.

Hi guys, seems the 24p is no issue then. Thanks for the info! I also think the glare would not pose too big a problem...

Hi all,

Have a few issues - first is that with the sound on the tv as well as the logi's there is a distinct echo - tried standard RCA's but the echo persisted - is this normal?

yes, normal, but you should override it so it is set how is should be using external amplifier:

goto page 25 of the instructions and follow the steps to switch the "Internal Mute" to on position.

goto page 33 of the manual and follow the steps to "Input Channel Manually"...

(i have never had to do this, so not sure if it works - you *may* need to switch the "Blue Screen" option to off, see page 29 of the Manual)

PS - the Manual i am referring to is here: http://www.samsung.com/au/support/download...e=D&vType=R

Hi i was wondering if anyone has managed to connect a mac min (intel) into a 40M81 sammy.

I have only managed to get 1080p @ 30hz, and i was wondering if i could get 50hz, 60hz or 24hz. at 1080p? (using switchres, i forced the Mac)

I tried doing it once before, but the screen would jump, or the screen would go pink and green?

Any ideas?, BTW i am using a DVI to HDMI cable.

Thanks. :)

Edited by Nick@Brisvegas

Hi guys, seems the 24p is no issue then. Thanks for the info! I also think the glare would not pose too big a problem...

Yup with my down lights i dont get any glare at all. It looks like its going to have issues when the screen is off as its so reflective but its really not at all when you have an image on it.

I don't think I would go for the F81, but the M81 is still a possibility. Not able to get anywhere close to the $1,650 price as reported by matheadgetz however... Anyone got even close in Sydney?

At the same price, I would pick the BRAVIA W. For $500 less and two years more warranty, the Samsung would get the nod - despite its dust-magnet piano black finish.

Hi,

may I suggest you get the store to test it on the spot to give you complete assurance of 1080p24? Also, with glare, if it is an issue, if you have it wall mounted, tiliting it slightly down pretty much gets rid of any possible glare issues.

I have a M81 though have the movie plus issue - hopefully the service mob in Canberra will upgrade my firmware....any opinions or advice?

Thanks & Cheers

Steve

yes, normal, but you should override it so it is set how is should be using external amplifier:

goto page 25 of the instructions and follow the steps to switch the "Internal Mute" to on position.

Yeah - already doin that, just wondering though as my old CRT could do both

goto page 33 of the manual and follow the steps to "Input Channel Manually"...

(i have never had to do this, so not sure if it works - you *may* need to switch the "Blue Screen" option to off, see page 29 of the Manual)

PS - the Manual i am referring to is here: http://www.samsung.com/au/support/download...e=D&vType=R

Manual option still requires that the TV scans for channels - so its like a pseudo manual mode unfortunately :angry2:

Stupid ABC using the same channel multiple times in close proximity :(

Edited by mchieff

I don't know if this has been covered before but....

I've got an 52" M8 LCD and have a bit of a problem with PS3 @ 1080p.

It seems to be prone to "jittery" picture. I don't know how to explain it, but when I first start up the PS3 I get a bit of snow and jitters and then the TV seems to "lock into 1080p" and everything is fine (most of the time).

Occasionally though, if playing DVDs (upscaled) or games through the PS3, the picture seems to "jump" and "jitter" every now and again.

Is this a problem with the TV, PS3 or HDMI cable?

Any ideas?

I don't know if this has been covered before but....

I've got an 52" M8 LCD and have a bit of a problem with PS3 @ 1080p.

It seems to be prone to "jittery" picture. I don't know how to explain it, but when I first start up the PS3 I get a bit of snow and jitters and then the TV seems to "lock into 1080p" and everything is fine (most of the time).

Occasionally though, if playing DVDs (upscaled) or games through the PS3, the picture seems to "jump" and "jitter" every now and again.

Is this a problem with the TV, PS3 or HDMI cable?

Any ideas?

Most likely errors introduced by a bad cable connection. I have seen this before with HDMI, and think it is the same as what you are describing (at least the jumps). Try reseating the cable, running it away from power leads or even plugging it in around the other way, see if it improves.

Mind you it could be an internal connection in the TV or PS3 that has gone bad.....but check the cheaper option first! :)

just ordered the 58" P9 tonight for a reasonable price. however due to uncertainties with stock (currently out of stock and yet to confirm with samy), im considering changing this to a 63" P7. apart from size difference and err the price, what are people's opinions?

and would you say the price difference was worth it? thoughts please.

New to the forum, but I just bought a LA46F81BD LCD. Picture quality is fantastic and is even better than my M series.

I have a problem though and thought I'd check if anyone else out there has had a similar problem?

I find that when I turn the TV off, my picture settings all disappear and I am left with the factory dynamic picture settings (and a lot of others) that I really do not want to view.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? I would have thought a TV worth this sort of money would be able to hold my viewing preferences in it's memory.

Any ideas?

Paul Simon

New to the forum, but I just bought a LA46F81BD LCD. Picture quality is fantastic and is even better than my M series.

I have a problem though and thought I'd check if anyone else out there has had a similar problem?

I find that when I turn the TV off, my picture settings all disappear and I am left with the factory dynamic picture settings (and a lot of others) that I really do not want to view.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? I would have thought a TV worth this sort of money would be able to hold my viewing preferences in it's memory.

Any ideas?

Paul Simon

I woulda thought if you spend that kinda money on a tv, you would read the manual :P Sounds like you just have it in Shop/Demo mode still - run the Plug and Play setup and choose Home mode, and you will have all your setting remembered. Infact it actually remembers separate settings for each input

I woulda thought if you spend that kinda money on a tv, you would read the manual :P Sounds like you just have it in Shop/Demo mode still - run the Plug and Play setup and choose Home mode, and you will have all your setting remembered. Infact it actually remembers separate settings for each input

I have tried that on 5 separate occasions now, and still the same problem. :angry: I have tried both shop and home settings....neither is any good. Maybe there is something wrong with the TV. In fact the TV is reverting to the dynamic mode after about 5 minutes on its own even without being switched off..... Not very pleased.....

thanks for replying though.....

Any other ideas.

I have tried that on 5 separate occasions now, and still the same problem. :angry: I have tried both shop and home settings....neither is any good. Maybe there is something wrong with the TV. In fact the TV is reverting to the dynamic mode after about 5 minutes on its own even without being switched off..... Not very pleased.....

thanks for replying though.....

Any other ideas.

By the way just to be certain, angry at the TV not the reply.... Don't want to get anyone off side...

Thanks again.

It is all good. I managed to reset the settings and start over which seems to have fixed the problem. Perhaps I was too hasty in the set up processes. Must confess I did get very frustrated. In any case love the TV it is fantastic.

Must not be my lucky day or lucky TV. TV is not yet 24 hours old, turned it on just now and all I have is a white picture (appears almost like a negative image)... No blacks at all and hardly any colour at all. Think maybe I do have a dud TV.

Looks like I'll be getting in contact with the supplier tomorrow for a replacement... (hopefully they do replace) otherwise I will have to get Samsung in to fix it.

What a downer......

Paul Simon