Sign in to follow this  
JasonInMelbourne

Samsung 1080p Owners

I was considering buying from them myself so I actually posted about opalia in another forum post 673 here

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...mp;#entry660832

but no one had bought from them yet, and everyone seems hesitant to. These guys (abit) are selling for $3855.00 and their website looks a little better:

http://www.abit.com.au/computer-system/947...ACK_LCD_TV.aspx

It's interesting to note that opalia states it only has one HDMI input. Go figure. They've also just started popping up on eBay too.

I was considering buying from them myself so I actually posted about opalia in another forum post 673 here

but no one had bought from them yet, and everyone seems hesitant to. These guys (abit) are selling for $3855.00 and their website looks a little better:

It's interesting to note that opalia states it only has one HDMI input. Go figure. They've also just started popping up on eBay too.

I've emailed the Opalia guy and he's confirmed with the distributor that it is indeed the same as LA46M81BDX/BD i.e. the same as in the stores. But it is probably a different supplier to those in the store. Cost price for the chain retail stores is around the $3825 mark. Whether that supplier is any worse off than the supply from the chain retail stores.... i wouldnt know.... BTW, the Sammy I got was Made in China even though it was bought at Harveys.... It would be safe to assume they're all made in China then regardless of distributor...

There isn't such thing as that model coming in just 1 HDMI input anyway... it's just the information given by the distributor, probably just entered in the side 1 HDMI input instead of 3 in total.

Anyone having probs when switching from DTV to the HDMI inputs. I have to turn the TV off and on again for it to show a picture.

I checked their website and they have a no returns policy. Turned me right off, but I did get $3 900 from HN for a 46".

Christopher

I checked their website and they have a no returns policy. Turned me right off, but I did get $3 900 from HN for a 46".

Christopher

I went to HN for the same reason.... just in case anything goes wrong... HN are more likely to help you as they've got their rep on the line.

Christopher

Which Harvey Norman was that? Also do you remember the name of the sales guy?

Anyone having probs when switching from DTV to the HDMI inputs. I have to turn the TV off and on again for it to show a picture.

I have experienced the same problem as u, except if the tv is turned off on normal tv and then turned on again, it stays on tv as it should. But if I change it to dtv after tgat, then sometimes the picture doesnt show, it says No signal. Then if I turn it off and then on again it displays the picture again. Is that the type of thing ur getting?

Christopher

They have the standard manufacturer's warranty, so as long as you pick it up and ensure it can't be damaged by a dodgy delivery company, then you're all good.

Hi Guys,

I have spent a couple of nights doing calibrations for a 46" using "Spyder TV Pro". Great little package. Now these are the settings I have come up with for using the inbuilt digital tuner. You may or may not know that the calibration process is about plotting the color space of the input device and tuning the display until proper color representation is established. As I don't have the equipment to generate a signal through the tuner, I have done the next best thing and switched off every setting that was not available in the settings for the tuner, to my dvd player and went from there to generate some adjustments that would be close. I then did some tweaking.

The settings are as follows

Mode - Movie

Contrast - 98

Brightness - 34

Sharpness - 30

Color - 63

Tint - G53/R47

Color Tone - Warm 1

Backlight - 5

Digital NR - Off

Movie Plus - Off

Detail Settings

Black Adjust - Off

Dynamic Contrast - Off

Gamma - 0

White Balance

R Offset - 15

G Offset - 15

B Offset - 12

R Gain - 22

G Gain - 25

B Gain - 0

My Color Control

Pink - 15

Green - 15

Blue - 15

White - 15

Edge Enhancement - Off

Color Space - Wide

Energy Saving - Medium

I will post the settings I am using with dvd player in a few days but if you adopt those you will have to remember that the output of your dvd player will influence them. So tweaking will definitely be required.

Enjoy

Christopher

Which Harvey Norman was that? Also do you remember the name of the sales guy?

It was Aurbun HN in Sydney. I'll have to check the reciept to see if the guys name is on it. I'll post back later.

Christopher

They have the standard manufacturer's warranty, so as long as you pick it up and ensure it can't be damaged by a dodgy delivery company, then you're all good.

If you happen to get a set that is DOA or dead pixels you can box it up and take it right back with HN but with this company you have to deal with Samsung which could take weeks at least.

Christopher

If you happen to get a set that is DOA or dead pixels you can box it up and take it right back with HN but with this company you have to deal with Samsung which could take weeks at least.

Christopher

True, though I think the chances of DOA/dead pixels are fairly low, so it's a minimal risk I'm willing to take to save ~$200.

Each to their own though. :blink:

I have experienced the same problem as u, except if the tv is turned off on normal tv and then turned on again, it stays on tv as it should. But if I change it to dtv after tgat, then sometimes the picture doesnt show, it says No signal. Then if I turn it off and then on again it displays the picture again. Is that the type of thing ur getting?

Sort of. If i have it on DTV and switch to any HDMI it shows a blue screen with no signal. This is after i have turned the ps3 on.

If i switch the tv off and on again the picture is there. Same thing happens on my DVD player via HDMI.

I called Samsung and they said its a fault, but i would need a tech to come out as the 14day out of box cant be covered as they have no rplacement stock all stock is accounted for. Also im talking about the Samsung Q9 50" plasma but the menu's are the same so thought I would ask here.

mybrains, this is the cheapest price I've heard of and am looking to get one of these sammy's soon. Mind sharing with us where you got that price from?

Gday matie

I got the TV from Hardly Normal in moore park Sydney. This is my final barter price, not their ticket price. I also went to their top salesman - (Asian) John. He is a real shark, so watch he dosent sell you his shoes :blink:

Also, having a bing lee and DSE in the same complex is a good lever....

good luck

PS re the lip sync - I have no such issue at present so its not worrying me. This may be because I turned *off* the internal audio all together and use the stereo outlet to drive my amp. Soon Ill connect the 5.1 once I get a digital cable to suit (the amp is a Sony 5.1)

pete

You guys might want to read this article before you buy one of these Samsung units:

http://www.current.com.au/news/article/GVVFXMKGIZ.html

Obviously it's only a temporary problem but I'd want to know about it before I bought one of these at the moment

good info. this wud b a prob for most people. i personaly am interested in this tv but will now b holding out till this is sorted out

good info. this wud b a prob for most people. i personaly am interested in this tv but will now b holding out till this is sorted out

And I thought it was my antenna connection that was the problem.

Gonna have to give Samsung a call on Monday.

And I thought it was my antenna connection that was the problem.

Gonna have to give Samsung a call on Monday.

Ive contacted my local service rep who is ordering a new board....

Cheers

Steve

Do you guys think connecting some good 2.1 computer speakers to the side headphone jack would be a good idea due to the poor speakers in this unit?

Or is this a stupid idea?

Do you guys think connecting some good 2.1 computer speakers to the side headphone jack would be a good idea due to the poor speakers in this unit?

Or is this a stupid idea?

I don't think its worth connecting pc speakers to it. The speaker's on the TV aren't that bad. A proper HT setup would blow it away but it would be on par with most pc speakers.

I don't think its worth connecting pc speakers to it. The speaker's on the TV aren't that bad. A proper HT setup would blow it away but it would be on par with most pc speakers.

Yes I totally agree. If your watching general TV it is fine. If your wanting the home theatre quality, I think it is an unrealistic expectation for any TV to come up to that standard. If you leave the standard settings on it sounds a little tinny but the settings I have is

SRS TS XT - on

Equaliser settings changed to suit me.

The SRS TS XT setting seams to add some reverb which gives the sound more depth to it. Personally I like my surrond sound system for watching movies but I don't mind the TV speakers for general viewing. Any way, who needs to be hearing "Deal or no deal" in surround sound :blink::D:P :P

Christopher

Anyone know how to get into the service menu for either 46M or Q9 plasma ?

Anyone know how to get into the service menu for either 46M or Q9 plasma ?

anyone able to get the HD dvd of Digitial video essentials to work ( latest version )

cant get past the menu

anyone able to get the HD dvd of Digitial video essentials to work ( latest version )

cant get past the menu

Please don't take this the wrong way, but are you playing it in a standard or up converting DVD player. If so that might be the reason as it is ment for a HD-DVD player or drive. If you're playing it in the correct drive, it could be faulty. One way to check would be to play it in a HD-DVD player at a retailer and see if it works there. If it doesn't then you know the disc is faulty, send it back.

Christopher